Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

328 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

by royalp-we » 10 Jan 2022 21:25

My worry is: if a temp replacement is appointed, the players will be on the beach taking their pics for the gram in the Easter holidays.

We need someone who can kick this squad up the arse and help us finish above the dotted line.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 21:26

royalp-we My worry is: if a temp replacement is appointed, the players will be on the beach taking their pics for the gram in the Easter holidays.

We need someone who can kick this squad up the arse and help us finish above the dotted line.

That's why if it was a caretaker they should be mean and have a big stick. :D

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 10 Jan 2022 21:41

Hound Reckon Ainsworth could be persuaded. Logical step up for him

Wycombe a good club. Heard good things about their ‘academy’ and general set up. Everyone pulling in the same direction

Wycombe is a good club, you say. Why would he be persuaded to come here? We can hardly claim to be a well run club with everyone pulling in the same direction. I am sure he would think he is be better off where he is, after all he may even swap Divisions with us at the end of the season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2022 08:08

Copying this from another thread as its pertinent food for thought.

Whatever grudges anyone has against Warnock/Pardew etc, the fact remains that they are highly experienced managers at this level, won't take rubbish and knows how to get failing teams winning games again. Our fans need to drop sentiment and recognise that we need results. If we do go for a new manager then either of these 2 would increase our chances of temporarily getting the results needed to keep us up. Neither may be unpopular but even if one of them is our manager for 4 months and stops us being relegated and consequently spending 10 years in league one and two like Portsmouth and Bradford have then it's a no brainer to get one of those 2 in. Who cares about the past, we need results and must look forward in our position, not backwards.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2022 08:16

The Royal Forester
Hound Reckon Ainsworth could be persuaded. Logical step up for him

Wycombe a good club. Heard good things about their ‘academy’ and general set up. Everyone pulling in the same direction

Wycombe is a good club, you say. Why would he be persuaded to come here? We can hardly claim to be a well run club with everyone pulling in the same direction. I am sure he would think he is be better off where he is, after all he may even swap Divisions with us at the end of the season.

Well more money and more potential within the club. Be difficult to argue it wouldn’t be a step up

But yes he could well decide he’d rather stick where he is

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 09:01

Lower West
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Replacement

I don't think we should have appointed him in the first place, or that his prior experience was what we should have been looking for.

I don't see a change now being positive. I think the club needs a clean break, with a carefully made decision with careful planning on a replacement, not a rushed decision under time pressure mid-season without knowing where we'll be next season to compete in a relegation battle from the off.

I certainly think he needs to do something spectacular to have his contract extended.

Providing we survive, I think he's in with a shout of staying on for another season or two I'd say, I think continuity is important personally. I can understand why people wouldn't want him to stay on though similarly.

Pauno has no ability to work with the players at his disposal. Anybody can be a manager with a chequebook. The players have lost confidence with his methods and style. That's very apparent.

The only part of that I couldn't argue against would be players potentially losing confidence in the manager as results recently can show that. But we don't know the true story. But not any manager can be a chequebook manager and he's proven he is capable of working with the players at his disposal, it's the exact reason why he is still in a job.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 11 Jan 2022 09:56

Pardew might fancy it.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 11 Jan 2022 10:19

Never been keen on Pardew , I remember him playing Cureton in midfield and Upson at right back on one occasion, who can explain that ( not in the same game ) . Has he ever won anything ?
Saw Wycombe on tv a week ago and they certainly put more into the game than we get from Reading .

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 11 Jan 2022 10:25

Once upon a time . Never been keen on Pardew , I remember him playing Cureton in midfield and Upson at right back on one occasion, who can explain that ( not in the same game ) . Has he ever won anything ?
Saw Wycombe on tv a week ago and they certainly put more into the game than we get from Reading .

Are we only going to accept managers that have won a trophy now?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jan 2022 11:03

Hound
URZZZZ And whether we like it or not, Stam, by a fair distance, has had the most successful season since our relegation, by a considerable distance too, also presiding over our most successful transfer window since the relegation with a limited budget with some very astute signings. Of course we’re all aware how it ended up but it doesn’t divert away from the initial success.

