The pitch

141 posts
shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 21 Jan 2007 14:54

They commented just now on the state of the pitch yesterday, during the Wigan v Everton match.

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 21 Jan 2007 17:22

I must admit I was expecting things to look a lot worse than they did yesterday, given all the talk about the pitch. I thought the ball ran true and it didn't cut up very much.
OK there was a few spots of sand around the technical areas, but the pitch itself looked OK and a heck of a lot more green than brown.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Jan 2007 17:28

purleyroyal I must admit I was expecting things to look a lot worse than they did yesterday, given all the talk about the pitch. I thought the ball ran true and it didn't cut up very much.
OK there was a few spots of sand around the technical areas, but the pitch itself looked OK and a heck of a lot more green than brown.

Were you watching a different game?? :shock: :shock:

Everytime the ball went across-field on the deck it slowed down when it hit the brown patch in the middle. It was in a shocking state

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Jan 2007 17:30

John Madejski's Wallet
purleyroyal I must admit I was expecting things to look a lot worse than they did yesterday, given all the talk about the pitch. I thought the ball ran true and it didn't cut up very much.

Everytime the ball went across-field on the deck it slowed down when it hit the brown patch in the middle. It was in a shocking state

Not shocking at all.
Over-reaction.

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 21 Jan 2007 17:30

John Madejski's Wallet

I might grant you a bit of that, but we did seem to do quite a few ground passes (ignoring about 30 mins of the first half) so it can't have affected our play all that much.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Jan 2007 17:32

readingbedding
Not shocking at all.
Over-reaction.

Suppose it's fine if you want to play hoofball. But the ball repeatedly got slowed down when passed across field. That is shocking for a premiership pitch when there isn't standing water around

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Jan 2007 17:36

readingbedding Not shocking at all. Over-reaction.

It's oxf*rd :evil:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Jan 2007 17:37

So the pitch must have affected our performance in the 2nd half?

No, thought not.

Shocking pitch.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Jan 2007 17:38

readingbedding So the pitch must have affected our performance in the 2nd half?

No, thought not.

Shocking pitch.

Just because we played well and won doesnt mean pitch was perfect.

We usually play the ball into channels, hence why the really crap areas didn't affect us that much

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Jan 2007 17:41

Shocking pitch though right?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jan 2007 17:50

The bobbles out wide beat Gen Little a few times.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Jan 2007 18:01

I'm pretty sure the pitch cost us Sonko yesterday, it was a disgrace and I hope London Irish go out of business to be honest.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Jan 2007 18:03

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

Sue the pitch.
Sue the pitch.

Nasty pitch, shocking pitch, evil pitch.

There must have been loads of injuries yesterday because of the pitch.

It was that bad.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 21 Jan 2007 18:06

Royalee I'm pretty sure the pitch cost us Sonko yesterday, it was a disgrace and I hope London Irish go out of business to be honest.

I'm not sure how the pitch cost us sonko, it's just as flat whether there's grass on it or not. It's how it's designed. That's assuming the Grounds people do their job properly.

What cost us Sonko was two seasons with barely a break, it takes it's toll on the best on the strongest of players just as much as the weakest. That and the world cup had us without Convey at the beginning of the season and now Doyle with a ham string injury.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 21 Jan 2007 18:15

I noticed that the pitch was a bit 'dead' in the middle. One time the ball game to Harper and just died in front of him.
The pitch was more bobbly out wide than normal.

However this is the middle of Winter after a very wet couple of months. Watch replays of matches from the 70's and 80's to see what players used to put up with.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 21 Jan 2007 18:41

A while to our next home game(tues eve 3oth jan)no reserve ,under 18 or rugger bugger games from what I can see Weather set fair with some sun although a tad nippy Along with Sonks a chance to recover methinks.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 25 Jan 2007 18:02

I thought the pitch was awful tbh, there was a patch in the middle running from the centre circle to the goalmouth by the South Stand which was very muddy. Also from my position in the South Stand R32 there were muddy patches from the corner flag on the left to the edge of the 18 yard box, only made worse by Paddy Kenny's warm up :roll:

G Force 1871
Location: I'll always be on the Southbank halfway up, midway between the halfway line and the away end.

by G Force 1871 » 25 Jan 2007 19:11

readingbedding Yes, I'm sure you're right.

Sue the pitch.
Sue the pitch.

Nasty pitch, shocking pitch, evil pitch.

There must have been loads of injuries yesterday because of the pitch.

It was that bad.

Seriously mate, shut up, your sounding like a right oxf*rd pratt.

The fact is, this Reading team like to play quick, slick passing football on the deck. On saturday the pitch did not help us play to our strengths which is surely one of the major benefits of playing at home.

The ball slowed up in the brown areas, there were a number of dodgy bobbles and it cut up quicker than a gram of charlie at Kate and Petes.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 25 Jan 2007 20:11

It's winter you clown.

What do you expect?

Over-exaggeration.

The pitch on Saturday meant that we did not play to our strengths?

What are you on about?

The last 3 games at home, we have won 6-0, 3-2 and 3-1.

Whine, bitch, moan and complain.

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 26 Jan 2007 13:57

There has been talk of re-turfing the middle from goal to goal. Not sure if anyone can confirm whether any thing has gone on at all this week?

141 posts