Back from the game - Brizzle City

128 posts
LJ

Re: Back from the game - Brizzle City

by LJ » 30 Sep 2011 00:36

pea I think this is the defence we need to be going forward with, but Pearce really isn't playing to his potential, which is a shame because he's proved he can do it in the past. The things I'm referring to are nothing to do with Gorkss or Cummings. Look at Pearce for the second goal on Tuesday, paying no attention to his man, completely out of position, and if he wasn't and the defence had kept its shape then it should have been an easy clearance. I've only seen a handful of games this season but Pearce hasn't been winning his individual battles and the team has suffered as a result (his complete inability to win a header against Kitson or Kanu at Portsmouth springs to mind).

Do agree that Pearce needs to up his game, but don't agree that he was at fault for the second goal. Cummings let the ball drop over his head, Pearce went over to try and stop the guy putting the cross in, Adomah did really well, squeezed it in, and if you look carefully, it is Gorkss who is flat footed, ball-watching, and shocked to see Pitman there all alone to tap into an empty net. Not Mills fault either, wasn't his man. The ball shouldn't have been allowed to be crossed in the first place, but Gorkss didn't track.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Sep 2011 07:09

Agree completely.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Sep 2011 07:11

pea
Man Friday Thanks for this, interesting. Who was it that failed to cover back adequately for their second goal? I would have expected our defender to have closed the striker down more, if not delivered a crunching tackle (albeit he was in the penalty area). If Mills, then this is a bit worrying as someone his age should be quicker than that. If Gorky, he's amassed too much credit to be criticised just over that. I suspect it's Mills. If so, then I must confess that I'm beginning to think he’s not the solution to our left-back problem.

It was Pearce, completely daydreaming until the last minute when Pitman was miles ahead of him. Really poor shape when the winger has progressed that far down the wing. Mills did his best to cover for it but he should never be getting pulled to the front post in the situation.

I thought Pearce was great last season but he's just not concentrating properly too often this season and I think we need to give another defender a try in his place or he needs to step up (and fast with the fixtures we have coming up)

I think you'll find it was Gorkks who was slow to track back. Pearce was the defender who moved across to help his right-back.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 30 Sep 2011 12:30

Apologies if that is the case, it looked like Pearce to me

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Sep 2011 13:25

Man Friday Pearce was the defender who moved across to help his right-back.

Which he should not have done so, Cummings should have been able to deal with it on his own. He failed to do so, leaving Pearce out of position and stranded. Pathetic goal to concede, Pearce and Cummings equally cluelessly culpable.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Sep 2011 14:45

Allyh84 How long did that Le Fondre chant go on!?! :lol:
It was still going at Templmeads Station with a police officer acting as a surrogate Adam Le Fondre and seeming to enjoy the attention.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Sep 2011 16:23

Sorry Floyd, but it's a centreback's job to come across and cover the full back in case they get beaten in that position. The problem was Pearce clearly decided the guy had run out of room and gave up on it.

Gorkss was the major culprit though, completely losing his man with Mills then stranded at the back post and unable to get to him in time. This is why if you watch again, you'll see Mills start shouting at Gorkss once it's gone in.

Generally weak, but Gorkss with the biggest fault.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Sep 2011 18:29

Agreed.

128 posts