Selles In

614 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Selles In

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Jan 2024 22:11

He'll only walk if he stops getting paid.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2024 08:46

Had a degree of sympathy for our previous 2 managers and Selles for having to deal with circumstances that weren't done by themselves and they've suffered for, points deductions being the most obvious example.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jan 2024 08:51

WestYorksRoyal I wouldn’t be too upset if he walked, but I'd be concerned by his replacement. Who their right mind would join us in our current state?

Would imagine it'll be an internal appointment so Noel Hunt or James O-P?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2024 09:18

YorkshireRoyal99 Had a degree of sympathy for our previous 2 managers and Selles for having to deal with circumstances that weren't done by themselves and they've suffered for, points deductions being the most obvious example.

Yeah. Whilst I don’t think any of them are especially good managers, it must be a real struggle in the circumstances.

Ince could have justifiably argued it was job done last year other than the points deduction.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2024 09:21

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99 Had a degree of sympathy for our previous 2 managers and Selles for having to deal with circumstances that weren't done by themselves and they've suffered for, points deductions being the most obvious example.

Yeah. Whilst I don’t think any of them are especially good managers, it must be a real struggle in the circumstances.

Ince could have justifiably argued it was job done last year other than the points deduction.

Agreed. Put not great managers in even worse circumstances, it's doomed to fail. Maybe they could have done better under better circumstances and more stable ownership, although if that was the case, I doubt we'd have hired any of Pauno, Ince or Selles and we wouldn't be in L1 either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 09:53

WestYorksRoyal I wouldn’t be too upset if he walked, but I'd be concerned by his replacement. Who their right mind would join us in our current state?

This is where I'm at. Awful position to be in. Especially as a not very good manager.

But a replacement is basically Bowen, Gilkes, Hunt or someone external who is properly shit without a new owner.

Like, might as well employ a nobber, levels of shit.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jan 2024 12:13

SouthDownsRoyal
JR Ruben’s interview with The Chronicle today suggests he’s not far from packing it in.

Getting nothing encouraging from the owner, losing his coaching team around him, having to front-up to the media for all the crap, etc.

No wonder he is mentally tired.

Just read it and yes he does sound pretty fed up and it’s understandable he’s in a pretty rubbish situation as a football manager

Is there a link for this?

In any case, the best thing we have right now, in the absence of any alternatives, is for him to keep managing a young but improving team that is gelling together and starting to put points on the board.

And that is exactly what we're getting right now.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 11 Jan 2024 13:34

stealthpapes
SouthDownsRoyal
JR Ruben’s interview with The Chronicle today suggests he’s not far from packing it in.

Getting nothing encouraging from the owner, losing his coaching team around him, having to front-up to the media for all the crap, etc.

No wonder he is mentally tired.

Just read it and yes he does sound pretty fed up and it’s understandable he’s in a pretty rubbish situation as a football manager

Is there a link for this?

In any case, the best thing we have right now, in the absence of any alternatives, is for him to keep managing a young but improving team that is gelling together and starting to put points on the board.

And that is exactly what we're getting right now.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/24039690.reading-fc-boss-issues-disappointing-ownership-update/

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jan 2024 13:38

Thank you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 17:28

As much as anything he sounds sick of being asked the same stupid questions by the press about something he's not involved in, has no influence over and doesn't know anything about.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jan 2024 17:24

I've knocked Selles at every opportunity. Before he joined, preseason, from the first game, and through till now. Don't think he's a great manager.

But I have to say I'm impressed with his attitude. Poor fella has been doing a job sometimes unpaid, and the owner pissing all over him. Dreadful situation, poor chap.

Would absolutely love to see the guy do well here.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Jan 2024 17:26

Millsy I've knocked Selles at every opportunity. Before he joined, preseason, from the first game, and now. Don't think he's a great manager.

But I have to say I'm impressed with his attitude. Poor fella has been doing a job sometimes unpaid, and the owner pissing all over him. Dreadful situation, poor chap.

Agreed. He is coming over very well in his BBCRB interview. Tremendous honesty and I have changed my mind about him. If we still have a club I hope he is here next season now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2024 17:30

andrew1957
Millsy I've knocked Selles at every opportunity. Before he joined, preseason, from the first game, and now. Don't think he's a great manager.

Agreed. He is coming over very well in his BBCRB interview. Tremendous honesty and I have changed my mind about him. If we still have a club I hope he is here next season now.

Shows the club and Bowen up. MB really should have been the one answering the questions but Dai's "no comment" approach to running a club seems to flow down to the people where communication should be an important part of their job descriptions.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 Jan 2024 18:13

Sutekh
andrew1957

Shows the club and Bowen up. MB really should have been the one answering the questions but Dai's "no comment" approach to running a club seems to flow down to the people where communication should be an important part of their job descriptions.

In the interview Selles said that he wanted to come out (for the interview!) and also made it clear that Bowen heard about the offers for Abbey and Holmes being accepted at the same time as Bowen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2024 18:20

He sounds and looks proper broken on the interview in the official

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Jan 2024 18:44

He will come out of this sh1t the better for it.

Very much in the IN camp right now….speaks as found

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Jan 2024 18:48

If a new owner is rebuilding the rubble in L2 with a new bunch of kids, I'm more than happy for Ruben to be involved.

Please stay clear of the L2 "reset" jokes, they've been tedious for months now.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Jan 2024 19:32

"It is their club for life" the guy spoke so well and seems to completely get it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2024 22:31

Uke
Sutekh
andrew1957

In the interview Selles said that he wanted to come out (for the interview!) and also made it clear that Bowen heard about the offers for Abbey and Holmes being accepted at the same time as Bowen.

I also heard that Selles found out at the same time as Selles.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 14 Jan 2024 17:25

Sutekh
Uke
Sutekh

I also heard that Selles found out at the same time as Selles.

:lol:

614 posts