Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

548 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2024 15:21

Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal Always felt NGW was unfairly treated here and his performances warranted more faith.

He absolutely had flaws, bit weak in the challenge and not the strongest defensively, but really good going forward. Just constantly exposed by managerial tactics and poor players ahead of him.

All the best to him at Stevenage, but clearly right to move on with Dorsett and McIntyre fit and Carson to develop.

Was he really good going forward?

36 appearances, no goals and one assist.....

As a comparison, Dorsett has 13 appearances, 1 goal and 2 assists.

Honestly, NGW was weak defensively and despite looking decent going forward didn't actually deliver an end product. So much so that we now have a centre back playing at left back and doing a better job.

Good crosser, created a penalty or two. Quick and comfortable taking on his man.

Stats are useful, but not definitive.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Jan 2024 16:30

I do feel that a lot of the love for NGW is largely down to the fact he wasn't Baba Rahman who, given his profile, was bloody awful for us. I was never that impressed with him and suspect we signed him largely because Bowen knew him from Wimbledon and he was a cheap back up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2024 16:56

From Despair To Where? I do feel that a lot of the love for NGW is largely down to the fact he wasn't Baba Rahman who, given his profile, was bloody awful for us. I was never that impressed with him and suspect we signed him largely because Bowen knew him from Wimbledon and he was a cheap back up.

^^this.

Someone who gets better the longer they're out of the team.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2024 16:58

From Despair To Where? I do feel that a lot of the love for NGW is largely down to the fact he wasn't Baba Rahman who, given his profile, was bloody awful for us. I was never that impressed with him and suspect we signed him largely because Bowen knew him from Wimbledon and he was a cheap back up.

Yep. The longer he went without playing, the better he got. Then every so often he'd get a game and we'd be reminded why he wasn't playing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2024 17:42

I always remember it being a case of 'he's been playing ok, why was he dropped?'

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jan 2024 17:51

royalsroyalsroyals92 If there's a sell-on clause, would that purely be for the next transfer?

As it seems pretty obvious he'll be at Olympiakos, then a dirt cheap transfer to Forest - so does that sell on fee actually really matter here?!

As discussed, there are FIFA regulations regarding international transfers that will guarantee us "training compensation" every time he moves internationally at a decent standard, which is a fixed fee that can't be got around. There's also solidarity payments due which are a tiny % of the transfer fee.

FDTW is right that we might, potentially, be able to get a % of a % of his sale away from Forest if both transfers had a sell-on clause inserted. Think we got something out of Long's transfer from Hull to Southampton for example.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jan 2024 18:16

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal Always felt NGW was unfairly treated here and his performances warranted more faith.

He absolutely had flaws, bit weak in the challenge and not the strongest defensively, but really good going forward. Just constantly exposed by managerial tactics and poor players ahead of him.

All the best to him at Stevenage, but clearly right to move on with Dorsett and McIntyre fit and Carson to develop.

Was he really good going forward?

36 appearances, no goals and one assist.....

As a comparison, Dorsett has 13 appearances, 1 goal and 2 assists.

Honestly, NGW was weak defensively and despite looking decent going forward didn't actually deliver an end product. So much so that we now have a centre back playing at left back and doing a better job.

Good crosser, created a penalty or two. Quick and comfortable taking on his man.

Stats are useful, but not definitive.

No end product. That is the crucial thing here. And he couldn't defend.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 24 Jan 2024 18:28

Oh NgW is oxf*rd shit. Worst lb we’ve had in years, him and Rahman worst since bodin

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 18:50

Brogue Oh NgW is oxf*rd shit. Worst lb we’ve had in years, him and Rahman worst since bodin

Rahman annoyed me more. NGW was a cheap punt who didn't come with much expectation but Rahman had real pedigree. I thought I was watching his twin play for Ghana in the world cup; it was night and day from his league performances.

But our own academy centre back is better than booked. No concerns over letting him go for me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jan 2024 18:54

WestYorksRoyal
Brogue Oh NgW is oxf*rd shit. Worst lb we’ve had in years, him and Rahman worst since bodin

Rahman annoyed me more. NGW was a cheap punt who didn't come with much expectation but Rahman had real pedigree. I thought I was watching his twin play for Ghana in the world cup; it was night and day from his league performances.

But our own academy centre back is better than booked. No concerns over letting him go for me.

NGW is just a left winger played out of position.

Mola is a just plumber played out of career.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Jan 2024 19:10

Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal

NGW is just a left winger played out of position.

Mola is a just plumber played out of career.

Mola looks good on the bench. Whether or not to select him must give Selles a toothache at times.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2024 21:05

Snowflake Royal I always remember it being a case of 'he's been playing ok, why was he dropped?'

Maybe you should stop playing so much BG3 with your friends and start watching the games.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 25 Jan 2024 02:14

Elm Park Kid Another defender outgoing likely to be confrim today or tomorrow.

Edit - ok, confrimed quicker than I was expecting :D

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2024/j ... nage-loan/

A little left field (going to Stevenage). I wonder how much of his wages they're paying.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2024 07:34

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal I always remember it being a case of 'he's been playing ok, why was he dropped?'

Maybe you should stop playing so much BG3 with your friends and start watching the games.

Ooo, bitch.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2024 10:03

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I'd imagine it's a small fee for us as well, I can't see anything over seven figures for him. There may be a sell on clause on this though which would be ideal, but that's not based on anything other than hopeful speculation.

I'm assuming you mean over £1m, but over seven figures reads like at least £10m. :lol:

Well yes, obviously I mean £1m or over. Not sure how it reads like at least £10m when that would be an 8 figure fee...

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2024 10:06

Agree. Not concerned about letting NGW go, don't think he was that good a player at anything really but yes, seemed like he was signed as a cheap squad option who could improve but never did, albeit his opportunities have been limited this season.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Jan 2024 10:18

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I'd imagine it's a small fee for us as well, I can't see anything over seven figures for him. There may be a sell on clause on this though which would be ideal, but that's not based on anything other than hopeful speculation.

I'm assuming you mean over £1m, but over seven figures reads like at least £10m. :lol:

Well yes, obviously I mean £1m or over. Not sure how it reads like at least £10m when that would be an 8 figure fee...

£9,999,999 is still a seven-figure sum. A sum of more than seven figures would be £10,000,000 or more.

But we all knew what you meant.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jan 2024 12:42

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman

Ooo, bitch.

:wink: x

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2024 15:58

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Maybe you should stop playing so much BG3 with your friends and start watching the games.

Ooo, bitch.

:wink: x

Have to say you're the first person to suggest anyone should actually watch our games in quite a while!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2024 17:20

Nelson confrimed gone

Anyone any idea of the fee?

548 posts