Division one things to forward to……..

483 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Division one things to forward to……..

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Apr 2023 09:59

Ascotexgunner
Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
I think it was a big criticism of Ince that we played the way that we did. But yes, I have to agree, I think this is just the way the players are most suited to. Obviously a few tweaks since Hunt's been in, but a lot of principles are similar. We don't have that much of the ball and still don't tend to play on the front foot too much, I think that's just the way the players are best playing in. Of course, the players being most suited to a system doesn't always mean they are good enough overall either.

Joao and Meite aside, the rest of our players operate at mid-table or lower in the Championship and I could only really see clubs being interested in Holmes and Ince out of the lot. Not sure who else would be worthwhile for other clubs? McIntyre maybe as he could still improve and be part of a squad towards the bottom end of the table. Carroll but I can't see anyone paying a fee for him due to his age.

To be honest I agree with this. Although a better manager may have ground out another win or 2, the truth is most of the squad were here last season that struggled. Most of our team is league one quality, even the academy boys like McIntyre. Nesta Guinness-Walker is young with potential but looks light weight. Azeez is the same. Lumley is meh, he's a solid keeper but nothing special. Yiadom is league one standard, has regressed since he's got older, Hendrick has been in decline for years, Fornah hadn't played at this level before. Camara is just breaking into the team and looks lovely but raw, Long is passed it and can't score but does add something to the side. Carroll likewise. Sarr is a liability and looks out of his depth too. A good reason Huddersfield got rid of him.

João and Meite are championship players but are off the boil, Ince and Holmes are too but that's about it.

If we stay up I hope we can keep João and Meite (on slightly lower wages) and have a full reset. Sell Puscas, offload Ejaria, release Moore and accept a £3m bid for Holmes if one comes in.

I thought Puscas was out of contract at the end of the season. I honestly would still like to think if we can't sell him, to try him at League 1 level. Under a proper manager. I still struggle to believe he is as bad as we've seen, there have been glimpses, and how much will a new striker cost? With the front men either retiring or leaving we would have to invest heavily otherwise. I'd like to think there are more Wigan and Cardiff performances if we feed him the ball properly.

Puscas is out of contract next summer, not this. Although it's looking more likely that he will move to Genoa as they are getting closer to promotion.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if I had to go back and make a change I'd have kept Puscas and tried to loan out Ejaria. We've been playing with 2 up top for the majority of the season and we know Puscas is much better playing alongside someone and can score goals in doing so. Working off Carroll, playing off Joao, hassling with Long etc. I think he could have been our best forward this season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2023 10:44

Orion1871
South Coast Royal
URZZZZ
That’s part of the point though isn’t it? We won because we had the belief that we could win. That’s what positive form and momentum does to you. We were tough to break down and you were confident enough we could win once we got the first goal. It’s true that we struggled to get back into games after conceding the first goal but at least we were able to grind out wins (winning tough games 1-0, something we couldn’t do for years)

That belief seemed to have evaporated post October. Too many of us believed Ince’s propaganda that the refs/EFL etc etc were against us deflecting the attention away from his sub standard tactics and approach to games until it became too late

For the record, I don’t think you’ll find m(any) have solely blamed Ince for the current predicament. We’ve been poorly run/managed for years. It seems to be a forever cycle of managers starting well and having that initial bounce before ultimately failing.

Each to their own, and obviously there’s always some form of confirmation bias when it comes to things like this but I’ve seen big improvements from the likes of Joao, Hendrick, Yiadom and Sarr since Hunt has come in. Options on the ball and at least some form of pattern on ball retention. Still a long way off mind but there are signs. The hard thing is maintaining those signs over the duration (something none of our managers have been able to do recently)

I think sometimes we see what we want to see-I haven't seen this ball retention that you speak about (e.g. 25% possession at home v Burnley, not much more v Luton or Coventry).
Clearly it hasn't been just Ince or just the players that haven't been up to scratch but I'm with Hound in believing that most of our current squad just aren't that good.

You get what you pay for. Or in our case, don't pay for.

