Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2022 10:10

Stranded
Snowflake Royal For me, I think our biggest mistake in overhauling the squad came before the season ended. We made a big error in signing on Dann.

That's seriously limited what we can do to overhaul central defence alongside being stuck with Moore.

I'm disappointed with our unseemly haste in the goalkeeping area and think we could have done better with patience.

And I think Long won't prove very useful.

But Fornah, Hendrick, Hutchinson and the other contract extensions all seem like good deals.

At least 1 LB is an absolute must. And if we can't shift Moore, we really must shift Puscas for a couple mil.

We need to see a good 40 odd appearances across the likes of Tetek, Camara, Dorsett, Leavy, Clarke, Melvin-Lambert et al too.

Dann signed so early - it was March - that it makes me think we had no choice i.e. there was a clause in his deal that said play X games then you get a 2nd year on the same terms. Was potentially allowed as he is on terms under the EFL limits.

Also highly likely that there was a little bit of panic setting in in March about what the summer could look like and signing Dann up again, gave us another body but yes I agree it was a mistake unless he suddenly can stay fit - would be a good bench option to bring on to try and hold out a 1 goal lead.

Long - we wait and see, I do think he may surprise a few the combination of his style of play and just being at Reading could bring the best out of him - think he'll assist more than score but hopeful.

Very happy with everything else and think Hutchinson could be a real steal a real upgrade on Morrisson that will make a 3 man defence work.

A LB or 2 are really missing but if NGW signs and BOO signs in a bit, then I'm happy there. Would probably then want 1 more CM and, if Puscas is on his way, another striker. Think we'll be as good as we can be at that point and the kids can fill in the gaps and hopefully take their chance - maybe one will break out and as under contract, we can flog them for a decent fee for a change to help with next years squad improvement.

There being a clause in Dann's contract is incompatible with our restriction to only agree one year contracts. He also made 14(1) appearances, with the last and 15th appearance being in april after he signed.

There's nothing to support your speculation other than as a hopeful excuse for poor decision making.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jul 2022 10:12

We don't seem to be looking abroad for players. Signings all seem to be from players already playing in the UK

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2022 10:32

Zip We don't seem to be looking abroad for players. Signings all seem to be from players already playing in the UK

I think it's generally pretty good business really as we are signing players who understand the league/English game, rather than signing players who we think may adapt to the league.

I've no issue with us signing players from abroad though, providing they can fit into the framework we are looking to create, BOO for example (although he does have experience in England).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jul 2022 10:41

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal For me, I think our biggest mistake in overhauling the squad came before the season ended. We made a big error in signing on Dann.

That's seriously limited what we can do to overhaul central defence alongside being stuck with Moore.

I'm disappointed with our unseemly haste in the goalkeeping area and think we could have done better with patience.

But Fornah, Hendrick, Hutchinson and the other contract extensions all seem like good deals.

At least 1 LB is an absolute must. And if we can't shift Moore, we really must shift Puscas for a couple mil.

We need to see a good 40 odd appearances across the likes of Tetek, Camara, Dorsett, Leavy, Clarke, Melvin-Lambert et al too.

Dann signed so early - it was March - that it makes me think we had no choice i.e. there was a clause in his deal that said play X games then you get a 2nd year on the same terms. Was potentially allowed as he is on terms under the EFL limits.

Also highly likely that there was a little bit of panic setting in in March about what the summer could look like and signing Dann up again, gave us another body but yes I agree it was a mistake unless he suddenly can stay fit - would be a good bench option to bring on to try and hold out a 1 goal lead.

Long - we wait and see, I do think he may surprise a few the combination of his style of play and just being at Reading could bring the best out of him - think he'll assist more than score but hopeful.

Very happy with everything else and think Hutchinson could be a real steal a real upgrade on Morrisson that will make a 3 man defence work.

A LB or 2 are really missing but if NGW signs and BOO signs in a bit, then I'm happy there. Would probably then want 1 more CM and, if Puscas is on his way, another striker. Think we'll be as good as we can be at that point and the kids can fill in the gaps and hopefully take their chance - maybe one will break out and as under contract, we can flog them for a decent fee for a change to help with next years squad improvement.

There being a clause in Dann's contract is incompatible with our restriction to only agree one year contracts. He also made 14(1) appearances, with the last and 15th appearance being in april after he signed.

There's nothing to support your speculation other than as a hopeful excuse for poor decision making.

