BFTG - Arsenal (a)

121 posts
St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Arsenal (a)

by St Pauli » 26 Oct 2016 00:54

From what I heard, it was, to the tune of 'it's magic':

'Oh Al Habsi, he's ISIS, better believe it's not so'

Have to say I was drunk, and may have heard wrong, and in any case don't think that in itself is a racist chant, but it's a stupid and thoughtless thing to sing at our keeper, so either STFU and think about why its thoughtless, or GTFO of the Reading end.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 26 Oct 2016 00:57

To think some people pay 8-10x what I pay for a ST at the Emirates to sit in a library for 90 minutes and then queue for over an hour to get the tube home. Madness.

The game was pretty shit. Players lacked belief, gave the Arsenal team too much respect, was kinda like they turned up with the mindset of "we're the less capable team" even though on paper ours was stronger

Samuel looked good up front. I'd give everybody else a 5 except Kelly and Al-Habsi who get 7s

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 Oct 2016 01:31

blueroyals To think some people pay 8-10x what I pay for a ST at the Emirates to sit in a library for 90 minutes and then queue for over an hour to get the tube home. Madness.

The game was pretty shit. Players lacked belief, gave the Arsenal team too much respect, was kinda like they turned up with the mindset of "we're the less capable team" even though on paper ours was stronger

Samuel looked good up front. I'd give everybody else a 5 except Kelly and Al-Habsi who get 7s

Kelley gave the ball away far too much for my liking

Also from where I was sat (upper west, home end, half way line) it looked like the ball went out of play, just before their second goal?

We really lack something in the gaps between defence and attack, yet we seem to have the players with the ability

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Oct 2016 01:36

Oh well. Focus on the league now.

I didn't expect much; but I think we didn't do too badly.

To the contrary on what some have suggested I dont think samuel did that well up there this evening. People just picking him out as they haven't seen him play much. Nothing spesh IMO.

Would play Yann up top with forest and drop GMac tbh. GMac is getting found out like DW, flatters to deceive.

Kelly didn't cover himself in glory and time will tell if he can cut it. I've got a good vibe about Wayson though, great little player and done very well both times I've seen him now.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Oct 2016 02:16

Well, the journey home was like the oxf*rd trip to Mordor and my half time pie exploded giving me a gravy burn, but other than that it was fairly enjoyable.

Enjoyed this in the Evening Standard on the way in:

You'd think the writer could find one single person who had ever seen championship match who'd be able to proof it for him...apparently not.

Match was an on form premier league team with it's foot off the gas vs a developing championship side that's not quite found its feet yet. I had the feeling that Arsenal had several more gears if they were needed, but they weren't.

Kelly played a strange position that sometimes became sort of a sweeper, showed a good account of himself though.
Van Den Berg was made to look a bit old and slow. A couple of decent tackles, but stark evidence as to why we didn't see old man Beerens.
I thought Samuel was missing for large parts of the game but looked to do a bit of something with nothing a couple of times. I'm not saying he should start over Yann but i do think he should get a look off the bench occasionally.

Was in block 23 at the front of the standees. the block to my left was full of old people shouting at young people to sit down. Not a lot for atmosphere and noise in the block, 4 or 5 of us making an attempt. Fair play to the elderly lass (Royal Lady i'm looking at you...) across the aisle from me, she was giving it a right go.

Finally, i enjoyed the shouts of 'who' and the bloke in front of me incredulously shouting 'who the actual oxf*rd is that' when Arsenal brought on some of their younger subs. Meanwhile legendary superstar Danzell Gravenberch is trundling down the wing...

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Oct 2016 03:29

Glad I didn't go watched online. The usual masterclass in giving the ball away in dangerous areas which lead to the first goal. Offered nothing going forward. As usual Al habs saved us from being trashed by Arsenal reserves........... Pathetic

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Oct 2016 07:48

St Pauli Soo....

Getting to the game was a nightmare.

We could have been 4-5 down in the first 20 minutes so the result was ok.

