How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
CayeneMatt

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by CayeneMatt » 23 Sep 2012 21:51

Because its not the Reading way. Its been said 1000 times before, but the Board are scared shitless of spending big on both fees and wages.

I don't disagree with you, but spending next to nothing over the summer was hardly a surprise.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 23 Sep 2012 22:09

royalexile I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once more able to avoid the drop, to ride out the storm of derision, and to outlive the menace of the bottom three, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of Madejski and Anton Zingarevich — even Mark Lawrenson wish his fish and wine . That is the will of the occasional ST holder and the day trippers. The club and the member of STAR, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, smashing the opposition over the head with clappers, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of the Premier League and many old and famous Clubs have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Championship and all the odious apparatus of rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight on the internet, we shall fight over land and seas, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our goalmouth, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight in the midfield, we shall fight on the touchline, we shall fight on the field and in the parking lot, we shall fight at the burger stands; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this support or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the Berkshire boarders, and guarded by the West Stand , would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the Premiership, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the lowly RFC.

amen

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 23 Sep 2012 22:53

If those people questioning the credibility of "The Board" on here, are being serious about doubting the brains who have masterminded the most successful period in the history of Reading FC, then I would question where they get their sense of reality from.

The answer is that BMcD will be the manager of this club for the whole of this season, and probably next - regardless of which division we are in. Anything else, would leave me losing faith in the way this club is run.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Sep 2012 23:07

Spend Spend Spend

Like QPR

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Sep 2012 23:48

Caskeys Lovechild If those people questioning the credibility of "The Board" on here, are being serious about doubting the brains who have masterminded the most successful period in the history of Reading FC, then I would question where they get their sense of reality from.

The answer is that BMcD will be the manager of this club for the whole of this season, and probably next - regardless of which division we are in. Anything else, would leave me losing faith in the way this club is run.

It's difficult to support this reasoning though without knowing the thinking that went into pre-season. If Brian genuinely thought this squad will be strong enough to avoid the drop and it turns out not to be....well then that is a big failure on his part.

Ultimately this is just about the biggest season in RFC's long history. The financial rewards of a place in next season's PL are so unbelievably great, that relegation this season will be nothing other than failure.

Still have the utmost faith in his ability to turn this round, but if we get relegated by a decent margin then I would imagine Brian will be held responsible.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 24 Sep 2012 06:12

Snowball Spend Spend Spend

Like QPR

Nobody serious is saying we should be spending like drunken sailors. What was needed was 2-3 more players of Premier League calibre ability, like a Danny Guthrie calibre of player for example. And there were some on the teams which got relegated from the Premier League and other top tier leagues across Europe we could have brought in...who wouldn't have been that expensive.

But what everybody needs to do, from mangement down to the fans, is to do what they are doing better. I included the fans not because I believe our support deserves criticism, because it has been good imo, but from the point of view that what the team needs now is even more support The last thing needed right now, not that I am sure it would happen anyhoo but over my years I have learned anything can happen, is for the fans to turn. I have faith in Brian as the leader of this team to get the most out of them possible. I have confidence that this team is much better than it has shown so far. Right now is a good time for everyone to up their effort...
Last edited by Libertine on 24 Sep 2012 06:23, edited 1 time in total.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 24 Sep 2012 06:21

winchester_royal
Caskeys Lovechild If those people questioning the credibility of "The Board" on here, are being serious about doubting the brains who have masterminded the most successful period in the history of Reading FC, then I would question where they get their sense of reality from.

It's difficult to support this reasoning though without knowing the thinking that went into pre-season. If Brian genuinely thought this squad will be strong enough to avoid the drop and it turns out not to be....well then that is a big failure on his part.

Ultimately this is just about the biggest season in RFC's long history. The financial rewards of a place in next season's PL are so unbelievably great, that relegation this season will be nothing other than failure.

Still have the utmost faith in his ability to turn this round, but if we get relegated by a decent margin then I would imagine Brian will be held responsible.

I completely agree with the highlighted part. This is a big year because of what next season represents to the financial strength of the club.

I am just not one for placing "blame". I am sure it was a group decision and we have no idea if the way we ended up going was any one person's will being imposed. So I really disagree with the personnel moves, or lack thereof, being pinned completely on Brian since we don't know what went on behind closed doors but obviously he was part of that decision. I am going to limit my critiques of Brian to what is happening on the pitch. And right now that needs improving and believe that it will and won't believe it will not improve until it doesn't.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 24 Sep 2012 08:37

BM will stay to the end of the season whatever happens.

