Relegation Run Ins

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Relegation Run Ins

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Apr 2023 13:08

Take it a game at a time really and see where we are at after today. I'm expecting both sides (QPR and ourselves) to get beat today, but it would be massive if either team are able to get something today as well. To be completely safe, we need 2 wins. 3-4 points might just about be enough, but if QPR win a game then we either a) have to match that on the same day or b) start looking at others to catch.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 22 Apr 2023 17:43

Five of the bottom six play each other twice in the final games.
Assuming (ha!) we beat Wigan it remains interesting.

Rotherham / Cardiff
Reading / Wigan
Cardiff / Huddersfield
Huddersfield / Reading
Wigan / Rotherham

Edit: Looking at the fixtures, it'll come down to Huddersfield / Reading.
They we, we go down.
Draw and we stay up on a +1 GD.
Last edited by Horsham Royal on 22 Apr 2023 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 22 Apr 2023 17:49

Sheff utd still in with a shout at the title too, which could help as well, especially as they play Hudders

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Apr 2023 10:43

Horsham Royal Five of the bottom six play each other twice in the final games.

Rotherham / Cardiff
Reading / Wigan
Cardiff / Huddersfield
Huddersfield / Reading
Wigan / Rotherham

They we, we go down.

Still more than 50-50 chance of it going to the last day I reckon.

Even if we lost to Wigan we're still likely to be third bottom going in to last game (assuming Blackpool don't beat Millwall)

Then Hudds would need to beat either Sheffield or Cardiff to send us down pre last game

Rotherham V Cardiff is a big game, really need a home win to keep Cardiff interested V Hudds

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Apr 2023 09:29

Mid Sussex Royal
Horsham Royal Five of the bottom six play each other twice in the final games.

Rotherham / Cardiff
Reading / Wigan
Cardiff / Huddersfield
Huddersfield / Reading
Wigan / Rotherham

They we, we go down.

Still more than 50-50 chance of it going to the last day I reckon.

Even if we lost to Wigan we're still likely to be third bottom going in to last game (assuming Blackpool don't beat Millwall)

Then Hudds would need to beat either Sheffield or Cardiff to send us down pre last game

Rotherham V Cardiff is a big game, really need a home win to keep Cardiff interested V Hudds

If we beat Wigan, it will go to the last day - even a draw may see it happen but a win would need every result to go against us for it not to go to the last game.

Ideal results would be:

Reading beat Wigan
QPR lose to Stoke
Cardiff draw v Rotherham and draw/beat Huddersfield
Rotherham draw v Cardiff and lose to Boro
Huddersfield lose/draw to Cardiff and lose to Sheff Utd
Blackpool fail to beat Millwall

would mean the final day table would be (based on draws mentioned above):

Cardiff 48
QPR 47
Rotherham 47
Reading 46
Huddersfield 46
Blackpool 42
Wigan 40

Would mean 5 teams could drop on the final day.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Apr 2023 09:46

Would love for the above to be the case.

I think for us to have any chance, we must beat Wigan next week. Even if we draw and it still leaves us with a chance of staying up, I don't think we will do it. I think if we beat Wigan, I think it could give us a massive boost of confidence going into the last day where it just becomes like a cup final for us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Apr 2023 10:05

Oh we simply have to beat Wigan - even if failing to do so keeps us with a chance, I don't really want us heading into a single must win game without a win in over quarter of a season.

Bad enough that we have to do so this weekend but it is what it is.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Apr 2023 10:12

IF we beat Wigan providing Huddersfield don`t beat both Cardiff and Sheffield utd it will be the winner takes it all on the last day.
Hoping Cardiff don`t win this Thursday so they need to go for it on Sunday, and will the blades down tools in a local derby?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 24 Apr 2023 10:22

Updated run ins and rejigged positions after midweek fixtures

Brum Royal QPR (47 points)
Stoke (a)
Bristol City (h)

Rotherham (46 points)
Cardiff (h)
Middlesbrough (h)
Wigan (a)

Cardiff (46 points)
Rotherham (a)
Huddersfield (h)
Burnley (a)

Huddersfield (44 points)
Cardiff (a)
Sheff Utd (h)
Reading (h)
-------------------------------------------------
Reading (43 points)
Wigan (h)
Huddersfield (a)

Blackpool (41 points)
Millwall (h)
Norwich (a)

Wigan (40 points)
Reading (a)
Rotherham (h)
Last edited by Brum Royal on 28 Apr 2023 09:56, edited 2 times in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Apr 2023 16:33

Stranded would mean the final day table would be (based on draws mentioned above):

Cardiff 48
QPR 47
Rotherham 47
Reading 46
Huddersfield 46
Blackpool 42
Wigan 40

4 actually, Cardiff would be safe (so would Rotherham realistically thanks to their GD)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Apr 2023 16:50

What concerns me most is that our final two opponents will be going all out for a win because they have something to play for. We have to do the same in both games.
If we win both games, then we've done all we can. It still might not be enough if other results don't go our way.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Apr 2023 16:54

This is what's going to happen.