Standing: fine. Stood all 90.

Atmosphere: bit flat but then that's inevitable taking 6000 away, was still better than the home end.

Football: could have done better, the first goal was given away, but then...see above.

Stewarding: people getting chucked out for comparing Habsi with ISIS. Not necessarily in a racist or negative way, but it was a retarded thing to chant, when you think about it, and when you got dragged out, people were applauding, and that from standing, singing fans, not your day trippers. So bear that in mind when you turn up to games at the age of 14 with your baseball cap pulled down over your eyes like a real casual. You're not. Them times are gine, deal with it, join a boxing club.

Struggling to see how any reference of Al Habsi to ISIS isn't racist or negative. oxf*rd disgusting racist scum. And that about our best player on the pitch. Shocking.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 26 Oct 2016 08:49

NewCorkSeth A picture is being shared on Facebook that seems to show Rob Holding take the ball across the line just before the Oxs second goal. Can anyone offer any insight?

I was sat right at front where it happened and it looked to me like it went over the line

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 26 Oct 2016 09:01

Sat in the home end. People in front got in 10 minutes late, sat in the wrong seats, spent the whole game on their phones (occasionally Periscoping when Giroud was warming up), left 20 minutes before the end. Not sure what they got out of the game.

And people complain about our fans :lol:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Oct 2016 09:03

CrowthorneRoyal
NewCorkSeth A picture is being shared on Facebook that seems to show Rob Holding take the ball across the line just before the Oxs second goal. Can anyone offer any insight?

I was sat right at front where it happened and it looked to me like it went over the line

In the highlights it certainly looks out and one of our defenders immediately appeals for it but is smart enough to put his hands back down and try to defend.
From the highlights Al-Habsi looked in great form! some of his saves were top notch.

In the first half before the goal Lucas Perez squares the ball for an oncoming Arsenal player and I think Watson bursts ahead to intercept it. I hope hes as good as I have built him up in my head.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Oct 2016 09:04

RoyalX Sat in the home end. People in front got in 10 minutes late, sat in the wrong seats, spent the whole game on their phones (occasionally Periscoping when Giroud was warming up), left 20 minutes before the end. Not sure what they got out of the game.

And people complain about our fans :lol:

Instagram likes?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Oct 2016 09:05

Stood all game (block25), atmosphere fine, and streets better than Arsenal. Dunno how people complain about the Mad Stad when you see how quiet 55,000 of that lot are.

I thought we did OK, without really creating much. But absolutely gift-wrapped that first goal, which was very frustrating.
Ratings in the Times back that up. All 5s and 6s for us. Mostly 5s and 6s for Arsenal - but two 7s. That was the real difference. When we made mistakes, they capitalised. When they did, we didn't.

VDB has a few too many mistakes in him for a player his age - I'll accept Kelly getting sloppy in possession and giving it away cheaply because he's a work in progress, and still learning. But it's more annoying from VDB. Samuel was decent enough, but our best attacks were when Yann came on - I think he's still a better option. Samuel should get more chances off the bench than he is doing though.

In case anybody's interested, here's the ratings from The Times.

Al Habsi (6)
Watson (5)
Moore (5)
Blackett (5)
Obita (5)
Kelly (6)
McCleary (6)
Van Den Berg (6)
Evans (6)
Harriott (6)
Samuel (6)

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 26 Oct 2016 09:16

Jagermesiter1871
St Pauli Soo....

Atmosphere: bit flat but then that's inevitable taking 6000 away, was still better than the home end.

Football: could have done better, the first goal was given away, but then...see above.

Stewarding: people getting chucked out for comparing Habsi with ISIS. Not necessarily in a racist or negative way, but it was a retarded thing to chant, when you think about it, and when you got dragged out, people were applauding, and that from standing, singing fans, not your day trippers. So bear that in mind when you turn up to games at the age of 14 with your baseball cap pulled down over your eyes like a real casual. You're not. Them times are gine, deal with it, join a boxing club.

