5%
Only if a freebie or bargain presents itself
12%

Total votes: 228
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Do we really need another striker?

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jul 2013 23:33

Hunt and Roberts are both players you could argue should be good foils for someone like Le Fondre.

The fact he hasn't really held down a starting place, long term, even with players of that ilk available speaks volumes for the way he should probably be used.

In the Championship he had a spell of 10 starts before we got Roberts. After that I think McDermott started him once or twice.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jul 2013 13:54

Hoop Blah Hunt and Roberts are both players you could argue should be good foils for someone like Le Fondre.

The fact he hasn't really held down a starting place, long term, even with players of that ilk available speaks volumes for the way he should probably be used.

In the Championship he had a spell of 10 starts before we got Roberts. After that I think McDermott started him once or twice.

With church. In a side with zero creativity in the middle. Hunt got the nod to go with roberts as he was senior pro and more established at that level. The partnership flourished. Had alf been partnered with hunt rather than church it may well have been different. I've seen nothing to suggest that if alf had got the nod to partner roberts ahead of hunt that partnership wouldn't also have fourished.

Before anyone writes off alf's competence as a starter they should give him a chance to actually start in a team that doesn't have a huge creative problem in it.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 25 Jul 2013 14:02

Ian Royal He hasn't really had a complementary partner under decent circumstances. He played with an utterly ineffective Church in the Championship and a few games with Pog when we had a dire midfield in the PL.

Exactly. Le Fondre wouldn't be great in a 4-5-1, so I am hoping that we replace Pog and get a perfect strike partner for him. The problem is Adkins usually played a 4-5-1 at Southampton, which is why I think something along the lines of a 4-2-3-1 could be a good option.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Jul 2013 14:07

Ian Royal He played with an utterly ineffective Church in the Championship

To Church's credit he did get 7 that season. I didn't think it was that many!

Church > Afobe.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jul 2013 14:53

Ian Royal With church. In a side with zero creativity in the middle. Hunt got the nod to go with roberts as he was senior pro and more established at that level.

Or Le Fondre got dropped because he hadn't done enough to show he was quite good enough. Hunt may have been the senior player but he'd spent more time on the bench than Le Fondre before Roberts arrived and so I can't see his 'senior status' had anything to do with McDermotts dropping of Le Fondre.

Ian Royal The partnership flourished. Had alf been partnered with hunt rather than church it may well have been different. I've seen nothing to suggest that if alf had got the nod to partner roberts ahead of hunt that partnership wouldn't also have fourished.

Le Fondre and Hunt did play together quite a bit though (although not that many starts). McDermott obviously didn't fancy that partnership as much as the Church/Le Fondre though as he opted for that far more often and then once he had the chance he dropped the pair of them for Roberts & Hunt.

That's why I'm saying that Le Fondre has never forced his way into the starting eleven. He's a had a few runs in the side but it's always ended with him back on the bench. That's not just because of some pre-ordained seniority of forwards, it's because the managers have felt the other forwards offer a better option.

Ian Royal Before anyone writes off alf's competence as a starter they should give him a chance to actually start in a team that doesn't have a huge creative problem in it.

Personally I'm not writing him off but I just don't think his role in the squad is to start games and lead the line in the way we need a forward to do.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Jul 2013 16:12

RoyallyFcuked
Ian Royal He hasn't really had a complementary partner under decent circumstances. He played with an utterly ineffective Church in the Championship and a few games with Pog when we had a dire midfield in the PL.

Exactly. Le Fondre wouldn't be great in a 4-5-1, so I am hoping that we replace Pog and get a perfect strike partner for him. The problem is Adkins usually played a 4-5-1 at Southampton, which is why I think something along the lines of a 4-2-3-1 could be a good option.

He usually played 4-4-2. They started playing 4-5-1 (the 4-2-3-1 variant) after promotion to the Premier League.

