Hob Nob Legend

Re: HMRC Winding up petition/order

by leon » 13 Jul 2023 09:48

From Despair To Where?
leon
Winston Biscuit
Wait until you see the EMF embargo page, it's unbelievable

Boo! You’re shit

I did my best given the paucity if their back catalogue.

I was actually at their Carter support slot at ULU where they got bottled off after 2 songs with chants of "You're shit". Silverfish and Th' Faith Healers also supported IIRC. T'was a good night all round.

I saw Silverfish loads of time in the late 80s/90s

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jul 2023 09:49

For me it's a GK, LB, 3 midfielders, couple of wingers and a forward. That should give us some good depth across the squad. Expect that 2/3 of those will end up being loans though at least.

Not sure I'm that sold on either Bouzanis or Andresson as our number 1, but I think they could do a job, or improve in the latter's case. But that's definitely an area to improve if we can.

NGW needs some competition at LB and he's probably more of a wing back anyway. CB we are ok for I'd say with Holmes, McIntyre, Mbengue* and Dorsett. Bit young, but the former 2 have plenty of experience between them despite their age and should be more than good enough at this level. Obviously if someone leaves, they'd need replacing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2023 09:51

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Hound
Seems an easy trap to think lots of signings=success though

As I’ve said many times, I’d be happy with 6 or so overall. Don’t want to completely reboot the team

I'm in the 6-9 camp - minimum I would want us to bring in a GK, LB, 3 midfielders, 2 or 3 forwards. Could even make an argument for another CB esp if McIntyre is seen a CDM now. I could live without a GK if it meant we strengthen elsewhere as our options are OK for this level.

Need to get the balance right between fresh faces who are better than what we have and there being enough room for Academy players to come through - also need to have experienced options on the bench, don't reall want to go in to too many games with a bench of 18-21 year olds to choose from.

I'm in the camp of

1x CB, 2x CM, 1x AM, 1x W, 1x ST, 1x GK

Yeah similar then. I’ve not seen a lot of Jokull tbh but 50 odd games at men’s level, many of those in L1. Isn’t he the type we should be starting with now? Bouzanis a useful back up

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Jul 2023 09:51

Hound Be happy with 3 mids, couple of wingers/attacking forwards, 1 striker

The centre of mid looks very weak atm and that’s where I hope we focus

Obvs depends on whether Hoilett and Mbengue sign and everyone else hangs around

Would give Jokull a go as GK. I’m sure we can cover LB between NGW, Carson, Clarke and the Maragh

I would say we should be fine with goalkeepers - even if we sent CBC out on loan; at left-back we've got the options you've mentioned, plus McIntyre could play there should we be that desperate [EDIT: Can't Abbey also play left-back?].

Central midfield has to be the primary focus ahead of the season, especially if Walcott and Knibbs are ready to be announced and we're able to renew Hoilett and Mbengue.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jul 2023 10:22

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Hound

As I’ve said many times, I’d be happy with 6 or so overall. Don’t want to completely reboot the team

I'm in the 6-9 camp - minimum I would want us to bring in a GK, LB, 3 midfielders, 2 or 3 forwards. Could even make an argument for another CB esp if McIntyre is seen a CDM now. I could live without a GK if it meant we strengthen elsewhere as our options are OK for this level.

Need to get the balance right between fresh faces who are better than what we have and there being enough room for Academy players to come through - also need to have experienced options on the bench, don't reall want to go in to too many games with a bench of 18-21 year olds to choose from.

I'm in the camp of

34 DD would be quite appealing.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Jul 2023 10:28

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I'm in the camp of

Who doesn't like two big ones up front?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Jul 2023 10:30

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I'm in the camp of

I can just about handle one dd, imagine what this place would be like if there were 34 of him. i'm out :arrow:

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Jul 2023 10:31

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66174548

BBC seemingly confirming we've paid off the tax bill; the charge related to non-payment of players multiple times last season is still awaiting an outcome.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jul 2023 10:38

Clyde1998 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66174548

BBC seemingly confirming we've paid off the tax bill; the charge related to non-payment of players multiple times last season is still awaiting an outcome.

More than anything I want to see a statement from the club that explains why these late wage payments have been occuring and exactly what has been done to ensure they will not happen again.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Jul 2023 10:46

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Hound

I'm in the camp of

Surely 3 x CM. We currently have McIntyre and Hutchinson who can play out of position there, Senga and Craig as academy products on the fringe. I think we want 3 "first choice" CMs to allow for injuries.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Jul 2023 12:57

Not sure where to put this but we’ve just been given about 250k for our players involved in the 2022 wc. Not much but it all helps

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jul 2023 13:10

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I'm in the camp of

Surely 3 x CM. We currently have McIntyre and Hutchinson who can play out of position there, Senga and Craig as academy products on the fringe. I think we want 3 "first choice" CMs to allow for injuries.