We will go down though. Simple really- 2006/07 squad > Current Squad, plus Current league > 2006/07 league in terms of strength of opposition

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Sep 2012 10:32

winchester_royal

addressed areas of weakness, bought in cover, added quality, spent a decent amount(for us)
i was happy with the summer.
i think weve looked and said we dont want failed prem players, or old players, we want young and hungry. and if that fails and we go down so be it.and we wont bankrupt the club in some sort of financial pissing competition that cannot guarantee survival.
i think that is the only way we can proceed.

ill happily yo yo for a few years tbf
im pretty happy with that ttitude

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Sep 2012 10:35

Is there really a seven page thread on here about the manager losing his job when we've only played four games back in the Premier League?

Blimey.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Sep 2012 10:57

Libertine
Snowball Spend Spend Spend

Like QPR

Nobody serious is saying we should be spending like drunken sailors. What was needed was 2-3 more players of Premier League calibre ability, like a Danny Guthrie calibre of player for example. And there were some on the teams which got relegated from the Premier League and other top tier leagues across Europe we could have brought in...who wouldn't have been that expensive.

But what everybody needs to do, from mangement down to the fans, is to do what they are doing better. I included the fans not because I believe our support deserves criticism, because it has been good imo, but from the point of view that what the team needs now is even more support The last thing needed right now, not that I am sure it would happen anyhoo but over my years I have learned anything can happen, is for the fans to turn. I have faith in Brian as the leader of this team to get the most out of them possible. I have confidence that this team is much better than it has shown so far. Right now is a good time for everyone to up their effort...

The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't automatically follow that spending will bring the needed success

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 24 Sep 2012 11:05

Maguire Is there really a seven page thread on here about the manager losing his job when we've only played four games back in the Premier League?

Blimey.

You'd better believe it. :|

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 24 Sep 2012 11:13

3 veesinarow
Maguire Is there really a seven page thread on here about the manager losing his job when we've only played four games back in the Premier League?

Blimey.

Not sure it's really about him losing his job soon, just about how long he would last under the new ownership if things carried on like this. Not a ridiculous topic of conversation IMHO.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 24 Sep 2012 11:16

Blimey.

I think it's due to the manner of defeat in last two games - not really offering up much of a challenge. Maybe I am being a doom monger but when I watch MoD and the other teams they all look so much better that RFC in terms of skills on the ball, but as I said maybe I'm just looking at it in a negative way.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Sep 2012 11:20

winchester_royal
3 veesinarow

Blimey.

Not sure it's really about him losing his job soon, just about how long he would last under the new ownership if things carried on like this. Not a ridiculous topic of conversation IMHO.

What's the point of speculating about the managers position? The bloke's been absolutely brilliant for us and has, let's be honest, won a totally unexpected title with an unremarkable set of players.

We've played four games. Guess what, it's a harder league than the one we were in before and we won't do as well.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Sep 2012 11:27

Maguire
We've played four games. Guess what, it's a harder league than the one we were in before and we won't do as well.

Not with that attitude.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 24 Sep 2012 11:34

Maguire
What's the point of speculating about the managers position? The bloke's been absolutely brilliant for us and has, let's be honest, won a totally unexpected title with an unremarkable set of players.

Well thanks for clearing that up for us lesser-minded fools :|

There is no speculation about the manager's position at this moment in time on this thread. If you look at the thread title it quite clearly specifies that the question is not of his position now, but of how long he will have the full back of this board in things continue AT THIS RATE. I.E. if we continue to to operate at 0.25ppg, which would lead to an overall total of 9/10 points at the end of the season. I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that if that came to pass Brian's position would be at the very least under threat.

Just to clarify, I think talk of getting rid of him any time soon is utterly ridiculous, but I don't think it's quite the crime you're making it out to be when people ask at what point during the season does he become under threat if things don't improve.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 24 Sep 2012 11:45

U oxf*rd Spastic Troll !!!!!
ManchesterRoyals How long do u give him?

I like him as a manger but how long do you think he will get

Dunno if this is true but ive heard it mentioned on here i think that H Redknapp could be lined up for the job after BM

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Sep 2012 12:06

winchester_royal
Maguire

Well thanks for clearing that up for us lesser-minded fools :|

There is no speculation about the manager's position at this moment in time on this thread. If you look at the thread title it quite clearly specifies that the question is not of his position now, but of how long he will have the full back of this board in things continue AT THIS RATE. I.E. if we continue to to operate at 0.25ppg, which would lead to an overall total of 9/10 points at the end of the season. I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that if that came to pass Brian's position would be at the very least under threat.

Just to clarify, I think talk of getting rid of him any time soon is utterly ridiculous, but I don't think it's quite the crime you're making it out to be when people ask at what point during the season does he become under threat if things don't improve.

Of course he'd go if we got 9 points all season :-S Why even suggest that we will?

This thread is completely mindless. In fact this entire forum is completely mindless. I just don't know why people are like this.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 24 Sep 2012 12:10

How long will this thread last at this rate?????

3209 posts