Readings most underrated and overrated players are....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Readings most underrated and overrated players are....

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jul 2023 19:11

^ pretty much that

Thought we’d found our new Ronaldo

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 04 Jul 2023 19:23

RoyalBlue
Gandalf Presley Would say near enough every record signing at the time flattered to deceive - Hurlock, Moran, Nogan (post 94/95), Caskey, Butler (slightly unfair but mediocre at best post 00/01), Lita, Seol, Halford, Fae, Pog, Aluko, Puscas...

Wow! I reckon that, perhaps because money was more often than not extremely hard to come by for our club, many of our fan base had unduly high expectations of those who cost a reasonably amount. I'm staggered by some of the names that feature on your list. Hurlock, Nogan, Caskey, Butler, Lita and Seol for starters.

Interestingly I hadn't realised that Hurlock apparently fell out with Branfoot because he wouldn't relocate his home from Brentford to to Reading! Staggering that Branfoot wasn't happy with what really is a very short commute against the traffic and probably outside of the main rush hour!

Hurlock was not overrated; he played for years in Div One (the Prem for the uneducated) and terrified most of the opposition there with Millwall before and doing the same thing for Rangers…

We should never have let him go …

He joined Millwall and up they went to Div One and stayed there for a couple of years too …

I saw Hurlock away at Brighton -for us in the first year in Div Two (Championship now) - we drew 1-1 but battered them - Hurlock was by far the best, the hardest and the most dominant footballer I ‘d seen in a Reading shirt for some years (at the time)…

Can you imagine a team with both Hurlock and Friday and Bremner? That would have been something …

That reminds me - Kevin Bremner - underrated

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jul 2023 19:59

Probably forgotten or not seen by most on here tbf

Always remember his toothless smile when he scored, racing up to us in the away end.

We had some real characters back then.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2023 20:12

The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal
The Green Programme Overrated - George Puskas
Underrated - Trevor Senior

Who rated Puscas?

He was highly rated when we signed him.

As you know he was rated as one of the best strikers at the Euro Under 21s - that summer and many Clubs were circling….

Our owners broke our transfer record…

And when he scored the two against Cardiff; I thought we had got the real deal…..

And then he missed the sitter of a 1 on 1 later in that same game and the deflation started and continued from there….

So he was highly related before he played, apparently - I think that's stretching it a lot, and for a while because of one good match ages ago... but otherwise, not. Certainly not now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jul 2023 20:15

Underrated? Jimmy Quinn

Took some dogs abuse in his latter years at the club….christ how I wish we had somebody like him to ‘overrate’ these days.

Half Time Pizza

by Half Time Pizza » 04 Jul 2023 21:29

AthleticoSpizz Underrated? Jimmy Quinn

Took some dogs abuse in his latter years at the club….christ how I wish we had somebody like him to ‘overrate’ these days.

To think he scored 40 goals in a season and the fans gave POTS to the ruddy left back :shock:

Half Time Pizza

by Half Time Pizza » 04 Jul 2023 21:42

Underrated definitely Jobi in some quarters. Lots of fans around me thought he was a terrible captain but no-one could explain why. He had led the team to promotion and I guess Reading fans have to moan about something. You could question his place in the team ahead of HRK but not his ability to captain which pretty much is off the field role for the younger team members in the squad.

Overated? Probably Alfie for me. Never quite sure why the fans rated him so highly. Good player but that's it.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 04 Jul 2023 22:01

Over-rated: probably controversial, but I never understood the Phil Parkinson thing - he did a lot of symbolic stuff, ran out towards the East stand and put in a thumping challenge in the first 5 mins to show hes the alpha male - but otherwise a very ordinary midfielder and not a patch on Mick Gooding, who is under rated IMHO

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2023 07:31

Half Time Pizza Underrated definitely Jobi in some quarters. Lots of fans around me thought he was a terrible captain but no-one could explain why. He had led the team to promotion and I guess Reading fans have to moan about something. You could question his place in the team ahead of HRK but not his ability to captain which pretty much is off the field role for the younger team members in the squad.

Overated? Probably Alfie for me. Never quite sure why the fans rated him so highly. Good player but that's it.

Yeah, knew a guy who thought Jobi was our worst winger for decades. Absolute div. Brilliant player.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Jul 2023 07:52

Half Time Pizza Underrated definitely Jobi in some quarters. Lots of fans around me thought he was a terrible captain but no-one could explain why. He had led the team to promotion and I guess Reading fans have to moan about something. You could question his place in the team ahead of HRK but not his ability to captain which pretty much is off the field role for the younger team members in the squad.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Alfie. He was a goal poacher and a great impact player but probably overall no better than good.

However, the 2 goals at Southampton in April 2012 will always live long in the memory and I’d love a young Alfie in our current team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2023 08:04

As much as I adored the guy, and he was quality for us, I think Parkinson is pretty much the definition of overrated given he was a little limited and we still sing songs about him almost 20 years after he finished playing for us.