Aluko, Baldock and Puscas (amongst plenty of others) would suggest that isn’t true!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2023 10:46

Puscas didn’t want to be here and we didn’t want him. He’s useful to an extent but wouldn’t have changed a lot. He’s only scored 4 in 10(13) for Genoa so I’d be concerned that unless they are obliged to buy him, they probably won’t

Dunno what we do if he comes back to us. He won’t want to play 3rd tier. If we loan him again we can’t get a transfer fee. Suspect we’d do everything to sell him for 1-2m to another Serie B

Ejaria was in favour at the start of the year and was probably expected to play a significant role. Obvs he hasn’t done that

In hindsight I’d have done everything possible to sell Joao, Ejaria, Puscas, Meite, Moore on anyone else we have contracted because we got docked 6 points for making no sales and they’ve all been shite all season (bar the odd decent Joao game)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2023 10:54

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal
URZZZZ
That’s part of the point though isn’t it? We won because we had the belief that we could win. That’s what positive form and momentum does to you. We were tough to break down and you were confident enough we could win once we got the first goal. It’s true that we struggled to get back into games after conceding the first goal but at least we were able to grind out wins (winning tough games 1-0, something we couldn’t do for years)

That belief seemed to have evaporated post October. Too many of us believed Ince’s propaganda that the refs/EFL etc etc were against us deflecting the attention away from his sub standard tactics and approach to games until it became too late

For the record, I don’t think you’ll find m(any) have solely blamed Ince for the current predicament. We’ve been poorly run/managed for years. It seems to be a forever cycle of managers starting well and having that initial bounce before ultimately failing.

Each to their own, and obviously there’s always some form of confirmation bias when it comes to things like this but I’ve seen big improvements from the likes of Joao, Hendrick, Yiadom and Sarr since Hunt has come in. Options on the ball and at least some form of pattern on ball retention. Still a long way off mind but there are signs. The hard thing is maintaining those signs over the duration (something none of our managers have been able to do recently)

I think sometimes we see what we want to see-I haven't seen this ball retention that you speak about (e.g. 25% possession at home v Burnley, not much more v Luton or Coventry).
Clearly it hasn't been just Ince or just the players that haven't been up to scratch but I'm with Hound in believing that most of our current squad just aren't that good.

I think it was a big criticism of Ince that we played the way that we did. But yes, I have to agree, I think this is just the way the players are most suited to. Obviously a few tweaks since Hunt's been in, but a lot of principles are similar. We don't have that much of the ball and still don't tend to play on the front foot too much, I think that's just the way the players are best playing in. Of course, the players being most suited to a system doesn't always mean they are good enough overall either.

Joao and Meite aside, the rest of our players operate at mid-table or lower in the Championship and I could only really see clubs being interested in Holmes and Ince out of the lot. Not sure who else would be worthwhile for other clubs? McIntyre maybe as he could still improve and be part of a squad towards the bottom end of the table. Carroll but I can't see anyone paying a fee for him due to his age.

It’s not so much how much of the ball you have but more so, what you do with the ball

The odd performance aside towards the end (coincidentally the ones with 4 at the back), the concept of passing and moving was alien. That 5-3-2 formation became dire and yet he kept reverting back to it - even after obvious improvements changing to a 4-3-3

We play with a little bit more width under Hunt and at least try and play a little bit more on the front foot. Sure, quality isn’t always there but IMO we were one moment of stupidity from Carroll from getting 4 points from 9 against the runaway leaders (who hadn’t lost for 20 games straight), the team in 3rd (who have only lost once since mid January, to Burnley) and the team in 5th (who have lost just once in 15). When looking at the momentum these teams had, you probably couldn’t have chosen a tougher start for Hunt

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2023 11:03

Definitely a tough start for Hunt and he’s done ok I think

Difficult to say with Luton - they were far superior first half but were definitely on the back foot when Carroll got sent off. They outplayed us for 75 of the 90m tbh

Burnley played a team so weakened they may get a points deduction (and subsequently drew or lost to 2 crap teams) and Cov should have won by plenty. So it’s difficult to judge really

Not a criticism of Hunt but it’s tough to get a feeling whether it’s improved or not

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 25 Apr 2023 11:15

Hound Definitely a tough start for Hunt and he’s done ok I think

Difficult to say with Luton - they were far superior first half but were definitely on the back foot when Carroll got sent off. They outplayed us for 75 of the 90m tbh

Burnley played a team so weakened they may get a points deduction (and subsequently drew or lost to 2 crap teams) and Cov should have won by plenty. So it’s difficult to judge really

Not a criticism of Hunt but it’s tough to get a feeling whether it’s improved or not

Once again agree with Hound that it is impossible to judge Hunt-I just don't see much difference and we still don't have more than a very rare shot on target.
If you play something like a 7-3 set up as we did v Burnley and Coventry it is likely that we won't concede too many , although having said that, Coventry on another day with their star striker on his usual form it might have been near double figures against.

