Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Selles out

by paultheroyal » 13 Nov 2023 11:13

WestYorksRoyal
Orion1871
WestYorksRoyal How the fcuk did Dai become a billionaire? All his decisions are woeful. Failing to fund the club properly this season could ultimately cost him up to £20m or so.

Buying up air raid shelters and turning then into shopping malls. Conveniently he didn't have to pay tax on the shelters. No wonder he doesn't pay his HMRC bill.

But how did he actually achieve it? I'm not an expert on the retail industry, but presumably it must have involved some sensible decisions and trusting suitable advisors? So why are his decisions in football more akin to a 7 year old with too much pocket money?

He has no interest in the bigger picture. No time for it. Thrown money at big projects, Bearwood for one, and thank him for that, but he chucked a whole lot of money at something he did not know about, with terrible advisors, all to chase the big dream of Premier League football - that has now died, he has lost interest and some, and thankfully and hopefully getting out.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 11:22

paultheroyal
WestYorksRoyal
Orion1871
Buying up air raid shelters and turning then into shopping malls. Conveniently he didn't have to pay tax on the shelters. No wonder he doesn't pay his HMRC bill.

But how did he actually achieve it? I'm not an expert on the retail industry, but presumably it must have involved some sensible decisions and trusting suitable advisors? So why are his decisions in football more akin to a 7 year old with too much pocket money?

He has no interest in the bigger picture. No time for it. Thrown money at big projects, Bearwood for one, and thank him for that, but he chucked a whole lot of money at something he did not know about, with terrible advisors, all to chase the big dream of Premier League football - that has now died, he has lost interest and some, and thankfully and hopefully getting out.

But back to IR's point, if he wanted to get out, there were better ways to do it. Fund the club, ensure better managers are interested and we can recruit well. Sell a club who look like they can bounce back to the Championship quickly instead of being destined for L2.

How much less will he get from the sale because he didn't have a proper exit strategy? These are not the decisions of a self made billionaire.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Nov 2023 11:27

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Saturday was only the second league game I have missed all season and to be honest my weekend was much better because of it. I mostly disengaged myself from the game, but I did listen to BBCRB at the end. Selles, literally doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s all just meaningless words and he doesn’t have a clue about what he’s doing.

I thought that the great reset was going to happen in League One, but oxf*rd me I was wrong. League Two /National League here we come. However, if we can play some reasonably entertaining football and start winning football matches again I don’t care where the reset happens.

I think the thing that's most frustrating is that it was all set and ready to go.

If Dai pays the players and HMRC at the end of last season, we get Wilder in charge, a couple of better signings. Different coaching staff so maybe Smith doesn't get injured. Better manager so maybe doesn't fallout with Carroll and co.

Those first 5/6 games were mostly small margins. Could easily have been on 9/10 points. Everything looks different.

The club is in a far healthier state, attracts more interest and goes at a higher price.

Instead, no one of any note wants to manage us, we lose out on several signings. Fine margins cost us points. A shit manager, protests and worry over being paid destroys morale and we look doomed for L2, with Dai getting a far worse deal, if anything.

Once again, it was all there to get it right, and Dai has once again completely oxf*rd it.

I remain confident that if we get rid of him this season we're o the road to recovery and much happier times. Although 10th in L2 is a whole lot less satisfactory than 10th in L1.

The problem is we could just about sustain the club infrastructure in L1 for a few years. I don't think we can do that for more than 1 or 2 max in L2.

10th in league 2 should not ever be acceptable for us. Promotion should always be an aim in L2

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Nov 2023 11:31

I think Dai's fortune was all luck and no skill

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Nov 2023 11:35

Royal_jimmy I think Dai's fortune was all luck and no skill

You mean he's been very fortunate

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Nov 2023 11:40

Not only Dai.
Very often those that make millions or billions hit on one good idea at the right time.

See also, Madejski and Sugar (Autotrader and Amstrad) who some feel were not the great businessmen they were made out to be but fortunate and successful opportunists which is a different thing altogether.
Dai appears to be the same.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 11:45

Can only say that SJM's tenure here was exactly what you would expect from a successful businessman. Trusted people who knew the industry, invested in places to generate long term success and sold on for a profit.

