oster??

mahoj002

oster??

by mahoj002 » 01 Aug 2006 00:02

when i was watching the reading vs swidon game i thought that oster was good at getting the balls into the box but they seemed to go nowhere. i just dont see the point in having him in the squad for next season because now that seol is in the squad hes got no chance. so were just waisting wages on a player that we dont need. does anyone understand my point??

who goes there!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: oster??

by who goes there! » 01 Aug 2006 00:09

Getting good balls into the box, will lead to goals and he is also competition for Seol. Seol gets an injury then we have back up. Oster got a lot of slate last season from a lot of fans, and there where times where i could see their point, but its not as if hes over loading the wage bill. Get another player in better than him that can fill his role in the club then consider letting him go, but until then i'd rather have him then not have him with the players we have atm.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 01 Aug 2006 00:29

He can also play central midfield.

Our squad is already thin!

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 01 Aug 2006 00:33

who goes there! Getting good balls into the box, will lead to goals and he is also competition for Seol. Seol gets an injury then we have back up. Oster got a lot of slate last season from a lot of fans, and there where times where i could see their point, but its not as if hes over loading the wage bill. Get another player in better than him that can fill his role in the club then consider letting him go, but until then i'd rather have him then not have him with the players we have atm.

I totally agree. The slating he got last year was totally unjust... he played 100% for us and carried that on even when booed by our own fans.

If you look at last seasons goals you will see more of our goals came from Oster crosses (from his limited appearances) than did from either Blakey or Bobby crosses!!!

You are right, he isnt going to be first choice and nor will he set the premiership alight. But he has decent enough pace to beat a man and put in a cross. Yes, some of his crosses are crap, but he does deliver a decent cross a lot of the time which is sadly not seen by the blinkered 'boo boys'.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 01 Aug 2006 01:01

londinium I totally agree. The slating he got last year was totally unjust... he played 100% for us and carried that on even when booed by our own fans.

If you look at last seasons goals you will see more of our goals came from Oster crosses (from his limited appearances) than did from either Blakey or Bobby crosses!!!

You are right, he isnt going to be first choice and nor will he set the premiership alight. But he has decent enough pace to beat a man and put in a cross. Yes, some of his crosses are crap, but he does deliver a decent cross a lot of the time which is sadly not seen by the blinkered 'boo boys'.

Don't know about booing, I didn't hear that and wouldn't agree with it if it happened. However, I was critical of him last season because I thought he was light-weight and also disinterested in defending. Besides his effectiveness going forward, Blakey had to be first choice last year because he also gave much more efective support to Murts.

Not knocking Oster as a person, I just wasn't convinced last year that he cut it. I thought it was telling when, towards the season, he would be replaced in every game by Hunt; in that final 5-10 minute cameo, playing on the wrong side of the pitch, Hunt still often outshone Oster's efforts. I agree with giving him a new deal, because we'd be stupid to go into the season without sufficient cover. IIRC, he was re-signed before Seol's signing, when the need for cover would have been more imperative.

All of that said, although I haven't seen Seol play (I'm not driving down from Manchester for friendlies! 20 points? Oh go on then!...), I suspect that Seol will be more effective than Blakey or Oster this season.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 01 Aug 2006 08:32

Best one was against Swindon
When the plastic muppet next to me screamed "Convey that was pathetic" after Oster had whipped a cross into the box

Obviously after 8 pints I decided to stand up and him what I thought of his mistake
Something along the lines of "Why don't you f**k off home you plastic muppet and watch us on Sky next season"

I do love the looks on peoples faces when I give them my drunken tirades

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Aug 2006 08:40

There was a twat sat in front of me at Swindon who told his mate that if our midfield played like that they would get ripped apart by Liverpool, and that Sidwell wasn't impressing him at all.........

.......I frankly couldn't be bothered to point out that Sidwell was on the bench and that the player he was referring to was Simon Cox playing out of position.

:roll:

As for Oster, I think its odd that so many people are incapable of seeing what he brings to the team; he is always available for the outlet from either Marcus or Murtz, he plays the simple ball in an unflashy manner, yet delivers more crosses that beats the first man then Convey.

Look at the DVD from last season and see how often (when he is playing) that he is part of the build up to an eventual goal.

Its also odd that, with so many people wondering aloud at our lack of experience at Premiership level, one of the few who has any is regularly slated.

A good pro and an asset for the team, squad and club.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 01 Aug 2006 09:16

savage 4 england He can also play central midfield.

Our squad is already thin!

The squad is thin I admit, but I would of prefered it if Oster was released at the end of the season and then replaced with a better utility midfielder.

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 01 Aug 2006 09:23

Mr Angry There was a twat sat in front of me at Swindon who told his mate that if our midfield played like that they would get ripped apart by Liverpool, and that Sidwell wasn't impressing him at all.........

.......I frankly couldn't be bothered to point out that Sidwell was on the bench and that the player he was referring to was Simon Cox playing out of position.

:roll:

As for Oster, I think its odd that so many people are incapable of seeing what he brings to the team; he is always available for the outlet from either Marcus or Murtz, he plays the simple ball in an unflashy manner, yet delivers more crosses that beats the first man then Convey.

Look at the DVD from last season and see how often (when he is playing) that he is part of the build up to an eventual goal.

Its also odd that, with so many people wondering aloud at our lack of experience at Premiership level, one of the few who has any is regularly slated.

When Mr Angry talks, people listen.....it's the law!

