Pauno out

3542 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pauno out

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jan 2022 18:00

AthleticoSpizz
Royal_jimmy Paunovic out
yes, you’ve mentioned it once or twice today.
No relevance, but out of interest, when was the last time that you actually went to a game?

The Swansea game

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2022 18:00

Ok

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2022 18:44

Pepe the Horseman How many two goal leads have we thrown away this season now? Again could see it coming a mile off.

Rhetorical I know but to pick up just 2 points from home games where the game situations were:

Reading 3 QPR 1 - 11 mins to play
Reading 2 Blackpool 0 - 21 mins to play
Reading 2 Derby 0 - 4 mins to play.

is unforgivable. To have it happen once, fine thats football but that's a terrible pattern there and all in front of an understandably dwindling crowd.

Less than a half of football where we have let in 7 goals and lost 7 points. Difference between a nervous 21st and a relatively comfortable 16th.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Jan 2022 18:56

I’m still Pauno in…but more because I don’t think the club will do a decent job of finding someone to get us out of the mess we’re in. The club is a shambles from to to bottom. ANOTHER summer reset is coming isn’t it… :roll:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2022 19:20

If there is going to be a 'reset', if we already know that a good chunk of the squad won't be with us next season, then i'm thinking that we should make the change at some point in the next few months. I don't think it's fair on Pauno - he's been put in crap situations from the start. But he's frankly an untested manager who has done little to convince that he knows what he's doing at this level. I would prefer that we just get in someone with some proven ability and let them start again. But then we need to have at least a season of support for the new manager regardless (well almost) of what goes on on the pitch. I'm fed up with all the short-termist thinking that says that a manager is only ever 6 games away from being fired - we need to start putting down solid foundations and do the hard work of building over a few years.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jan 2022 19:45

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman How many two goal leads have we thrown away this season now? Again could see it coming a mile off.

Rhetorical I know but to pick up just 2 points from home games where the game situations were:

is unforgivable. To have it happen once, fine thats football but that's a terrible pattern there and all in front of an understandably dwindling crowd.

Less than a half of football where we have let in 7 goals and lost 7 points. Difference between a nervous 21st and a relatively comfortable 16th.

One very good save from Southwood against Fulham in the last minute from the trick being repeated a fourth time too

The one goal leads we maintained against Preston, Boro and Cardiff also involved us hanging onto the skin of our teeth too. The obsession with retreating into our shell once we go ahead is bewildering

Said at the start of the season the issues were a lot deeper than blaming the trio of Rafael, Moore and Morrison as we allow so many crosses into our box time and time again. Guess that stands true with the same problems evident with Southwood, Holmes and Dann. The whole approach has to change to relieve some pressure on the defence but with Paunovic in charge, it isn’t going to

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2022 19:50

Kitsondinho I’m still Pauno in…but more because I don’t think the club will do a decent job of finding someone to get us out of the mess we’re in. The club is a shambles from to to bottom. ANOTHER summer reset is coming isn’t it… :roll:

I'm all for the summer reset.

I don’t think anyone we panic bring in now is substantially more likely to keep us up. They're certainly not very likely to do more than keep us up and be in the same boat this time next year.

So, let's have Pauno see out his contract. Then we know what our recruitment need actually is, what our goal is, what division we'll be in, what playing staff we need. We put in a clear break between this season and next.

If we change this month, we'll get some no mark with no Champ experience, who'll make some short termist signings we end up stuck with for longer than we want and potentially for the wrong circumstances.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Jan 2022 19:57

I just don’t understand why we try and defend any kind of lead for so long. We’re not vintage abromovic Chelsea, we are a lowly championship side with a very real danger of becoming a league one side.

Sitting deeper and deeper and surrendering possession to the opposition is a recipe for disaster. Chances will happen and mistakes will be made.

This pcunt is hopeless he is incapable of learning. We do the same shit over and over and expect different results. It’s insanity.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jan 2022 20:24

CountryRoyal I just don’t understand why we try and defend any kind of lead for so long. We’re not vintage abromovic Chelsea, we are a lowly championship side with a very real danger of becoming a league one side.

Sitting deeper and deeper and surrendering possession to the opposition is a recipe for disaster. Chances will happen and mistakes will be made.

