Middlesbrough Disabled Supporters minibus "attacked&quo

187 posts
earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 23 Aug 2006 11:27

starliaison
earley_royals
alad LOL @ anyone who thinks the Madejski is intimidating.

Exactly what I was thinking. :lol:

As for the person who attacked this minibus it was probably some pissed up twat who was trying to act hard and show off.

If it happened...

It did happen and is being a pissed up twat a good enough reason to frighten other people?

Not at all.

Anyone who tried to intimidate them needs there head read.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Aug 2006 11:27

If I was a parent I would be more worried my child wants to travel 250+ miles in a minibus to watch Middlesbrough than any form of attack by soft Southern nancy boy Reading fans.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Aug 2006 11:31

So, basically, one person banged on a window.

Stupid, yes, but for this to be described as an "attack" in a newspaper really is a mountain out of a molehill and the fact that the chair of MDSA didn't want to comment to the newspaper would suggest that he realises he has exaggerated this out of all proportion and didn't want to have to either

a) admit he'd posted it in a fit of bitterness to demonise anything Reading after a long trip and a terrible result.

b) continue to exaggerate/lie but to a far wider audience.

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 23 Aug 2006 11:51

My son had to evacuate onto the pitch during the game at Shrewsbury when aged 6. Some yobs from the visiting team entered the home end, kicked off a fight deliberately and suddenly, crushing him and his father against the wall.

Over the years I have had bricks and coins thrown at me inside and outside grounds.

The most appalling football violence I personally witnessed in over 30 years was at Shrewsbury when Middlesborough "fans" ripped up terracing, destroyed the buffet and used the broken acrylic and concrete as weapons against anyone and everyone.

These are things that are premeditated and appalling.

Supporters in a minibus, who "give the finger and provoke" would get a response if they were doing it in town on a Saturday night, irrespective of any disability or not. By suggesting that "the usual sign language and banter between fans...can be expected" almost makes me feel as if people on the minibus were allowed to do this. They wouldn't have been if I had been in charge as a designated adult with a visiting supporters bus stopped with easy access to the home supporters of any club.

I am not condoning anyone "attacking" people in a bus with disabled people on board. However, being disabled does not allow carte blanche provokation with no comeback.
Last edited by ShrewsandRoyals on 23 Aug 2006 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2006 12:16

Schards#2 So, basically, one person banged on a window.

Stupid, yes, but for this to be described as an "attack" in a newspaper really is a mountain out of a molehill and the fact that the chair of MDSA didn't want to comment to the newspaper would suggest that he realises he has exaggerated this out of all proportion and didn't want to have to either

a) admit he'd posted it in a fit of bitterness to demonise anything Reading after a long trip and a terrible result.

I really find it hard to believe that you'd have the same attitude had it been our fans in the minibus.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 23 Aug 2006 12:17

The guy should be ashamed using disabled kids as an excuse to attack Reading fans. I can understand he was disappointed but that is no excuse! For the one idiot that banged on a window he should be man enough to apologise or otherwise fcuk off and support Swindon :evil:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Aug 2006 12:28

Platypuss

I really find it hard to believe that you'd have the same attitude had it been our fans in the minibus.

If STAR posted the same sort of stuff on an opposing side's website as a result of one fan banging on the side of a minibus, yes I would.

The fact that it is a minibus with some disabled children on it does make it even more unacceptable but would the plank who did this actually know there were some disabled children in amongst the gesticulating able bodied adults?

I'm not condoning it and think the guy's an idiot but the Middlesborough spokesman has hugely exagerrated it and his subsequent actions would suggest he knows this.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2006 12:50

Bear in mind though, that their board had been spammed by OAE's finest warning Boro that the Scorpions were going to get them after the game.

p.s any of you knuckle draggers looking to get the bus after the game will be in for a surprise, word down here is that 'The Scorpions' (our firm) are going to put on a good show for you, watch your backs mincers!

Now we know that's just a hilarious windup, but of course Boro didn't, so it might go some way to explaining their reaction.

The Cube

by The Cube » 23 Aug 2006 12:55

Schards#2
Platypuss

If STAR posted the same sort of stuff on an opposing side's website as a result of one fan banging on the side of a minibus, yes I would.

The fact that it is a minibus with some disabled children on it does make it even more unacceptable but would the plank who did this actually know there were some disabled children in amongst the gesticulating able bodied adults?

I'm not condoning it and think the guy's an idiot but the Middlesborough spokesman has hugely exagerrated it and his subsequent actions would suggest he knows this.