A third would be useful, but less necessary. As you say there's 4 players for cover. Plus (lol) Ejaria and potentially the AM depending on skillset.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jul 2023 13:11

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I'm in the camp of

Yeah similar then. I’ve not seen a lot of Jokull tbh but 50 odd games at men’s level, many of those in L1. Isn’t he the type we should be starting with now? Bouzanis a useful back up

GK last on my list for that reason. But I get the impression Jokull isn’t going to get a chance and I'm not keen on Bouzanis.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 13 Jul 2023 21:51

Forbury Lion To be fair to the BBC, as soon as we've been promoted in the past they've referred to us as Premiership newboys or similar so it works both ways.

To be fair to the BBC …

Results, scores, league tables and other sports info is really easy to find and navigate through on line ….

And … I like BBC Berks commentary …. and…. no

That’s it …

I have frequently got the impression that they don’t like our club whereas they appear to love anything in or from Manchester - or in or from other poverty stricken northern cities…

Almost everything else is politicised whiny dross.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Jul 2023 22:01

Nice sig

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jul 2023 00:11

blythspartan Hopefully, there should be some good news about signings today/tomorrow.

I think 6 or 7 new players is enough, especially as Selles needs to mould them into a team. Maybe save one or two options for just before the window closes. I agree with Hound, lots of signings doesn’t guarantee success.

We need a lot more than that, we need more like 10 signings minimum. We have a lot more games than we did in the championship with the Papa Johns Trophy. Bar Dorsett it doesn't look like we have any academy boys ready to step up to the first team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jul 2023 07:34

The Green Programme
Forbury Lion To be fair to the BBC, as soon as we've been promoted in the past they've referred to us as Premiership newboys or similar so it works both ways.

To be fair to the BBC …

Results, scores, league tables and other sports info is really easy to find and navigate through on line ….

And … I like BBC Berks commentary …. and…. no

That’s it …

I have frequently got the impression that they don’t like our club whereas they appear to love anything in or from Manchester - or in or from other poverty stricken northern cities…

Almost everything else is politicised whiny dross.

Welcome back Schards

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Jul 2023 07:52

Royal_jimmy
blythspartan Hopefully, there should be some good news about signings today/tomorrow.

I think 6 or 7 new players is enough, especially as Selles needs to mould them into a team. Maybe save one or two options for just before the window closes. I agree with Hound, lots of signings doesn’t guarantee success.

We need a lot more than that, we need more like 10 signings minimum. We have a lot more games than we did in the championship with the Papa Johns Trophy. Bar Dorsett it doesn't look like we have any academy boys ready to step up to the first team.

I am not sure of the rules but could we use mostly u23s for the Papa Johns Trophy? That for me would be far better to help their development.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jul 2023 08:07

blythspartan
Royal_jimmy

I am not sure of the rules but could we use mostly u23s for the Papa Johns Trophy? That for me would be far better to help their development.

What are we basing the not ready statement on? Plenty of them have already made numerous first team appearances.

Weird thing is we announced we signed some 20 year old from a champ club with a couple of league goals and 20 first team appearances most people would say sounds an intelligent signing

They aren’t 17/18 year old kids. They’ve done time in U23 and been around the first team. No better time to try them than now

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Jul 2023 08:35

Hound
blythspartan
Royal_jimmy

What are we basing the not ready statement on? Plenty of them have already made numerous first team appearances.

Weird thing is we announced we signed some 20 year old from a champ club with a couple of league goals and 20 first team appearances most people would say sounds an intelligent signing

They aren’t 17/18 year old kids. They’ve done time in U23 and been around the first team. No better time to try them than now

I don't think it's enough to say that, just because they've appeared, it means they are good enough though either. How many of them have actually impacted games? Jahmari Clarke hit 2 goals against Birmingham over a season ago, nothing else since. Kelvin E scored from a long throw against Preston, very little else. Yet they all get praised for good work ethic and whatever else, but not many have impacted that many games.

The difference with a player like Olise was he was impacting games. Obviously they won't all be as good as him and yes, a drop down division will do them more good than harm, but do we think that several players are at the level where we want to be at? The top end of L1? Some have had loan spells at the bottom end of L1 at best.

I think the only players ready for serious first team involvement (squad wise) are Dorsett, Abrefa and maybe Andresson. No doubt there will be someone who has a breakout season, but I've seen posts listing 7+ academy players that some people think are good enough, just because they could be or because they've made about a dozen first team appearances. It doesn't always work like that.

398 posts