Ruben Selles it is

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ruben Selles it is

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2023 19:13

Hound Scraping around for info - seems to have been an assistant a lot - looks like 400+ games as an assistant manager

Plays 4-2-3-1

That’s about as much as I can find of any interest

4-2-3-1.

Jesus Carroll will thrive in that formation... Expect lots of 0-0 draws at home this season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2023 19:16

Clyde1998 I'd rather we got Ian in, tbh.

I'd trust Ian more as manager than anyone we've appointed since Bowen

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jun 2023 19:20

Does anyone know how long he spent at Southampton as an assistant? Maybe they have some decent youngsters we can get on loan for next season.

It is what it is and he’s not ever been near my shortlist or long list but fair play to him for accepting such a sh*t job. My expectations are very low for next season so let’s see what happens.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Jun 2023 19:31

blythspartan Does anyone know how long he spent at Southampton as an assistant? Maybe they have some decent youngsters we can get on loan for next season.

It is what it is and he’s not ever been near my shortlist or long list but fair play to him for accepting such a sh*t job. My expectations are very low for next season so let’s see what happens.

5 years I think

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2023 19:32

blythspartan Does anyone know how long he spent at Southampton as an assistant? Maybe they have some decent youngsters we can get on loan for next season.

Think Southampton's good youngsters will be in their first team now they're in the championship

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jun 2023 19:40

Brogue

5 years I think

Cheers, that’s one positive for me.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Jun 2023 19:43

As others have said, Saints will be using their good youngsters.
We will probably get the released Theo Walcott.....................20 years too late.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2023 20:54

It's a coded message. Dai is going to Selles (sell us) for Ruben (sounds like rubles) (money)

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 21 Jun 2023 20:58

Clyde1998 I'd rather we got Ian in, tbh.

If Selles had turned us down I have it on good authority that Ian would have been approached.
Barrel properly scraped.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2023 21:01

Royal_jimmy
Hound Scraping around for info - seems to have been an assistant a lot - looks like 400+ games as an assistant manager

Plays 4-2-3-1

That’s about as much as I can find of any interest

4-2-3-1.

Jesus Carroll will thrive in that formation... Expect lots of 0-0 draws at home this season.

Is he Andy's younger brother?

Fezza

by Fezza » 21 Jun 2023 21:03

Really well regarded as a coach, I'd almost rather this than Wilder if we're looking to build something. However recruitment is absolutely key with regards to the playing squad. Pace please!

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 21 Jun 2023 21:19

I wanted someone with experience and the Chris Wilder link was the stuff of dreams, however as more and more bad news came out of the club getting a decent manager with good experience has looked unlikely.

Fair play to Selles for picking us in our current state, ultimately his success will come down to how well we recruit to his preferred playing style.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2023 21:26

Fezza Really well regarded as a coach, I'd almost rather this than Wilder if we're looking to build something. However recruitment is absolutely key with regards to the playing squad. Pace please!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Jun 2023 21:32

I doubt Selles is any worse than any other of the serious contenders. The only thing that's making people say he's bad is his stint at Southampton, stuck in temporary charge of a side that always looked to be going down, where the players probably didn't care.

To me he's an unknown quantity, but one with a lot of experience as an assistant, and one happy to take a very large pay cut to try to prove himself.

I can't say it would be the most thrilling appointment ever, but I've gone beyond hoping for a thrilling appointment, and just want someone in who can do a job.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Jun 2023 21:37

tmesis I doubt Selles is any worse than any other of the serious contenders. The only thing that's making people say he's bad is his stint at Southampton, stuck in temporary charge of a side that always looked to be going down, where the players probably didn't care.

To me he's an unknown quantity, but one with a lot of experience as an assistant, and one happy to take a very large pay cut to try to prove himself.

I can't say it would be the most thrilling appointment ever, but I've gone beyond hoping for a thrilling appointment, and just want someone in who can do a job.

For me it's more the fact that he's only ever managed 18 games in his life.

History suggests that assistant experience is a poor indicator of whether they were any good at management.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jun 2023 21:51

Brogue

5 years I think

June 2022

2015-2018 Assistant ar Qarabag
2018-2020 Assistant at Aarhus
2020-2021 Valencua U18s Manager
2021-2022 Assistant at Copenhagen

To be fair to him, it appears he's been poached every time rather than sacked along with the manager.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 21 Jun 2023 21:56, edited 2 times in total.

Blue Label

by Blue Label » 21 Jun 2023 21:54

Sutekh Rather have Peter Sellers.

Rather have Monica Seles, but that’s a whole different story.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2023 22:09

tmesis I doubt Selles is any worse than any other of the serious contenders. The only thing that's making people say he's bad is his stint at Southampton, stuck in temporary charge of a side that always looked to be going down, where the players probably didn't care.

You're saying he's no worse than Wilder? Really :lol:

How low have our expectations gone :oops:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2023 22:17

Truth is this is a massive gamble. I'll give a balanced view:

Positives:
1) Young and worked with kids
2) Worked in numerous countries
3) Different

Negatives:
1) Bad management record
2) Doesn't know league one
3) Has never done a club rebuild
4) Likely to be unfavoured by a new owner

I think the 4 negatives massively outweigh the positives. He might be good with time but in truth this is a massive gamble at a time we shouldn't be taking any risks.

I want Dai gone so much. He's awful and making the club more sick.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Jun 2023 23:18

Royal_jimmy

You're saying he's no worse than Wilder? Really :lol:

Wilder is no longer a serious contender if he doesn't want the job.

We can't know for sure, but it looks like there was maybe thought that we would go into this season with a strong budget. That looks to no longer be the case, and as a result the better candidates will no longer be interested.

That really leaves us with the desperate and the untried. There is not going to be a string of good candidates after this job.