Berks and Bucks Senior cup 2023/24

165 posts
RFCMod

Re: Berks and Bucks Senior cup 2023/24

by RFCMod » 16 May 2024 12:47

Along with their 16 as well who looked like he was ready to implode for most of the game

Good to see a few of you in the Welly beforehand

andrew1957 That was an entertaining evening. The Reading lads dominated the first half. Marlow came back in the second half but we saw it out. I agree with the post above that Ryan looked very good - but most of the team had a good night.

The evening was also hilarious as I was standing near the Marlow coaching staff and Mark Bartley of Marlow was the most annimated coach I have ever seen. At every tackle he was demanding yellow and red cards and accusing the officials of bias. He was constantly in the face of the fourth official and then started to face off with us Reading fans who were by then mocking him, telling us we knew nothing about football. Poor bloke won’t live long with stress if he is always like that, but he did do it in a funny way - although I am genuinely not sure if he was trying to be funny. Anyway it was most entertaining. Noel Hunt also completely lost it at one point too.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 16 May 2024 13:54

Royals and Racers
Clyde1998
Royals and Racers They were probably managing John Clarke rather than an injury. My MOM was John Ryan.

Ryan had a good game - looked a threat going forward, great close ball control, as well as dealing with everything defensively. I can see why he was on the bench with the first team at the end of the season.

The Tilehurst End report excellent as always ( despite 1 error Marlow did not win it last season Bracknell did) mentioned a rule that i wasn’t aware of which is players can not play in the final if they haven’t played in a previous round of the comp.

I assumed it was a rule regarding number of professional matches played - which would explain why it appears CBC, Carson and Wareham were ineligible last night (albeit Tuma has played more first team matches than CBC for us). I seem to recall someone got expelled from the competition a few years back for playing someone who'd played in too may professional matches although it may be me misremembering.

Does make sense to have a rule ensuring only players who've played in earlier rounds can play in the final - they're the ones who've earned the right to be there.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 May 2024 14:17

Clyde1998
Royals and Racers
Clyde1998 Ryan had a good game - looked a threat going forward, great close ball control, as well as dealing with everything defensively. I can see why he was on the bench with the first team at the end of the season.

The Tilehurst End report excellent as always ( despite 1 error Marlow did not win it last season Bracknell did) mentioned a rule that i wasn’t aware of which is players can not play in the final if they haven’t played in a previous round of the comp.

I assumed it was a rule regarding number of professional matches played - which would explain why it appears CBC, Carson and Wareham were ineligible last night (albeit Tuma has played more first team matches than CBC for us). I seem to recall someone got expelled from the competition a few years back for playing someone who'd played in too may professional matches although it may be me misremembering.

Does make sense to have a rule ensuring only players who've played in earlier rounds can play in the final - they're the ones who've earned the right to be there.

I cannot find such a rule in the B & B cup rules- the clubs do have to notify the other team and the B & B of the squad the team will be selected from 7 days prior to the final but that’s it as far as i can see.

The Cube

by The Cube » 16 May 2024 18:30

The Berks and Bucks Senior Cup is for first teams, so obviously there is no rule excluding people who have played any number of professional games.

Reading enter a youth team but that is merely a club choice.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 16 May 2024 19:24

The Cube The Berks and Bucks Senior Cup is for first teams, so obviously there is no rule excluding people who have played any number of professional games.

Reading enter a youth team but that is merely a club choice.

Found what it was: https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... c-under-23

Marlow were disqualified in 2019 for fielding two players who'd played in other county cup competitions that season (Reading had one too, with a player who'd gone out on loan but weren't disqualified).

Marlow alleged Slough, Milton Keynes and ourselves had fielded ineligible players in the competition due to having senior contracts at an EFL side (Slough had a player on loan from Peterborough; Milton Keynes and ourselves obviously had players on senior contracts in our U21 squad). It's possible the rule existed at the time (no side was expelled because of it though), but was removed due to the dispute.

I guess it's that latter point that I'm remembering.

165 posts