Reading City FC

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Reading City FC

by 72 bus » 23 Jun 2023 21:22

All's not lost just yet
Reading FC Season ticket holders can buy a Season ticket for Readings second biggest club for a 50% discount.
A very nice gesture indeed and they would probably be up for a ground share if it all goes tits up.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Reading City FC

by Green » 25 Jun 2023 16:50

Great trolling from a club who could well become our rivals in a few seasons.

Has anyone told them Reading isn't a city yet?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Jun 2023 22:04

The Reading Town thing failed….like our Council, they’ve got to try and ‘big Reading up’

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Jun 2023 22:18

Green Great trolling from a club who could well become our rivals in a few seasons.

It isn't but I expect it will be within 100-200 years

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 26 Jun 2023 07:41

Royal_jimmy
Green Great trolling from a club who could well become our rivals in a few seasons.

It says "city centre" on the front of some of the buses, that's good enough for me.

katweslowski

by katweslowski » 26 Jun 2023 09:16

Green Has anyone told them Reading isn't a city yet?

There's always one. I am just disappointed it was you Green

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Jun 2023 10:05

72 bus
Royal_jimmy

It says "city centre" on the front of some of the buses, that's good enough for me.

Thought it said "Central Reading" now

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 10:13

American's call Reading a city, and I'm not talking about the Pennsylvania one :)

On Strings

by On Strings » 26 Jun 2023 10:20

Rather jump on the Thames Valley FC train if sadly that ever happens.

katweslowski

by katweslowski » 26 Jun 2023 10:51

A city in all but name

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Jun 2023 10:55

katweslowski A city in all but name

And cathedral

katweslowski

by katweslowski » 26 Jun 2023 11:11

Green

And cathedral

Cathedrals aren't necessary or required

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Jun 2023 11:29

katweslowski
Green

And cathedral

Cathedrals aren't necessary or required

No but it helps, more so than renaming a football club or a bus destination.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jun 2023 11:30

I have no connection to Reading itself to be honest, only supported Reading because my Dad started taking me when we last got promoted to the Championship, always lived in Fleet so always been in the fairly close category, as a result, Reading City don't remotely interest me, even in my opinion, the unlikely event Reading FC ceased to exist. I'd probably just lose interest in football.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 Jun 2023 11:39

tidus_mi2 I have no connection to Reading itself to be honest, only supported Reading because my Dad started taking me when we last got promoted to the Championship, always lived in Fleet so always been in the fairly close category, as a result, Reading City don't remotely interest me, even in my opinion, the unlikely event Reading FC ceased to exist. I'd probably just lose interest in football.

I think if we went bust, but were able to reform down in the Southern League, but playing at the Madejski, I would definitely still go.

If the Madejski got knocked down and some reformed club went to Scours Lane, making any return to the league a very distant goal, it would be much harder to retain an interest.

katweslowski

by katweslowski » 26 Jun 2023 12:00

tidus_mi2 unlikely event Reading FC ceased to exist. I'd probably just lose interest in football.

Same as me, although I'd still watch Premier League, but my interest in football as deteriorated hugely over the past 5 years. Mostly as I think the games just a joke now, with VAR ruining it, ticket pricing, managers thinking they have the right to berate a ref and officials based on a single incident and then bleat on about it for days after. Same for players, and their continual disrespect which basically is accepted.

I started watching more rugby last year and really enjoyed it. Went to see a Harlequins game at the Tottenham ground.

I've already decided not to renew my Reading ST after nearly 15 seasons. Sick of feeling like a mug for turning up to see dross, and this summer has just killed me off - no communication at all, and it's just sh*tting all over fans like myself who have invested a lot into this club and deserve better.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 26 Jun 2023 15:20

In the unlikely event that Reading ceased to exist, I'd not even consider Reading City. Most likely just go to local non-league, which for me is Lichfield City.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Jun 2023 15:59

tmesis
tidus_mi2 I have no connection to Reading itself to be honest, only supported Reading because my Dad started taking me when we last got promoted to the Championship, always lived in Fleet so always been in the fairly close category, as a result, Reading City don't remotely interest me, even in my opinion, the unlikely event Reading FC ceased to exist. I'd probably just lose interest in football.

I think if we went bust, but were able to reform down in the Southern League, but playing at the Madejski, I would definitely still go.

If the Madejski got knocked down and some reformed club went to Scours Lane, making any return to the league a very distant goal, it would be much harder to retain an interest.

I doubt any club would play at the Madejski in the Southern League. The upkeep on the stadium would be far too expensive for a club at that level surely. We'd probably have to get at least 2,000 on average, with tickets the same price as they've been in the Championship, to maintain the ground for a season - and that's without considering squad costs, etc.

There is no obvious alternative for who would use the stadium however, unless the council convinces another rugby team to come play in Reading.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Jun 2023 16:13

Have no interest whatsoever in Reading City or Scours Lane because of certainly personalities associated with Reading City.

Club for Chelsea fans who can’t afford or aren’t allowed to go to the Bridge.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 Jun 2023 16:23

Clyde1998
tmesis

I doubt any club would play at the Madejski in the Southern League. The upkeep on the stadium would be far too expensive for a club at that level surely. We'd probably have to get at least 2,000 on average, with tickets the same price as they've been in the Championship, to maintain the ground for a season - and that's without considering squad costs, etc.

There is no obvious alternative for who would use the stadium however, unless the council convinces another rugby team to come play in Reading.

If Macclesfield (and other reformed clubs such as Hereford, etc) can reform at a much lower level and get better crowds, I'm sure Reading would attract crowds far in excess of 2000. I think a lot of fans would quite enjoying going along, being the 'big boys' and stuffing teams most weeks. Even Aldershot, when they dropped to the 9th tier of the game, barely saw any dip in crowds.

There's something about a club reforming that seems to galvanise support, but retaining use of the stadium is key.