Spot on, totally agree! (There are a couple of people who sit near me in the NE corner who are always getting players wrong, it winds me up as I really don't see how hard it is to know the main squad)

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Location: Near the source of the UK's No 1 Natural Mineral Water

by Ollie Kearns is in Buxton » 01 Aug 2006 09:34

Trite tragik when people watching don't even know who's playing.

Me??? Personally can't wait for our ginger wonder striker to get fully fit - c'mon Ollie, he'll show those prem 'big gunz' what itz all abt.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 01 Aug 2006 09:53

savage 4 england Our squad is already thin!
Perhaps some of the players are training to be cat walk models?

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 01 Aug 2006 10:05

rabidbee
londinium I totally agree. The slating he got last year was totally unjust... he played 100% for us and carried that on even when booed by our own fans.

Don't know about booing, I didn't hear that and wouldn't agree with it if it happened. However, I was critical of him last season because I thought he was light-weight and also disinterested in defending.

I suppose you could call him lightweight since he is not as big as many and slightly built, but that is not always a disadvantage for somebody who is quick on their feet.

I think he is under-rated by many of our fans, and I would disagree with you about his being disinterested in defending. At least once he saved a certain goal by kicking the ball off the line and he was often back defending, although he is not of the stature to be able to jump to defend in the air.

I was away and unable to get to any of the friendlies except Didcot, but I thought he played well there.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Aug 2006 10:07

mahoj002 ...oster was good at getting the balls into the box but they seemed to go nowhere.

What exactly does this mean? Do you think he's a good crosser or just whacks it in there willy nilly!

who goes there! Getting good balls into the box, will lead to goals and he is also competition for Seol. Seol gets an injury then we have back up.

Have you forgotten about perhaps our best player last season, a certain Mr Little. Oster will be our thrid choice right winger next season.

londinium If you look at last seasons goals you will see more of our goals came from Oster crosses (from his limited appearances) than did from either Blakey or Bobby crosses!!!

Are you mad? Little was our most creative player by a mile last season.

Oster was a decent squad player and the pressure he put on Little may have been key to his excellent performances, however, Oster offered very little protection to Murty when he played and was often guilty of giving possession away to cheaply with an attempted flick or just by being lightweight.

Mr Angry Its also odd that, with so many people wondering aloud at our lack of experience at Premiership level, one of the few who has any is regularly slated.

True, even if his previous Premiership experience isn't that positive, at least he knows what to expect and that can only help the squad. I think he's worth his one year extension, although I don't expect him to get that much of a look in for Premiership games.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Aug 2006 10:36

londinium
who goes there! Getting good balls into the box, will lead to goals and he is also competition for Seol. Seol gets an injury then we have back up. Oster got a lot of slate last season from a lot of fans, and there where times where i could see their point, but its not as if hes over loading the wage bill. Get another player in better than him that can fill his role in the club then consider letting him go, but until then i'd rather have him then not have him with the players we have atm.

I totally agree. The slating he got last year was totally unjust... he played 100% for us and carried that on even when booed by our own fans.

LOL - Are you out of your tree? No way is that true but I think (IMHO) Oster is very much a confidence player, when he's playing well, getting regular football and the fans get of his back hes a decent player problem with him is that if he is having an off game or he hasn't played much and the fans get on his back a bit his confidence drops alot and inturn so does his football.

Chicken Balti Pie
Location: Sleep pattern fcuked by watchin the English batsmen struggle....

by Chicken Balti Pie » 01 Aug 2006 10:38

Here we go again another negative rambling........... :roll:

If we had a big squad then yes question it but we don't.

We need 2-3 players in every position plus he has played in the premiership before.

Simple rules of Coppell - If he does not improve the squad don't buy him and if selling would depleet the squad then don't sell him.

:wink:

OLA Royal

by OLA Royal » 01 Aug 2006 11:03

The trouble for Oster last season was the form of Little. The majority of times Little got the ball he had the fans ready to see some more magic and end product. When he got injured we were all used to it and because Oster did not provide the same straight away, people were critical. Also people seemed to believe the hype about him being a disruptive player in the dressing room etc.
I thought he did a steady job when he played and seemed to get better as he played more games. I think he will do a good job this season, when called upon.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Aug 2006 11:03

Coppell could have released him, but decided to give him another contract instead. If he He has now worked with Oster for a year, and if Coppell thinks he can contribute at this level, then thats good enough for me. If Coppell didn't think that, then he could simply have released him as he was out of contract.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 01 Aug 2006 12:11

Big Ern Coppell could have released him, but decided to give him another contract instead. If he He has now worked with Oster for a year, and if Coppell thinks he can contribute at this level, then thats good enough for me. If Coppell didn't think that, then he could simply have released him as he was out of contract.

Fair point Ern, lets face it we have more problem areas in the squad than right wing to worry about.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 01 Aug 2006 12:31

Oster had a couple of great games last season, and a few just average games.

IMO he made some good crosses at swindon, but gave the ball away too easily

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Aug 2006 12:43

SouthDownsRoyal
londinium

LOL - Are you out of your tree?

Perhaps he's actually watched the DVD or just has smaller trees in his garden.

For a squad member who was very much on the perifery, Oster is notable on that DVD for the number of times he's involved in the build up to our goals......................one of Lita's against WBA, for instance..................which just happened to be one of the few games he started :?

I'm expecting Oster to stick it to his detractors (who are probably too pre-occupied with singing silly songs about Swindon to notice what he brings to the team) in the next campaign. I believe he is one of those who will prefer life in the Prem.