Pauno out

3542 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by andrew1957 » 12 Jan 2022 12:15

YorkshireRoyal99
andrew1957
Sanguine Well, I think we were right to stick with him to this point, and my argument previously has been that I wasn't convinced that another manager would do better with our situation - but now I'll flip that around and say that a new manager couldn't possibly do any worse than our most recent results.

I don't have the bizarre spitting hatred of Paunovic that Ian obviously does. Clearly a good guy who has tried his best and for me has at times got the team playing very good, and effective, football. But injuries, finances and the rest has made it a really tough task to get a consistent tune from the team, and I think his time is now run.

If we could convince Steve Bruce to join us (clue, we can't) I'd be happy. Warnock, yeah I'd probably close my eyes, hold my breath, and support the guy. Alex Neil would be my preference, but I don't know why he'd join us.

Just not Pulis, Hughton or Monk, please.

Good post and pretty much sums up my thoughts. Just don’t see a way back for Pauno with the fans after the last 2 results. And the players seem to have stopped playing for him too. But I just don’t have any confidence in the owners selecting a better replacement. We are likely to end up with another overseas manager with zero Championship experience and that will almost certainly mean relegation.

It is very hard to find any positives at the moment.

Said this above, our last two foreign managers, Pauno and Gomes, achieved short-term success with the club, which is what we needed under Gomes to survive and also delivered our best season since the play off final under Stam in Pauno. Even Stam himself was a success.

You can argue that Bowen and Clement (in some aspects) have been our worst appointments and they aren't foreign either. I don't think it should be overlooked as that's where the bulk of our success has come from during the Dai's era, it's just it's on borrowed time and we end up back in the same situation. But what we do need right now is short-term success, half a dozen victories that should see us survive.

Strange - I would say Bowen has been the most successful managerial appointment in recent years when you consider where we were when he took over and where we were when he got sacked. And frankly Pauno's good start was almost certainly down to the work Bowen had done. I said at the time that sacking Bowen and replacing him was a crazy decision. I have supported Pauno simply because constantly replacing managers every year gives no continuity but sadly I think his time is now done and we have to make a change or we will go down. But i would absolutely not want him replaced by yet another overseas nobody.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 12:18

andrew1957
YorkshireRoyal99
andrew1957
Good post and pretty much sums up my thoughts. Just don’t see a way back for Pauno with the fans after the last 2 results. And the players seem to have stopped playing for him too. But I just don’t have any confidence in the owners selecting a better replacement. We are likely to end up with another overseas manager with zero Championship experience and that will almost certainly mean relegation.

It is very hard to find any positives at the moment.

Said this above, our last two foreign managers, Pauno and Gomes, achieved short-term success with the club, which is what we needed under Gomes to survive and also delivered our best season since the play off final under Stam in Pauno. Even Stam himself was a success.

You can argue that Bowen and Clement (in some aspects) have been our worst appointments and they aren't foreign either. I don't think it should be overlooked as that's where the bulk of our success has come from during the Dai's era, it's just it's on borrowed time and we end up back in the same situation. But what we do need right now is short-term success, half a dozen victories that should see us survive.

Strange - I would say Bowen has been the most successful managerial appointment in recent years when you consider where we were when he took over and where we were when he got sacked. And frankly Pauno's good start was almost certainly down to the work Bowen had done. I said at the time that sacking Bowen and replacing him was a crazy decision. I have supported Pauno simply because constantly replacing managers every year gives no continuity but sadly I think his time is now done and we have to make a change or we will go down. But i would absolutely not want him replaced by yet another overseas nobody.

I did say in some aspects, there's no denying Bowen did a good job overall, but obviously some things went wrong during his tenure as well.

For the record I thought it was a bad decision to get rid of Bowen, looking now in hindsight it seems like he had the right idea, looking to move Moore and co on and was partly responsible for the Josh Laurent as well as useful, cheap options in Araruna and Masika who didn't set the world alight but were low risk for what we were paying for both.

I definitely wouldn't say Pauno's good start was down to Bowen's work though on it's own though. But either way, I think my point overall was that random foreign names shouldn't be overlooked completely when they've by and large been successful, even if it was short-term. But we'd take that right now.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2022 12:26

I'm going to wait until Sue Gray concludes her investigation on our recent results before reaching a conclusion on this.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 12 Jan 2022 12:39

Hi guys, haven't really been paying attention much in the last few years. Can someone summarise the last 90 or so pages for me?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jan 2022 12:40

Sebastian the Red Hi guys, haven't really been paying attention much in the last few years. Can someone summarise the last 90 or so pages for me?

We are f*cked.

HTH

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 12 Jan 2022 12:40

WestYorksRoyal I'm going to wait until Sue Gray concludes her investigation on our recent results before reaching a conclusion on this.

It will be interesting to see if she says Pauno or Boris should go first. Both look doomed.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Jan 2022 12:41

andrew1957
WestYorksRoyal I'm going to wait until Sue Gray concludes her investigation on our recent results before reaching a conclusion on this.

It will be interesting to see if she says Pauno or Boris should go first. Both look doomed.

