The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7829 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2014/15

by SCIAG » 20 Dec 2014 23:11

P!ssed Off Lawal. I lost count of the number of awful things he did. The Arsenal fans near me were laughing at him. 2/10
Sheppard. Did nothing for the most of the game, seemed to wake up for the last 10 minutes. 4/10

Thanks for the information PO (and JordCot). The snippets I saw looked quite promising, it's a shame the rest of the match didn't live up to them.

Lawal at left back is a bit perplexing.

We've never really produced a left back through the academy, I can only really think of Griffin who has really staked a claim to a senior contract and even then... the likes of Julian Kelly, Goddard, Obita and Owusu were all converted from other positions, and people like McClennan and Isaacs couldn't displace makeshift fullbacks. This year there is no left back again, and also no left winger (Davis has done quite well there in recent weeks).

Since he returned from injury, Sheppard has mostly been playing left back, but whilst he was out, Lawal was at full back a lot. I think they're trying for another Owusu, turning an unordinary winger into a threatening full back, as well as partially doing it out of necessity. I'm not surprised he got rinsed defensively, Owusu would have been exposed a lot more without Kuhl in front of him too. Not sure why they moved Sheppard forward, I can only think that they must have wanted him to get in more advanced positions. I agree with JordCot that he probably has the ability to play behind the striker. The only previous academy player I feel comfortable comparing him to is Tanner. But at least he knows how to play full back, which it doesn't seem Lawal does. Stick Lawal on the wing and let him create some space for the more creative players to do something.

Ian Royal What were the ages like? Was the team younger than last years lot were at the time?

PO correctly identifies that there's little difference between the sides in terms of raw age, but there's quite a lot in terms of experience.

Two years ago, our strongest U18 side was something like this: Lincoln; Long, Sweeney, Cooper, Griffin; Kuhl, Tshibola; Stacey, Tanner, Fosu; Ikpeazu (stick Keown in for Long or Sweeney if you wish)
A year before that, Lincoln, Keown, Cooper, Griffin, Tshibola and Tanner were all in the strongest side (and criminal Partridge aside, the others are still at the club, which would have been unthinkable a few years before that).

By the end of the season, Kelly and Hyam were playing regularly, and Kuhl and Fosu were getting minutes for the U21s. Heck, most of the side had some experience in the U18s the previous year too (friendlies were often organised with other U18 sides for a mix of the U16s and U18s to play in). Cardwell was pulling up trees at Hull and Sammi in Iceland. Last year's spine was relatively experienced.

Last season, only three members of this side were getting regular minutes and one of them was the goalkeeper. The exceptionally strong U18s side meant Husin hasn't played as much as Kelly had a year ago.

I don't like how verbose I'm being... tl;dr, this side is inexperienced, particularly without Ethelston or Waritay fit, and they also haven't been playing together as long

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 Dec 2014 02:09

Does anyone know why we don't loan out young players anymore?
Was that decision anything to do with Adkins?

I think the policy is starting to bite us now. Neither Dom Hyam or Rob Dickie have started a game in 2 months! There are simply too many CBs in the U21s. Keown or Sweeney, or perhaps both, should be out on loan.

I think Watson, Cardwell and Novakovich should be in the U21s.
Wasted in the U18s now.
As SCIAG says the U18s this year are very inexperienced, yet mostly 2nd years. The club should be better preparing for next year by breaking in more 1st years now, using the opportunities provided through promoting the capable 2nd years.

Likewise Dominic Samuel is wasting away in the U21s imo. Hopefully Tshibola and Tanner don't go down the same route.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Dec 2014 11:07

I believe it's simply because loaning players out wasn't working. The only player in the last 5 years or so who has really had a successful loan is Hector. The likes of Taylor, Obita, Arnold, D'Ath, Ugwu and Samuel had pretty disappointing loans. Other clubs use different styles of play and different formations which maybe aren't what we want our players to be learning.

I'm not sure they thought through what would happen when we had more centre backs/left backs/central midfielders than we can possibly fit into the U21s team. I'd agree with trying to get loans for the back four. I have a funny feeling we'll be seeing more of Tanner in the first team so that will open up a spot, likewise with Samuel if he can maintain his form.

Last year we had some success using Husin and Lawal (lol) in unimportant matches in the U21s so our strongest U18 side could stay together. I don't know if that's so relevant this year but to me it would make sense to make sure Husin gets regular football and use someone like Harrison Bennett as a substitute midfielder for the U21s.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 23 Dec 2014 07:42

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 12 Jan 2015 09:04

Looks as if the U21`s are away to Huddersfield in the QF`s of the league cup-date to be announced.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 15 Jan 2015 13:17

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/team/academy_profiles.aspx

OS now has profiles on the scholars. Some of the comments are quite telling.

Marc Ethelston- "He’s got into the Saturday team through sheer determination and desire."
Justin Thompson-Lee- "He is getting used to the professionalism of a football club and the vigours and demands of the discipline."

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Jan 2015 16:03

RIP to Urbancic and Thompson-Lee.

The profiles are never usually this revealing. Not just who doesn't try in training and who has difficulties in their personal life, but things like East being very small (typical August baby), Williams inconsistent, everyone rubbish defensively...

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 15 Jan 2015 20:06

Anyone know what happened to Vastuk?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jan 2015 21:01

He's 19 and it's Vastsuk.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 Jan 2015 21:19

U10s finish 3rd in 18 team futsal tournament, hosted by Ajax.