Rotherham V Cardiff - draw
Blackpool lose to Millwall
We beat Wigan 2-0
Stoke beat QPR
Cardiff V Hudds draw
Hudds V Sheff U draw

Last day:

Bristol score two early goals at QPR
Reading and Hudds play out a 0-0 so QPR go down

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 24 Apr 2023 22:43

The hope is back if Wigan are beaten, but 4 points from two is a huge ask. Likely not to be enough unless one of the teams has an absolute stinker.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Apr 2023 06:51

Silver Fox
Stranded would mean the final day table would be (based on draws mentioned above):

Cardiff 48
QPR 47
Rotherham 47
Reading 46
Huddersfield 46
Blackpool 42
Wigan 40

4 actually, Cardiff would be safe (so would Rotherham realistically thanks to their GD)

Yep, you are right forgot to factor in that we are playing Huddersfield, so Cardiff would be safe there - with the games left between clubs at the bottom, 6 is the maximum who could be involved on the last day - that would involve Wigan beating us and Huddersfield losing their next 2.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Apr 2023 07:16

Mid Sussex Royal This is what's going to happen.

Rotherham V Cardiff - draw
Blackpool lose to Millwall
We beat Wigan 2-0
Stoke beat QPR
Cardiff V Hudds draw
Hudds V Sheff U draw

Last day:

Bristol score two early goals at QPR
Reading and Hudds play out a 0-0 so QPR go down

Would be the perfect set of results but I don't see on the beach Bristol City winning at QPR. That'll be a home win.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2023 17:23

In a weird way, having come.to terms with relegation and started looking forward towards League One with some positivity, managing to survive is going to be a real weird feeling, especially combined with what I can only see as just another shit season afterwards.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Apr 2023 17:24

Snowflake Royal In a weird way, having come.to terms with relegation and started looking forward towards League One with some positivity, managing to survive is going to be a real weird feeling, especially combined with what I can only see as just another shit season afterwards.

To be fair, if we do stay up, next season will be the least restricted we've been in a very long time and with almost all the high earners officially off the books, especially Moore.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2023 17:30

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal In a weird way, having come.to terms with relegation and started looking forward towards League One with some positivity, managing to survive is going to be a real weird feeling, especially combined with what I can only see as just another shit season afterwards.

To be fair, if we do stay up, next season will be the least restricted we've been in a very long time and with almost all the high earners officially off the books, especially Moore.

This is completely true and it's the real start of the rebuild.

I just can't see how we can afford to bring in anywhere near enough Championship quality players without immediately breaching FFP again to be competitive given what will be left of our squad. We basically need to sign an entire matchday squad of Championship players, without really increasing our spending on this season.

Yes just freeing up Liam Moore's wages means we can sign about four/five Jeff Hendricks, but Jeff Hendrick isn't good enough.

Defence is pretty much the only place we'll keep any continuity and that's Holmes, McIntyre, Sarr and Yiadom.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Apr 2023 17:38

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2

I just can't see how we can afford to bring in anywhere near enough Championship quality players without immediately breaching FFP again to be competitive given what will be left of our squad. We basically need to sign an entire matchday squad of Championship players, without really increasing our spending on this season.

Yes just freeing up Liam Moore's wages means we can sign about four/five Jeff Hendricks, but Jeff Hendrick isn't good enough.

Defence is pretty much the only place we'll keep any continuity and that's Holmes, McIntyre, Sarr and Yiadom.

I suppose the big thing for me, weren't there several clubs already treading water with regards to FFP, are there likely to be more deductions next season? As for the defence being the same, that's almost a poisoned chalice since they've collectively been responsible for two seasons of absolutely shambolic defensive efforts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2023 17:43

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 To be fair, if we do stay up, next season will be the least restricted we've been in a very long time and with almost all the high earners officially off the books, especially Moore.

I suppose the big thing for me, weren't there several clubs already treading water with regards to FFP, are there likely to be more deductions next season? As for the defence being the same, that's almost a poisoned chalice since they've collectively been responsible for two seasons of absolutely shambolic defensive efforts.

Exactly on the defence. Three of them are about Championship quality, but not as a unit.

We really can't rely on points deductions saving us. Given the teams coming up, tbh, I think we'd be one of the most likely candidates to be cut adrift and finish bottom.