I'm 100% with Schards on this one (won't happen again, so take note). The content in the e-mail to STAR is massively toned down from the original story. At this stage, I consider it fair to assume that the reason he didn't speak to the press was because he realised he had overdone it in the first place and was concerned about being found out. He was additionally unlucky in his reference to the non-existent Scorpions.

Obviously, it would be even better if nothing at all had happened, and I'd be delighted if any perpetrator was caught and appropriately punished, but frankly this is beginning to look like the minor (or even null) incident that we all originally assumed.

working class hero

by working class hero » 23 Aug 2006 13:10

If I were stuck in traffic and some opposition fans starting banging on windows and being threatening I would view it as an attack. If they were doing it at my daughters I would feel justified in running my MPV over them severasl times....

IF kids are frightened then it is an attack. Very few RFC fans were actually hit at Wolves - but we all felt threatened [and many of our fans were giving out stick too].

Really we should just admit that this happened, that it was unacceptable and that in future we will not condone such idiots. Any defensiveness makes us no better than the Wolves apologists.

BTW - all those who were so dismissive ought to go out and get a humble pie for tea.....

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Aug 2006 13:14

working class hero If I were stuck in traffic and some opposition fans starting banging on windows and being threatening I would view it as an attack. If they were doing it at my daughters I would feel justified in running my MPV over them severasl times....

IF kids are frightened then it is an attack. Very few RFC fans were actually hit at Wolves - but we all felt threatened [and many of our fans were giving out stick too].

Really we should just admit that this happened, that it was unacceptable and that in future we will not condone such idiots. Any defensiveness makes us no better than the Wolves apologists.

BTW - all those who were so dismissive ought to go out and get a humble pie for tea.....

If you're so desperate to try out your new "Premier League" endorsed hair shirt, you crack on mate, don't let us stop you.

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 23 Aug 2006 13:14

I am in no doubt that it happened. I am in no doubt that people were rightly upset about it. I also think that it wasnt what could be seen as a major incident and because of all the talk about "The Scorpians" pre-match, the unfortunate Boro fans targetted saw it as a horrid attack by a firm rather than a few pricks getting over excited as their school holidays comes to an end.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Aug 2006 13:21

Follow the Moskva
Down to Gorky Park
Listening to the wind of change

An August summer night
Soldiers passing by
Listening to the wind of change

The world is closing in
Did you ever think
That we could be so close, like brothers

The future's in the air
I can feel it everywhere
Blowing with the wind of change

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
in the wind of change

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 23 Aug 2006 13:26

susieroyal I am in no doubt that it happened. I am in no doubt that people were rightly upset about it. I also think that it wasnt what could be seen as a major incident and because of all the talk about "The Scorpians" pre-match, the unfortunate Boro fans targetted saw it as a horrid attack by a firm rather than a few pricks getting over excited as their school holidays comes to an end.

Summed up excellently by Susie. A nasty incident yes, but let's not go too over the top about it.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Aug 2006 13:27

susieroyal I am in no doubt that it happened. I am in no doubt that people were rightly upset about it. I also think that it wasnt what could be seen as a major incident and because of all the talk about "The Scorpians" pre-match, the unfortunate Boro fans targetted saw it as a horrid attack by a firm rather than a few pricks getting over excited as their school holidays comes to an end.

TBH I think you'd go a long way to find a game with a crowd of 15,000+ anywhere in the country where an incident of this "magnitude" hasn't happened.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Aug 2006 13:33

Schards#2
working class hero If I were stuck in traffic and some opposition fans starting banging on windows and being threatening I would view it as an attack. If they were doing it at my daughters I would feel justified in running my MPV over them severasl times....

If you're so desperate to try out your new "Premier League" endorsed hair shirt, you crack on mate, don't let us stop you.

Nice response, like the attitude - you've even managed to infere a bit of 'I'm more Reading than you are' in there as well....

Reading fans involved in a threatening incident with a minibus with disabled children, doesn't look good really does it?

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 23 Aug 2006 13:34

Is this in the right Forum?

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 23 Aug 2006 13:36

Schards#2

TBH I think you'd go a long way to find a game with a crowd of 15,000+ anywhere in the country where an incident of this "magnitude" hasn't happened.

Agree 100%. I think it was only seen as an incident as they had already been warned that their fans would be targetted.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2006 13:38

susieroyal
Schards#2

Agree 100%. I think it was only seen as an incident as they had already been warned that their fans would be targetted.

Have to agree. If the chairman of MDSA hadn't been a reader of Rivals and seen the hilarious wind-up. I would wager they would not have thought twice about this as they drove home.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2006 13:48

I don't think anything further needs to be said.

187 posts