MATCHWATCH : Ipswich Town (h)

125 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Ipswich Town (h)

by Orion1871 » 29 Aug 2023 22:33

windermereROYAL
Orion1871
Jackson Corner Concentrate on our relegation battle now.

Agreed

Then join him in the pussy club.

The pussy club sounds fun. Plenty of muchachas waving their panochas all over the place at the pussy club.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Aug 2023 00:14

I've learned quite a bit from that. Overall not too bothered about the defeat and pleased we pushed Ipswich all the way even if the equaliser was against the run of play. No complaints about the result although frustrated with the penalty efforts.

1) Vickers is definitely a talent and was one of the best players on the pitch. He'll be at a higher level in a couple of years (hopefully with us).

2) CBC doesn't look quite ready. Very shakey and had a couple of heart in mouth moments. Hopefully he'll be adequate enough as back up.

3) We need a left back if NGW leaves as Carson was all over the shop tonight. He won't have to face players like Omari Hutchinson luckily but needs some competition as it's a lot of weight to put on him.

4) We're lightweight up front. Tuma needs to go out on loan to a national League side. Ehibatiomhan and Smith are very decent but we need 2 more strikers, especially if Carroll goes.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2023 07:39

Snowflake Royal Just to be clear, Big Kelvin E has 5 goals in 7 appearances this season. And he only has ~10 professional appearances to his name before that.

And 3 of the goals are against Championship clubs. :shock: :shock: :shock:

What. A. oxf*rd. Star.

Popped in to say this. Always liked him. Absolutely brilliant. I hope he's on a decent secure contract!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2023 07:41

Oh, and again I take my hat off to Selles and the boys. A draw against a champ side with our 'B' team. Excellent stuff.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Aug 2023 07:47

That was reasonably entertaining last night. The biggest thing for me is I am enjoying watching Reading again. At the moment for me it’s more about how we’re playing as opposed to always getting the win.

Craig was excellent again in midfield, he uses the ball well and he has a bit of spite about him. Elliott looks a class player too. I think sooner or later it’ll click for us and we’ll batter someone in League One, hopefully Oxford.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Aug 2023 07:51

Ipswich have now scored more goals for Reading at the Madejski than Chris Martin, Lewis Grabban, or Billy Sharp.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Aug 2023 08:02

blythspartan That was reasonably entertaining last night. The biggest thing for me is I am enjoying watching Reading again. At the moment for me it’s more about how we’re playing as opposed to always getting the win.

Craig was excellent again in midfield, he uses the ball well and he has a bit of spite about him. Elliott looks a class player too. I think sooner or later it’ll click for us and we’ll batter someone in League One, hopefully Oxford.

Oxford are really good, and I think we're in for a tough game!!

However, that's exactly what we want - a decent game against an old rival!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2023 08:11

Millsy
Snowflake Royal Just to be clear, Big Kelvin E has 5 goals in 7 appearances this season. And he only has ~10 professional appearances to his name before that.

What. A. oxf*rd. Star.

Popped in to say this. Always liked him. Absolutely brilliant. I hope he's on a decent secure contract!

Starting to think when Smith is fit we should maybe switch to 4-3-3 with Kelvin leading the line and him and Knibbs wide, to let us bulk out midfield a bit more which seems to be our least secure part of the pitch.

Certainly can't drop Kelvin now.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Aug 2023 08:29

Millsy

What. A. oxf*rd. Star.

He's stepped up to the plate brilliantly so far. Hopefully he can get 20 this season with 15 in the league

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 30 Aug 2023 08:36

Royal_jimmy 2) CBC doesn't look quite ready. Very shakey and had a couple of heart in mouth moments. Hopefully he'll be adequate enough as back up.

I'd disagree with you here, other than the through ball just after the goal where the forward nicked it past him where CBC needed to have been out a bit quicker/take control of the situation earlier, I'd say he was very solid throughout - two solid saves first half, and caught everything well that came near him barring one solid punch first half. Couldn't have done much with either goal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2023 08:40

Millsy

What. A. oxf*rd. Star.