There's something in that. Remember before the season a lot of us thought we were nailed on for relegation, and the Stam appointment was seen as something of a joke

The Thai's gave him f all budget, and through just a clear mentality and plan of action we got some good success. Seemed to be some clear thinking then that we haven't really had since we bloated the squad up

Think the Stam outrage was partly down to how McDermott was treated. Not sure many managers would have been welcomed with open arms after that

Agreed on the second para. We ticked boxes which usually go hand in hand with success in the Championship, resilience, we always seemed to bounce back from heavy defeats, an impressive knack of holding onto narrow victories and as you say, a clear and identifiable plan of action on and off the pitch. He was never a fans favourite down to his style of play and through the way he conducted himself overall, but you can’t argue with what happened initially

Would say managers just starting out can be just as competent as those managing for 30 years, really shouldn’t be a defining factor IMO

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2022 12:47

It's true. Each time we treat someone who has served the club well with no respect and sack them with no reason. The next appointee looks like a clown but has one excellent season. Sadly immediately followed by a terrible one.

So sack Pauno, appoint Parky, treat him like shit and sack him 6 weeks later because his hair 'looks funny' and we should finish top 10 next season under some random from Austria or Belgium.

The season after will be an abomination again though.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 11 Jan 2022 12:54

Who was the Leeds fella who also managed Swansea to their highest top flight finish? He did well and talks a good game. Not with a club ATM.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Jan 2022 13:58

I think the people here calling for Ainsworth are almost arrogant to think that someone of his stature would come to us. He is destined for far bigger and better things

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2022 13:58

PATRIQT Who was the Leeds fella who also managed Swansea to their highest top flight finish? He did well and talks a good game. Not with a club ATM.

Garry Monk, last seen starting Sheff Wed’s relegation season.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Jan 2022 14:36

Sadly we know we'd just get another manager connected to our agent "advisors", so they'd get a cut of the deal.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 14:46

Sutekh
PATRIQT Who was the Leeds fella who also managed Swansea to their highest top flight finish? He did well and talks a good game. Not with a club ATM.

Ironically he has been at both Sheff Wednesday and Birmingham City, who have both suffered points deductions, so he would be fitting to join ourselves. Plays a possession-based style which seems to be the theme with most of our recent managers so might not be a bad shout.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jan 2022 14:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh

Ironically he has been at both Sheff Wednesday and Birmingham City, who have both suffered points deductions, so he would be fitting to join ourselves. Plays a possession-based style which seems to be the theme with most of our recent managers so might not be a bad shout.

Didn't he get the boot from Bham for some shady transfer dealings?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 14:47

John Smith I think the people here calling for Ainsworth are almost arrogant to think that someone of his stature would come to us. He is destined for far bigger and better things

I'm not sure it's such a bad shout, I just don't think he would suit what we have now. Would have to be in the summer where basically our entire playing squad bar a few is likely to change but the board seem to favour possession-based managers.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 14:51

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh

Didn't he get the boot from Bham for some shady transfer dealings?

Not sure on that one. All I remember was it was quite an unpopular decision at the time as Brum fans seemed to believe he was doing well, which from the outside it looked as if he was. He did have Brum in a decent position all things considered.

Having said all of that, he was sacked at Swansea for doing a decent job from the outside looking in, he was sacked at Leeds for doing a decent job from the outside looking in, as well as Birmingham and Sheff Wednesday was slightly different. But the theme seems to be he was sacked for doing seemingly decent jobs, so something obviously wasn't right and it's usually around 12-18 months in his tenure.

Would fit in perfectly then with us...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Jan 2022 15:12

John Smith I think the people here calling for Ainsworth are almost arrogant to think that someone of his stature would come to us. He is destined for far bigger and better things

Ainsworth is clearly an obvious choice. I think there are very few fans of almost any club who wouldn't want him.

But yeah, too obvious, and no way in the world he'd even consider it.

328 posts