Rival Watch

17460 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 08:53

I think from the size of the club and support, players would be more "interested" in Forest than either Fulham or Bournemouth. But obviously that isn't the only determining factor in a players' decision to join a club. It is difficult to say either way really.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 May 2022 09:11

YorkshireRoyal99 I think from the size of the club and support, players would be more "interested" in Forest than either Fulham or Bournemouth. But obviously that isn't the only determining factor in a players' decision to join a club. It is difficult to say either way really.

Forest are the new boys and reports today that the PL are opening an investigation into their owner - I think they will be at the back of the queue for PL signings. Fulham and Bournemouth have much more history of late in the top flight.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 May 2022 09:27

He's being investigated for match fixing in his home country... Huddersfield were denied two stonewall penalties in a referee's final game.... :?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 May 2022 09:30

Fulham will be the bigger draw of the three for a whole host of reasons. They have spent the majority if this century in thr top flight, on paper they have the strongest squad and they are in London rather than some provincial City or God's waiting room.

Nothing against Nottingham, but to your average footballer, it will not have the pull of London or Manchester or Liverpool or Newcastle.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2022 10:07

From Despair To Where? Fulham will be the bigger draw of the three for a whole host of reasons. They have spent the majority if this century in thr top flight, on paper they have the strongest squad and they are in London rather than some provincial City or God's waiting room.

Nothing against Nottingham, but to your average footballer, it will not have the pull of London or Manchester or Liverpool or Newcastle.

Fulham are also owned by a legit multi billionaire which helps matters somewhat. I think their previous Premier League season will have taught them a valuable lesson too, they left it far too late to recruit players.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 10:13

Yeah Fulham seem to be best placed to try and pull players in with a lot of factors, but they don't compete with Forest in terms of fanbase and size of club. How much that means to someone new in English football, I don't know, but there are pro's and con's to both.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2022 10:17

Thing with Forest is they may as well go for it now, no point in being a Norwich who just sit back and accept relegation. They have waited too long to get to the Premier League to not do all they can to stay there. Forest need at least one player in every position IMO so it is going to be a costly venture but they may as well go shit or bust.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 31 May 2022 10:22

I’d prefer to Forest, nicer club, not such oxf*rds like at FulOlham. Never got to see Cloughie, but from what I’ve heard a great brand of football and they played really nice football against us in both games.
I’d hope they stay up and FulOlham get relegated with a very low points total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 May 2022 10:26

Franconian Royal I’d prefer to Forest, nicer club, not such oxf*rds like at FulOlham. Never got to see Cloughie, but from what I’ve heard a great brand of football and they played really nice football against us in both games.
I’d hope they stay up and FulOlham get relegated with a very low points total.

Have spent a game in the away end at Wimbledon with Forest fans. Inbred witless oafs.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 31 May 2022 11:04

From Despair To Where? Fulham will be the bigger draw of the three for a whole host of reasons. They have spent the majority if this century in thr top flight, on paper they have the strongest squad and they are in London rather than some provincial City or God's waiting room.

Disagree a bit on God's waiting room.

Players often have young families and I do believe that Bournemouth have attracted players in the past by offering a safe (ish) area with the seaside etc appealing to those with kids.

They managed to get Ryan Christie from Celtic and Kieffer Moore last season when Premier clubs were supposedly interested and the likes of Billing, Solanke , Lerma (£25 million!!) and Ramsdale in previous seasons whereas Fulham haven't added many over the past few seasons at great cost apart from Mitrovic.
Also they pay big bucks and I suspect the Russian hierarchy at the club have ways and means of offering many roubles as signing-on fees. :wink:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2022 11:05

Oh come on Vic, people go down to Bournemouth to die. Also see Eastbourne.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 May 2022 11:14

NathStPaul Oh come on Vic, people go down to Bournemouth to die. Also see Eastbourne.

Average age in the 3 promoted locations:

Bournemouth: 44.3
Nottingham: 43.8
Fulham: 35.0

Not unsurprising to see Fulham as the youngest, being in London and all that.

But there isn't much to choose between Bournemouth and Nottingham.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 May 2022 11:19

Hendo
NathStPaul Oh come on Vic, people go down to Bournemouth to die. Also see Eastbourne.

Given the significant quantity of students in N’ham I find that stat a little difficult to believe

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2022 11:21

Franchise FC
Hendo

Given the significant quantity of students in N’ham I find that stat a little difficult to believe

But they wouldn't technically live there would they? They aren't permanent residents of Nottingham.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 May 2022 11:22

NathStPaul
Franchise FC
Hendo

But they wouldn't technically live there would they? They aren't permanent residents of Nottingham.

Yeah, I think unless they changed their address on the electoral roll, they wouldn't be considered.

Also, surely, the same would apply to Bournemouth :wink:

EDIT - references below:

Bournemouth - https://www.plumplot.co.uk/Bournemouth-population.html
Nottingham https://www.nottinghamshireinsight.org.uk/research-areas/key-facts-about-nottinghamshire/

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 May 2022 11:24

QPR apparently bringing in Michael Beale as their new manager, seems to be very highly rated coach. Interesting to see how he gets on in his first management role.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2022 11:25

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 May 2022 11:28

Simon's Church QPR apparently bringing in Michael Beale as their new manager, seems to be very highly rated coach. Interesting to see how he gets on in his first management role.

saving me a google - where is he from? background.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 May 2022 11:31

paultheroyal
Simon's Church QPR apparently bringing in Michael Beale as their new manager, seems to be very highly rated coach. Interesting to see how he gets on in his first management role.

Worked his way up through Chelsea, then Liverpool and has been working with Gerrard at Rangers and Villa.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 May 2022 11:33

Simon's Church
paultheroyal

Worked his way up through Chelsea, then Liverpool and has been working with Gerrard at Rangers and Villa.

Thank you - sound grounding etc.

17460 posts