MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (h)

276 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (h)

by Hound » 28 Oct 2023 20:21

CountryRoyal I actually thought we played alright tbf, it’s just a shame we’ve waited until top of the table to try something different.

While we haven’t seen everyone yet, Portsmouth look a cut above everything else we’ve seen. Based on that anyone that finishes above them, is promoted.

If we’d played like that all season we’re a lot higher in the league imho.

Pretty much every game I’ve seen this seaosn I’ve come away thinking we could and probably should have come away with more points than we did

They still had way too many efforts on goal and looks like button made a number of good saves as well

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Oct 2023 20:24

I think that was the best performance so far this season, but we still lack experience "Don't Win Anything with Kids" got to bring back Holmes and Macintyre. Did you hear Mick's comments about appointing a manager like Phil Parkinson ie someone with experience in getting out of this division?
BTW Wrexham won again beating 2nd place Nott County 0-2 away, now joint 2nd. Bet Zip and Despair are feeling a bit stupid now?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2023 20:41

Millsy Fed up with Selles' interviews. The way he speaks he just comes across like a totally arrogant know-it-all c*nt.

We should get him to post on AE.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2023 20:43

skipper
WestYorksRoyal
Hound
Confidence rock bottom. Small things in games going against us (ie savages shot vs Fleetwood), losing mentality. Bad luck.

I’ve not seen anything to suggest with the players we have we should be anywhere near relegation tbh. When we’re on our game we look a decent side

A decent manager would turn this around quickly, I’m pretty sure of it

This. Sounds crazy to say this when bottom of the table and 8 points from safety, but if a new owner can arrive in the next few weeks I can still see us getting to the relative comfort of 17th / 18th.

I totally believe this too. Not sure who that manager is. And I do like Selles young, energetic, high press game.

I'd like to think, sort the top out and the rest will solve itself.

Remember when we were about 22nd and hopeless under Rodgers. And we sacked him after 22 games and finished 9th?

Maybe not that drastic, but with a decent manager and a feel good atmosphere we could soar up to mid table. Still 3/4ers of the season to play.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Oct 2023 20:49

karbota I think that was the best performance so far this season, but we still lack experience "Don't Win Anything with Kids" got to bring back Holmes and Macintyre. Did you hear Mick's comments about appointing a manager like Phil Parkinson ie someone with experience in getting out of this division?
BTW Wrexham won again beating 2nd place Nott County 0-2 away, now joint 2nd. Bet Zip and Despair are feeling a bit stupid now?

Parkinson won't come here with the shambles the club is in. Accept it.

Tom Holmes is not up to it. McIntyre should be playing though
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 28 Oct 2023 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2023 20:50

Clyde1998
YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan The game was better than I thought it would be and after 28 minutes I thought my £20 bet on us to win was money well spent. If Smith had put away his chance it could’ve been a different outcome, but overall the better side won.

We can’t defend out wide and we make it far too easy for other teams to get crosses into our box. One of my issues with Selles is that he doesn’t seem to be able to effect the game with his substitutions. It all seems a bit more in hope rather than having a clear plan.

We haven't been able to defend in wide areas for 3 years now, it's been probably the weakest defensive area of our game for years.

Funnily enough, I remember an post-match Paul Ince interview (kudos if you remember which game) where he mentioned it was in our "culture" to sit back and protect a lead, and he couldn't understand why (despite being the manager, first problem). It's like it's in our culture to be poor at defending in wide areas and from crosses. (It could just be in our culture that we are poor at defending in general).

I think the problem in the wide defensive areas is we're expecting our full-backs to be involved in attacks, whilst also being good defensively. There aren't many players that can do both well (at our level) - that is be good going forward, whilst also being good defensively; players tend to be good at one aspect or mediocre at both.

I think the only real solutions for us at the moment would be: not allowing the full-backs to advance as far up the pitch during attacks as they do currently; playing with a holding midfielder who remains deep during attacks (or could drop into a CB position); or playing with three CBs. The latter two should ensure there's enough defensive cover when the FBs push forward.

I think it was a lot better today. In previous games we've been wide open there. Today I think Pompey were crossing from deeper and putting more men in the box than we've generally seen. And we were winning so little in the air with defenders present.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 28 Oct 2023 21:26

YorkshireRoyal99
Clyde1998
YorkshireRoyal99
We haven't been able to defend in wide areas for 3 years now, it's been probably the weakest defensive area of our game for years.