Saturday will be interesting and stressful as both teams know that they have to go for the win-I would settle for the Fozzy game result even if there was extra time and major stress with that one that we can now do without.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Apr 2023 11:33

The Chronic refer to pundit's bold prediction. It turns out that they're referring to Tim Dellor who has said he thinks we will struggle to get out of League 1! In no way, shape or form is that a 'bold prediction', it's pretty much nailed on. A 'bold prediction' would be saying that we will bounce back at the first attempt.

There is, IMO, absolutely nothing at all to look forward to in League 1. The majority of my time spent supporting the club was during the time we were stuck in the lower divisions, so I'm speaking from experience.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2023 11:57

RoyalBlue The Chronic refer to pundit's bold prediction. It turns out that they're referring to Tim Dellor who has said he thinks we will struggle to get out of League 1! In no way, shape or form is that a 'bold prediction', it's pretty much nailed ) on. A 'bold prediction' would be saying that we will bounce back at the first attempt.

There is, IMO, absolutely nothing at all to look forward to in League 1. The majority of my time spent supporting the club was during the time we were stuck in the lower divisions, so I'm speaking from experience.

So why did you keep going all that time if it was so bad? :)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 25 Apr 2023 12:08

Hound
RoyalBlue The Chronic refer to pundit's bold prediction. It turns out that they're referring to Tim Dellor who has said he thinks we will struggle to get out of League 1! In no way, shape or form is that a 'bold prediction', it's pretty much nailed ) on. A 'bold prediction' would be saying that we will bounce back at the first attempt.

We do though, don't we for so many reasons.

I may be wrong but I thought I heard a few years ago that Rochdale have never been promoted so imagine watching them for years on end.
Now they are down to the Conference so fans might get their wish to see a promotion one day

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Apr 2023 12:12

Football was a much different animal in the early 90's (when I first started going) when we were shit and lower down the food chain but I can't pretend it wasn't much more enjoyable, it was.

Difference between now and then is that it was a much more level playing field back then, you'd go into a season in Division or 2 as they were then with about 15 teams capable of winning the league. These days you can be pretty much assured of the sides who will end up top 6 which does take that "anything could happen" element away. Not sure how much fun League 1 would be in all honesty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2023 12:39

NathStPaul Football was a much different animal in the early 90's (when I first started going) when we were shit and lower down the food chain but I can't pretend it wasn't much more enjoyable, it was.

Difference between now and then is that it was a much more level playing field back then, you'd go into a season in Division or 2 as they were then with about 15 teams capable of winning the league. These days you can be pretty much assured of the sides who will end up top 6 which does take that "anything could happen" element away. Not sure how much fun League 1 would be in all honesty.

Tbf we have Luton, Millwall, Blackburn, Cov, PNE all in and around the play offs. Wouldn’t have really expected that this season

I’m as critical of the EFL and the lack of competition as anyone but suspect a lot of the ‘less fun’ element is just because you’re older. My kids still love gojng to watch even though we’ve been utter dog shit for virtually the entire time they’ve been going

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Apr 2023 12:52

South Coast Royal
Hound

We do though, don't we for so many reasons.

I may be wrong but I thought I heard a few years ago that Rochdale have never been promoted so imagine watching them for years on end.
Now they are down to the Conference so fans might get their wish to see a promotion one day

Rochdale were famously part of the furniture in the bottom tier remaining there for 35 years between a relegation in 1974/5 and promotion in 2009/10. They were promoted again 4 years later following finishing as high as 8th in 2014/15*.

They spent 5 seasons in L1 and their relegation sent them into the spiral they now find themselves in.

*to get an idea of how L1 can be a platform to better things, or a slide to worse - that season the following clubs were in L1

National League - Chesterfield (finished 6th), Oldham, Notts County, Scunthorpe (heading to NLN now), Yeovil (heading to NLS)

At the other end - Sheffield Utd are a win away from a PL return and Coventry stand a good chance of making the PO's. Preston are just outside the POs and Bristol City are mid-table.

Crawley, Orient, Crewe, Colchester, Walsall, Doncaster, Gillingham, Bradford and Swindon are all battling in L2.

So in 8 seasons, 18 of the 24 teams in that division are competing in another division - 14 of them lower.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 25 Apr 2023 13:12

Hoilett isn't being offered a new contract which im surprised at as although he does have his off days I've always thought he puts in a shift

Webster750

Can imagine there being interest in Lumley from lower end Championship sides so would hope we're able to sign Southwood/Boyce-Clarke on longer term deals - admittedly doubtful given recent rumours RE Southwood and the moves Boyce-Clarke had been linked with in past.

