Your worst 11 since supporting RFC?

124 posts
Forty

Re: Your worst 11 since supporting RFC?

by Forty » 28 Feb 2022 16:11

Some good suggestions..... worst 11 or most disappointing. If the latter ...

Must include: Fae, Evers, Reece Oxford and Aluko.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Feb 2022 16:40

Mannone

Dobson
Carrico
Duberry
Weiser

Dave Edwards
Pelle Clement
Ezatolahi

Aluko
Rakels
Popa

Honourable mentions: Paulo Hurtado, Joao Virginia, David Meyler.

It's probably a bit harsh on the overall ability of Carrico and Ezatolahi because they had/have decent reputations across Europe, but they were pants for us when they played. I'd probably say my list is more towards the most disappointing rather than just simply the worst, although some can stake a claim for both (Aluko, Mannone etc).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2022 16:50

Sanguine
Loafer Who would it be?

For me, GK is most definitely Virginia. John Halls is in, probably Vydra and Rasiak upfront. Can't think of anymore off the top of my head but I'm sure more will come.

Completely forgot Rasiak had played for us. Was he really that awful (9 in 30 league games)?

Nah, just not great and made to look worse by following Kitson, Doyle and Lita.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2022 16:53

Hendo
Elm Park Kid If we're talking about actual first team players, rather than league cup fill-ins or randoms who were quickly found out.

GK - Rafael

CB - Illori
CB - Anton Ferdinand
CB - Khizanishvili someone who was part of a team which got to a play-off final is in your worst ever XI? Ok.

LWB - Joseph Mills
DM - Akpan
CM - Popa in what universe is Popa a CM?
CM - Drenthe in what universe is Drenthe a CM?
RM -Cummings (I did like him, but he was crap defensively)

CF - McNulty I thought you weren't including people who quickly got found out?
CF - Manset

That's proper mental. How many league games did Popa start in his years here? Half that team meet the shouldn't be included criteria and almost half are out of position.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Feb 2022 16:59

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Elm Park Kid If we're talking about actual first team players, rather than league cup fill-ins or randoms who were quickly found out.

GK - Rafael

CB - Illori
CB - Anton Ferdinand
CB - Khizanishvili someone who was part of a team which got to a play-off final is in your worst ever XI? Ok.

LWB - Joseph Mills
DM - Akpan
CM - Popa in what universe is Popa a CM?
CM - Drenthe in what universe is Drenthe a CM?
RM -Cummings (I did like him, but he was crap defensively)

CF - McNulty I thought you weren't including people who quickly got found out?
CF - Manset

That's proper mental. How many league games did Popa start in his years here? Half that team meet the shouldn't be included criteria and almost half are out of position.

Part of 38 squads, played in 17 games, started 6, total of 755 minutes.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Feb 2022 17:01

Michael Meaker has to be included, mainly because we didn't get the full fee from QPR for Super Simon Osborn but got palmed off with the weedy winger as part of the transfer deal.

Otherwise some good suggestions of players that we shouldn't have seen wearing the hoops and, because of the alleged fee, Aluko has to be right up there with the worst.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Feb 2022 17:01

Surprised no-one has mentioned Mutch yet - he really was a massive let down

Eza is a strange choice - thought he looked decent in his few games here

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Feb 2022 17:15

Sanguine In defence of Bodin he was already past his best when he joined us and was a solid left-back for Swindon during their Premier League/Championship seasons.

Fair point,

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Feb 2022 17:17

South Coast Royal Michael Meaker has to be included, mainly because we didn't get the full fee from QPR for Super Simon Osborn but got palmed off with the weedy winger as part of the transfer deal.

Otherwise some good suggestions of players that we shouldn't have seen wearing the hoops and, because of the alleged fee, Aluko has to be right up there with the worst.

Wrong Meaker was far better than average.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2022 17:21

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Part of 38 squads, played in 17 games, started 6, total of 755 minutes.

Sounds like a random who was quickly found out.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 28 Feb 2022 17:28

Snowflake Royal
Orion1871 Van Der Kwaak

Halford
Kromheer
Barras
Marcus Williams

Antonio
Fae
Evers
McLaren

Brayson
Fleck

Obvious bate is obvious. :lol:

Not bait. No doubt he has been successful since but this is about RFC and he was awful when he played for us, only positive he had at that time was a long throw.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2022 17:30

I shall continue my love in for The Meaks.

Loved his cheeks puffing away as he struggled up and down the wing in front of the South Bank. It was his cross Williams turned in as an OG against Wolves.