Struggling to see how any reference of Al Habsi to ISIS isn't racist or negative. oxf*rd disgusting racist scum. And that about our best player on the pitch. Shocking.

Agree with the Al Habsi thing, when we were down and out at Brentford, we were amusing ourselves with shit chants, mostly aimed at their keeper, and then one bloke tries this ISIS chant and everyone just fell silent and awkward for 5 minutes. It's just not needed.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 26 Oct 2016 09:17

leon
jd82 Might be my only chance to be first home (shout out to TF)

Pretty much a non-event. Lost the game to two poor goals, didn't offer much going the other way. Away fans never really got going, possibly due to some over enthusiastic stewarding. 4/10

A little harsh. Which part of North London do you live?

Possibly Leon, possibly. Just a little disappointed with our team choice, and the way we conceded the first. Although as others have said we could have been 3/4 down by that point were it not for some woeful finishing, and some top saves from AAH.

Being sat right in front of the arbitrary line where the stewards decided to enforce the no standing didn't help.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Oct 2016 09:28

Stockport Royal
Jagermesiter1871
St Pauli Soo....

Agree with the Al Habsi thing, when we were down and out at Brentford, we were amusing ourselves with shit chants, mostly aimed at their keeper, and then one bloke tries this ISIS chant and everyone just fell silent and awkward for 5 minutes. It's just not needed.

Indeed, Muslims get enough shit association with ISIS already without situations where people who are meant to be supporting you start chanting about ISIS.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Oct 2016 09:34

I thought we were ok. Nothing more really. Still it was an enjoyable game for me, despite sitting amongst surely the most clueless home support in the country and the train issues

While it could be claimed it was 'Arsenal' reserves, you are still talking about England internationals, 17mill strikers and some of the best young players in the country. To be fair, I thought Alex OC was very good for them, and probably the main difference between the sides.

Samuel looks a decent enough player to me and worth a go. Considering he got so little of the ball, he seems to have a bit of pace and strength, and held the ball up excellently on a couple of occasions. A bit rusty as expected.

Kelly started fantastically well but became sloppy with his passing. Potential but needs games. Midfield and wingers were generally a bit disappointing.

Have a feeling that back 4 may be what Stam sees as the future, and to be fair I thought it was pretty good against a good attacking side. I thought Obita deserved a bit more praise than he is getting, I thought he was solid, provided an outlet and looked comfortable at that level.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Oct 2016 09:36

Thanks to those on Twatter who told me about the train issues.

We were just leaving house to walk to Martins Heron train station. I checked train to Reading and it was on time. I then did a routine check on Twitter and saw all the issues regarding line closures.

Pretty p1ss poor match day experience at Arsenal. Very similar to my thoughts when we played them in the PL. Arsenal fans are a breed of their own.

I'm delighted we got punished for fukimg around at the back. It's about time those d1cks stopped gambling with stupid back passes and risky moves.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Oct 2016 09:37

I think I know exactly the group of lads who sing that, I heard it last season up in Y25 as I had my season ticket there.

Was one of them fairly overweight, blondish hair?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Oct 2016 09:42

If it's the Y25 lot there's a few different individuals it could be.

You have the guys who have that fat ginger person there and the taller darker haired guy - think he's called Tommy. Those boys (I mean that in the literal sense) are just a nuisance.

Standing up at away games at the front - for the SOLE reason to be seen to be standing and looked at.

That ginger guy I saw being spoken to in Shepherd's Bush by the police. He was arguing with two cops about something and having his details taken.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Oct 2016 10:02

Serious question.

When you saw the team Reading put out, did you a feel a little deflated and let down? 5,000+ fans paying good money, many taking the day/afternoon off work.

No disrespect to the players involved, it's good experience for them. But so early on in the season with no obvious sign of a promotion charge I thought Stam would have put out a stronger team than that.

I can understand teams who are competing in Europe and have a busy schedule coming up. But a Tuesday game after a Saturday game, surely most of those that played at Rotherham could have managed the chance to play at the Emirates?

121 posts