#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2661 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: #SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

by Brogue » 16 Jan 2024 11:01

suggest everyone tunes into talksport in a min. chairman of the EFL rick parry has been talking to parliament today. it just about to be broadcast on Talk Sport after the break

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYehNY6ZFwU

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 16 Jan 2024 11:02

RoyalBlue
OLLIE KEARNS
windermereROYAL People pushing for more pitch invasions, not sure what traction it will get, but for me Saturday sent out a big message and achieved it`s goals, any more will be counter productive and do more damage than good.
It will almost certainly stop fans coming if they`re uncertain of seeing a full game.

My best guess would be that it firstly ensures relegation as a result of lost revenue and further sanctions such as points deductions for not paying wages. Secondly, the EFL may disqualify him from ownership thus requiring a new source of funds just to fund the club on a daily basis. .

One independent 'expert' on Twitter (he seems to know what he is talking about and has produced a lot of info about Dodgy Dai's dealings/troubles in China) said that they can only bar him from being a director. He will remain as majority shareholder as long as he chooses.

Correct. The Government can't just take people's property from them, this goes back to Magna Carta.

They can only take away your things if they are proceeds of crime or in the case of Abramovich are sanctioned for the purposes of national security. Or if you owe them money.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Jan 2024 11:07

I'm assuming that the new anti-protest laws give the police more power to act to arrest expected protesters before they get to the game, and make it easier to remove them once there. Obviously if there's a few hundred on the pitch there's nothing they can do - and they will always have to make a judgement on whether the risk of escalating things is worth it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are a bit more proactive with this for the next game.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Jan 2024 11:09

Greatwesternline
RoyalBlue
OLLIE KEARNS
My best guess would be that it firstly ensures relegation as a result of lost revenue and further sanctions such as points deductions for not paying wages. Secondly, the EFL may disqualify him from ownership thus requiring a new source of funds just to fund the club on a daily basis. .

One independent 'expert' on Twitter (he seems to know what he is talking about and has produced a lot of info about Dodgy Dai's dealings/troubles in China) said that they can only bar him from being a director. He will remain as majority shareholder as long as he chooses.

Correct. The Government can't just take people's property from them, this goes back to Magna Carta.

They can only take away your things if they are proceeds of crime or in the case of Abramovich are sanctioned for the purposes of national security. Or if you owe them money.

They didn't even take Abramovich's assets. They have been put into a trust which is supposed to be used to support war victims in Ukraine, but Abromovich is now backtracking on that and hoping that it will eventually be released to him.

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 16 Jan 2024 11:12

OLLIE KEARNS
RoyalBlue
OLLIE KEARNS

And he’ll remain the owner of the main assets (Stadium/Bearwood) which is the key point. They both have ongoing value regardless of whether there is a Reading football club in the future.

Would you like me to tell you how much BWFC's owners agreed to pay for the Reebok Stadium, the hotel, the training ground, development land, plant and equipment and fixtures and fittings?

No. Well I'll tell you anyway. £12.5m the lot.

Further details can be found here:
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history

Why would anybody pay that or more for Reading's assets?
Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on 16 Jan 2024 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jan 2024 11:17

In the same way that you can get a 3 bed terrace in Bolton for under £100k but the cheapest one in Reading costs £250k

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Jan 2024 11:18

There should really be some kind of compulsory purchase law regarding football clubs.

If a tribunal determines that an owner is putting the ongoing existence of a club at risk then an order can be issued for the purchase at a fair compensation level. I'm not sure what body would purchase it or where the funds would come from, but it couldn't be that difficult to work it out.

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 16 Jan 2024 11:22

From Despair To Where? In the same way that you can get a 3 bed terrace in Bolton for under £100k but the cheapest one in Reading costs £250k

Are you really that stupid?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Jan 2024 11:25

Is Ten Bobsworth a Bolton supporter? If so why is he here?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jan 2024 11:26

He was hounded off their own forum for being a tedious bore.

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 16 Jan 2024 11:28

NathStPaul Is Ten Bobsworth a Bolton supporter? If so why is he here?

Maybe I'm just trying to educate soft-headed southerners. Its hard going but somebody has to try.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jan 2024 11:28

No, but you are.

If Dai thinks that the actual going rate for the land is a fair price to ask then he will ask it. If he liquidates the club, he still owns the land and that's it's market rate.

I'm not saying it's right or realistic in the sense of selling it as part of a football club as a going concern, but that is the basic value of the plot of land.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jan 2024 11:36

Hendo He was hounded off their own forum for being a tedious bore.

And the Cheltenham one too.

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 16 Jan 2024 11:39

From Despair To Where? No, but you are.

If Dai thinks that the actual going rate for the land is a fair price to ask then he will ask it. If he liquidates the club, he still owns the land and that's it's market rate.

I'm not saying it's right or realistic in the sense of selling it as part of a football club as a going concern, but that is the basic value of the plot of land.

The ground cost him £28m. That's what he will be looking to recoup.

He might try to hold out but he'll get what anybody is willing to pay and he doesn't seem to be in a great bargaining position.
Maybe he needs to get Ken Anderson on his side. Ken got Cardiff City to part with £6m for Gary Madine and Forest to pay £4m for Zach Clough.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Jan 2024 11:41

He's not acting rationally which is what makes it such an impossible situation. We can only speculate what the SCL and Bearwood are worth, but it's very reasonable to assume that they are worth less individually than they are as a package accompanied by a team and an academy.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 16 Jan 2024 11:43

Simon Jordan summed it up pretty well. Disqualifying the owner leaves an immediate funding issue and doesn’t force him to sell anything. At best (if some funding can found) a continued tumble down the leagues is highly likely. Staying in league 1 may be very important in the overall scheme of things.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jan 2024 11:52

WestYorksRoyal

He's not acting rationally which is what makes it such an impossible situation. We can only speculate what the SCL and Bearwood are worth, but it's very reasonable to assume that they are worth less individually than they are as a package accompanied by a team and an academy.

That's what I'm saying though. He will just look at the actual land value and I'm not convinced they would be worth less individually as their current use is tied in to the football club. With no club, they're plots of land and probably worth more.

To him as a development opportunity, it's worth much more than as an asset of the club. We know he's not rational so If he's looking to sell he will see the asking price as providing compensation for the loss of that development opportunity.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Jan 2024 11:55

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal

That's what I'm saying though. He will just look at the actual land value and not as an asset belonging to the football club and I'm not convinced they would be worth less individually as their current use is tied in to the football club. With no club, they're plots of land and probably worth more.

Yeah I was just thinking that, it's potentially a development spot for somebody. Selling a club at £30m would seem pointless if a property developer would give you £25m each for the stadium and training ground, for example. I'd guess that's where Dai might have his valuations from.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Jan 2024 12:07

So, even before its designation as a community asset, the SCL had a covenant that it can only be used to host sport. The idea that Dai could get around this by liquidating the club is bonkers; the council will not give him anything out of the moral outrage for what he's done. It would make it super clear to any buyer that they can't do anything with it. It would remain a white elephant for at least a decade.

As for Bearwood, it's not specifically protected. But as a green space in a leafy part of berks, best of luck to anyone trying to build homes or a retail park.

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 16 Jan 2024 12:20

Dai has had all the time he would need to get relevant professional advice and is unlikely to be impressed by the personal abuse or attempts to steamroller him.

If anything, these are much more likely to stiffen his resolve to get the best financial outcome for himself and anyone else financially connected to him.

2661 posts