And one of his other career goals is also against a champ team (PNE)

Definitely one who seems to have really grasped the chance. It’s not just his goal scoring either, looks good all round

Skys the limit for him really if he keeps fit

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2023 08:41

Craig getting good reviews again. Another I’ve always liked - hopefully can start knocking on the door of the first team now (and extend his contract)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Aug 2023 08:45

blythspartan That was reasonably entertaining last night. The biggest thing for me is I am enjoying watching Reading again. At the moment for me it’s more about how we’re playing as opposed to always getting the win.

Not sure about reasonably entertaining. It was nice to see us hold our own against a team a division above us once again and some pretty good performances, but we managed 4 shots in the entire game and 2 on target, not as if we took the game to them or anything. That's really the only negative though aside from the obvious disappointment of the penalty defeat.

We certainly need to get Kelvin E tied down to a new deal sooner rather than later. If that's the final piece of business we do in this window, it could easily turn out to be our best.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Aug 2023 08:46

Big K is going to be a great player for us. Be a shame when we sell him to Stoke in January. Never get attached folks!

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 30 Aug 2023 08:47

First game of the season for me last night, and some observations:

1. As just posted above I was impressed overall with CBC, looked very solid in his work, barring one incident second half, punched and caught well. Kicking a little off at times admittedly.

2. The high intensity pressing game suits us and rattled the Ipswich defence, both goals came from it. Having two quick forwards (especially first half) really makes a difference.

3. After about the first 15 minutes, we looked fairly lightweight in midfield and didn't really have much control of the game against an experienced Ipswich side. That said, we defended well for the most part. A shame the equalising goal came as a result of a slip, although Ipswich looked to get at us down our right side with most attacks.

4. Following on from 3, I thought Selles made very good substitutions, that helped us gain more control of the game second half. Yiadom did well after coming on at half time, especially when switched to right back - made some very key interceptions. But the big impact changes were the double sub of Savage and Knibbs - we had more control in the middle and more of an outlet up the right to move the team up the pitch. Wifi also helped with this with his introduction and ultimately won the ball and scored the equaliser.

5. Penalties. A real shame for the lads to have gone out like that having battled back to get the draw. However, it was encouraging to see that after each miss there were two or three Reading players well over the halfway line to console the player who'd not scored their penalty. Looks to be a very supportive camp, and at least where there were three misses it'll make it easier for those players to move on as it wasn't just them as an individual to have lost the tie.

Standouts for me last night - CBC, Craig, Knibbs, and Wifi for the impact at the end.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2023 09:17

NathStPaul Big K is going to be a great player for us. Be a shame when we sell him to Stoke in January. Never get attached folks!

As long as we don’t sell on the cheap then that’s fine. It’s what we should be doing at this point in time

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Aug 2023 09:30

Hound
NathStPaul Big K is going to be a great player for us. Be a shame when we sell him to Stoke in January. Never get attached folks!

As long as we don’t sell on the cheap then that’s fine. It’s what we should be doing at this point in time

To an extent. Ideally keep for 2 years or so then sell. Even if he smashes it up until January, his value will be limited after a 6 month streak in L1.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2023 09:49

WestYorksRoyal
Hound

To an extent. Ideally keep for 2 years or so then sell. Even if he smashes it up until January, his value will be limited after a 6 month streak in L1.

Yeah - though I’d regard selling for limited value as on the cheap.

Ideally new contract coming his way

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Aug 2023 10:26

NathStPaul Hope South Coast Royal enjoyed his big day out. I hope Ipswich reserves were everything you hoped they would be.

Regrettably their reserves look better than our reserves but that is where we are currently, us in Div 1 and them in the Championship.
Perhaps you can stop stalking me now the game is over OMA and concentrate on commenting on the game rather than wasting posting space and begging for others to read your inane drivel.

BTW it was "night" not "day" and even a der brain like you should know the difference.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2023 11:19

Hound
Millsy

What. A. oxf*rd. Star.

And one of his other career goals is also against a champ team (PNE)

Definitely one who seems to have really grasped the chance. It’s not just his goal scoring either, looks good all round

Skys the limit for him really if he keeps fit

Exactly, he makes things happen out of nowhere and links up well. Obviiously noone has a crystal ball and we can only guess, but I just hope we don't do something stupid like an Olise with his contract. Looking at you, Bowen.

125 posts