Stranded
Linden Jones' Tash
Brogue Will Unwin
@Will_Unwin
Nelson Abbey is set to leave Reading to join Olympiakos, I am told
2:11 PM · Jan 19, 2024
·
^ guardian journo

So as he's out of contract in the summer and Olympiakos is not an English team - what does this mean regarding any compensation?

Nothing. If he goes now, it is a transfer, which would include a fee plus we apparently have an option on another year too.

If he was OOC, we would get close to zero comp from him leaving to go abroad.

"Close to zero" by PL standards perhaps, but not by League One standards - somewhere in the range of €300k-500k. Crucially we'd also be due that if he moved from Olympiakos to Forest, along with a solidarity payment on any fee.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by Clyde1998 » 19 Jan 2024 22:57

SCIAG
Stranded
Linden Jones' Tash
So as he's out of contract in the summer and Olympiakos is not an English team - what does this mean regarding any compensation?

Nothing. If he goes now, it is a transfer, which would include a fee plus we apparently have an option on another year too.

If he was OOC, we would get close to zero comp from him leaving to go abroad.

"Close to zero" by PL standards perhaps, but not by League One standards - somewhere in the range of €300k-500k. Crucially we'd also be due that if he moved from Olympiakos to Forest, along with a solidarity payment on any fee.

To expand on this: there are two types of payment potentially payable if Abbey were to leave when out of contract.

If he moved to another English club, the payment we'd receive would be determined by the Professional Football Compensation Committee. Who would determine the fee payable based on costs related to us developing the player. This cannot be predicted with any accuracy before hand and is determined by a tribunal.

For external transfers, FIFA's Training Compensation rules will used and will be payable for each transfer up until the season that contains the player's 23rd birthday's end. As SCIAG says: it would be up to €490k, depending on how the club's academy is categorised under FIFA's rules - I'm guessing it would match the FA's youth categories (of which we've been Category 1 in all seasons since its inception, with the exception of last season).

I estimate based on the (rather opaque) FIFA guide on this matter, we'd probably get €460,000 (~£400k) for him if he left to Olympiacos after his contract expired in the summer (assuming he was at the club prior to his 12th birthday).

traff

by traff » 20 Jan 2024 01:23

Naive question:

If the punt of an owner is not communicating with anyone at the club. How are these player sales being, authorised and conducted?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2024 08:09

traff Naive question:

If the punt of an owner is not communicating with anyone at the club. How are these player sales being, authorised and conducted?

Because Pang probably has "power of attorney" in flogging off the club jewels.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2024 08:30

NathStPaul
Brogue
YorkshireRoyal99
No I don't think so either. I don't think he was specifically the problem with our defence, a lot of issues with that, but as you say he never really stood out amongst the rest either. I've always had him down as a mid-lower end Championship defender, with the potential to get better, which I hope he does because he's a good lad and never done wrong for us.

I would save your breath, SCIAG believes Tom Holmes is better than Jake Cooper :| he has weird views towards our academy products. Saying things like letting Teddy Howe go was a massive mistake, and how he was going to be a regular championship defender. checks where he is now? weymouth :|

Yeah SCIAG has a history of being wrong.

Was always impressed by Cooper, rarely impressed by Holmes.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jan 2024 08:32

Ascotexgunner
windermereROYAL
Ascotexgunner Heartbreaking......These w*nkers are selling off any future we have of moving on. Abbey sale has angered me more because not only is he a future captain but the potential is there and a big money move...

He hasn`t gone yet, rumour being he`s rejected the move. ooc in the summer anyway.

If he rejects it I'll love him forever and his name goes on the back of my shirt.

Only if he re-signs in the summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2024 10:19

traff Naive question:

Why would the owner and CEO need their subordinates at the club to authorise any transfers they set up?

Sign off flows up, not down.

traff

by traff » 20 Jan 2024 18:57

Snowflake Royal
traff Naive question:

Why would the owner and CEO need their subordinates at the club to authorise any transfers they set up?

Sign off flows up, not down.

Precisely.
Dai is such a control freak and seems to have had the final say on transfers previously, Therefore, I am surprised that he would allow anyone the authority to sell without his explicit say so, even the CEO, yet the line from the club is no one has a line of communication to the feckless ****.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Jan 2024 14:09

RFC Latest supposedly ITK over on X are reporting that Abbey is over in Greece today, and we will receive a "small fee"

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jan 2024 14:26

windermereROYAL RFC Latest supposedly ITK over on X are reporting that Abbey is over in Greece today, and we will receive a "small fee"

Small fee by whom's standards? Olympiakos' record signing was >£10m, and £5m+ fees are a regular occurrence for them. A local journo could easily refer to c.£1m as "small".

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jan 2024 14:35

I'd imagine it's a small fee for us as well, I can't see anything over seven figures for him. There may be a sell on clause on this though which would be ideal, but that's not based on anything other than hopeful speculation.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 23 Jan 2024 14:53

"Small fee" is likely to be just enough to cover our wages for this month.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Jan 2024 15:13

Orion1871 "Small fee" is likely to be just enough to cover our wages for this month.

The way it’s going our wage bill might be less than our electric bill come February.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2024 15:23

Bit comical the furore the word ‘small’ has kicked off from a translated news report. People on X slagging of Bowen for not implementing the years extension and getting a bigger fee ffs

We have no idea what the fee actually is. But of course it won’t be massive as he is an unproven defender at the bottom of L1 and we’re flogging off players to pay the tax bill

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Jan 2024 15:59

Whether we like it or not, and I don’t, the club are just doing whatever it takes to survive atm. If we have a fire sale this month and we receive bad news about the academy etc. it is what it is. If the club survives as a result of all the changes it’s job done. I wish it was different, but until we find a new owner there’ll be a continuation of bad news.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 23 Jan 2024 16:05

If there's a sell-on clause, would that purely be for the next transfer?

As it seems pretty obvious he'll be at Olympiakos, then a dirt cheap transfer to Forest - so does that sell on fee actually really matter here?!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2024 16:17

royalsroyalsroyals92 If there's a sell-on clause, would that purely be for the next transfer?

As it seems pretty obvious he'll be at Olympiakos, then a dirt cheap transfer to Forest - so does that sell on fee actually really matter here?!

Interesting thing from the Peterborough owner on a podcast yesterday discussing exactly this. Sell-on clauses can last for a number of transfers, not just the immediate one - obviously that all get negotiated in and it might be different levels for the subsequent transfers, etc...

For instance, we could have a sell-on clause added in for this Abbey transfer that his next move we get 15%, for example. But the move after that might be 5%, the move after that 2%, etc...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jan 2024 16:23

More likely that we have, say a 15% sell on so when Olympiakos sell him to Forest for £3m, we get £450k but they also insert a separate sell on of 10% so that when Forest sell him to PSG for £200m, Olympiakos get £20m and we get £3m of the sell on because we still get 15% of their profit from the sale. its not us inserting sell ons to future sales.

in the case of Ivan Toney, every transfer he's had, has had a sell on clause and every sale has been done at a profit to the selling club. For each club in the chain, its a payment triggered by the single clause in their original sale
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Jan 2024 16:33, edited 4 times in total.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Jan 2024 16:25

twitter nob heads in twitter meltdown shocker

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 23 Jan 2024 16:49

IF Dai is serious about selling the club, why would he (or Pang) bother to put in a sell on clause? It would be of no use to him, would it? Sell players on the cheap for just enough to keep the club ticking over and stuff the club is more likely to be in his thoughts.

548 posts