45%
Out
55%

Total votes: 76
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pauno in or out poll mk2

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2022 09:52

I honestly don't think sacking the manager is the answer either. Given the shape of our squad and our current financial situation I don't think there will be many managers out there now that would be able to do better in this state. The problems lie much further than Pauno, it just reflects on the pitch and he is the easy target.

He is a good manager really with a clear idea, you can see hoe we want to play and we have a very promising crop of young players. If we can manage our contract situations better and retain these youngsters, I can't think of many others I would want in the role than Pauno.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jan 2022 09:58

AthleticoSpizz Quite funny how this poll is playing out.

From the hot-head 80%+ OUT straight after the game (not sure how many votes Royal Jimmy was casting :wink: ) to the more sedate reasoned levelling-out this morning.

This.

A younger more hot-headed me of years ago would've replied early and said "I'm out now" but I know myself too well now so waited on purpose.

Not looking great though when staunch Pauno defenders like me have to pause a little before coming to his defence.

Still IN though obviously as nothing has really changed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2022 10:02

Stranded
Hound Don't disagree with the Southwood error being the big moment. It was a poor cross, and I felt at the time they'd pretty much given up - in fact it was our best period of the second half around then.

It was an inexplicable error tbh. It looks worse every time I see it.

But, an error like that could be attributed to the way we look to defend leads. We are happy to sit so far back and cede so much space wide that we have to defend cross after cross after cross. Not letting Southwood off the hook, esp as he nearly let a relatively tame shot squirm under him earlier in the half, but the more times you have to deal with a cross the higher the chance is that a defender misjudges one or a keeper drops one, punches poorly etc.

If we want to sit deep on leads, then we have to get better at stopping crosses at source.

Think he was unsettled by Derby putting 4 players on him at most corners throughout the game. No excuse really. Just one of those things

Dixie Norm

by Dixie Norm » 04 Jan 2022 11:04

The team was set up for the second half to drop deep, completely concede possession, and just hope you can get enough blocks in to stop them scoring.

My issue is that's how we approach every second half irrespective of the position we're in. Even when we're losing and have to chase for a goal we just seem to sit back! His tactics are bewildering.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2022 13:58

Out. The football is just not very good given the restrictive tactics/formation being applied and the high number of continually injured players is beyond ridiculous so reckon there must also be something wrong with the club’s fitness policy/training programme.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2022 15:02

Millsy

From the hot-head 80%+ OUT straight after the game (not sure how many votes Royal Jimmy was casting :wink: ) to the more sedate reasoned levelling-out this morning.

This.

A younger more hot-headed me of years ago would've replied early and said "I'm out now" but I know myself too well now so waited on purpose.

Not looking great though when staunch Pauno defenders like me have to pause a little before coming to his defence.

Your last sentence is precisely why people are voting out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jan 2022 15:12

leon
Millsy

This.

That's the problem and I get that, but anyone expecting poor form, ridiculous subs and inability to positively affect games for most of last season to change for the BETTER after losing Richards/Olise, the embargo and then the Injuryfest needs their head read.

Be out, that's fine, but then you should've joined the handful of us who disliked him last year after that ridiculous capitulation. But no, the overwhelming sheepish majority except the likes of CR, me and maybe one or two others kept jizzing over the final league position instead of the how we got there.

No point bedwetting now when your fairytale dreams of Capitulation-Pauno suddenly turning good with even LESS resources are shattered by the cold light of reality.

That's probably why I can step up to his defence now as I never thought much of him and can only see an improvement given the circumstances and nothing has changed for the WORSE as far as I'm concerned. The fairytale bedwetters though yeah... we're not going to finish 7th, must sack now!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Jan 2022 15:18

Millsy Ok now the dust has settled, all I'm really hearing for this sudden backlash of people suddenly switching from IN/fence to OUT is that we didn't defend a 2-0 lead well enough. Really? SACK him at this stage because of this!?!?????

Against a side with (according to Dellor iirc) the 2nd best defensive record in the league? So we can ignore going 2 up against such a side. Fitness is a bollocks excuse but there is no doubt we're lacking a right back, and the one we did have got somehow injured and so we ended bringing on our 77th choice right back instead.

