Ex Players

3318 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ex Players

by Hendo » 23 Aug 2023 19:46

Esteban
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Does anyone remember a player called Sekou Baradji who played for us? I am pretty sure West Ham signed him on deadline day and we immediately signed him on loan. I noticed that he’s still playing but I have no recollection of watching him play for us and was just wondering if he was any good.

Barely played, but put in a lovely whipped fk that Gunnarsson flick headed in to beat Sheff Utd in the 106 season..forget if it was league or cup.

Pretty sure it was the league. That was the game I started to believe we were be on to something good with that squad.

Yes. 100% the league. Was right at the death as well. Was the game Kenny should’ve been sent off for handball.

Bryn got the other in a 2-1 win.

I don’t want to go all hyperbolic but Baradji basically won us the league.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Aug 2023 19:47

Esteban
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Does anyone remember a player called Sekou Baradji who played for us? I am pretty sure West Ham signed him on deadline day and we immediately signed him on loan. I noticed that he’s still playing but I have no recollection of watching him play for us and was just wondering if he was any good.

Barely played, but put in a lovely whipped fk that Gunnarsson flick headed in to beat Sheff Utd in the 106 season..forget if it was league or cup.

Pretty sure it was the league. That was the game I started to believe we were be on to something good with that squad.

Definitely the league. 89th min winner. Without him we would have drawn that game, finished 5th and lost against Leeds in the playoff final.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Aug 2023 19:48

Hendo
Esteban
Snowflake Royal Barely played, but put in a lovely whipped fk that Gunnarsson flick headed in to beat Sheff Utd in the 106 season..forget if it was league or cup.

Yes. 100% the league. Was right at the death as well. Was the game Kenny should’ve been sent off for handball.

Bryn got the other in a 2-1 win.

I don’t want to go all hyperbolic but Baradji basically won us the league.

Not even up for debate.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Aug 2023 19:49

Snowflake Royal

League. His only league appearance in England.

Now 39 and playing in the French fifth tier. The third tier is roughly equivalent to our Conference National, so fifth tier is roughly equivalent to the seventh tier over here (but with a much more complicated format). Doing well to still be going at that age!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2023 20:14

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal

Now 39 and playing in the French fifth tier. The third tier is roughly equivalent to our Conference National, so fifth tier is roughly equivalent to the seventh tier over here (but with a much more complicated format). Doing well to still be going at that age!

I get confused because the league and cup game were both in October, we scored 2 in each and I went to both.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Aug 2023 20:57

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Snowflake Royal Barely played, but put in a lovely whipped fk that Gunnarsson flick headed in to beat Sheff Utd in the 106 season..forget if it was league or cup.

I get confused because the league and cup game were both in October, we scored 2 in each and I went to both.

Hark at Paul Black over here.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Aug 2023 23:15

I had an absolutely awesome photo of that goal as my screensaver at work.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Aug 2023 08:17

Thanks for the info on Baradji. 05/06 would never of happened without him. I am sure my memory of players/games has got worse since I hit the big 60.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Aug 2023 08:26

And for anyone like me who wouldn't recognise him if he came up to them carrying a banner saying "Hi, I'm Sekou Baradji", here he is from his time at Valenciennes

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Aug 2023 09:42

From Despair To Where? And for anyone like me who wouldn't recognise him if he came up to them carrying a banner saying "Hi, I'm Sekou Baradji", here he is from his time at Valenciennes

He's 39 now and maybe still playing at Istres. Cult status for 1 free kick!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Aug 2023 17:08

Jordan Obita scores for Livingston.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Aug 2023 17:20

From Despair To Where? Jordan Obita scores for Livingston.

Oh dear, not going too well so far.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 28 Aug 2023 15:50

Tyler Frost on TNT Sports 1 playing for Aldershot at Eastleigh..
Jake Taylor playing for the home team.
Last edited by Royals and Racers on 28 Aug 2023 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Aug 2023 15:56

blythspartan Thanks for the info on Baradji. 05/06 would never of happened without him. I am sure my memory of players/games has got worse since I hit the big 60.

It gets even worse and games , players and seasons become so much harder to define.
2005/6 is a reasonable memory point because it was such an unforgettable season.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Aug 2023 18:24

Snowflake Royal

My lasting memory of that incident is Baradji stepping up to take that free-kick and me louding saying" FFS, don't let him take it" then having to eat humble pie immediately afterwards. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fezza

by Fezza » 28 Aug 2023 18:26

South Coast Royal
blythspartan Thanks for the info on Baradji. 05/06 would never of happened without him. I am sure my memory of players/games has got worse since I hit the big 60.

It gets even worse and games , players and seasons become so much harder to define.
2005/6 is a reasonable memory point because it was such an unforgettable season.

It’s odd what memories we hold on to. One of my first was a filthy 0-1 loss at Elm Park in a cup quarterfinal in 1998 (early Jan). Hignet scoring after the awful ref dithered in injury time. Was soaking wet and miserable, a fair reflection of the Bullivant era.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Aug 2023 18:32

Fezza
South Coast Royal

It’s odd what memories we hold on to. One of my first was a filthy 0-1 loss at Elm Park in a cup quarterfinal in 1998 (early Jan). Hignet scoring after the awful ref dithered in injury time. Was soaking wet and miserable, a fair reflection of the Bullivant era.

George Cain, the "butcher of Bootle" - changing his mind about who he was giving the free-kick too, but only after we’d sent all our players forward in anticipation of it. And allowing the kick to be taken by a player who'd just been treated for injury and so shouldn't be on the pitch.

Going into that match we were in the top half of the table (just), plus the FA Cup and playing to get into the semi-final of the league cup - but it all fell apart from that moment. Two more wins in the rest of the season and all the way to relegation.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Aug 2023 20:31

And we had played really well in that game.
My view is that being elderly we have so much to remember through life that it is inevitable that merging of events will take place almost as a pre-dementia phase.
I'll let you know in a couple of years or so (if I remember). if that has happened.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Aug 2023 21:36

Funnily enough, I was thinking about a Freight Rover Trophy hammering we Aldershot the other day and musing how we scored some worldies in that game.

I was convinced I must have made it up as it was the Branfoot era and we played some absolutely dire hoofball until I saw a video the other day and Mick Tait, Trevor Senior and Steve Moran did indeed score a couple of absolute beauties in it.

Goals No 9, 5 and 2 in this countdown

https://youtu.be/AFi4tbZSO2Q?si=vGSU_gWsueDOreC_

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2023 07:11

Dirk Gently
Fezza
South Coast Royal

George Cain, the "butcher of Bootle" - changing his mind about who he was giving the free-kick too, but only after we’d sent all our players forward in anticipation of it. And allowing the kick to be taken by a player who'd just been treated for injury and so shouldn't be on the pitch.

Going into that match we were in the top half of the table (just), plus the FA Cup and playing to get into the semi-final of the league cup - but it all fell apart from that moment. Two more wins in the rest of the season and all the way to relegation.

Cain started refereeing in 1977 after failing to make it in amateur football. Joined the league list in 1984 and retired in 2004. Last heard of as physio at Tranmere Rovers in 2013. That performance v Middlesbrough was bad but then bad refs are always remembered e.g. Paul Rejer who always seemed to have it in for Reading and then there was Clive Wilkes!

3318 posts