CONFIMRED - Norwood to Brighton

142 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Norwood to Brighton

by genome » 05 Aug 2016 11:48

No Fixed Abode In what way?

Derby County Apps 13 Goals 0

Last 30 apps in all competitions for both Reading and Derby: 2 goals.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2016 18:10

SCIAG I didn't go to either of those games so I can't comment, but I don't think the highlights show what you say that they show, except for Fulham's first goal.

Statistically, Norwood is one of the best midfielders in the league defensively, and has been since before he joined us. Maybe that's because teams target him so he gets lots of opportunities to tackle, but I can't say I've noticed that happening.

I also don't think it's true to say we used the same system and players all season. In fact, I think a big part of the problem was that we spent too much time dabbling with different set-ups rather than sticking with the one that worked. We used 30 players.

I've certainly noticed teams waltz straight past Williams far more than Norwood. I can remember many crunching tackles and good intercepts from Ollie... bugger all from Williams.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Aug 2016 20:57

SCIAG
blueroyals Gunter, HRK, Norwood - since they've been in the team the club has regressed for several seasons in succession. They might not be the problem but they're certainly not the answer.

Fair enough wrt. Gunter and Norwood, but the same was once true of Dave Kitson, Ivar Ingimarsson and Glen Little.

It's not true of HRK, who has been "in the team" since the days of Brendan Rodgers. He played more when we got promoted than in either of the last two seasons.

Just seen this, and can't see how you can say that of those three.

All 3 of them played one full season for us before we won the league, and in that season we finished 7th.

Kitson and Little both left after relegation from the Premier League so perhaps Ingimarsson was around for the decline after that, but he was then let go as he was past his best.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Aug 2016 21:12

Hoop Blah
SCIAG
blueroyals Gunter, HRK, Norwood - since they've been in the team the club has regressed for several seasons in succession. They might not be the problem but they're certainly not the answer.

Fair enough wrt. Gunter and Norwood, but the same was once true of Dave Kitson, Ivar Ingimarsson and Glen Little.

It's not true of HRK, who has been "in the team" since the days of Brendan Rodgers. He played more when we got promoted than in either of the last two seasons.

All 3 of them played one full season for us before we won the league, and in that season we finished 7th.

Kitson and Little both left after relegation from the Premier League so perhaps Ingimarsson was around for the decline after that, but he was then let go as he was past his best.

My thinking was that they joined a side that had just finished 4th and was doing pretty well, and guided it to an upper-mid-table position (8th or 9th iirc). Then they were part of a team that moved up a couple of places in the table but didn't show much sign of improvement on the pitch.

At least in relative terms, I don't think that's substantially different to Norwood joining a team that finished upper mid-table and finishing 19th and 17th. It's worse in absolute terms, of course, but the argument was that we're a team in decline, not a team that isn't very good.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2016 01:26

SCIAG
Hoop Blah
SCIAG Fair enough wrt. Gunter and Norwood, but the same was once true of Dave Kitson, Ivar Ingimarsson and Glen Little.

My thinking was that they joined a side that had just finished 4th and was doing pretty well, and guided it to an upper-mid-table position (8th or 9th iirc). Then they were part of a team that moved up a couple of places in the table but didn't show much sign of improvement on the pitch.

At least in relative terms, I don't think that's substantially different to Norwood joining a team that finished upper mid-table and finishing 19th and 17th. It's worse in absolute terms, of course, but the argument was that we're a team in decline, not a team that isn't very good.

Erm... in one there's a maximum difference in places of 5, in the other it's 12. One varies from in the play offs to just outside whilst the other goes from just outside the play offs to just above the relegation scrap.

And I wouldn't even agree that Norwood was one of the factors in our slip. I'd say he was one of the reasons the slip wasn't bigger and we aren't currently playing in League One.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 07 Aug 2016 14:59

I broadly agree with that but you didn't have to post it twice.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 07 Aug 2016 16:16

Surely you're not referring to the same Nick Blackman described by a Derby fan in 4-4-2 as "Nick Blackman - one of the worst signings we've ever made"

And knowing Derby, I suspect there are some strong contenders.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Aug 2016 11:23

Blackman started :shock: for Derby on Saturday and lasted 69 minutes.

