Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2662 posts
wally bassoon

Re: another, thants right another embargo for late PAYE payments - a new embargo

by wally bassoon » 27 Jul 2023 16:22

Brogue
wally bassoon Same a previous, just quickly messaged my acquaintance at the club, asked if I needed to be worried, and he said no.
Again take from that what you want.

good. he's been spot on in the past if i remember correctly :?:

Yep, that is correct.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: another, thants right another embargo for late PAYE payments - a new embargo

by Orion1871 » 27 Jul 2023 16:28

Brogue
wally bassoon Same a previous, just quickly messaged my acquaintance at the club, asked if I needed to be worried, and he said no.

Not that you needed him for any info being the number 1 ITK on HNA?.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 27 Jul 2023 16:47

Orion1871
Brogue

i like to empower others

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Jul 2023 17:10

Is it correct that due to new EFL regulations clubs are not allowed to announce any potential investors until they have been approved by the EFL?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Jul 2023 17:13

The concern is that Dai is running out of road, Having spent my entire working lifetime in Corporate finance. This has all the hallmarks and indications of a meltdown. That's a commercial dispassionate viewpoint. No point in glossing over how dire matters are. On a personal level I'm praying for a white knight to arrive. Who'll run the club again in a financially sustainable manner and has the decency to respect the club's fans. Not treat us idiots.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 27 Jul 2023 17:16

Brogue
Orion1871
Brogue

i like to empower others

You're very giving.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 27 Jul 2023 17:23

Lower West

The concern is that Dai is running out of road, Having spent my entire working lifetime in Corporate finance. This has all the hallmarks and indications of a meltdown. That's a commercial dispassionate viewpoint. No point in glossing over how dire matters are. On a personal level I'm praying for a white knight to arrive. Who'll run the club again in a financially sustainable manner and has the decency to respect the club's fans. Not treat us idiots.

I think they are just going to pay the bill

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 27 Jul 2023 17:26

Lower West

Could you define what you mean by 'financially sustainable manner'?

The reason I ask, is that EFL football at a Championship level is, by definition unsustainable - and having dropped 66% income because of relegation, I don't see how anyone can square the circle...

It's either a billionaire who gambles or you don't get it to play at all.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 27 Jul 2023 17:32

Linden Jones' Tash
Lower West

The reason I ask, is that EFL football at a Championship level is, by definition unsustainable - and having dropped 66% income because of relegation, I don't see how anyone can square the circle...

It's either a billionaire who gambles or you don't get to play at all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jul 2023 17:37

wally bassoon
Lower West

Hopefully soon so they can bring in a few more players before next sat

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jul 2023 17:44

Hound
wally bassoon
Lower West

Hopefully soon so they can bring in a few more players before next sat

Whip round on Saturday chaps?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jul 2023 17:46

Linden Jones' Tash
Lower West

Well not paying more than 200% of your income in wages, let alone all outgoings, would be a step forward.

With the near total reset we've now had (just Ejaria to go) we should be in a place where we're mostly paying good L1 wages. Matchday revenue should be largely unchanged. We should get pretty decent L1 TV money as a club with one of the better facilities and bigger names plus recent Championship status.

Transfer policy is looking much better. So we should have more players with decent resale value.

So sustainable is running at a small operating loss that can be offset most years with decent transfer incomings, to take us somewhere in the region of +/- £2m - £3m a season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jul 2023 18:16

Which is where you’d hope the academy (continues) to pay its way

Need to be a bit more proactive and sell when there’s the chance and do a lot better at selling at the top of their value

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 27 Jul 2023 18:23

This all reminds me of the old saying - how do you become a millionaire? Answer - Be a billionaire and buy a football club.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 27 Jul 2023 18:33

Snowflake Royal
Linden Jones' Tash
Lower West

Well not paying more than 200% of your income in wages, let alone all outgoings, would be a step forward.

With the near total reset we've now had (just Ejaria to go) we should be in a place where we're mostly paying good L1 wages. Matchday revenue should be largely unchanged. We should get pretty decent L1 TV money as a club with one of the better facilities and bigger names plus recent Championship status.

Transfer policy is looking much better. So we should have more players with decent resale value.

So sustainable is running at a small operating loss that can be offset most years with decent transfer incomings, to take us somewhere in the region of +/- £2m - £3m a season.

Ok, my understanding is that our most recent income in the championship was in the region of £16M.

In L1, I understood relegation to cost in the region of £10M per season ( think it was the Charlton owner who said this).

A £3M loss on revenue of £6-8M is not sustainable...

£5k a week once you add in NI and other costs is nearly £300k a year - if the aim is to have outgoings at 50% of revenue - how can you afford decent players....

I don't think sustainable is an achievable goal tbh.

We need another dreamer with more money than sense...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jul 2023 18:40

12k x £350 alone is £4.2m
Plus catering, shirts, etc
Plus sponsorship
Plus TV money
Plus corporate hospitality
Plus solidarity payment

And you've picked the maximum loss on my scale as the the regular loss, despite me saying plus or minus, so you'd aim to offset at the max end with a profit in future.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 27 Jul 2023 19:06

Oh, I'd love it to be attainable, I just can't see how being competitive and sustainable are compatible given where we are, in real life.

I've renewed my ST and will (try to) enjoy the football, but the rest of it is impossible to process.

Like Mbappe being offered €700M to play in KSA.... Makes no sense
Last edited by Linden Jones' Tash on 27 Jul 2023 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jul 2023 20:17

blythspartan Is it correct that due to new EFL regulations clubs are not allowed to announce any potential investors until they have been approved by the EFL?

Yes

https://theathletic.com/4685753/2023/07 ... ed-article

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Jul 2023 22:45

Stranded One for those more in the know that I - if this issue relate to late PAYE for the last month, then how much are we realistically talking here?

Squad wages were down to 16m, so lets say the rest of the wage bill for non-playing staff is another 2m (probably less) - so total wage bill is 18m. If we pay wages equally each month, than the wage bill for June was 1.5m - how much would PAYE be on that amount? 30%, 40%.

So we could be talking an outstanding amount of around 500k?

Our wage bill is expected to fall to £7m this season. So It'll only cost £600k/month to pay the players

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Jul 2023 22:57

Stranded
blythspartan Is it correct that due to new EFL regulations clubs are not allowed to announce any potential investors until they have been approved by the EFL?

Yes

https://theathletic.com/4685753/2023/07 ... ed-article

Thank you for this. I can’t help thinking that we must have something lined up, but maybe wishful thinking.

2662 posts