A message from BBC Radio Berkshire

301 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Jul 2006 21:21

thefruits it wouldn't surprise me if the club decided to ban supporters who disagree with the almighty power of Nigel Howe

Oh come on now - I agree with your campaign in principal and fair play to you for what you have done so far but that is surely a bit far fetched, no? :?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Jul 2006 21:23

thefruits Actually it cannot be heard outside the IDR ! This is not going to change

I get a terrible 107 reception in Earley. Which is nice.

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 21:26

floyd__streete
thefruits it wouldn't surprise me if the club decided to ban supporters who disagree with the almighty power of Nigel Howe

Oh come on now - I agree with your campaign in principal and fair play to you for what you have done so far but that is surely a bit far fetched, no? :?

Whats the bet if someone tried to take a banner saying 'No to Reading 107.. Bring back BBCRB' their banner would be confiscated and they would be ejected.

At least the Villa fans who had the banner that said 'We don't like you O'Leary' were able to unfurl their banner. Do you seriously think that the club would accept any sort of criticism. Unlikely.

As for the Wokingham place.. fair point.. pushing the boundaries a bit there. Never even been there myself ! Is it nice ? :lol:

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 22 Jul 2006 21:34

Here's what i wrote.

To whom it may concern.

I am writing to share my disgust as the powers of Radio for Readings new season goes to Reading107. How the club made that decision is beyond me, and i think this is absolutely ludacris. I have been a loyal supporter of the Royals for 15 years home and away, and Radio Berks has always been what i have listened to whether i am in traffic after a game, or being the commentary of a game i have been unable to go to. I do not wish for you to feel like i am focusing my anger towards you as i am not. The above statement leads me on to something i want to share with you. The following link contains a petion which contains a petition which many Reading fans have signed, showing their disgust for the permanent switch to Reading107. It is in my opinion that Reading 107 is a poxy station that nobody wants to listen to and is one that people outside of the immediate Central Reading area will be unable to listen to if they want to listen to games.

I hope you can use this information in your newspaper, as it is a view that many Reading fans share, and i can almost certainatly guarentee, i am not the only Reading fan that has e-mailed your organisation over this matter. All i can ask is for you to include information about this petition in your newspaper, so many more disgrunteled listeners can voice their opinion on this matter. Here is the link.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... BBCBERKS&1

Many kind regards

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 21:39

One small thing that I've probably overlooked.. Sorry guys...

Reading 107 routinely advertise in the Evening Post... the EP even gives them a half decent slice of the radio schedule section.

I'm a little concerned that Hilary might not be allowed to give this story the feature it needs

Anyone have a contact for the Chronicle ?

By Wednesday we might be over 5000 signatures. I'm hoping that the BBC Berkshire crew are going to support this campaign on Monday morning and then we should see some serious traffic on the petition board.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 22 Jul 2006 21:40

Surely the local paper concentrates on what it's readers want, not what might piss off their sponsors?

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 21:42

We can always send our emails to the main man..

Surely this is his email ?

john.madejski@readingfc.co.uk

I think he should be made aware of the feelings of the fans and that the petition is quickly gathering signatures and not exactly glowing comments!

Legend

by Legend » 22 Jul 2006 21:45

thefruits We can always send our emails to the main man..

Surely this is his email ?

john.madejski@readingfc.co.uk

I think he should be made aware of the feelings of the fans and that the petition is quickly gathering signatures and not exactly glowing comments!

jmadejski@readingfc.co.uk actually :wink:

It's always firstinitialsurname@readingfc.co.uk

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 21:53

thanks for that...

email sent to JM

Polite and to the point. I doubt whether I'll get a response but hey ho. I won't post it here out of courtesy but will post if I get a reply.

Who's going to carry the baton forward from here ? I'm bloody knackered and its Saturday night. 3 emails sent... Joel / EP and JM.

At least the petition is nearly up to 350 signatures.

Keep it up everyone. TF

topfuller

by topfuller » 23 Jul 2006 00:22

Not that anyone should :) but there's zero validation on details added to the petition, so long as you add 'something@something.com' it will be added..

So if you have a spare 20 minutes.. that would bump it up a bit..

But I fear for the worst.. 107 is shit, everyone knows its shit, but being owned by a business man like Mr Mad, he's doing good business... he's forcing us to use his service.

I can imaging the conversation.. Mid season last year.. Round-table lunch... Local BBC director of Radio and Mr Mad..

Mr Mad: “So what are you going to do next season when were in the prem”

Local BBC director of Radio: Well we will be there ... We love RFC. !!

Mr Mad: Ha Ha I know.. we love you too .. I was thinking of offering you the rights for 100,000 per season. (snigger)

Local BBC director of Radio: Really... God! I don't think we could pay much above 68,000 – that seems to be the average from what I have heard...

Mr Mad: I'm joking it will be well below that.. (sucker!)

107 general manager: the shits hitting the fan boss .. our audience figures are shit, we really need a captive audience, at least that way we can get some decent advertising monies..