Both Pearce and Norwood were unused substitutes for their respective teams.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 17 Aug 2016 09:56

Looking at comments about Norwood on NSC from last night:

• - Tidy, without anything spectacular.
  • - Championship's Michael Carrick?
  • - largely anonymous which is exactly what you want from someone in that role.
  • - made a number of mistakes in his defensive role which on another day would have been capitalised on by a better attack.
  • - poor but I suppose it'll take him time to adjust
  • - couple of poor touches that put Maenpaa and someone else under unnecessary pressure but, apart from that, oozes class. He strokes the ball around midfield.
  • - decent most of the game and can tell hes got a great range of passing. Let him self down a bit with his defensive duty, nearly cost us a goal.
  • - looks tidy and can clearly pick a pass, but not sure I'd want him in there in a battle nor sure he could boss a game
  • - bit like Crofts but less anonymous. A little bit of Bridcutt in him as well.
  • - he gave the ball away in dangerous positions 4 or 5 times, just very lucky to not be punished.
  • - Pretty well I thought. His corners were good. Kept things simple in the main with good passing ratio. Would have said very well but for blunders near end of game, one of which was a hospital back pass from which Maenpaa got him out of jail

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Aug 2016 10:02

maffff
[*]- His corners were good

Obviously wasn't watching Oliver Norwood, must be a different Norwood.

George_

by George_ » 17 Aug 2016 10:03

maffff Pretty well I thought. His corners were good.

:shock:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Aug 2016 11:53

Hendo
maffff

Maybe their corners were EVEN shitter than ours before?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Aug 2016 11:55

CountryRoyal
Hendo
maffff

Maybe their corners were EVEN shitter than ours before?

Surely not possible - maybe their corners are closer to the goal so when it doesn't beat the first man at least the ball is still getting into the box? :wink:

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 17 Aug 2016 12:49

Never considered him not starting against us on Saturday but I would LOL if he were an unused substitute.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Aug 2016 17:19

maffff Looking at comments about Norwood on NSC from last night:

• - made a number of mistakes in his defensive role which on another day would have been capitalised on by a better attack.
  • - couple of poor touches that put Maenpaa and someone else under unnecessary pressure but, apart from that, oozes class. He strokes the ball around midfield.
  • - decent most of the game and can tell hes got a great range of passing. Let him self down a bit with his defensive duty, nearly cost us a goal.
  • - looks tidy and can clearly pick a pass, but not sure I'd want him in there in a battle nor sure he could boss a game
  • - bit like Crofts but less anonymous. A little bit of Bridcutt in him as well.
  • - he gave the ball away in dangerous positions 4 or 5 times, just very lucky to not be punished.
  • - Pretty well I thought. His corners were good. Kept things simple in the main with good passing ratio. Would have said very well but for blunders near end of game, one of which was a hospital back pass from which Maenpaa got him out of jail

tbf we all thought the same when he first joined and he's not that bad a player - just not a holding midfielder, which he is for some reason being played as

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Aug 2016 17:49

Nothing but jolly nice things to say about us......

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... g-11771578

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2016 17:55

Sutekh Nothing but jolly nice things to say about us......

Didn't stop him jumping ship at the first opportunity.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Aug 2016 18:19

That is Norwood to a tee. Good judge of a footballer those Brighton fans. And because their team is a top of the table standard side. It's easier for them to measure him against what is required to be at the top of the league. Too many of our fans loved Norwood despite him being a major part of the reason that we were sh*te.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Aug 2016 18:30

Sounds like the Norwood of last year. The team has been poor for so long that we overate our own players.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 19 Aug 2016 18:45

CountryRoyal
Sutekh Nothing but jolly nice things to say about us......

Didn't stop him jumping ship at the first opportunity.

Him liking Reading and also liking money and a chance of getting to the premier league aren't mutually exclusive.

142 posts