Really? We're suddenly mad at Pauno because he was unable to hold a 2-0 lead and was too defensive?

You'd have thought we were walloped 7-0 the way some of us are bedwetting.

Whatever your position is, in or out, that's fine and you're entitled to it, but for the life of me I can't see how just about failing to hold onto a 2-0 lead means one can change position.

Knee-jerk voting.

It might be knee jerk if it was the first time it's happened. But three fcuking times. At home. In half a season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jan 2022 15:19

Pepe the Horseman
Millsy Ok now the dust has settled, all I'm really hearing for this sudden backlash of people suddenly switching from IN/fence to OUT is that we didn't defend a 2-0 lead well enough. Really? SACK him at this stage because of this!?!?????

Against a side with (according to Dellor iirc) the 2nd best defensive record in the league? So we can ignore going 2 up against such a side. Fitness is a bollocks excuse but there is no doubt we're lacking a right back, and the one we did have got somehow injured and so we ended bringing on our 77th choice right back instead.

Really? We're suddenly mad at Pauno because he was unable to hold a 2-0 lead and was too defensive?

Whatever your position is, in or out, that's fine and you're entitled to it, but for the life of me I can't see how just about failing to hold onto a 2-0 lead means one can change position.

Knee-jerk voting.

It might be knee jerk if it was the first time it's happened. But three fcuking times. At home. In half a season.

And every time there were knee jerks posts.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2022 15:20

Millsy
leon
Millsy
This.

That's the problem and I get that, but anyone expecting poor form, ridiculous subs and inability to positively affect games for most of last season to change for the BETTER after losing Richards/Olise, the embargo and then the Injuryfest needs their head read.

Be out, that's fine, but then you should've joined the handful of us who disliked him last year after that ridiculous capitulation. But no, the overwhelming sheepish majority except the likes of CR, me and maybe one or two others kept jizzing over the final league position instead of the how we got there.

No point bedwetting now when your fairytale dreams of Capitulation-Pauno suddenly turning good with even LESS resources are shattered by the cold light of reality.

That's probably why I can step up to his defence now as I never thought much of him and can only see an improvement given the circumstances and nothing has changed for the WORSE as far as I'm concerned. The fairytale bedwetters though yeah... we're not going to finish 7th, must sack now!

You’re odd.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Jan 2022 15:28

Millsy
Pepe the Horseman

Knee-jerk voting.

The first time maybe. The second time he got a bit of a bye because it was on the back of a good run of form. But the third time is unacceptable. That's not knee jerk, that's watching the same thing happen over and over again, and realising that this guy clearly doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2022 15:39

Waste of time and money sacking him now, he's gone in the summer regardless. Who would take us on now, they're on a hiding to nothing?

End of season, relegated or not, at least a new manager will have time to sort out the squad to his/her (you'd never know!) liking, and have a pre-season. Right now, any kind of training or reorganisation is going to be extremely limited based on covid and injuries. If we were guaranteed we would stay up with a new manager in, then yeah, but I don't think we would be.

I like Pauno, he's clearly a decent guy, if extremely stubborn! But his default position when stressed is defensive, and that communicates to the players. I thought the substitutions last game actually weren't particularly negative, unlike previous games, are we really complaining that he brought on fresh legs with Camara and Azeez? So IMO he's actually got slightly better from that respect. And, regardless of whatever mindset he was transmitting to the players - it's entirely up to the players themselves if they can't hold on to the ball, defensive or not.

My biggest peeve is all players back defending a corner. If we'd a few more up-field, they'd have had less players to crowd Southwood in the box, because they'd have had something else to think about.

Maybe, just maybe, a new manager might have made the players play differently in the last 10 minutes, and would improve defending from corners.
But, personally, I think we'd be better off replacing the medical team and the fitness coaches.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2022 16:08

Barney Sadly, I think he has to go. I would prefer stability, but we simply have to stay up.

Get rid tomorrow, and bring someone in who MAY keep us up.

