Relegation Run Ins

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Relegation Run Ins

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2023 10:53

YorkshireRoyal99
andrew1957 I except Huddersfield to get enough points, so it looks like pretty much a straight fight between us and QPR to me. Probably being very optimistic but if QPR lose the next two and we get a draw at Coventry and a win against Wigan, we would be safe before the Huddersfield game.

Will one more win be enough for Huddersfield? They play us and Cardiff in their last 3 games, if they lose both of them I could very much see them being the team that drops. I'm almost hoping that Cardiff can turn over both Huddersfield and Rotherham to be honest, it hauls one more team out of the fight, but sticks a couple of other teams around us without gaining any points.

Huddersfield not playing again until Sunday the 30th means they will be in a position where come a week Saturday, they will have 3 games left whilst most clubs around them will have 1.

That could be a blessing or a curse.

How tough the Cardiff game will be will depend on Cardiff's position - then have Stoke and Rotherham before they play Huddersfield - if they get say 4pts from there, then they will be all but safe, if they get 2 or less then it will be a very different match.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Apr 2023 10:59

QPR have a pretty good record at Stoke so it's far from a certainty they'll lose the next 2. I think 7 points is the number that'll definitely ensure we are safe. Tough ask. 5 might be enough, I think we have to assume QPR will beat Bristol City

Stoke have lost their last 3 at home as well so that's not good.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2023 11:35

genome I'd hope we get a big attendance for that Wigan game.

Think it's another Grassroots game, so hope for 16 or 17k - given Wigan will likely bring one man and his dog esp, if they are already down.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2023 11:37

Royal_jimmy QPR have a pretty good record at Stoke so it's far from a certainty they'll lose the next 2. I think 7 points is the number that'll definitely ensure we are safe. Tough ask. 5 might be enough, I think we have to assume QPR will beat Bristol City

Stoke have lost their last 3 at home as well so that's not good.

Stoke are 3rd from bottom in the home table - QPR are 5th from bottom away from home.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Apr 2023 11:38

Prior to suspending the market again late last night Sky Bet had relegation odds;

Reading 11/10
QPR 15/8
Huddersfield 9/4
Cardiff 25/1
Rotherham 50/1

Five Thirty Eight prediction model

Blackpool 99%
Wigan 98%
QPR - 42%
Reading 37%
Huddersfield 19%
QPR 4%
Rotherham <1%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/championship/

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Apr 2023 17:25

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
andrew1957 I except Huddersfield to get enough points, so it looks like pretty much a straight fight between us and QPR to me. Probably being very optimistic but if QPR lose the next two and we get a draw at Coventry and a win against Wigan, we would be safe before the Huddersfield game.

Will one more win be enough for Huddersfield? They play us and Cardiff in their last 3 games, if they lose both of them I could very much see them being the team that drops. I'm almost hoping that Cardiff can turn over both Huddersfield and Rotherham to be honest, it hauls one more team out of the fight, but sticks a couple of other teams around us without gaining any points.

Huddersfield not playing again until Sunday the 30th means they will be in a position where come a week Saturday, they will have 3 games left whilst most clubs around them will have 1.

How tough the Cardiff game will be will depend on Cardiff's position - then have Stoke and Rotherham before they play Huddersfield - if they get say 4pts from there, then they will be all but safe, if they get 2 or less then it will be a very different match.

In the end it will likely come down to us needing a draw or a win at Huddersfield on the last day and with Warnock seemingly hating RFC (for reasons unknown) I am sure he will motivate them to beat us. That is why I really hope QPR lose the next two, as otherwise I fear we will likely go down.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Apr 2023 20:15

I don't buy this Warnock hates Reading crap. He openly said on radio he likes us and would take the job if offered. He just wants teams he has managed to stay up....nothing else....sadly we didn't offer it to him, we went for the clown with a worse win rate than Paunovic.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Apr 2023 20:56

We need a point at Coventry because lets face it everyone expects QPR to lose at Burnley, if both these results happen beating Wigan and Huddersfield will guarantee our survival

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2023 08:28

windermereROYAL We need a point at Coventry because lets face it everyone expects QPR to lose at Burnley, if both these results happen beating Wigan and Huddersfield will guarantee our survival

We've barely won a game this year, beating both Wigan and Huddersfield back to back is very unlikely.