Funnily enough, I remember an post-match Paul Ince interview (kudos if you remember which game) where he mentioned it was in our "culture" to sit back and protect a lead, and he couldn't understand why (despite being the manager, first problem). It's like it's in our culture to be poor at defending in wide areas and from crosses. (It could just be in our culture that we are poor at defending in general).

I think the problem in the wide defensive areas is we're expecting our full-backs to be involved in attacks, whilst also being good defensively. There aren't many players that can do both well (at our level) - that is be good going forward, whilst also being good defensively; players tend to be good at one aspect or mediocre at both.

I think the only real solutions for us at the moment would be: not allowing the full-backs to advance as far up the pitch during attacks as they do currently; playing with a holding midfielder who remains deep during attacks (or could drop into a CB position); or playing with three CBs. The latter two should ensure there's enough defensive cover when the FBs push forward.

But it was a thing last season as well, we were extremely poor at defending from wide areas and we played without advancing wing backs and with 3 CB's. Granted, that's probably because we invited a lot more pressure rather than leaving ourselves wide open like we do now so understand that it is different in itself, but we just seem really, really poor at defending wide areas.

I could understand being worse last season against better quality opposition, but I think it's also just a combination of our full backs just not being very good in general, manager tactics as well as mentality. When was the last time we genuinely had decent full backs? Richards and Yiadom/Esteves? Even they were flawed but a marked improvement on everything we've had since (Yiadom post the 7th-placed season under Pauno).

I can't really remember much from that season - being the Covid one - so can't remember how we looked defensively. However, I think that season we did benefit from having a largely settled team - especially in midfield. We had the two DMs of Laurent and Rinomhota, along with the usual CB pairing of Morrison and Moore. The players probably knew clearly what their roles were and who was responsible for certain areas of the pitch. I think the balance of the team helped that season too, albeit we completely fell away towards the end of the season. That said, our RB wasn't consistent - with Yiadom, Esteves and Holmes all playing there. The next season we didn't consistently play the same players at DM and CB, which hurt us defensively (we also lost Richards).

I can't remember the last time I was completely confident in our FBs (maybe 2016-17 - but even then I wasn't happy when Blackett played LB). It's probably a combination of players, formation, tactics and mentality.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2023 21:30

Royal_jimmy It is so criminal that Elliott isn't playing more.

Selles is another P.E Teacher of a manager

Exactly what is wrong with this club. The continual appointment of dead duck turds as managers instead of someone with a bit of experience/flexibility and these were even known as such to much of the supporter base from the getgo. It's honestly at the point where some fans would make for better managers, christ even I'd know it's better to build your way of playing around the players you have and i'd be about as much use as a manager as a chocolate teapot however much i'd enjoy being in the role. Get a new owner with a bit of football knowledge/understanding and we might start getting somewhere....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Oct 2023 22:01

Clyde1998
YorkshireRoyal99
Clyde1998 I think the problem in the wide defensive areas is we're expecting our full-backs to be involved in attacks, whilst also being good defensively. There aren't many players that can do both well (at our level) - that is be good going forward, whilst also being good defensively; players tend to be good at one aspect or mediocre at both.

But it was a thing last season as well, we were extremely poor at defending from wide areas and we played without advancing wing backs and with 3 CB's. Granted, that's probably because we invited a lot more pressure rather than leaving ourselves wide open like we do now so understand that it is different in itself, but we just seem really, really poor at defending wide areas.

I could understand being worse last season against better quality opposition, but I think it's also just a combination of our full backs just not being very good in general, manager tactics as well as mentality. When was the last time we genuinely had decent full backs? Richards and Yiadom/Esteves? Even they were flawed but a marked improvement on everything we've had since (Yiadom post the 7th-placed season under Pauno).

I can't really remember much from that season - being the Covid one - so can't remember how we looked defensively. However, I think that season we did benefit from having a largely settled team - especially in midfield. We had the two DMs of Laurent and Rinomhota, along with the usual CB pairing of Morrison and Moore. The players probably knew clearly what their roles were and who was responsible for certain areas of the pitch. I think the balance of the team helped that season too, albeit we completely fell away towards the end of the season. That said, our RB wasn't consistent - with Yiadom, Esteves and Holmes all playing there. The next season we didn't consistently play the same players at DM and CB, which hurt us defensively (we also lost Richards).

