Your biggest disappointment XI

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Your biggest disappointment XI

by Jagermesiter1871 » 03 Mar 2022 21:56

How are people putting Matejovsky? He was class and I had no expectations of him when he joined from some no name Czech club.

Blackman I don't really get either. He was a nobody when we signed him and he was shit. Then he was incredible and left.

Drenthe and Drinkwater are the obvious choices.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Mar 2022 23:10

Jagermesiter1871 How are people putting Matejovsky? He was class and I had no expectations of him when he joined from some no name Czech club.

Blackman I don't really get either. He was a nobody when we signed him and he was shit. Then he was incredible and left.

Matejovsky is pretty much the definition of occasional moments of magic surrounded by disappointment. The guy would have been great if he could even remotely manage the pace of the game. Instead he scored the odd wonder goal and made the odd sublime pass and otherwise did nothing.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Mar 2022 09:01

SCIAG Mannone

Gunter
Ilori
Oxford
Mills

Meyler
Fae

Drenthe
Piazon
John

Pogrebnyak

It's not a bad team that really although not so sure about Gunter or Illori. Gunter was a fantastic servant for many years at the club and was reliable and solid up until maybe the last 18 months of his contract and Illori I always thought was pretty good as well and ended up getting his move higher up justifiably so in my opinion.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 04 Mar 2022 12:00

Jordon Mutch - always thought he was a solid low PL / top champ midfielder. His loan spell at Reading (especially the 7-1 at Norwich) was atrocious.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2022 12:19

YorkshireRoyal99
SCIAG Mannone

Gunter
Ilori
Oxford
Mills

Meyler
Fae

Drenthe
Piazon
John

Pogrebnyak

It's not a bad team that really although not so sure about Gunter or Illori. Gunter was a fantastic servant for many years at the club and was reliable and solid up until maybe the last 18 months of his contract and Illori I always thought was pretty good as well and ended up getting his move higher up justifiably so in my opinion.

Would probably replace John with Ejaria but don’t disagree with any of those really. Halilovic has been fairly disappointing after a promising start too and Puscas would be another contender

Gunter’s first season (in the Champ) was promising, was an athletic fullback and showed some attacking intent, seemed to retreat into his shell after that so in that regard, agree with the choice. Ilori too showed a promise originally, was excellent in the playoff games, but gave away so many goals past that, think he got away with it because VDB was the focus of everyone’s ire

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Mar 2022 17:33

YorkshireRoyal99
SCIAG Mannone

Gunter
Ilori
Oxford
Mills

Meyler
Fae

Drenthe
Piazon
John

Pogrebnyak

I don’t disagree about Gunter, he was a reliable performer for many years… in the Championship. However, he was signed for a relatively large fee to be our Premier League right back, and he failed dramatically. Southampton spent the same amount on Nathaniel Clyne. I expected him to be an asset and in the top flight he was a liability, no better than Cummings.

As for Ilori, he’s definitely not the dramatic failure that the rest of the side were but I couldn’t really think of any good contenders at centre back. Maybe Matt Mills could join his brother?

I was happy with Ilori while he was playing for us but then we signed Matt Miazga to replace him and the difference was night and day. A bit like when we signed Matejovsky and suddenly realised nobody else in our team could pass.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2022 18:43

Yeah, we really oxf*rd that didn't we. Clyne or Gunter.

It's like choosing between diamond or tin.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Mar 2022 09:30

Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871 How are people putting Matejovsky? He was class and I had no expectations of him when he joined from some no name Czech club.

Matejovsky is pretty much the definition of occasional moments of magic surrounded by disappointment. The guy would have been great if he could even remotely manage the pace of the game. Instead he scored the odd wonder goal and made the odd sublime pass and otherwise did nothing.

And his complete inablity to tackle meant he was always a yellow card waiting to happen. That home defeat to Fulham in 2008 - which decided the club's future - was lost on all the silly free kicks Matejovsky gave away, hanging his leg out for a Fulham player to happily tumble over.

He might have been able to play the occasional long ball accurately but a midefielder who can't tackle is a complete liablity in a team scrapping for survival at the bottom of the table.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 10 Mar 2022 15:13

Paul Brayson - loads of hype based on his performances for Newcastle's youth team, but couldn't make the step up.

Mass Sarr - one of the best performances I've ever seen in his home debut, next to useless after that.

Ovie Ejaria - too soon for this? I really thought he would be a far more impactful player than he has been so far.

Nathan Tyson / James Henry / Aaron Kuhl / Danny Loader / Liam Kelly / Josh Barrett etc. I feel like there's been a continuous stream of players like this, who fans get excited about as they come up from the academy, but then they drift away in to obscurity. We never learn!

under the tin

by under the tin » 10 Mar 2022 16:53

Any disappointment XI has to have both Craig Maskell and Steve Moran in it.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 10 Mar 2022 18:38

Michael Meaker , end of thread

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2022 23:21

Not sure you've got the hang of what an XI is bus.