Kids going to Reading games in other teams colours.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Kids going to Reading games in other teams colours.

by Brogue » 23 Oct 2022 10:00

Seen a thread on Twitter where a Reading fan is lamenting kids attending Reading games in other teams colours. West Ham and Liverpool shirts he exampled, others have spotted other shirts too. He says that it’s disrespectful. The counter argument is, hey they are kids and can where what they want it doesn’t matter. What are your thoughts? Do you let your kids wear other teams colours to Reading matches?

mad79

Re: Kids going to Reading games in other teams colours.

by mad79 » 23 Oct 2022 10:09

Maybe if we had a decent kit manufacturer that made kits at the correct size they would get a Reading one. Also where is all last years kit surplus? New fanatics company and macron are shite

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2022 10:27

I wouldn’t do it if I took a kid, but I'm also an adult so don’t care what someone else's kid wants to wear.

Maybe they'll convert if they come to a few games at a young age and enjoy it. Shrug.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Oct 2022 10:28

Must admit this was on my radar yesterday as saw a selection of kids in Y24 area with West Ham shirts. Don’t bother me other than “bit odd” reaction.

Having said that, my lad has been in “other club kit” but that’s because he’s come from a match in the morning lol.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Oct 2022 10:32

If you tell a young kid they are going to a football match then they will want to wear a football shirt. If they don't have a Reading shirt for whatever reason (never been before, don't want to be bullied at school, etc.) then to them any team will do.

You'd imagine it would be a Premier League kit rather than Derby County.

As a parent do you tell them to take it off and wear a plain T shirt (possibly causing tears and tantrums) or just let it go thinking that it doesn't matter and nobody is going to start a campaign against you on Twitter?

If the child gets into going to Reading then they are likely to be get a kit anyhow.

Personally I'd not take them in another teams shirt but try to get them to wear a top that has a blue/white hoops design.

Wearing non-team shirts is very common at England games.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Oct 2022 12:28

paultheroyal Must admit this was on my radar yesterday as saw a selection of kids in Y24 area with West Ham shirts. Don’t bother me other than “bit odd” reaction.

Having said that, my lad has been in “other club kit” but that’s because he’s come from a match in the morning lol.
if there was a fair few then maybe one of the WHUFC academy teams played in the dome earlier? A work colleague of mine’s lad plays for the Wolves academy (about 8 years old) and I think they were offered cheap tickets to stay and watch the game after their academy match

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Oct 2022 13:36

mad79 Maybe if we had a decent kit manufacturer that made kits at the correct size they would get a Reading one. Also where is all last years kit surplus? New fanatics company and macron are shite

It's certainly far more difficult to get this season's kit, particularly for younger kids. I want to buy it for our grandkids but there's none available.

Personally I have no issue in kids turning up to Reading games wearing another team's kit. The important thing is that they have come to a game at the SCL and given the club a chance to win their loyalties. Far better that than not show up at all.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Oct 2022 14:07

I’d imagine the intelligentsia at WHU would welcome kids in other teams kits.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Oct 2022 14:48

I wish I had so few other worries in my life that I could get wound up by such a topic

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Oct 2022 15:26

Yeah, all very much Partridge gif

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 23 Oct 2022 16:46

I don't mind kids in prem kits.

I did see a woman in her 20's in the ED stand recently in a Chelsea shirt taking selfies like she was posting on Insta and was a little annoyed...

We were playing WBA...

As long as she paid to get in.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 24 Oct 2022 10:46

I remember a teenager turning up in a Man Utd top when we played them in the prem. Ronaldo was getting booed so must have been the first or second season up. Caused a bit of a ruckus on the east stand forecourt at half time

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Oct 2022 12:09

It's fine they're kids they can do what they want. Will often have another club they like.

Adults doing it might be disrespectful but even then, they might support another club but want to see their local club play too. I doubt it's out of malice or disrespect. I've taken down four friends over the years living in or visiting Reading but who support other clubs primarily. No biggie.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 24 Oct 2022 12:28

Kid at the Mad Stad wearing whatever they want > Kid not at the Mad Stad

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Oct 2022 12:29

Greatwesternline Kid at the Mad Stad wearing whatever they want > Kid not at the Mad Stad

Yep, this

JR

by JR » 24 Oct 2022 12:35

This doesn’t bother me, but people that wear football shirts to cricket matches really grates!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Oct 2022 12:54

Millsy It's fine they're kids they can do what they want. Will often have another club they like.

Adults doing it might be disrespectful but even then, they might support another club but want to see their local club play too. I doubt it's out of malice or disrespect. I've taken down four friends over the years living in or visiting Reading but who support other clubs primarily. No biggie.

People might support another club but what sort of thought process do you go through when planning what to wear on your day out ?
If you are going to watch Reading play why would you opt for a Chelsea top rather than a Gap hoodie or a George at Asda sweat shirt ?
Just another example of how far this country has sunk. It’s disgusting.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Oct 2022 13:30

Franchise FC
Greatwesternline Kid at the Mad Stad wearing whatever they want > Kid not at the Mad Stad

Yep, this

Yup.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Oct 2022 14:15

Nameless
Millsy It's fine they're kids they can do what they want. Will often have another club they like.

People might support another club but what sort of thought process do you go through when planning what to wear on your day out ?
If you are going to watch Reading play why would you opt for a Chelsea top rather than a Gap hoodie or a George at Asda sweat shirt ?

TBH I see where you're coming from. I remember when I muttered to my wife when I saw a d*ck wearing fake QPR hoops around Reading. I then realised it's my problem not his, and I just need to man up and accept it's a free country. But yeah you've got to be a bit dumb to wear an opposing kit and I'd never do it. I watched Oxford play a few times as the local club when I lived there, but I never wore a Reading top.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Oct 2022 14:43

Millsy
Nameless

TBH I see where you're coming from. I remember when I muttered to my wife when I saw a d*ck wearing fake QPR hoops around Reading. I then realised it's my problem not his, and I just need to man up and accept it's a free country. But yeah you've got to be a bit dumb to wear an opposing kit and I'd never do it. I watched Oxford play a few times as the local club when I lived there, but I never wore a Reading top.

I wear my Reading coat to non league games and people usually assume I’m a scout.