I can't remember the last time I was completely confident in our FBs (maybe 2016-17 - but even then I wasn't happy when Blackett played LB). It's probably a combination of players, formation, tactics and mentality.

I was never a fan of Blackett, I guess we weren't bad there when Bowen was in charge, but probably more because it's when we were bloated with full backs that season, especially LB.

It has just seemed to be a problem area for us for a number of years now really and as we have said, it's probably a combination of a lot of things, leading to us not being very good.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2023 22:07

YorkshireRoyal99
Clyde1998
YorkshireRoyal99

I was never a fan of Blackett, I guess we weren't bad there when Bowen was in charge, but probably more because it's when we were bloated with full backs that season, especially LB.

It has just seemed to be a problem area for us for a number of years now really and as we have said, it's probably a combination of a lot of things, leading to us not being very good.

It's only a problem because of the numpty that's being employed as a manager, an intelligent manager would solve the issue through their flexibility.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 28 Oct 2023 22:21

Views in no logical order -

- Great having Yids back, probably best performance from our side today, reports of him shhhh’ing fans a shame but don’t think booing the team after todays performance was justified (it was Tuesday of corse), but booing them today was doing no good and perhaps just a captain trying to protect his team?!
- Elliot, how how how does he not start, best player on pitch when he came on even though he was stuck on the right, he’s a centre midfielder, he’s the best we have , START HIM
- Hutchinson, where is he? Don’t get me wrong it’s great to see Craig play as he’s an academy lad but we need experience in CDM, Hutch has been solid for me this season, something must have happened behind the scenes for him not even in squad
- Vickers, again - in the stands today, surely needs to be on bench at least?!
- Knibbs - did F-all again
-Abbey - no idea how he was dropped today
- Dean - I don’t get the hate towards him from a playing stand point, for me has to start with Abbey for experience
- Smith - it was a dreadful dreadful miss, confidence must be on the floor
- Selles - we can’t afford to sack him, he changed formation today which is a positive, but see above
- SJM - had a chat with him after the game, ‘nowhere even close to a takeover’ was the update he had

Won’t be at MK next Saturday - but will be at Shrewsbury.

In summary, it’s just dire really isn’t but we go again - what else are we going to do.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 29 Oct 2023 07:17

The booing at the end was for the referee. He looked like he wanted to celebrate with the Portsmouth players when their equaliser went in, 45+9 when 8 minutes were added on. He was an absolute whopper who wanted to be the star of the show.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2023 07:24

hughsies no.1 Views in no logical order -

- Great having Yids back, probably best performance from our side today, reports of him shhhh’ing fans a shame but don’t think booing the team after todays performance was justified (it was Tuesday of corse), but booing them today was doing no good and perhaps just a captain trying to protect his team?!
- Elliot, how how how does he not start, best player on pitch when he came on even though he was stuck on the right, he’s a centre midfielder, he’s the best we have , START HIM
- Hutchinson, where is he? Don’t get me wrong it’s great to see Craig play as he’s an academy lad but we need experience in CDM, Hutch has been solid for me this season, something must have happened behind the scenes for him not even in squad
- Vickers, again - in the stands today, surely needs to be on bench at least?!
- Knibbs - did F-all again
-Abbey - no idea how he was dropped today
- Dean - I don’t get the hate towards him from a playing stand point, for me has to start with Abbey for experience
- Smith - it was a dreadful dreadful miss, confidence must be on the floor
- Selles - we can’t afford to sack him, he changed formation today which is a positive, but see above
- SJM - had a chat with him after the game, ‘nowhere even close to a takeover’ was the update he had

Won’t be at MK next Saturday - but will be at Shrewsbury.

In summary, it’s just dire really isn’t but we go again - what else are we going to do.

Hutchinson is injured.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 29 Oct 2023 20:05

Millsy Fed up with Selles' interviews. The way he speaks he just comes across like a totally arrogant know-it-all c*nt.

I agree

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Oct 2023 23:23

Snowflake Royal

We should get him to post on AE.

I think we have enough of those don't you think?

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 20 Nov 2023 17:33

sputnik
skipper It begs the question, how do we get it so wrong?
We have the players. The set up. Training facilities.
Is it as simple as sh*t manager, terrible owner?

yes

I agree

276 posts