So can't call him "lucky" in the same way as Dai. Of course, he ultimately lost most of his fortune so maybe he's not perfect.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Nov 2023 11:48

There's a lot of luck in most successful businesses ... the problem is that some who are successful think that is their divine right to be successful and they will be so in whatever they do. But very few are.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Nov 2023 13:52

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Bowen.

Bowen did well, but it was very much a "wtf?" appointment.

Disagree entirely.

It may have made sense eventually, but pretty sure the general consensus was wtf, why has he appointed himself?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Nov 2023 13:53

WestYorksRoyal When did we last appoint a manager who didn't make us think "wtf?".

I'd say McDermott round 2 and Clarke were sensible. Clement had also done OK at Derby. But generally every appointment has come out of nowhere and made no sense.

Hopefully new owners do better.

Na, Clement was also a terrible shout. Hadn't managed a full season with either Derby or Swansea before getting sacked.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Nov 2023 13:56

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Bowen did well, but it was very much a "wtf?" appointment.

Disagree entirely.

It may have made sense eventually, but pretty sure the general consensus was wtf, why has he appointed himself?

Wasn't it a strange reaction on his debut as well initially? Think it was a weird one for sure. He wasn't the worst we've had though, just not that great either and a bit limited.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 15:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal Disagree entirely.

Wasn't it a strange reaction on his debut as well initially? Think it was a weird one for sure. He wasn't the worst we've had though, just not that great either and a bit limited.

There was a vocal minority frothing at the mouth because he'd 'stabbed Gomes in the back and appointed himself'. I don't think that's the same thing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 15:11

Has he gone yet?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 15:12

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman It may have made sense eventually, but pretty sure the general consensus was wtf, why has he appointed himself?

There was a vocal minority frothing at the mouth because he'd 'stabbed Gomes in the back and appointed himself'. I don't think that's the same thing.

We were his first managerial role; most of his career was assistant to Mark Hughes. Add in the perception that he appointed himself and people were definitely miffed. But fair play, he did pretty well.

As an aside, how would people feel if he sent an SOS to his old mate Mark who is currently available? It would be a yes from me. Would need new owners to fund it, obviously.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 15:18

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

We were his first managerial role; most of his career was assistant to Mark Hughes. Add in the perception that he appointed himself and people were definitely miffed. But fair play, he did pretty well.

As an aside, how would people feel if he sent an SOS to his old mate Mark who is currently available? It would be a yes from me. Would need new owners to fund it, obviously.

On your aside, I wouldn’t say no, but I don’t think it’s the right move. I think Internal until we can appoint properly, and that isn’t Hughes in either case.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Nov 2023 15:30

I would imagine that the only reasons Selles hasn't been fired yet are:

1. Bowen and Dai have more pressing issues to attend to and.....
2. We can't afford to pay any compensation that may be due to a Manager we recruited only 4 or 5 months ago (and presumably, his staff).

Otherwise, he should be gone; he is clearly toxic and I would bring in Noel Hunt again - even as an interim manager until the ownership issues are settled.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Nov 2023 15:33

South Coast Royal See also, Madejski and Sugar (Autotrader and Amstrad) who some feel were not the great businessmen they were made out to be but fortunate and successful opportunists which is a different thing altogether.

Read Sugar's autobiography. Your perception might change. Totally self made. A naturally born trader.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 15:34

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Did have this same thought, depends on how motivated Hughes is to get back in

Basically offer it him the way ince was. Caretaker and if it’s goes well then he has a shot at taking over. Or at least putting himself back in the shop window

Not sure if I’d be keen. Obvs better than Selles but most managers would be. Actually think a low rent Warnock type like Cotteril may be the best bet atm

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Nov 2023 16:02

On 4 October 2023, Hughes was sacked as manager with Bradford sitting 18th in League Two. It was felt by the Bradford City players that Hughes was trying to shoehorn Premier League tactics into the League Two side, and this ultimately contributed to the lack of success in his second season.

No thanks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 16:06

Of limited interest but looking at Bradford on bbc noticed Danny Cowley was offered and accepted the job after Hughes before changing his mind for family reasons

859 posts