#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2684 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: #SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2024 12:38

Sutekh FSA backing the idea for all fans to show soldarity by applauding the 16th minute of games...

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/16-is-the-ma ... t-reading/

Would love that to happen, hope the message gets out...

It will happen in some places, not others. Will guarantee that where it does happen, a lot of people who end up clapping will have no idea why but will join in assuming it is for some fan who is ill/passed away rather than Reading.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2024 12:55

kieran
Sutekh
Stranded
That may well have more to do with the people you spoke to then anything else.

No-one is denying that some fans of our club enjoyed other clubs going through the shit but I seriously doubt, there is one who is annoyed they weren't saved. It however, shows a serious level of internal anger, to really be of the mindset of - they sang some nasty songs about us so I hope they get fcuked. Sing nasty songs back by all means but you would think fans of a club who have been through this shit would be the most supportive but its football I guess, and people enjoy being an arsehole.

Think the general disdain at the time for Pompey was rife across a lot of supporters of other clubs because of how they'd got themselves into such a mess, but probably what really wound the Reading support up the most was the seeming failure to take their last game of the 2007/8 season v Fulham seriously because they had a cup final the following week.

I think you are proving my point. Apparently theres a good reason for ill feeling towards Pompey but Reading deserve no ill feeeling even thought it has been dispensed. Reading are special..sheeesh.

Be honest, Reading would have rested players ahead of an FA cup final also, and you would have supported it.
Be honest, Reading have overspent just as Pompey did (maybe not as much but the principle is the same). Neither set of fans have any say in it.
Be honest, you would have celebrated if you won the FA cup

Maybe if it were just accepted that Reading is no different and we all got screwed then there may be a little more sympathy?

But, I am guessing theres going to be a reply justifying why Reading is different.................

There's a few differences.

There was already a general dislike of Pompey because of their BELLend and South coast proximity that frequent had us as poor relations in the media. Plus what was previously referenced. That's specific club to club, not generic across all clubs.

Then there's that we got our actual success, both PL jaunts by spending sustainably, under good and sensible leadership, bar the very end of the second promotion push from Zingarevich, but that had limited effect. As well as our last PO appearance.

There was also considerable concern raised amongst the fanbase around the signings of Aluko on big money, plus spending big on Puscas and Joao at the same time, immediately after a soft embargo lifted.

Plus with Pompey, criticism of them was followed by a dickhead fan turning up on here giving it large about how they'd done nothing wrong and we'd go into administration before them. Was it you?

Generally speaking there's always going to be an element of ignorance from other fans about how much concern and opposition there's been to mismanagement, especially if that bought success to a club at the same time. And especially if that club is geneally disliked, like Leeds, or Pompey for example.

I don't blame those fans for reacting without much sympathy. And I don't blame fans of clubs we have a genuine rivalry with being pissy about it, so it's understandable for Pompey. But I would expect clubs who have been through it, to be more aware and more sympathetic. As I'm sure we would be in future to others if we survive.

But Reading really isn't a particularly offensive club. And we can hardly be accused of buying success by anyone who actually knows anything, because Dai took over at the very tail end of our last PO season. And the one 7th finish was basically down to three months of unbelievable but unsustainable performance.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jan 2024 12:59

kieran But, I am guessing theres going to be a reply justifying why Reading is different.................

We haven't gone into administration three times?

Misplaced blame does probably come into it, similar with how Derby celebrated us going down at their place like it was the highlight of their season (it probably wasn't far off).

I don't really care about fans singing songs. It's just, to use that horrible term 'banter', but wanting any team to fold is weird.

kieran

by kieran » 19 Jan 2024 13:05

Snowflake Royal
kieran
Sutekh
Think the general disdain at the time for Pompey was rife across a lot of supporters of other clubs because of how they'd got themselves into such a mess, but probably what really wound the Reading support up the most was the seeming failure to take their last game of the 2007/8 season v Fulham seriously because they had a cup final the following week.

I think you are proving my point. Apparently theres a good reason for ill feeling towards Pompey but Reading deserve no ill feeeling even thought it has been dispensed. Reading are special..sheeesh.

Be honest, Reading would have rested players ahead of an FA cup final also, and you would have supported it.
Be honest, Reading have overspent just as Pompey did (maybe not as much but the principle is the same). Neither set of fans have any say in it.

Maybe if it were just accepted that Reading is no different and we all got screwed then there may be a little more sympathy?

But, I am guessing theres going to be a reply justifying why Reading is different.................

There was already a general dislike of Pompey because of their BELLend and South coast proximity that frequent had us as poor relations in the media. Plus what was previously referenced. That's specific club to club, not generic across all clubs.

Then there's that we got our actual success, both PL jaunts by spending sustainably, under good and sensible leadership, bar the very end of the second promotion push from Zingarevich, but that had limited effect. As well as our last PO appearance.

There was also considerable concern raised amongst the fanbase around the signings of Aluko on big money, plus spending big on Puscas and Joao at the same time, immediately after a soft embargo lifted.

