Who would you like in charge next season?

122 posts

Who would you like to see manage the team in August?

Nigel Adkins
56%
Eamonn Dolan
16%
Steve Clarke
3%
Chris Hughton
2%
Malky Mackay
7%
Brian McDermott
10%
Paolo Di Canio
1%
Phil Parkinson
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 199
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who would you like in charge next season?

by melonhead » 20 Apr 2014 16:29

Rodgers would have had to spend at least one season getting out of the 1st division
And would have been off to a bigger club at the earliest opportunity as soon as he had any success

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Apr 2014 17:04

Sutekh
sandman And? A play off final and a Championship title since. Say he'd done really well at Reading would he still be here now? Of course not, the moment we came in for him he walked out on Watford and he walked out of Swansea after one half decent PL season. Loyalty clearly isn't one of Brendan Rodgers many buzzwords.

We don't know do we, nothing may have come of it and he could still be here. Or he could have got us promoted and settled into the PL playing like Soton or Swansea. I believe we'd have been better off playing wise over the last three seasons than we are now but then there are many who don't. Either way it was a stupid decision of the club to get rid of him and JMs biggest mistake manager wise.

No it wasn't, that was appointing Bullivant closely followed by leaving Burns to his own devices whilst he was selling his car magazine to Asia. Rodgers was awful here from the get go including his choice of staff around him to the way he treated the media to the way he treated the players. Not forgetting that he brought the club into disrepute at least twice. It was absolutely the right decision to get rid.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 20 Apr 2014 17:14

Not Adkins

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 20 Apr 2014 18:36

Dolan - he knows these youngsters coming through now like Brian McD did

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 22 Apr 2014 11:25

David Moyes?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 Apr 2014 11:28

Ownership and injuries have played a part.

But Adkins decisions have made things worse rather than helped matters and he has become part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 22 Apr 2014 14:36

Of the realistic options, I'd like to see Adkins remain in charge next season.

Those who feel a change is required should be careful what they wish for - A new manager with no funds to spend will have to be someone with a track record of these situations.

Big Tim

by Big Tim » 24 Apr 2014 02:15

Royal Biscuitman Of the realistic options, I'd like to see Adkins remain in charge next season.

Those who feel a change is required should be careful what they wish for - A new manager with no funds to spend will have to be someone with a track record of these situations.

The only common sense quote on the whole thread. THERE IS NO MONEY TO SPEND. That's the way it is now. Get used to it!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 24 Apr 2014 09:21

Big Tim
Royal Biscuitman Of the realistic options, I'd like to see Adkins remain in charge next season.

The only common sense quote on the whole thread. THERE IS NO MONEY TO SPEND. That's the way it is now. Get used to it!

Yep and the best manager we have had, who also had no money was.....McDermott!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Apr 2014 09:41

People are obsessed with McDermott, after a good January he had us in a great position to fight against relegation, he then proceeded to "strengthen" our squad with Kelly, Akpan and Blackman, all of whom can't regularly get into our current Championship team, Akpan would certainly have far less appearances had our entire central midfield not been butchered by injuries, Karacan, Guthrie and Williams are definitely all ahead of him, probably Obita too as a midfielder.

That combined with losing all the relegation 6 pointers from that point on sealed his fate, but yeah, let's keep remembering how great a manager McDermott was, my vote was for Adkins, in difficult circumstances, he's kept us with a chance of promotion via the play-offs, with his history of introducing youth, I'd have faith in him to rebuild a good side that would play the way he wants and to his credit he has seemed willing to adapt playing style to suit the team more which seemed to be Brendan's big mistake when he was with us, that he tried to make the team play the way he wanted rather than how they were comfortable.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2014 12:12

Royal Lady
Big Tim

Yep and the best manager we have had, who also had no money was.....McDermott!

The previous two year's wage bills show that view to be nonsense.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Apr 2014 12:41

:|

Depends what was in the contracts in terms of bonuses and the like.

I'd be very surprised if the basic wages were anywhere near as high as people like you suggest. Certainly the players we got promoted with weren't of the same quality as the likes of Sig and Long no matter what their wages were.

If that was the basic wage I'd certainly be questioning why those who negotiate the contracts were paying certain players such a high amount.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2014 14:24

sandman :|

Depends what was in the contracts in terms of bonuses and the like.

I'd be very surprised if the basic wages were anywhere near as high as people like you suggest. Certainly the players we got promoted with weren't of the same quality as the likes of Sig and Long no matter what their wages were.

If that was the basic wage I'd certainly be questioning why those who negotiate the contracts were paying certain players such a high amount.

LOL @ you if you think promotion bonuses made up a particularly significant proportion of a wage bill of £26m in the championship. Might account for a couple of mil or 4 but that is without doubt enormous spending at this level for a club without parachute payments.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Apr 2014 14:32

Adkins - not enough investment in the team. Yes some wages but we all know we didn't spend as much as we needed or Adkins was promised so our options were limited to freebies on big wages instead of better players with big wages. Absolutely shocking that after the humiliation of losing the no spend debate some ppl continue to flog a dead horse in an effort not to look as moronic as they have already proven to be :lol:

Can't blame Adkins therefore fully for this season, and he should be given more time.

He'll come good. He's not a bad manager.

The question is will he be bothered to stay the way things are?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 04 May 2014 05:19

Still think it should be NA...BUT...I completely disagree with him that the players should remember how awful they felt after the game as motivation for not wanting to lose in the future. After the disastrous season in the PL and now only winning 8 games at home all season I want the players to forget about all the losing and get back to winning. The quicker the past 2 seasons can be forgotten the quicker we can start to fix what is wrong. And if that means getting rid of some of those players to accomplish that sobeit. I think part of the reason why we were so maddeningly inconsistent this past season was because the player's competitive psyches were seriously damaged by that PL beat down they took. It was the fallout, the hangover, from that absolutely forgettable, and unfortunate, season.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 May 2014 06:23

Libertine Still think it should be NA...BUT...I completely disagree with him that the players should remember how awful they felt after the game as motivation for not wanting to lose in the future. After the disastrous season in the PL and now only winning 8 games at home all season I want the players to forget about all the losing and get back to winning. The quicker the past 2 seasons can be forgotten the quicker we can start to fix what is wrong. And if that means getting rid of some of those players to accomplish that sobeit. I think part of the reason why we were so maddeningly inconsistent this past season was because the player's competitive psyches were seriously damaged by that PL beat down they took. It was the fallout, the hangover, from that absolutely forgettable, and unfortunate, season.

Have to disagree with you I'm afraid. Back in 2005 Wigan beat us to win promotion to the PL and losing that game meant we missed out on the play offs. Wigan celebrated on the pitch and our players had to watch them celebrating it. The following season when we went up with a record points total, do you know what they said the biggest motivating factor was for them? The feeling they had watching Wigan celebrate going up as we missed out in the play offs.

It's the feeling from yesterday they should remember.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 May 2014 07:34

Sandy is spot on this time.

Same could be said for losing the play-off finals against Swansea and Walsall.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 May 2014 11:50

Avon Royal Sandy is spot on this time.

Same could be said for losing the play-off finals against Swansea and Walsall.

Yep. What happened when we had to watch Swansea celebrating at Wembley? We won the league the next year.

Take the power of the emotion, use it and do something about it.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 04 May 2014 11:56

Is Paulo di Canio still out of work?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 May 2014 12:00

Cureton's Volley Is Paulo di Canio still out of work?

Stop fishing, there's no need to be that much of a bell.

122 posts