The bigger problem is that we have loads of midfielders (10+Obita+Leigertwood), so playing 4-4-2 will limit the game time they get.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Jul 2013 16:18

I think the answer to the original question is that we will only get a new striker if Pog leaves. We are paying 50K a week and unless he goes we are simply not able to afford a replacement which is why I have ben ignoring all the mad speculation about Lambert, Hooper etc.

If Pog stays it is likely we will make do with ALF, Pog, Roberts and Blackman unless perhaps a cheap option becomes available that does not break the bank.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Jul 2013 16:21

Is havenaar a cheap option ?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Jul 2013 16:34

Barry the bird boggler Is havenaar a cheap option ?

Probably worth a couple of million.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Jul 2013 16:37

He might well be Pog's replacement (if we can sell him) but no signing is imminent according to Charles Watts. I rest my case.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 28 Jul 2013 11:39

Yes. Looks like we be using 4231 and 433. POG isn't mobile enough and likely to be on his way, Alfie we all agree can't play upfront on his own, likewise Blackman. Roberts is well off being match fit. A striker should be an absolute priority right now, to think otherwise is borderline delusional.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 28 Jul 2013 11:49

Its the gap between the midfield and strikers that should be more of a concern, Alf was isolated yesterday, as was Pog all of last season, we desperately need an attacking midfielder

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Jul 2013 11:56

Roberts was the key to the last chump season. We effectively won't have him now.
This season we have Pog (meh) but have lost Hunt.

It's an absolute no brainer that we need to splash good cash on a very good striker to replace Roberts therefore.

And quite important that we get an attacking midfielder, unless Akpan can fill that role.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 28 Jul 2013 14:34

andrew1957

He might well be Pog's replacement (if we can sell him) but no signing is imminent according to Charles Watts. I rest my case.

How imminent is imminent? Two hours? Two days? Two weeks?

On current form we desperately need someone - anyone! - to score a goal.

My natural optimism lifts its head, though, and says (deliberately vaguely!) that the problem of scoring goals will be solved soon.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jul 2013 14:54

LoyalRoyal22 Yes. Looks like we be using 4231 and 433. POG isn't mobile enough and likely to be on his way, Alfie we all agree can't play upfront on his own, likewise Blackman. Roberts is well off being match fit. A striker should be an absolute priority right now, to think otherwise is borderline delusional.

I don't think we all agree on anything, probably best not to assume everyone agrees with anything you think.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 28 Jul 2013 18:23

Ian Royal
LoyalRoyal22 Yes. Looks like we be using 4231 and 433. POG isn't mobile enough and likely to be on his way, Alfie we all agree can't play upfront on his own, likewise Blackman. Roberts is well off being match fit. A striker should be an absolute priority right now, to think otherwise is borderline delusional.

I don't think we all agree on anything, probably best not to assume everyone agrees with anything you think.

I am pretty sure most would agree Le Fondre cant play upfront on his own, including yourself.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jul 2013 18:34

LoyalRoyal22
Ian Royal

I am pretty sure most would agree Le Fondre cant play upfront on his own, including yourself.

Incorrect.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 28 Jul 2013 18:35

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 28 Jul 2013 19:52

Definitely! Pog may stay but only cos he's crud. We still need a new forward!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Looking over our shoulders......

by floyd__streete » 01 Aug 2013 09:45

I think most would agree we look lightweight up front. Roberts – injured, Pog – apparently disinterested, ALF – lightweight, Blackman – do me a favour. Taking a look at the BBC’s Championship Preview I note the following very decent strikers signed by our rivals:

Jermaine Beckford (Bolton)
Steve Morison (Millwall)
Grant Holt (Wigan)

I’d even take DJ Campbell (Blackburn) and maybe even Jon Stead (Huddersfield) over some of our options! Could we really not compete for decent Championship strikers like these? Yeah yeah, transfer window open until end of August but there are 5 fixtures before then and seeing as how we were effectively told that pre-season started in March I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed!

313 posts