I guess by 'someone' you are referring to Jesus Christ so that he can heal the sick, make the cripples walk and rustle up a few loaves & fishes to finance new contracts because that and the EFL sanctions, not the manager, are the reason we're currently hovering above the relegation zone. Few, if any managers are likely to do any better given the hand dealt.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Jan 2022 16:20

I suppose it is quite frustrating to get a points deduction for our over-spending after 2 seasons of being under an embargo and being in one of our worst positions to deal with it rather than when we were spending something like £10m on Puscas and £5m on Joao a few seasons ago.

I suppose you can't punish at a time when most of the overspending happened because it's not usually at the climax of the 3 season period of accounting.

That said I think Pauno should keep us up, even if we somehow manage to maintain this ridiculous amount of player absences for the season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jan 2022 16:36

Pepe the Horseman
Millsy
Pepe the Horseman It might be knee jerk if it was the first time it's happened. But three fcuking times. At home. In half a season.

The first time maybe. The second time he got a bit of a bye because it was on the back of a good run of form. But the third time is unacceptable. That's not knee jerk, that's watching the same thing happen over and over again, and realising that this guy clearly doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Ok.

I'd be really interested to know, genuinely, what the football experts would do here. If our beloved Southwood hadn't made yet another ballsup we'd have won likely 2-0 and few people would've moaned about a defensive 30mins. Fans are so good at hindsight vision.

First sub - Araruna. Forced, had no choice. Worked out fine.
Second sub - Azeez. Couldn't fault it at all. Hal tiring with his short legs, Azeez bright and energetic, almost scored - attacking move.
Third sub - Camara. Late but a reasonable response. Swift bloody awful. Camara almost instant impact quick break to Azeez who was unlucky not to score.

What would you do? Keep tired and slow Hal on? Keep the awful Swift on? Take Hoilett or Carroll off who were both brilliant, for toothless Puscas? Or even Clarke for that matter?

So then what,... bring Clarke on for... whom? Go 4-4-2 when you're winning the game?

I've sometimes felt like a lone voice beratign Pauno for not going 4-4-2 when chasing a game and he's now learned to do that. But when you're 1 or 2 goals up and you're 4-5-1, what do you do, go 4-4-2? Go 4-6-0? Other than swap shit tired or injured players what else can you do?

Genuine question, I'm failing to see what major tactical error cost us this game because if there was an obvious thing to do I don't see it and I normally point out what I think.

So it just boils down to, what... not telling the players to go gung-ho and try to get a third? So you tell your tired players who have been so effective all game at countering and scoring 2 goals against one of the best defences in the league (allegedly), who despite 70% possession didn't win... scrap that and suddenly go on the major offensive?

Can you imagine the uproar if going for the third we'd let in a goal or two then?

Yes of course perhaps a better manager can inspire and set up teams better to be more resilient when we have the lead, but I don't see that as a major crime, just something he can work on. It's not like he made one major blunder. it's the players on the pitch who have to take responsibility for not digging their heels in, the likes of Swift et al who didn't seem to give enough of a shit.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Jan 2022 16:38

Pepe the Horseman
Millsy
Pepe the Horseman It might be knee jerk if it was the first time it's happened. But three fcuking times. At home. In half a season.

It's quotes like this that get me "we executed our game-plan perfectly...until we conceded a goal, I don't think we had too many problems"

Riding your luck is not a game-plan.

We stopped playing, losing all shape, which meant that when we did get the ball, we could barely string two passes together. I'm really not sure how we managed to add a 2nd.

What's worse is that there wasn't any need for it. Derby had done nothing in the first half to suggest 45 minutes of backs to the wall football was necessary. If we'd been away you could sort of understand it, as it would get the home fans frustrated and they might start getting on the players' backs, but all we did was hand the initiative to Derby.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jan 2022 16:41

So scoring 2 goals against one of the league's best defences = luck.

Opposition scoring from a major keeper ballsup and then sneaking a last minute equaliser = totally Pauno's (not the players') fault.