I literally say it is highly likely it was a cock up in the very next paragraph but hey ho.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Jul 2022 10:59

Stupid question but who is BOO?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 Jul 2022 11:10

Royalwaster Stupid question but who is BOO?

Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill - triallist left back, currently injured, ex-Arsenal, been playing abroad until recently

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Jul 2022 11:44

morganb
Royalwaster Stupid question but who is BOO?

Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill - triallist left back, currently injured, ex-Arsenal, been playing abroad until recently

Thanks - was starting to think it was some kind of in-joke I was missing! :-)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jul 2022 12:27

Provided we play as a team and are bit more aggressive in games, the squad we have is more than capable of a midtable finish. I think we will be very up and down but much improved on last season. Still need a left back or two of course and I have no doubts we will get them before the window closes.

We also don't have a point deduction hanging around our necks which will be a help, we can start the season on a level playing field.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2022 12:29

Hutchinson confirmed

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jul 2022 12:43

Think he's gonna be another fan favourite.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jul 2022 12:48

Pepe the Horseman Think he's gonna be another fan favourite.

Yep agreed. Exactly what we needed. No nonsense, no frills and just does his job.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jul 2022 13:07

With the signing of Hutchinson that means 3 of the 4 goalscorers from the opening day 3-1 defeat to Weds in August 2019 play for us, Meite, Hutchinson and Joao. The 4th Kadeem Harris also trained with the club on trial.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2022 13:12

NathStPaul Provided we play as a team and are bit more aggressive in games, the squad we have is more than capable of a midtable finish. I think we will be very up and down but much improved on last season. Still need a left back or two of course and I have no doubts we will get them before the window closes.

We also don't have a point deduction hanging around our necks which will be a help, we can start the season on a level playing field.

I'm not as optimistic. We will only be 3 or 4 injuries away from a weakened team, and our record in recent years does not inspire confidence.

Prepare for a slog, but I think we have put together a squad with enough quality and character to get over the line.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 20 Jul 2022 13:53

Quite bold to give an almost 33 year old a 2 year deal isnt it? If we're going 3 at the back we could probably still do with another CB if Dorsett and the other U21s arent getting a look in

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2022 14:27

WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul Provided we play as a team and are bit more aggressive in games, the squad we have is more than capable of a midtable finish. I think we will be very up and down but much improved on last season. Still need a left back or two of course and I have no doubts we will get them before the window closes.

I'm not as optimistic. We will only be 3 or 4 injuries away from a weakened team, and our record in recent years does not inspire confidence.

Prepare for a slog, but I think we have put together a squad with enough quality and character to get over the line.

There are a lot of sides in this league though that are only 3 or 4 injuries away from being in trouble, you could potentially tag that comment to clubs that have finished in the top half and above really.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jul 2022 14:47

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Don’t think the agreement prevents us extending a contract of a player who was already signed before the agreement was in place.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2022 15:25

YorkshireRoyal99
WestYorksRoyal

There are a lot of sides in this league though that are only 3 or 4 injuries away from being in trouble, you could potentially tag that comment to clubs that have finished in the top half and above really.

Yes, but fcuk knows what our physios and sports scientists have been doing recently as every season seems to involve a perpetual injury crisis for us. So the concerns are valid. Hopefully Bowen has been looking into this too.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 20 Jul 2022 15:46

WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
WestYorksRoyal I'm not as optimistic. We will only be 3 or 4 injuries away from a weakened team, and our record in recent years does not inspire confidence.

Yes, but fcuk knows what our physios and sports scientists have been doing recently as every season seems to involve a perpetual injury crisis for us. So the concerns are valid. Hopefully Bowen has been looking into this too.

Has our head of sports science ever been given a job at a football club by anyone other than his dad?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2022 16:18

WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
WestYorksRoyal I'm not as optimistic. We will only be 3 or 4 injuries away from a weakened team, and our record in recent years does not inspire confidence.

We have had a pretty thin bare squad (like a lot of sides in the league) for a good few years now to be fair in a lot of positions and we have lacked the strength in depth for some time now, but point taken anyway as it has been pretty harsh on us in recent seasons.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2022 17:11

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Don’t think the agreement prevents us extending a contract of a player who was already signed before the agreement was in place.

Dann was signed originally in late August 21 under the agreement where we could only offer 1 year deals at up to £8.5k a week.

1554 posts