This pcunt is hopeless he is incapable of learning. We do the same shit over and over and expect different results. It’s insanity.

Alas this is the conclusion I've come to,

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2022 21:09

URZZZZ
Stranded

One very good save from Southwood against Fulham in the last minute from the trick being repeated a fourth time too

The one goal leads we maintained against Preston, Boro and Cardiff also involved us hanging onto the skin of our teeth too. The obsession with retreating into our shell once we go ahead is bewildering

Said at the start of the season the issues were a lot deeper than blaming the trio of Rafael, Moore and Morrison as we allow so many crosses into our box time and time again. Guess that stands true with the same problems evident with Southwood, Holmes and Dann. The whole approach has to change to relieve some pressure on the defence but with Paunovic in charge, it isn’t going to

Yep 100%

We came out second half today to sit back. First ten mins we barely got out of our half, got a second out of nowhere and retreated even more into our shell

We seem to let wingers have tons of space on the flanks just to swing balls in over and over again. I’m Not sure if this is a tactic or our full backs are poor defensively. Eventually one falls for the opposition, despite the fact we actually defended pretty well today, esp from corners

We have to get on the front foot when we go a goal up. Said on the other thread we aren’t good enough to hold onto leads consistently by defending - would far rather us go for the jugular, get a 3rd and 4th if we can rather than go deeper and deeper. Esp on a game like today where Carroll was all over their CBs and we seemed to create far more chances than our possession deserved

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2022 21:23

Hound
URZZZZ
Stranded

Yep 100%

We came out second half today to sit back. First ten mins we barely got out of our half, got a second out of nowhere and retreated even more into our shell

We seem to let wingers have tons of space on the flanks just to swing balls in over and over again. I’m Not sure if this is a tactic or our full backs are poor defensively. Eventually one falls for the opposition, despite the fact we actually defended pretty well today, esp from corners

We have to get on the front foot when we go a goal up. Said on the other thread we aren’t good enough to hold onto leads consistently by defending - would far rather us go for the jugular, get a 3rd and 4th if we can rather than go deeper and deeper. Esp on a game like today where Carroll was all over their CBs and we seemed to create far more chances than our possession deserved

Yep very much so which is why I don’t blame our defence. We were set up to sit deep right from the off in the second half allowing them to get the ball out wide at will. Just like the Blackpool game and inevitably our defence was going to crack. Pauno isn’t learning so I expect more of the same. It’s never a good sign when a team concede so many late goals, Stoke, Coventry, QPR, Blackpool and Derby goals have cost us 8 points. We may well pay for it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2022 21:35

Zip
Hound
URZZZZ

Yep 100%

Yep very much so which is why I don’t blame our defence. We were set up to sit deep right from the off in the second half allowing them to get the ball out wide at will. Just like the Blackpool game and inevitably our defence was going to crack. Pauno isn’t learning so I expect more of the same. It’s never a good sign when a team concede so many late goals, Stoke, Coventry, QPR, Blackpool and Derby goals have cost us 8 points. We may well pay for it.

Whilst it is a worrying trend I'm not sure I can blame him so much for today. I just don't think we had enough fitness in the players or options available to change it. Having said that, even if we did, I wouldn't have been confident either.

Let's not add that our victory against Peterborough saw Clarke-Harris head wide when he was free 6 yards from goal. Could have very easily dropped more points that night as well.

We are soft. A stat is that we have never had a red card during Pauno's time in charge. Whilst I would never want any of our players to get sent off obviously, how many players in our squad would you think could get sent off? A better way to put it would be, who would you say the aggressive characters are in the team? We've got some big players with broad shoulders such as Moore, Dann, Joao etc, but who do you think would be the first player to get aggressive in the dressing room? I'm seriously struggling to think of anyone with that kind of underbelly.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2022 21:43

Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho I’m still Pauno in…but more because I don’t think the club will do a decent job of finding someone to get us out of the mess we’re in. The club is a shambles from to to bottom. ANOTHER summer reset is coming isn’t it… :roll:

I don’t think anyone we panic bring in now is substantially more likely to keep us up. They're certainly not very likely to do more than keep us up and be in the same boat this time next year.