I also can't remember the last time we finished a season with back to back wins, let alone unbeaten in 5. We tend to finish poorly.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Apr 2023 08:38

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL We need a point at Coventry because lets face it everyone expects QPR to lose at Burnley, if both these results happen beating Wigan and Huddersfield will guarantee our survival

We've barely won a game this year, beating both Wigan and Huddersfield back to back is very unlikely.

I also can't remember the last time we finished a season with back to back wins, let alone unbeaten in 5. We tend to finish poorly.

We do tend to finish poorly but bar the first season with VP, we have always pretty much got over the line with a couple of games to go and put up the beach umbrellas - even last year, we scrambled to safety with 3 games to go and promptly lost the lot.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm essentially discounting performances from under Ince now as we look a different team - we may well still not have enough to win a couple but on Weds we looked like a team that could win games (and probably would have done if AC hadn't lost his mind for a moment).

If we do survive it is going to be a combination of us picking up points and others dropping - the minimum target has to be getting to the final day within 3 points of Huddersfield as anything can happen in one game. Dream would be a draw and a win in the next 2 with QPR picking up nothing - then both sets of fans can have a party at Huddersfield on the final day.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 21 Apr 2023 09:24

Updated run ins and rejigged positions after midweek fixtures

Brum Royal
Rotherham (46 points)
Bristol City (a)
Cardiff (h)
Middlesbrough (h)
Wigan (a)

Cardiff (45 points)
Stoke (h)
Rotherham (a)
Huddersfield (h)
Burnley (a)

Huddersfield (44 points)
Cardiff (a)
Sheff Utd (h)
Reading (h)

QPR (44 points)
Burnley (a)
Stoke (a)
Bristol City (h)
-------------------------------------------------
Reading (43 points)
Coventry (a)
Wigan (h)
Huddersfield (a)

Blackpool (38 points)
Birmingham (a)
Millwall (h)
Norwich (a)

Wigan (37 points)
Millwall (h)
Reading (a)
Rotherham (h)

Delboy

by Delboy » 21 Apr 2023 11:40

Think we need Coventry Draw, Wigan win, Huddersfield Draw = 5 points

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Apr 2023 11:47

Delboy Think we need Coventry Draw, Wigan win, Huddersfield Draw = 5 points

Yeah, think 5pts is a good number, so whatever order we pick them up in doesn't really matter, anything less will be very squeaky bum time.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 21 Apr 2023 12:12

We've got one win in us, and that's most likely Wigan. Praying the fake hoops lose their remaining games and we get that win.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 22 Apr 2023 09:26

andrew1957
Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

In the end it will likely come down to us needing a draw or a win at Huddersfield on the last day and with Warnock seemingly hating RFC (for reasons unknown) I am sure he will motivate them to beat us. That is why I really hope QPR lose the next two, as otherwise I fear we will likely go down.

If Huddersfield go into the game needing a point themselves Warnock would take it.

Cardiff away a few years ago even though they would’ve easily beaten us, he still settled for the point. They went up and we stayed up.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 22 Apr 2023 10:37

Apologies if this has been said already, but another way of looking at it is that, over the final three games, we just need to pick up one more point than QPR.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Apr 2023 10:50

I'll feel much more relaxed if we can better QPRs result today. Especially if we win, a draw and a QPR loss will do too.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Apr 2023 10:54

I reckon:

Brum v Blackpool (home win)
Burnley v QPR (home win)
Bristol City v Rotherham (draw)
Cardiff v Stoke (home win) :x
Coventry v us (draw)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Apr 2023 10:57

It does look very much as though our fate is likely to be linked more to what QPR do than anybody else.
Points will be gained between Rotherham, Cardiff and Rotherham because of having to play each other.

The biggest concern would be if we were to lose at Coventry and QPR get something at Burnley.
If QPR do lose it could come down to a draw at Huddersfield being enough for both teams and the game being played out like Italian such matches of old.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Apr 2023 12:56

Reading defeat
QPR point