Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Terell Thomas

by RoyalBlue » 24 Mar 2022 15:48

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Terell Thomas

by muirinho » 24 Mar 2022 15:53

Came here to say this. Here's the twitter announcement - the comments underneath from Crewe fans would not fill me with confidence!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/st ... 9746663426

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 24 Mar 2022 15:55

Just as Birmingham were showing interested.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Mar 2022 16:00

Not interested in what the Crewe fans think particularly. Obviously didn’t work out there for whatever reason, whereas he had done well at Wimbledon before

It’s cover. Believe he has a bit of pace and height. He may be able to help out this season and earn a contract next - if not, no harm done

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 24 Mar 2022 16:00

muirinho

Came here to say this. Here's the twitter announcement - the comments underneath from Crewe fans would not fill me with confidence!

Players looking for a club and a way back into the game tend to outperform previous expectations. They have a point to prove and often do.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Mar 2022 16:04

I'm very happy with this.

Great work RFC (not often you hear that thesedays).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 16:13

I’d be unsurprised if these ‘short term’ signings are actually part of the squad rebuild for next season. We don’t actually need another centre back or a winger at the moment, but getting them on board now with an agreement to extend the contract seems smart thinking.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Mar 2022 16:15

RoyalBlue
muirinho

Players looking for a club and a way back into the game tend to outperform previous expectations. They have a point to prove and often do.

Danny Drinkwater would argue against this. In fact, I probably wouldn't say they "often" do, but I take the point in concept.

Risk free signing. If he provides cover and can step in when needed, that will do for me. Anything more is a bonus. If he turns out to be of quality, hopefully we can keep him on for next season. Seems to be getting fit with the U23's so should be readily available as well thankfully.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 16:18

YorkshireRoyal99
RoyalBlue
muirinho

Danny Drinkwater would argue against this. In fact, I probably wouldn't say they "often" do, but I take the point in concept.

Risk free signing. If he provides cover and can step in when needed, that will do for me. Anything more is a bonus. If he turns out to be of quality, hopefully we can keep him on for next season. Seems to be getting fit with the U23's so should be readily available as well thankfully.

Danny Drinkwater has made his money and won his medals, he’ll be happy for his CV to earn him another contract somewhere, he won’t feel the need to prove a point on the pitch. Andy Carroll would argue in favour of RB’s point (and I half expect him to rejoin us in the summer)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Mar 2022 16:34

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
RoyalBlue

Danny Drinkwater has made his money and won his medals, he’ll be happy for his CV to earn him another contract somewhere, he won’t feel the need to prove a point on the pitch. Andy Carroll would argue in favour of RB’s point (and I half expect him to rejoin us in the summer)

Yes but he's also earned himself a reputation as arguably Chelsea's most failed signing in history, one of the greatest flop transfers in the PL era whilst being a laughing stock off the field with his endeavors when he was at Burnley getting involved in fighting outside a nightclub. Yes, he won't exactly look back on his career and believe it was "bad", but I certainly feel he's had a point to prove with people who have completely written him off during this time. I think he might have referenced this when he first joined the club.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 16:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Yes but he's also earned himself a reputation as arguably Chelsea's most failed signing in history, one of the greatest flop transfers in the PL era whilst being a laughing stock off the field with his endeavors when he was at Burnley getting involved in fighting outside a nightclub. Yes, he won't exactly look back on his career and believe it was "bad", but I certainly feel he's had a point to prove with people who have completely written him off during this time. I think he might have referenced this when he first joined the club.

LOL at him having a reputation for something you’ve just invented ! He’s not even the ‘most failed’ player in their current squad let alone their history !
If he feels he needs to prove anything do you think he’s done that ?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Mar 2022 16:43

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

LOL at him having a reputation for something you’ve just invented ! He’s not even the ‘most failed’ player in their current squad let alone their history !

I've obviously proven I've been around on social media quite a lot more actively than you have. I have seen many, many influencers and highly populated social media outlets say than Drinkwater is quite definitely up there as one of Chelsea's worst signings.

I'll show you an example.

http://chelseafconline.com/2020/05/thre ... %20million.