So, let's have Pauno see out his contract. Then we know what our recruitment need actually is, what our goal is, what division we'll be in, what playing staff we need. We put in a clear break between this season and next.

If we change this month, we'll get some no mark with no Champ experience, who'll make some short termist signings we end up stuck with for longer than we want and potentially for the wrong circumstances.

The problem with a summer reset involving the manager going in May, is it potentially wastes a few weeks of a shortened summer recruiting the new man before he even gets chance to sign some players.

If the reset involves the manager then he needs to go earlier so we can sort the right contracts and plan with the man we plan to have in charge not a dead man walking.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2022 21:48

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip
Hound
Yep 100%

Whilst it is a worrying trend I'm not sure I can blame him so much for today. I just don't think we had enough fitness in the players or options available to change it. Having said that, even if we did, I wouldn't have been confident either.

Let's not add that our victory against Peterborough saw Clarke-Harris head wide when he was free 6 yards from goal. Could have very easily dropped more points that night as well.

We are soft. A stat is that we have never had a red card during Pauno's time in charge. Whilst I would never want any of our players to get sent off obviously, how many players in our squad would you think could get sent off? A better way to put it would be, who would you say the aggressive characters are in the team? We've got some big players with broad shoulders such as Moore, Dann, Joao etc, but who do you think would be the first player to get aggressive in the dressing room? I'm seriously struggling to think of anyone with that kind of underbelly.

I’d say Drinkwater.He is at least a ballwinner. We have no others in midfield that can win 50/50 tackles like he can.
Yes we are too soft but have started conceding really silly free-kicks more often as the season has progressed.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2022 21:50

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

The problem with a summer reset involving the manager going in May, is it potentially wastes a few weeks of a shortened summer recruiting the new man before he even gets chance to sign some players.

If the reset involves the manager then he needs to go earlier so we can sort the right contracts and plan with the man we plan to have in charge not a dead man walking.

The proper reset button happens not this summer, but the one after once the whole uncertainty around the business plan and points deduction has hopefully blown over. We will lose a lot of players this summer but bringing a new manager through the door will only suffer the same circumstances as Pauno this time around, probably more so.

If we really want a strategy, keeping Pauno until at least next summer and then if we have to change, regardless of where we are, we should. Let's be fair on the man (Pauno), unable to spend a penny to recruit players that can aptly fit into his style of play, I'm not surprised his back is against the wall and he would have to be here for 3 full seasons (at least) before he is allowed to even properly build what he wants (as that's when we SHOULD comply with our business plan and be EFL free). I get the feeling Pauno is right man, wrong time.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2022 21:52

That's what I mean re Drinkwater. I'm genuinely struggling to think who the aggressive characters in this squad are, if any. Whilst there are obvious downsides to having an aggressive character or two, they can very often prove to the backbone of the team. Unfortunately we haven't recruited one as we've let some Iranian guy sign a load of high profile Bollywood players that haven't worked really. Quality players, but when have high profile, big reputation players ever worked for this club in the last two decades? Carrico, Drenthe, Puscas etc.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jan 2022 22:34

This is a situation where Bowen would do a job for us. Need a manager of steel who says it how it is. Paunovic is just too easy on the players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2022 22:54

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

And yet, our only actively good seasons in the last six or seven years have come appointing a new manager in the close season. And our next best was appointing someone internal early in the new season.

Also,the only managers we've had recently to last a whole season from start to end, are the two appointed close season.

So I just don't think that stacks as an issue.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2022 22:57

YorkshireRoyal99 That's what I mean re Drinkwater. I'm genuinely struggling to think who the aggressive characters in this squad are, if any. Whilst there are obvious downsides to having an aggressive character or two, they can very often prove to the backbone of the team. Unfortunately we haven't recruited one as we've let some Iranian guy sign a load of high profile Bollywood players that haven't worked really. Quality players, but when have high profile, big reputation players ever worked for this club in the last two decades? Carrico, Drenthe, Puscas etc.

Yiadom, McIntyre, Morrison and Laurent are all physical players who get stuck into challenges.

retro royal

by retro royal » 03 Jan 2022 23:44

Common, Midfield was sh it all day, only a matter of time before we conceded not much to do with plan b, what else can you do when all of them had an off day, Hoilet did all right with the goals but f all else

3542 posts