Group Stage:
Wins vs: PSV, Sparta Rotterdam and Genk
Draws vs: AFC Amsterdam and Anderlecht
Losses: None!

Quarter-Final: Beat Southampton
Semi-Final: Lost to Ajax

Reading, Everton and Southampton the 3 English teams involved.
http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 05344.aspx?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Jan 2015 09:23

Bit of a shame we don't have any keepers at a league one loan ready status at the moment, I hear Scunny are desperately scrabbling at the market.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Jan 2015 11:00

U18's beat Arsenal 2-1 yesterday. Nova and Davis with the goals.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Jan 2015 12:04

The Ugwu debate continues.

Having parted ways with Dunfermline at Christmas (not sure why) with a solid record of 7 goals from 9(5) league games, he's recently joined Yeovil, bottom of League 1.

Goal on debut yesterday, earning them a 1-0 win. 2nd home league win of the season.
If he continues banging them in at League 1 level, we'll look very silly.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 18 Jan 2015 13:20

Gozi - good luck to him, hope he does really well and proves them wrong for releasing him. Unfortunately
He needed the same agent as the strikers we have that play regardless. There agent must have had something
Written in there contract in regards to always playing. Maybe why academy strikers never have a look in and are
The first to be released?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Jan 2015 14:36

P!ssed Off The Ugwu debate continues.

Having parted ways with Dunfermline at Christmas (not sure why) with a solid record of 7 goals from 9(5) league games, he's recently joined Yeovil, bottom of League 1.

Goal on debut yesterday, earning them a 1-0 win. 2nd home league win of the season.

Does it have something to do with League One being a huge step up from Scottish League One, given half the SPL is on a par with the upper reaches of League One? If Dunfermline just let him go and he was without a club until Yeovil got him, it rather suggests a behind the scenes problem with that scoring record.

He's at least two good or one exceptional League One season(s) away from proving anything to us and even then there's no saying he'd have done anything by staying with us rather than going out and getting that experience.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jan 2015 16:17

mambo3 Gozi - good luck to him, hope he does really well and proves them wrong for releasing him. Unfortunately
He needed the same agent as the strikers we have that play regardless. There agent must have had something
Written in there contract in regards to always playing. Maybe why academy strikers never have a look in and are
The first to be released?

I doubt it was contractual. We basically used three strikers last season - Pog, Le Fondre and Sharp. The first two of them have both spent spells out of the side. Put simply, if Adkins thought Ugwu was good enough, he would have got game time.

Academy strikers aren't necessarily the first to be released. I believe Ugwu was one of three players in his age group to still be with the club, along with Lawson D'Ath and Nick Arnold. All three were released, but they, including Ugwu, outlasted over eight of their team mates. You've so far outlasted all your contemporaries except Obita and Henly (and Edwards if he counts). Simon Church and Nicholas Bignall both stuck around for a long time, Uche Ikpeazu and Simon Cox left of their own volition. The examples that support you are Abdulai Bell-Baggie (imo very harshly treated but he hasn't done especially well since he was released), and Ofori/Crossdale-Taylor (a bit strange to see them released but Shaughnessy and McLennan retained).

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Jan 2015 16:55

Ian Royal
P!ssed Off The Ugwu debate continues.

Does it have something to do with League One being a huge step up from Scottish League One, given half the SPL is on a par with the upper reaches of League One? If Dunfermline just let him go and he was without a club until Yeovil got him, it rather suggests a behind the scenes problem with that scoring record.

He's at least two good or one exceptional League One season(s) away from proving anything to us and even then there's no saying he'd have done anything by staying with us rather than going out and getting that experience.

I think Dunfermline only gave him a six month contract. I'm not sure why this wasn't renewed. Perhaps Ugwu didn't like living in Scotland (fair enough) and thought he could get a contract in England (which turned out to be the case). Or perhaps Dunfermline didn't offer him an extension. I'm not sure.

As for paragraph 2: I don't think it would take many more goals at all to prove it was a mistake we released him. Our sub striker was signed at age 23, for over a million pounds and handed a 3 and a half year contract after only 5 goals from open play in 28 games, at a top League 1 club.

The amount of money we spent on Blackman, were willing to spend on Murray, and are spending each week on Pogrebnyak. And yet there was no room in the squad/budget for the homegrown Ugwu. Absolute madness!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Jan 2015 17:07

He's scored 1 goal in League One on his debut for crying out loud. Scottish League One can't be any better than non-league. We can't magic away who's contracted to us. You won't find me arguing that Blackman was good or vfm signing. TBH, you won't even find me arguing he's a striker!

Cox & Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ugwu

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 19 Jan 2015 20:58

Reading some posts on a forum it sounds like Ugwu had nine bad games for every good game, they didn't seem that taken with him tbh.

Gilksy

by Gilksy » 20 Jan 2015 12:14

Ian Royal He's scored 1 goal in League One on his debut for crying out loud. Scottish League One can't be any better than non-league. We can't magic away who's contracted to us. You won't find me arguing that Blackman was good or vfm signing. TBH, you won't even find me arguing he's a striker!

Cox & Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ugwu

But Ugwu >>> Blackman and HRK?

The guy wanted a chance in the first team, and to be fair, he may have deserved a chance at backing up Cox and Murray when you look at how bad the other two are up front.

7829 posts