OIC I understand

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Celebrations ruined

by roadrunner » 14 Sep 2011 12:32

muddyfeet
roadrunner :|

OIC I understand

That was for the newbie, not you m'blonde bombshell.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 14 Sep 2011 12:41

No folks, Im not snowball, or a newbie; or any combination of the two.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 14 Sep 2011 12:43

Vic_Flange No folks, Im not snowball, or a newbie; or any combination of the two.

So what you're saying is you're an experienced pcunt? Well welcome back then!

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 14 Sep 2011 12:46

Vic_Flange
Terminal Boardom
The Team Board hits a new low :|

How very dare you.

I am 6ft 7.

lol

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Sep 2011 12:47

Vic_Flange
Terminal Boardom
The Team Board hits a new low :|

How very dare you.

I am 6ft 7.

You ARE Clive Goddard AICMFP :lol:

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 14 Sep 2011 12:49

Royal & Ancient Well thank you R.F.C. for ruining our week. Our Golden Wedding anniversary, superb meal out with loads of friends, big home party with even more and then we go on Saturday to one of the worst games that I can remember in all my 60 + years of supporting this Club. And certainly this is my last as I, as well as the Chairman, can no longer afford to support such dross. My shirt will now be used to clean the car and whether I use my S/T again is open to doubt.Angry - you bet I am.
And, I know that some of you will defend him, but if you get such a negative outlook from SJM (I refuse to recognise the 'gongs' ) then this spreads right through the whole Club and now the supporters! Just thank goodness we did not use the expensive hospitality suite.
So if they go down a Division and more in the future as they deserve then I won't be there.
Goodbye!!!!

And I thought the "sense of entitlement" was something only new fans were guilty of...

John Peel

by John Peel » 14 Sep 2011 14:46

brendywendy
Look, it's a well run club from a financial perspective yes, but it ultimately less ambition of getting into the premiership and establishing itself as a mid-to-lower prem team than your average league two club.

oxf*rd LOLable nonsense

Easy to make throw away comments, much harder to enter a debate on my full post. It's not like you BW. Fine, I accept that I exaggerate to make the point, but the point still stands - we don't have the ambition to become what I genuinely think we are capable of becoming - a low-to-middle prem club (like Stoke for example). It's simply a statement of fact. SJM says the same in his own inimitable fashion hence his constant advertising of the club to someone who wants to go for it. I'm not trying to take a cheap shot at the man as he has genuinely done a fantastic job. I just wish,as a Reading fan that they'd have more balls to go for it.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 14 Sep 2011 15:20

TBH, it's pretty ludicrous to come out with the glib, tired old statement that "we don't have ambition" - everyone in the club massively wants to be in the PL and there certainly is massive ambition to be back there. Why would anyone at the club not want to be there?

What is missing is a willingness to pursue that ambition at all costs - we won't get into a financial pissing competition with other clubs because we'll lose it. We simply can't compete financially with other clubs, so we're following a strategy which is more appropriate to a club of our size with our supporter-base and resources.

But it's definitely not a lack of "ambition", or less "ambition" than other clubs. It's a greater sense of realism than other clubs - although more and more other clubs are wising up to the financial realities. But at the same time others are still pissing into the wind.

And it does amuse me all the people getting angry at the club and those running it, because you're all getting angry at the wrong targets. Blame a lack of financial realism and governance in the game, blame a broken financial model in the game, blame a ludicrously uneven system of wealth distribution - blame these and all the other factors than mean that the whole financial structure of the game is tilted against clubs of our size and resources. It's slowly changing to meet the way Reading does things - but progress is slow.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Sep 2011 15:46

John Peel
brendywendy
Look, it's a well run club from a financial perspective yes, but it ultimately less ambition of getting into the premiership and establishing itself as a mid-to-lower prem team than your average league two club.

oxf*rd LOLable nonsense

Easy to make throw away comments, much harder to enter a debate on my full post. It's not like you BW. Fine, I accept that I exaggerate to make the point, but the point still stands - we don't have the ambition to become what I genuinely think we are capable of becoming - a low-to-middle prem club (like Stoke for example). It's simply a statement of fact. SJM says the same in his own inimitable fashion hence his constant advertising of the club to someone who wants to go for it. I'm not trying to take a cheap shot at the man as he has genuinely done a fantastic job. I just wish,as a Reading fan that they'd have more balls to go for it.

but the rest of your post wasnt entirely lolable, so i just picked the bit that was, due to the exaggeration you described.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Sep 2011 17:12

Great post Svlad.