Plus with Pompey, criticism of them was followed by a dickhead fan turning up on here giving it large about how they'd done nothing wrong and we'd go into administration before them. Was it you?

Generally speaking there's always going to be an element of ignorance from other fans about how much concern and opposition there's been to mismanagement, especially if that bought success to a club at the same time. And especially if that club is geneally disliked, like Leeds, or Pompey for example.

I don't blame those fans for reacting without much sympathy. And I don't blame fans of clubs we have a genuine rivalry with being pissy about it, so it's understandable for Pompey. But I would expect clubs who have been through it, to be more aware and more sympathetic. As I'm sure we would be in future to others if we survive.

But Reading really isn't a particularly offensive club. And we can hardly be accused of buying success by anyone who actually knows anything, because Dai took over at the very tail end of our last PO season. And the one 7th finish was basically down to three months of unbelievable but unsustainable performance.

And there you go, as you said, its different for Reading. Expect little sympathy until this stance is removed. A van load of Pompey fans went to Bury to raise money on the way to a game several times. We had active fundraisers for Bolton and Bury just recently as well as 20 minutes of full on (Fratton park style) "F**k the EFL" in support at one game. During protest marches there were fans of Pompey at both the aforementioned in the media at the time. Likewise for the Pompey marches football shirts of all colours. None were Readings. Sometimes in life you get what you put in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2024 13:05

I think it's safe to say most Reading fans were sympathetic to Bury's plight as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2024 13:05

kieran
Snowflake Royal
kieran

And there you go, as you said, its different for Reading. Expect little sympathy until this stance is removed. A van load of Pompey fans went to Bury to raise money on the way to a game several times. We had active fundraisers for Bolton and Bury just recently as well as 20 minutes of full on (Fratton park style) "F**k the EFL" in support at one game. During protest marches there were fans of Pompey at both the aforementioned in the media at the time. Likewise for the Pompey marches football shirts of all colours. None were Readings. Sometimes in life you get what you put in.

Be honest, you didn't read it, did you. :lol:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Jan 2024 13:41

Spending all that money under Dai was appalling - it harmed not just us but English football in general by contributing to wage and transfer fee inflation. Of course, we were far from the only villains on that account - some clubs had better accountants/lawyers (Stoke), others were more successful in how they spend the money and got into the PL before the bubble burst. But we're still guilty.

Does that mean that we deserve what is happening to us now? No, and you'd hope that all fans would have sympathy. But we're genuinely no better than any other clubs that rolled the dice and went for broke.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jan 2024 14:01

kieran
Snowflake Royal
kieran

I don’t have anything against any club and I attended a Pompey march with a couple of Pompey supporting mates. I didn’t wear my Reading shirt, mainly because I have never been to Fratton Park wearing colours.

I think the problem for us sometimes is other clubs don’t see us as being worthy (tinpot whatever that really means). I accept that if you go to places like Portsmouth, Derby and Sunderland everyone in those towns is wearing their respective team’s colours. Yet around Reading you’re likely to see more Chelsea and Man United shirts, and that probably is due to us not having an illustrious history.

Personally, I think the majority of decent fans don’t want to see any other football clubs go out of business. I certainly wouldn’t want that to happen to the likes of Oxford and Swindon. Also, whether you have an average attendance of 800 or 75,000 all fans deserve to be respected for supporting their team.

kieran

by kieran » 19 Jan 2024 14:32

Snowflake Royal
kieran
Snowflake Royal There's a few differences.

Be honest, you didn't read it, did you. :lol:

Yes, I did read it. In summary; Reading is different

kieran

by kieran » 19 Jan 2024 14:42

blythspartan
kieran
Snowflake Royal There's a few differences.

I don’t have anything against any club and I attended a Pompey march with a couple of Pompey supporting mates. I didn’t wear my Reading shirt, mainly because I have never been to Fratton Park wearing colours.

I think the problem for us sometimes is other clubs don’t see us as being worthy (tinpot whatever that really means). I accept that if you go to places like Portsmouth, Derby and Sunderland everyone in those towns is wearing their respective team’s colours. Yet around Reading you’re likely to see more Chelsea and Man United shirts, and that probably is due to us not having an illustrious history.

Personally, I think the majority of decent fans don’t want to see any other football clubs go out of business. I certainly wouldn’t want that to happen to the likes of Oxford and Swindon. Also, whether you have an average attendance of 800 or 75,000 all fans deserve to be respected for supporting their team.

Cant argue with that. For what its worth I remember it being a very depressing, hopeless time. For me my football underpins everything I do and hence it really affected my life. I am going through a very bad set of circumstances now and am thankful that these are not happening to me in tandem.

Again, not that its worth much, this time will pass and something will shift to ensure your club survives and you will enjoy supporting your club again. Like anything it just takes time.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jan 2024 16:30

kieran this time will pass and something will shift to ensure your club survives and you will enjoy supporting your club again. Like anything it just takes time.

The difference is that we haven't gone into administration and started again.