Ok bro.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2022 16:48

Millsy Can you imagine the uproar if going for the third we'd let in a goal or two then?

the likes of Swift et al who didn't seem to give enough of a shit.

Don't think thats true to be honest - if we'd kept attacking, and conceding then I for one would have been more forgiving based on previous games this season. Obvs not going gung ho, but not retreating into some compact shell on the edge of the box and letting them have all the possession

Was possibly an option to bring on Puscas for Swift - Swift was playing no. 10 anyway so two up wouldn't have been a huge change. I think tbf to Swift of all the players to have looked to have give a shit this season, he is prob top of that list. I do think he probably was unfit for one reason or another, can't remember him seeming so lethargic.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2022 16:53

Millsy
Pepe the Horseman
Millsy

Ok.

I'd be really interested to know, genuinely, what the football experts would do here. If our beloved Southwood hadn't made yet another ballsup we'd have won likely 2-0 and few people would've moaned about a defensive 30mins. Fans are so good at hindsight vision.

First sub - Araruna. Forced, had no choice. Worked out fine.
Second sub - Azeez. Couldn't fault it at all. Hal tiring with his short legs, Azeez bright and energetic, almost scored - attacking move.
Third sub - Camara. Late but a reasonable response. Swift bloody awful. Camara almost instant impact quick break to Azeez who was unlucky not to score.

What would you do? Keep tired and slow Hal on? Keep the awful Swift on? Take Hoilett or Carroll off who were both brilliant, for toothless Puscas? Or even Clarke for that matter?

So then what,... bring Clarke on for... whom? Go 4-4-2 when you're winning the game?

I've sometimes felt like a lone voice beratign Pauno for not going 4-4-2 when chasing a game and he's now learned to do that. But when you're 1 or 2 goals up and you're 4-5-1, what do you do, go 4-4-2? Go 4-6-0? Other than swap shit tired or injured players what else can you do?

Genuine question, I'm failing to see what major tactical error cost us this game because if there was an obvious thing to do I don't see it and I normally point out what I think.

So it just boils down to, what... not telling the players to go gung-ho and try to get a third? So you tell your tired players who have been so effective all game at countering and scoring 2 goals against one of the best defences in the league (allegedly), who despite 70% possession didn't win... scrap that and suddenly go on the major offensive?

Can you imagine the uproar if going for the third we'd let in a goal or two then?

Yes of course perhaps a better manager can inspire and set up teams better to be more resilient when we have the lead, but I don't see that as a major crime, just something he can work on. It's not like he made one major blunder. it's the players on the pitch who have to take responsibility for not digging their heels in, the likes of Swift et al who didn't seem to give enough of a shit.

I think the main thing would have been to set us up differently so we had more a foothold in the game and weren't just conceding possession and inviting pressure all the time.

Probably would have swapped TDB and Laurent's roles around. Absolutely would not be asking Laurent and TDB to play as 3rd and 4th centre backs in our defensive shape, but screening in front of them.

I'd also be demanding more crosses into Carroll from Swift, Hoilett, Rahman, Halilovic and Ashcroft/Araruna, with Swift, TDB, Hoilett and Halilovic ordered to attack the box depending on circumstances so Carroll isn't the only one there.

Carroll averages less than 2 shots a game. In fact we've only got two players who average 2 at all. If we want to score goals, we need that to improve. And if we want that to improve, particularly for Carroll, we need to swing good crosses in to him. We put in 2 good balls, one he nearly scored, the second Hoilett did score from the second ball off Holmes' header. We're one of the worst teams in the division for putting crosses into the box and we're playing Andy oxf*rd Carroll upfront. It's moronic.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Jan 2022 16:55

Snowflake Royal In by default.

He's likely to go end of season anyway. It's not like we'll do a good job of replacing him anyway, especially mid-season.

Not exactly a fan of his and I'm passed caring if he does go.

But this seems rather pathetically kneejerk and axe grindy after 3 weeks without a game.

My thoughts exactly, we need a change, however, we're a total mess of a club and our recent record with managers is not exactly great.
I think we will limp over the line with Pauno , so let his contract expire and then go again with someone new!

124 posts