How bad would relegation be?

193 posts

How bad would relegation actually be (1-10)?

10 (RFC Ceases to exists)
11%
19%
19%
18%
7%
12%
2%
5%
1%
1(Fun season that actually makes the club stronger)
7%

Total votes: 85
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How bad would relegation be?

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2022 18:01

Hound Do wonder if there is any scope to have somewhere around the Kenner island area for a pub or two, as that continues to grow and develop. Could cater for green park housing during the week as well

It isn’t that far a walk (or bus) from town to there, and then not too bad a walk from there to the ground. But it’s too far for the majority to walk from town to the stadium without a stop

I did it every game I went to, but yeah. It's a lot.

I think I used to get in about 25000 steps on a matchday. Probably about 14km total including the Cambridge end.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2022 18:07

YorkshireRoyal99
muirinho
YorkshireRoyal99
I don't disagree, it's part of the reasons I will watch us away from home and take the train, however the club will still feel it's appropriate for fans to get to the game so that attendances don't suffer whilst looking to cut down on the amount of issues caused before, during and after the game due to alcohol. Not beneficial from the fans perspective, but it is from the clubs point of view.

I'm not sure that's actually the club's point of view - more like that's the view of people involved in the planning process for new stadiums - i.e. the local council, the police, local residents etc etc.

I think it would actually be extremely difficult to get PP for a stadium that was slap bang in town, or in the middle of a residential area these days. Best you can hope for is that the town expands to cover the area the stadium is in.

The club is actively subsidising the buses still (amazed they haven't dropped that as too expensive in these days of penury) which enables more people to get hammered in town and then shuttle out. As well as setting up Royal Rendezvous, so people can drink outside the stadium, and so on.

I think the football is more an issue than the lack of pubs.

Again, I don't personally disagree, but from the club's perspective, it is a benefit that more people can access the stadium through the most popular form of travel (car) as well as having less of an issue that is alcohol-related. As you say, you wouldn't necessarily get planning permission in the centre of a town for a new stadium and yes, they've put things in place where people can still drink however much they want to as well. It obviously wasn't always a benefit for the club, people enjoy drinking at games, but relocating the stadium provided a couple of benefits for them.

But yes, I think the football is to blame rather than the actual boozing.

I think you're mad. The cost of land in a town centre is huge and there aren’t the road links to accommodate 20k people travelling in by car to a game on top of everything else.

And the cost of parking facilities to accommodate that volume out of town is astronomical, there aren't the road links and you'd never get planning permission. And the environmental side would be disgraceful. Getting out would be sheer hell as well.

The public transport links to the Madejski are fine. It's easy to go for a drink in town first, then grab a bus and use the on site facilities.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 24 Mar 2022 22:08

The Irish pub in the Holiday Inn is literally only a 10 minute walk away from the stadium. Callaghan's I think it is.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Mar 2022 10:07

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
muirinho
I'm not sure that's actually the club's point of view - more like that's the view of people involved in the planning process for new stadiums - i.e. the local council, the police, local residents etc etc.

I think it would actually be extremely difficult to get PP for a stadium that was slap bang in town, or in the middle of a residential area these days. Best you can hope for is that the town expands to cover the area the stadium is in.

The club is actively subsidising the buses still (amazed they haven't dropped that as too expensive in these days of penury) which enables more people to get hammered in town and then shuttle out. As well as setting up Royal Rendezvous, so people can drink outside the stadium, and so on.

I think the football is more an issue than the lack of pubs.

Again, I don't personally disagree, but from the club's perspective, it is a benefit that more people can access the stadium through the most popular form of travel (car) as well as having less of an issue that is alcohol-related. As you say, you wouldn't necessarily get planning permission in the centre of a town for a new stadium and yes, they've put things in place where people can still drink however much they want to as well. It obviously wasn't always a benefit for the club, people enjoy drinking at games, but relocating the stadium provided a couple of benefits for them.

But yes, I think the football is to blame rather than the actual boozing.

I think you're mad. The cost of land in a town centre is huge and there aren’t the road links to accommodate 20k people travelling in by car to a game on top of everything else.

And the cost of parking facilities to accommodate that volume out of town is astronomical, there aren't the road links and you'd never get planning permission. And the environmental side would be disgraceful. Getting out would be sheer hell as well.

The public transport links to the Madejski are fine. It's easy to go for a drink in town first, then grab a bus and use the on site facilities.

You think I'm mad and yet you've just backed up what I've said from the onset about the stadium move being a positive from the club's perspective?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 25 Mar 2022 11:19

Weymouth Royal The Irish pub in the Holiday Inn is literally only a 10 minute walk away from the stadium. Callaghan's I think it is.

And you have the Victoria Cross (formerly Trooper Potts) next to Morrisons. Only 20 minutes walk and then there's the World Turned Upsidedown on the Amazingstoke road too.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 25 Mar 2022 12:08

Tilehurstsouthbank
Weymouth Royal The Irish pub in the Holiday Inn is literally only a 10 minute walk away from the stadium. Callaghan's I think it is.

And you have the Victoria Cross (formerly Trooper Potts) next to Morrisons. Only 20 minutes walk and then there's the World Turned Upsidedown on the Amazingstoke road too.

Yep. I don't get all the moaning about lack of pubs within walking distance of the ground. All three are 10-20 minutes walk to the stadium.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Mar 2022 13:01

Weymouth Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank

Yep. I don't get all the moaning about lack of pubs within walking distance of the ground. All three are 10-20 minutes walk to the stadium.

I’ll be honest I don’t know these pubs too well - but they aren’t between town and the ground are they? Not like if there was one where say the Hilton is at Kennet island or where the tip is

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Mar 2022 13:26

Hound
Weymouth Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank

I’ll be honest I don’t know these pubs too well - but they aren’t between town and the ground are they? Not like if there was one where say the Hilton is at Kennet island or where the tip is

Super bored at work so:

Holiday Inn - 22min
Victoria Cross - 25min
World Turned Upside Down - 20min
Hilton - 16min

Victoria Cross and WTUD are all town-side of the stadium, holiday inn is M4 side.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 25 Mar 2022 14:09

Hound
Weymouth Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank

Callaghan's in the Holiday Inn isn't much more of a walk than Kennet Island.

Just hop on a bus that runs along the Basingstoke Road (for the world turns upside down) and stay on it until you get to the Lidl, and the Callaghan's is across the road.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 25 Mar 2022 20:13

Which pub is the dedicated Away fans pub? If we have one...

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Mar 2022 23:14

skipper Which pub is the dedicated Away fans pub? If we have one...

There isn't really one (unlike QPR or Norwich for example) but The Three Guineas outside the station get more than it's fair share of away fans (and police).

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Mar 2022 16:54

morganb
skipper Which pub is the dedicated Away fans pub? If we have one...

There isn't really one (unlike QPR or Norwich for example) but The Three Guineas outside the station get more than it's fair share of away fans (and police).

Yes you’re right Moggy. I met up with my Derby supporting mate at the turn of the year in this pub for the Reading v Derby game and there were plenty of Derby supporters in there.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Mar 2022 17:16

Weymouth Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank

They all look simply awful. And yeh at 20 mins I'd carry on into town for something a bit less hungry horse.

193 posts