Mr Mad: Really I've just had an idea...............

You don't make over 300 Million bucks for nothing !!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2006 01:42

I think you're probably close to the truth there Topfuller. Cynical speculation here but how can Madejski recoup some of the money he's sunk into the lame duck that is Readng 107? Simple grant exclusive rights for an arm of his empire where demand will outstrip supply. Charge premium advertising rates on match days safe in the knowledge that a) with us being Premier League, you can get larger national companies advertising and b) income is guaranteed whether anyone is listening or not. Then pull the plug at the end of the season when you've recouped your investment.

Fubar
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Fubar » 23 Jul 2006 04:20

This email has been sent to "The Sun".

"Royals football fans are staging a revolt against the clubs decision to grant exclusive broadcasting rights to their own stadium based radio station, 107 FM. This has been previously held by BBC Radio Berkshire who by now have achieved quite an affinity with both the fans and players and indeed some club staff members. It is reported that the clubs valuation of these rights, have upon attaining Premiership status, been increased threefold. The BBC say that they cannot match this. The following link will give some idea of the feeling and mood of Royals supporters.

http://www.royals.org/ Thread " A Message from Radio Berkshire"

Regards,"

Every little helps! :lol:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Jul 2006 09:09

A bloody disgrace , the club has sold out to deny loyal royals literally all over the world live commentary come the biggest season in the clubs histroy .The club should be ashamed of itself .

With the BBC you get real passion and they've been there through thick and thin like all us fans .

Come back soon Joel and Tim and the rest of the crew .

This has so angered me , I've been away and just found out and can't believe it , Howe out !!!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Jul 2006 09:36

From Despair To Where? I think you're probably close to the truth there Topfuller. Cynical speculation here but how can Madejski recoup some of the money he's sunk into the lame duck that is Readng 107? Simple grant exclusive rights for an arm of his empire where demand will outstrip supply. Charge premium advertising rates on match days safe in the knowledge that a) with us being Premier League, you can get larger national companies advertising and b) income is guaranteed whether anyone is listening or not. Then pull the plug at the end of the season when you've recouped your investment.

But that plan is significantly flawed. Companies will not pay money to advertise if they realise sod all people are listening! Likewise, they will be reluctant to become associated with an organisation that is disliked by their customer base.

Maybe it's time to let the advertisers on 107 know what we think too!

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 23 Jul 2006 09:42

RoyalBlue Maybe it's time to let the advertisers on 107 know what we think too!

that is a really good idea.

It's rather helpful of R107 to list them all on 1 page :

http://www.reading107fm.com/page.pl?id=23

Hflippers

by Hflippers » 23 Jul 2006 09:53

radio berkshire made our journey down from brum every 2 weeks or so much easier...we would pick it up halfway down A34 and then send shivers down our spine when they would replay goals from previous week as we approached madstad...and then of course postmatch entertainment when stuck in carpark. Hopefully at least this part wont change (not meaning carpark of course!)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Jul 2006 10:13

Apparently 107 is not Mr Madejski's radio station. it's ours:

"E-Mail the Boss

If you have a comment or suggestion about Reading 107 FM (it is YOUR radio station after all!) then why not drop the boss a line using the form below ... he's a very nice chap and would love to hear from you!

Whether it be comments on our music, ideas for competitions or questions about Reading 107 FM that you've always wanted to ask, then now's your chance! Go for it! "

http://www.reading107fm.com/page.pl?id=7

mattyougg

by mattyougg » 23 Jul 2006 11:44

Has anybody got in contact with the reading chronicle

http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/chronicle/

or email

news@readingchronicle.co.uk

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 23 Jul 2006 11:45

mattyougg Has anybody got in contact with the reading chronicle

http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/chronicle/

or email

news@readingchronicle.co.uk

they advertise on R107, so not likely to be unbiased.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2006 14:50

RoyalBlue
From Despair To Where? I think you're probably close to the truth there Topfuller. Cynical speculation here but how can Madejski recoup some of the money he's sunk into the lame duck that is Readng 107? Simple grant exclusive rights for an arm of his empire where demand will outstrip supply. Charge premium advertising rates on match days safe in the knowledge that a) with us being Premier League, you can get larger national companies advertising and b) income is guaranteed whether anyone is listening or not. Then pull the plug at the end of the season when you've recouped your investment.

But that plan is significantly flawed. Companies will not pay money to advertise if they realise sod all people are listening! Likewise, they will be reluctant to become associated with an organisation that is disliked by their customer base.

Maybe it's time to let the advertisers on 107 know what we think too!

But if this is indeed the scenario, the decision was make before it was apparent everyone was anti. Yes, it's flawed in hindsight and simple market research would have told them that, but this is good old incompetent Reading FC we're talking about.

And to add once again, my beef is not with 107, they're shit tinpot local commercial radio and you shouldn't expect anything else from them, it is with the club which have made a reckless and potentially damaging decision to exclude what is by far and away, the best and most popular option in the chase for a few extra quid.

301 posts