Granted that specifies "modern era" as opposed to all time, but I've seen it about before numerous times. In fairness, it is exaggerated to say "of all time", but then again, that's social media.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Mar 2022 16:54

Whenever I hear Terrell Thomas I see Terry-Thomas:

Cue comedy defending...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Mar 2022 16:56

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

I've obviously proven I've been around on social media quite a lot more actively than you have. I have seen many, many influencers and highly populated social media outlets say than Drinkwater is quite definitely up there as one of Chelsea's worst signings.

I'll show you an example.

http://chelseafconline.com/2020/05/thre ... %20million.

Granted that specifies "modern era" as opposed to all time, but I've seen it about before numerous times. In fairness, it is exaggerated to say "of all time", but then again, that's social media.

Has Yorkshire adopted a different form of English ?

Obviously Drinkwater has had a nightmare at Chelsea, but at least he wasn’t a world record signing, or been sacked and sued for repayment not only of his transfer fee but also the cost of signing a replacement !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2022 17:56

Hound Not interested in what the Crewe fans think particularly. Obviously didn’t work out there for whatever reason, whereas he had done well at Wimbledon before

It’s cover. Believe he has a bit of pace and height. He may be able to help out this season and earn a contract next - if not, no harm done

Yeah, he's spent the last month training with us and playing in the unders, can't say I think his time at Crewe means very much at all.

Thank fudge for someone not slower than a cart horse.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 24 Mar 2022 18:15

YorkshireRoyal99
RoyalBlue
muirinho

Ah, Danny Drinkwater, the current scapegoat of some of our fanbase (Honorary Section Chairperson, Tim Dellor) who seem unable to enjoy their football unless they have one of their own team that they can castigate week in, week out, regardless of how they perform. Those less blinkered and neutral pundits have been giving Drinkwater credit for far more positives than negatives in their game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 24 Mar 2022 18:17

Nameless I’d be unsurprised if these ‘short term’ signings are actually part of the squad rebuild for next season. We don’t actually need another centre back or a winger at the moment, but getting them on board now with an agreement to extend the contract seems smart thinking.

Disagree that we don't need another centre back when we have Dann only just coming back from injury and McIntyre having to cover at fullback. Doesn't exactly leave us with much cover in that position.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2022 18:40

RoyalBlue
YorkshireRoyal99
RoyalBlue

Ah, Danny Drinkwater, the current scapegoat of some of our fanbase (Honorary Section Chairperson, Tim Dellor) who seem unable to enjoy their football unless they have one of their own team that they can castigate week in, week out, regardless of how they perform. Those less blinkered and neutral pundits have been giving Drinkwater credit for far more positives than negatives in their game.

Who are you talking about? Because my guess is it's just you and maybe URRRZ.

Not sure you've really understood what a scapegoat is.

I reckon I could come up with a fairly easy list of players who haven't outperformed looking for a way back. I'll start it with serial failure Royston Drenthe.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Mar 2022 20:48

Nameless I’d be unsurprised if these ‘short term’ signings are actually part of the squad rebuild for next season. We don’t actually need another centre back or a winger at the moment, but getting them on board now with an agreement to extend the contract seems smart thinking.

Indeed, I think your right. I see Get Reading reporting Tom Ince maybe signing a deal to stay as well. Clearly see him as a cheap option for next season to get the wages down and will be Meites replacement no doubt.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Mar 2022 00:58

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
YorkshireRoyal99

Who are you talking about? Because my guess is it's just you and maybe URRRZ.

Not sure you've really understood what a scapegoat is.

I reckon I could come up with a fairly easy list of players who haven't outperformed looking for a way back. I'll start it with serial failure Royston Drenthe.

Certainly wouldn’t agree he’s had more positives than negatives in his game! Can just appreciate some of the qualities he does possess - even if it isn’t displayed on a regular basis

Crux of my point is that the whole team have performed badly this season. I defended Holmes, Moore, Southwood and now Drinkwater because I just don’t agree with piling on certain players

14 games, 14 points without Drinkwater starting, 24 games, 25 points with Drinkwater starting suggests the team is pretty much as good/bad with/without him in the side

Don’t usually pay much attention to the ratings posted by JLow and co on GetReading but was surprised (well, not really) at Laurent’s higher rating than Drinkwater after Bournemouth considering the two respective performances