John Peel

by John Peel » 14 Sep 2011 19:32

Fair dos Brendy!

Svlad, what you describe as 'realism' someone else could quite fairly attribute to lack of ambition. I'll rephrase that actually, lack of 'enough' ambition, because yes you're right we do have some ambition at least. Other clubs decided not to be scared off by the potential failure. Yes, some have cocked up royally by showing too much 'ambition' too quickly but others have succeeded. That's just the world of business for you. SJM isn't prepared to take the risk (fair enough, it's his money) but is desperate for someone else to take on that risk instead. Hence getting someone else in could potentially be a great thing for this club. I don't see many Man City fans complaining (yet!).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Sep 2011 21:18

Funnily enough I was talking to a Man City fan last night and he says he just can't take any pleasure from their current position as success built from a billionaire's input just doesn't give him any real satisfaction.

jazz

by jazz » 14 Sep 2011 21:51

Royal & Ancient Well thank you R.F.C. for ruining our week. Our Golden Wedding anniversary, superb meal out with loads of friends, big home party with even more and then we go on Saturday to one of the worst games that I can remember in all my 60 + years of supporting this Club. And certainly this is my last as I, as well as the Chairman, can no longer afford to support such dross. My shirt will now be used to clean the car and whether I use my S/T again is open to doubt.Angry - you bet I am.
And, I know that some of you will defend him, but if you get such a negative outlook from SJM (I refuse to recognise the 'gongs' ) then this spreads right through the whole Club and now the supporters! Just thank goodness we did not use the expensive hospitality suite.
So if they go down a Division and more in the future as they deserve then I won't be there.
Goodbye!!!!

Come on R&A! Remember Exeter, October '47? 4-0 and everyone still moaned. Plus ca change.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 15 Sep 2011 07:51

John Peel Fair dos Brendy!

Svlad, what you describe as 'realism' someone else could quite fairly attribute to lack of ambition. I'll rephrase that actually, lack of 'enough' ambition, because yes you're right we do have some ambition at least. Other clubs decided not to be scared off by the potential failure. Yes, some have cocked up royally by showing too much 'ambition' too quickly but others have succeeded. That's just the world of business for you. SJM isn't prepared to take the risk (fair enough, it's his money) but is desperate for someone else to take on that risk instead. Hence getting someone else in could potentially be a great thing for this club. I don't see many Man City fans complaining (yet!).

But all the ambition in the world isn't enough if you don't have the resources to back it up. I have ambition to be a multi-millionaire, but I'm not prepared to go to Vegas and put everything I won on 16 Red. Yes, it has worked for others, but for the majority it's cocked up royally - and the key points are that I know how likely it would be to succeed (not very) and what the consequencies would be (disastrous!).

And would you really want us to be like Man City? I can think of nothing worse. All the worst things about today's football - multiplied by a million. Or is success of the field the only, single thing that matters about supporting a football club?
Last edited by Svlad Cjelli on 15 Sep 2011 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Sep 2011 09:24

cant agree more with that. the last thing i want for my club if for some random business man to come in, pump a load of money in that he'll want to take back out with profit when he loses eventually interest.
perfectly happy to allow the club to develop in an organic manner, and get success based purely on gradual progress, good planning,spending what we bring in, and development of young players.
and for that i cant think of a better chairman than JM.

i understand that this may not fit with the majority of fans though

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Sep 2011 09:27

I suspect it does.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Sep 2011 10:25

brendywendy cant agree more with that. the last thing i want for my club if for some random business man to come in, pump a load of money in that he'll want to take back out with profit when he loses eventually interest.
perfectly happy to allow the club to develop in an organic manner, and get success based purely on gradual progress, good planning,spending what we bring in, and development of young players.
and for that i cant think of a better chairman than JM.

i understand that this may not fit with the majority of fans though

The majority of fans probably agree mate, just not the majority of entitled belmonts who rail against the world from behind a keyboard and don't even go to games

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Sep 2011 11:01

sometimes i just forget that they dont represent the majority of normal sensible fans. due to their constant and consistent whingeing

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Sep 2011 11:07

An empty vessel makes the most noise brendo

134 posts