Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
royal67

Re: Selles out

by royal67 » 28 Oct 2023 21:42

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
royal67 Ainsworth has just been sacked..... Surely fate must play some part in him being appointed as our new manager?

Not without a new owner

New owner or not i'd be on the the phone now trying to persuade him to take the role. Just so sick of the no mark nonentities, that it's obvious will be failures before they're even appointed, that the club keep finding.

Couldn't agree more ...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2023 22:05

royal67
Sutekh
Snowflake Royal Not without a new owner

New owner or not i'd be on the the phone now trying to persuade him to take the role. Just so sick of the no mark nonentities, that it's obvious will be failures before they're even appointed, that the club keep finding.

Couldn't agree more ...

If we have the ability to get a new manager in, Ainsworth would be well down my list

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Oct 2023 22:28

Get Ainsworth in immediately.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2023 22:38

NathStPaul Get Ainsworth in immediately.

Dear Mr Bowen

Just this.

Yours sincerely
Reading fans everywhere.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Oct 2023 22:40

Sutekh

Dear Mr Bowen

Just this.

Yours sincerely
Reading fans everywhere.

I know many won't fancy him after the QPR debacle but his track record in League 1 with a Wycombe side who had no budget and a lot of young players is superb. He'd inherit a very similar situation at Reading.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Oct 2023 23:39

Ainsworth is a no brainer. But he’d never come with Dai in charge. And we won’t try.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Oct 2023 00:01

Just looking at how many different ways we've managed to lose games recently -

Go a goal or two up, lose
Let opposition score first, we equalise, lose
Let opposition score first, lose

Originally it was playing away equals lose but now our home form has deserted us too, lose

Surely in some of these circumstances we get a point or three but no, not Reading.

How's it going to change? Can't get new players, new owner months away, we've a manager who is reluctant to change formation (today aside) but happy to tinker players every game. If he can't find the winning formula very soon he has to go (somehow)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Oct 2023 00:03

Ainsworth will be a perfect choice. As started his managerial career with Wycombe in League Two.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Oct 2023 00:11

A very rare +1

He could do really well here. Knows how to do well in this league with fcuk all money. Very much our kind of manager.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2023 07:17

Could do with a protest march demanding his appointment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2023 07:32

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
royal67 Ainsworth has just been sacked..... Surely fate must play some part in him being appointed as our new manager?

Not without a new owner

And how do you propose to pay him, or appoint him without Dai's permission?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2023 07:54

Hasn’t he just spent the last year being worse than awful at QPR? 5 wins in 28, 0.68 ppm if transfermarkt to be believed

Bizarre to suddenly decide he is the answer

He might replicate Wycombe but would think more likely carry on from QPR - crap football and terrible results

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Oct 2023 08:10

Hound Hasn’t he just spent tbe last year being worse than awful at QPR?

He might replicate Wycombe but would think more likely carry on from QPR - crap football and terrible results

Ainsworth did well over a long period of time at Wycombe and he kept a poor QPR side up last season. The problem with the Championship is clubs want instant success because of the riches of the Premiership. Like us QPR have been on a downward spiral for a while now.

I am not sure how we can make any changes with an AWOL owner. If appointing Ainsworth was part of a long term plan to get us back to the Championship I certainly wouldn’t be against it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2023 08:18

blythspartan

Ainsworth did well over a long period of time at Wycombe and he kept a poor QPR side up last season. The problem with the Championship is clubs want instant success because of the riches of the Premiership. Like us QPR have been on a downward spiral for a while now.

I am not sure how we can make any changes with an AWOL owner. If appointing Ainsworth was part of a long term plan to get us back to the Championship I certainly wouldn’t be against it.

They did very slightly better than us last season after he took over? Keeping them up consisted of basically winning 1 game after an absolute horror run

And he’s failed with a team with similar issues to our own, inc having issues with discipline and people getting stupidly sent off (sounds familiar?). Unable to turn round a team falling down the table

19 points in 28 games…
Last edited by Hound on 29 Oct 2023 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Delboy

by Delboy » 29 Oct 2023 08:26

Definitely not Ainsworth . If Bowen wants to keep his job after a sale, he should put Selles on garden leave and prove he can do a job by taking temporary charge otherwise him and Selles will both be sacked by a new owner .

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Oct 2023 08:36

This is the issue. People say they want experienced options, then when one comes along they say "not them". Similar reaction to Cowley rumours in the summer. Some were even questioning Wilder based upon his Boro job. Experienced managers will have blemishes on their record otherwise they will be managing at a higher level.

Ainsworth has an excellent record at this level. QPR are a poor Championship side, whereas this squad is underperforming. If he is willing to jump straight back in, I'd definitely take him.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 29 Oct 2023 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2023 08:36

I wouldn’t be massively against him but at the same time the enthusiasm for him is a bit weird

Would have been sacked months ago by them if it wasn’t for his playing links there

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2023 08:43

WestYorksRoyal This is the issue. People say they want experienced options, then when one comes along they say "not them". Similar reaction to Cowley rumours in the summer. Some were even questioning Wilder based upon his Boro job. Experienced managers will have blemishes on their record otherwise they will be managing at a higher level.

Ainsworth has an excellent record at this level. QPR are a poor Championship side, whereas this squad is underperforming. If he is willing to jump straight back in, I'd definitely take him.

The issue isn’t he’s experienced, it’s that he’s just failed in a team in a similar situation

There are plenty of other experienced managers available

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 29 Oct 2023 08:46

WestYorksRoyal This is the issue. People say they want experienced options, then when one comes along they say "not them". Similar reaction to Cowley rumours in the summer. Some were even questioning Wilder based upon his Boro job. Experienced managers will have blemishes on their record otherwise they will be managing at a higher level.

Exactly this. Show me a manager at this level that hasn’t had a horror show at some point in their career. It can happen to any manager. Doesn’t mean he shit. When he went there most people thought it was the wrong move. It would be quite difficult for any other manager to fcuk things up more than what we are seeing at the moment. You could get ian in and he’d do a better job. We just need to simplify things.

The main issue we have though is we haven’t got any bruisers we are too weak and namby pamby in midfield. We need a few physical players in the team. And unless we can find some sort of budget to bring some loans or ooc players that’s not going to change any time soon. But we really need to see some 6 ft 5 brick shithouses in the team and start roughing up our opponents.
Last edited by Brogue on 29 Oct 2023 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Oct 2023 08:47

Hound
blythspartan

Weren’t they something like 7th when he took over? Keeping them up consisted of basically winning 1 game after an absolute horror run

And he’s failed with a team with similar issues to our own, inc having issues with discipline and people getting stupidly sent off (sounds familiar?)

19 points in 28 games…

I think QPR got off to a really good start last season a bit like us, but that was papering over quite a few cracks. Ainsworth managed to get them wins at Burnley and Stoke which helped to keep them up.

Honestly, I am not sure what the answer for us is right now, but we really need a manager who knows this division and probably the one below and it has to be seen as a long term project.

859 posts