Also hoping we can retain Guinness-Walker, Tetek and Mbengue. Haven't kept up with our U21's and subsequent loan moves as much but recall Dorsett receiving praise so again hoping we can do something there. Clarke looked decent last season, too, albeit brief appearances.

Besides that we're probably looking at a good 5+ League One capable signings. Ouch.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 25 Apr 2023 13:56

RFCMod Hoilett isn't being offered a new contract which im surprised at as although he does have his off days I've always thought he puts in a shift

Webster750

Can imagine there being interest in Lumley from lower end Championship sides so would hope we're able to sign Southwood/Boyce-Clarke on longer term deals - admittedly doubtful given recent rumours RE Southwood and the moves Boyce-Clarke had been linked with in past.

Also hoping we can retain Guinness-Walker, Tetek and Mbengue. Haven't kept up with our U21's and subsequent loan moves as much but recall Dorsett receiving praise so again hoping we can do something there. Clarke looked decent last season, too, albeit brief appearances.

Besides that we're probably looking at a good 5+ League One capable signings. Ouch.

I'm sure we'd be keeping him if he could stay fit.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Apr 2023 13:59

URZZZZ
Orion1871
South Coast Royal

You get what you pay for. Or in our case, don't pay for.

Aluko, Baldock and Puscas (amongst plenty of others) would suggest that isn’t true!

£7.5m + £3m by £6m rising potentially to £9m for three bang average players. The only one who excited me out of those was Puscas who sadly hasn't worked out here. The other 2 were criminal wastes of money and are a big reason we're in this mess

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2023 14:54

PATRIQT
RFCMod Hoilett isn't being offered a new contract which im surprised at as although he does have his off days I've always thought he puts in a shift

Webster750

Is that official?

He could do a job in D1

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2023 17:48

Royal_jimmy
Webster750

Not sure I'd want Southwood back. Think I'd rather have Bouzanis as our number 1 keeper in league one. I'd like to see us start blooding CBC in and giving him cup appearances and having him on the bench, or he'll eventually leave us. I think CBC will play at a higher level than Southwood will do.

I'd be fine with letting Bouzanis, Andresson and CBC fight it out for No 1 in League One. Not ideal but if you're settling for a return within 3 seasons plan it's probably an area you can deprioritise and see how you go compared to others.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 25 Apr 2023 23:29

Hound
PATRIQT

Is that official?

He could do a job in D1

It could have been a case of salary demands. We might feel we could do better at that price if we stay up, and just can't afford him if we don't.

Bt yes, fitness might also be an issue. Someone at the club might have realised buying so many players with bad injury records is not a good idea.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Apr 2023 00:01

YorkshireRoyal99
Ascotexgunner
Royal_jimmy
To be honest I agree with this. Although a better manager may have ground out another win or 2, the truth is most of the squad were here last season that struggled. Most of our team is league one quality, even the academy boys like McIntyre. Nesta Guinness-Walker is young with potential but looks light weight. Azeez is the same. Lumley is meh, he's a solid keeper but nothing special. Yiadom is league one standard, has regressed since he's got older, Hendrick has been in decline for years, Fornah hadn't played at this level before. Camara is just breaking into the team and looks lovely but raw, Long is passed it and can't score but does add something to the side. Carroll likewise. Sarr is a liability and looks out of his depth too. A good reason Huddersfield got rid of him.

João and Meite are championship players but are off the boil, Ince and Holmes are too but that's about it.

If we stay up I hope we can keep João and Meite (on slightly lower wages) and have a full reset. Sell Puscas, offload Ejaria, release Moore and accept a £3m bid for Holmes if one comes in.

I thought Puscas was out of contract at the end of the season. I honestly would still like to think if we can't sell him, to try him at League 1 level. Under a proper manager. I still struggle to believe he is as bad as we've seen, there have been glimpses, and how much will a new striker cost? With the front men either retiring or leaving we would have to invest heavily otherwise. I'd like to think there are more Wigan and Cardiff performances if we feed him the ball properly.

Puscas is out of contract next summer, not this. Although it's looking more likely that he will move to Genoa as they are getting closer to promotion.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if I had to go back and make a change I'd have kept Puscas and tried to loan out Ejaria. We've been playing with 2 up top for the majority of the season and we know Puscas is much better playing alongside someone and can score goals in doing so. Working off Carroll, playing off Joao, hassling with Long etc. I think he could have been our best forward this season.

I disagree. I think our best performance was when we played on the front foot and pressed with intensity.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 26 Apr 2023 00:24

Ipswich look to be coming back up after a few painful seasons in League One and are playing some lovely stuff. It’s not all doom and gloom if you get relegated.

483 posts