The threat, as outlined by a whistleblower (and this owner's past history) is Dai's apparent intention to asset strip and liquidate. That's a whole different ball game, making us much more like Bury, but with an even harder battle to get our ground back if we fold.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Jan 2024 17:26

kieran
Schards#2
kieran
Thats not just what was sung about Pompey though was it. It was constant "Party and cakes when Pompey die", "Let em die" and many other chants, my personal favourite "We're embracing fiscal prudence" (oh, the irony) and together with that thread it was pretty clear there was a huge section of Reading fans that rejoiced in Pompey's downfall. Theres no point in pretending otherwise. I lives in Reading at the time and I dodnt speak to a single Reading fan that didnt want Pompey to die.

I think there's a difference between wanting a club to go into administration and wanting it to cease to exist. I honestly doubt the majority of Reading fans wanted Portsmouth to be liquidated. I also think the animosity towards Portsmouth was exacerbated by their overspending getting them to an FA Cup final.

In the case of Derby, I genuinely felt sorry for them and admired the efforts of their team and their excellent support in an impossible
situation. Again, I'm sure many did, but there's always going to be a moronic few who think mocking the potential death of a club is 'bantz'

Go back and have a look at the thread on here. There were many hoping Pompey would die. And I also spoke to many.

Its exactly the same situation, there will be many Pompey fans with sympathy but there will also be a sizeable number with none. Compare that to a club that hasnt been abused in the past where it will be 100% sympathy. Reading also got to a semi final by overspending? Of course Pompey were actually succesfull but does that make it more wrong as your post seems to suggest that there is a little justification that perhaps doesnt apply to Reading?

I think everyone saying Pompey should pay up their debts to local florists/ food companies etc, while their fans stuck 2 fingers up and just revelled in the temporary success the overspending got you, did you lot no favours at all with other football fans around Britain

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Jan 2024 17:33

kieran And there you go, as you said, its different for Reading. Expect little sympathy until this stance is removed. A van load of Pompey fans went to Bury to raise money on the way to a game several times. We had active fundraisers for Bolton and Bury just recently as well as 20 minutes of full on (Fratton park style) "F**k the EFL" in support at one game. During protest marches there were fans of Pompey at both the aforementioned in the media at the time. Likewise for the Pompey marches football shirts of all colours. None were Readings. Sometimes in life you get what you put in.
I went on one of those marches with a bunch of Reading fans from work and a Pompey supporting colleague, I don't think any of us wore Reading shirts though as we figured it might make getting a drink in the town difficult.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Jan 2024 17:33

Sutekh FSA backing the idea for all fans to show soldarity by applauding the 16th minute of games...

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/16-is-the-ma ... t-reading/

Would love that to happen, hope the message gets out...

Hope it doesn't happen. But I have already been pretty vocal on that one so I'll leave it there.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Jan 2024 17:33

kieran And there you go, as you said, its different for Reading. Expect little sympathy until this stance is removed. A van load of Pompey fans went to Bury to raise money on the way to a game several times. We had active fundraisers for Bolton and Bury just recently as well as 20 minutes of full on (Fratton park style) "F**k the EFL" in support at one game. During protest marches there were fans of Pompey at both the aforementioned in the media at the time. Likewise for the Pompey marches football shirts of all colours. None were Readings. Sometimes in life you get what you put in.
I went on one of those marches with a bunch of Reading fans from work and a Pompey supporting colleague, I don't think any of us wore Reading shirts though as we figured it might make getting a drink in the town difficult.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2024 08:44

In case it's been missed, MB said to Tim on Thursday that up to 4 parties are currently showing a firm interest in buying the club at this moment in time, all are under NDAs so should be silence coming out in the public domain until something "positive" happens to move forward. Feeling from him that something has changed and there is a new resolve from Dai to get a sale done.

And all in all if the club can be sold and finish 20th or higher then it's been a successful season :?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jan 2024 09:52

Sutekh In case it's been missed, MB said to Tim on Thursday that up to 4 parties are currently showing a firm interest in buying the club at this moment in time, all are under NDAs so should be silence coming out in the public domain until something "positive" happens to move forward. Feeling from him that something has changed and there is a new resolve from Dai to get a sale done.

And all in all if the club can be sold and finish 20th or higher then it's been a successful season :?

If we finished 21st or below but get new owners it's also been a successful season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Jan 2024 10:05

The 16th minute solidarity applause advised by the FSA is going down has you would expect, nothing like loading the ammunition for us to be shot at is there?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Jan 2024 10:33

windermereROYAL The 16th minute solidarity applause advised by the FSA is going down has you would expect, nothing like loading the ammunition for us to be shot at is there?

Suppose all we can do is say we didn’t ask for this initiative, we haven’t been pushing it. The FSA have done this off their own back. Don’t think it will help mind, most people, quite rightly are thinking wtf, nah.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2024 10:37

Those who do it, thanks its appreciated.

Those who don't, no worries. Please just lend your voice to any club getting shafted by shit owners who can't manage finance and support proper regulation. It's not just us for us. There's loads of others who could and are following in our footsteps, and every single club is a bad owner and a half dozen years from where we are.

2684 posts