"Reading continued to win their fair share of corners before realising perhaps they should make more of their possession and try the more direct approach. Which they did through Meaker on the half hour. Meaker did a 'Crewe' and it made you wonder if the fat one had really done his homework after watching the Royals last Saturday. Meaker played with the full back, did a sexy little 1-2 with Carl Asaba inside the area, nipped past the defender, stode goalwards and drove a cross across the face of goal to Williams. Williams slide in to put the ball past the keeper into the net. Adrian Williams that is. "Adie, Adie, Adie!". 1-0 to the Royals. And no more than we deserved."

Particularly enjoyed Adie sheepishly acknowledging the South Bank with a smile and an index finger when we politely asked him what the score was.

Lovely stuff

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Feb 2022 17:48

YorkshireRoyal99 Mannone

Dobson
Carrico
Duberry
Weiser

Dave Edwards
Pelle Clement
Ezatolahi

Aluko
Rakels
Popa

Honourable mentions: Paulo Hurtado, Joao Virginia, David Meyler.
huh? Dooooobs was ok…you’ll be including Keith Jones and Lloyd Owusu next

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Feb 2022 17:58

karbota
South Coast Royal Michael Meaker has to be included, mainly because we didn't get the full fee from QPR for Super Simon Osborn but got palmed off with the weedy winger as part of the transfer deal.

He cost us supposedly £550,000 in 1995 which would maybe be something like £2 million today perhaps or more bearing in mind the escalation of transfer fees.

He scored all of 2 goals in 67 appearances and after 3 years went off to Plymouth for a short period and then to loads of non-league teams.

As I said earlier, his arrival was part of the deal taking my favourite ever Reading player to QPR, so I would never see the best in him, if indeed there was ever a best.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Feb 2022 18:27

South Coast Royal
karbota

He cost us supposedly £550,000 in 1995 which would maybe be something like £2 million today perhaps or more bearing in mind the escalation of transfer fees.

He scored all of 2 goals in 67 appearances and after 3 years went off to Plymouth for a short period and then to loads of non-league teams.

As I said earlier, his arrival was part of the deal taking my favourite ever Reading player to QPR, so I would never see the best in him, if indeed there was ever a best.

One of many poor signings by Quinn and Gooding....the latter talks on BBC Berks like he won the league with us rather than turning McGhee's play off team to relegation fodder in 9 months

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Feb 2022 18:31

Franchise FC Any lineup without Malcolm Swain is just lazy … and wrong

Yes - problem with threads like this is that older fans can remember the really bad days in the early 1970's which were far worse than the Mad Stad era, we were lower mid table in tier 4.

Add Martin James and John Harley to the Swain era. Fred Sharpe would get a mention too, reckon I could outpace him as a school kid

Also worth mentioning the stick players got back then at Elm Park was way worse than anything recently....Swain was laughed at/ridiculed whenever he got possession from what I can remember.

Maybe we should do a thread for each decade? Can remember some really duff loanees from the 80's..,.Paul lemon Nicky Plataneur ?
Last edited by Mid Sussex Royal on 28 Feb 2022 18:36, edited 3 times in total.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 28 Feb 2022 18:33

Does Mass Saar not even get a mention?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Feb 2022 18:54

Snowflake Royal I shall continue my love in for The Meaks.

Loved his cheeks puffing away as he struggled up and down the wing in front of the South Bank. It was his cross Williams turned in as an OG against Wolves.

"Reading continued to win their fair share of corners before realising perhaps they should make more of their possession and try the more direct approach. Which they did through Meaker on the half hour. Meaker did a 'Crewe' and it made you wonder if the fat one had really done his homework after watching the Royals last Saturday. Meaker played with the full back, did a sexy little 1-2 with Carl Asaba inside the area, nipped past the defender, stode goalwards and drove a cross across the face of goal to Williams. Williams slide in to put the ball past the keeper into the net. Adrian Williams that is. "Adie, Adie, Adie!". 1-0 to the Royals. And no more than we deserved."

Particularly enjoyed Adie sheepishly acknowledging the South Bank with a smile and an index finger when we politely asked him what the score was.

Lovely stuff

That was the night Parky scored a belter and we won 4-2. League Cup I think.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 Feb 2022 18:54

Bas Savage

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Feb 2022 18:56

Mid Sussex Royal
South Coast Royal
karbota

One of many poor signings by Quinn and Gooding....the latter talks on BBC Berks like he won the league with us rather than turning McGhee's play off team to relegation fodder in 9 months

In their defence a stack of players were out of contract and at the end of the season and we lost Hislop and Osborne who didn’t want to stay.

124 posts