Perhaps they could swap

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2022 12:55

Brogue
andrew1957

Perhaps they could swap

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 12 Jan 2022 12:57

If Pauno is not sacked before the Boro game then I am starting to get concerned that the owners have checked out and we are heading the same way as there other clubs.

After leaving at 3-0 it was also refreshing to hear Jem and Noel Hunts comments on the state of the club. That 7-0 defeat was hurting them as much as the fans. 2 players who are a great example of you dont need all the skills and tricks to make it to the top if you have work rate and application. Wish we had 10 of those kind of players right now.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Jan 2022 12:59

genome
Brogue
andrew1957

Perhaps they could swap

Looks like he tackles better than Moore.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 12 Jan 2022 13:09

7-0 loss at home should be the final straw. I can't believe it's 1pm the next day and no sign he's been shown the door.

In 27 years watching my beloved home town club, I've never known things to be this bad.

Crap manager after crap manager, financially in trouble, as a club we have zero assets which should frighten every one, we don't hire scouts any more to save money, yet throw money at a parasite like Kia to bring over-paid garbage from abroad, the fans have zero relationship with the owner or CEO, there's a total disconnect from the players, and the fans have fallen away in their tens of thousands.

Our result used to make or break my entire week. Now I can't bring myself to go to a game, and I barely shrug my shoulders when we lose yet another game. The passion for the club has gone and I miss it, but also no longer miss it. I don't know how I find my way back to wanting to be at games. I'm not sure I will now. Gone are the days I'd joyfully sit in the car 4 hours to games and home again, and throw in an hour sat in the car park listening to Ady summarise the game.

It's desperately sad to think others feel the same.

We need the owner to tell us his plan and his vision for starters.
Secondly we need a passionate British manager who can galvanise the team and bring through the youth, and then hark back to the 00's when we signed young hungry players from L1, L2 and even the likes of Antonio from lower down the pyramid.
And start reaching out to fans to bring us all together again. We need to desperately reconnect, otherwise everything SJM worked for and that we dreamed of and realised for a time, will be wasted.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 13:15

PATRIQT 7-0 loss at home should be the final straw. I can't believe it's 1pm the next day and no sign he's been shown the door.

Actually, good point.

WTF?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Jan 2022 13:31

PATRIQT 7-0 loss at home should be the final straw. I can't believe it's 1pm the next day and no sign he's been shown the door.

In 27 years watching my beloved home town club, I've never known things to be this bad.

Crap manager after crap manager, financially in trouble, as a club we have zero assets which should frighten every one, we don't hire scouts any more to save money, yet throw money at a parasite like Kia to bring over-paid garbage from abroad, the fans have zero relationship with the owner or CEO, there's a total disconnect from the players, and the fans have fallen away in their tens of thousands.

Our result used to make or break my entire week. Now I can't bring myself to go to a game, and I barely shrug my shoulders when we lose yet another game. The passion for the club has gone and I miss it, but also no longer miss it. I don't know how I find my way back to wanting to be at games. I'm not sure I will now. Gone are the days I'd joyfully sit in the car 4 hours to games and home again, and throw in an hour sat in the car park listening to Ady summarise the game.

Top post, could t agree more

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 13:36

We need the owner to tell us his plan and his vision for starters.
Secondly we need a passionate British manager who can galvanise the team and bring through the youth, and then hark back to the 00's when we signed young hungry players from L1, L2 and even the likes of Antonio from lower down the pyramid.
And start reaching out to fans to bring us all together again. We need to desperately reconnect, otherwise everything SJM worked for and that we dreamed of and realised for a time, will be wasted.

Agree with everything other than the British manager part. Not that I disagree with the reasoning, but they don't have to be British for this to happen.

I certainly agree with the fact it's 1:30pm and we still haven't received word that he has been sacked yet, surely he hasn't taken training today?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Jan 2022 13:41

TBF to the owners - if they're spending the day making sure that all the necessary due diligence is done with the firing then whether the press release is made at 1pm or 6pm doesn't make any difference. Would be a complete joke of a club that does things badly just so it can placate a few people on the interest asap.

scumbag

by scumbag » 12 Jan 2022 13:43

I'm actually disgusted that he's still in charge. Surely he doesn't make Saturday..

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 13:43

Just checking, is this bloke Kia Starmer or is it someone else?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 13:44

Elm Park Kid TBF to the owners - if they're spending the day making sure that all the necessary due diligence is done with the firing then whether the press release is made at 1pm or 6pm doesn't make any difference. Would be a complete joke of a club that does things badly just so it can placate a few people on the interest asap.

I do agree however you'd still feel that someone somewhere would be getting word of what is happening, if anything is happening. I haven't even heard a single thing on this yet and surely he can't be staying longer than today?

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 12 Jan 2022 13:45

Ascotexgunner
genome
Brogue
Perhaps they could swap

Looks like he tackles better than Moore.

I was sat about 20 rows up in front of that. Not sure what he was doing getting a game tbh.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Jan 2022 13:46

When this thread gets to 100 pages, it activates his release clause anyway.

3542 posts