17460 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Dec 2022 15:16

Stranded
Sutekh
Hound
Jeff does some good stuff, is generally neat and tidy and has a bit of a goal threat. He just makes too many simple mistakes - case in point saturday in the 94th min when he completely misjudged a throw in and it went over his head, starting off a Cov break when we had them in their own corner.

Too many misplaced passes and fouls due to poor positioning

Certainly not been worse than the others have been overall but I’d look to Fornah/Loum if they could be more consistent

Generally I like what I've seen of Hendrick but he does seem to make one or two mistakes in every game and sometimes one of those mistakes is enough to really undo all his good work. Both Fornah and Loum look pretty decent on their day but their day isn't often enough which is possibly more to do with their youth/inexperience. Fornah is 23 and still only finding his way while Loum, though 25, hasn't really played too much in the senior leagues in Spain and Portugal let alone the fluster of the English 2nd tier.

Of course Hendrick has a mistake or two in him. That's why he's come on loan to Reading and his parent club are paying for him not to be there.

In the confines of our restrictions, he is more than fine and as said does the majority of the simple stuff very well to keep things ticking over whilst also having the ability to find space and make some well timed runs.

I know it's very unlikely to happen but I wouldn't mind Hendrick permanently next season for a couple of seasons, is very much steady away in this league and is well experienced. Doesn't get everything bang on but no player in this league does, as mentioned he's playing here for a reason but is competent in the midfield.

I'd probably take Fornah in all honesty, think he's got room to develop and grow with the club. We (more specifically, he) just need a bit of continuity in that position for this year and going forwards. Loum might be a bit overpriced for what he offers, unless we negotiate a lower fee but that's very unlikely.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Dec 2022 16:07

Hendrick gets caught on the ball far too often. It's caused us a number of issues - including at least one goal. Probably more.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Dec 2022 16:31

leon Hendrick gets caught on the ball far too often. It's caused us a number of issues - including at least one goal. Probably more.

His positioning is poor. He is so often bypassed
Hutchinson and Fornah would be my preferred choice

Hendrick offers little goal threat
Most of his attempts have been awful.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Dec 2022 18:25

Overall we're doing ok in the league so not going to worry about systems. Let's just stay up which we're on course to do and grind enough wins after Christmas
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 14 Dec 2022 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Dec 2022 18:25

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
Sutekh
Generally I like what I've seen of Hendrick but he does seem to make one or two mistakes in every game and sometimes one of those mistakes is enough to really undo all his good work. Both Fornah and Loum look pretty decent on their day but their day isn't often enough which is possibly more to do with their youth/inexperience. Fornah is 23 and still only finding his way while Loum, though 25, hasn't really played too much in the senior leagues in Spain and Portugal let alone the fluster of the English 2nd tier.

Of course Hendrick has a mistake or two in him. That's why he's come on loan to Reading and his parent club are paying for him not to be there.

In the confines of our restrictions, he is more than fine and as said does the majority of the simple stuff very well to keep things ticking over whilst also having the ability to find space and make some well timed runs.

I know it's very unlikely to happen but I wouldn't mind Hendrick permanently next season for a couple of seasons, is very much steady away in this league and is well experienced. Doesn't get everything bang on but no player in this league does, as mentioned he's playing here for a reason but is competent in the midfield.

I'd probably take Fornah in all honesty, think he's got room to develop and grow with the club. We (more specifically, he) just need a bit of continuity in that position for this year and going forwards. Loum might be a bit overpriced for what he offers, unless we negotiate a lower fee but that's very unlikely.

Swap deal with Tom Holmes for Fornah in the summer with no fee, Yes or no?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Dec 2022 18:47

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

It would be a no for me. I believe Holmes has greatly improved this season. I like Fornah but his performances have recently tailed off. Ideally, I’d keep both of them and Mbengue.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Dec 2022 08:41

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

No. I think we could get a few million for Holmes if we sold and I think that outweighs what Fornah is worth. I think we could get both next season if we decided to pursue a deal for Fornah, price dependent.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Dec 2022 08:56

YorkshireRoyal99
Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99

No. I think we could get a few million for Holmes if we sold and I think that outweighs what Fornah is worth. I think we could get both next season if we decided to pursue a deal for Fornah, price dependent.

If Holmes were to want to leave and Forest offered say 4m plus Fornah, I might be tempted.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Dec 2022 08:58

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Royal_jimmy

If Holmes were to want to leave and Forest offered say 4m plus Fornah, I might be tempted.

Agreed, something in that area anyway would be feasible. We don't have a shortage of promising CB's coming through and we've still got Sarr, Hutchinson and TMac for next season as well, with Yiadom who can play there. Holmes would be a big loss, but for a deal like that it would not be bad and we could always replace with a loan signing or cheap deal if needs be, or trust someone like Dorsett in the squad next year.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Dec 2022 15:56

Zip
leon Hendrick gets caught on the ball far too often. It's caused us a number of issues - including at least one goal. Probably more.

Would personally associate that description more with Fornah. Again, it’s another midfielder who does the odd neat and tidy thing but doesn’t exert much influence on the game. He did OK at Watford but was then subsequently subbed off early against Hull after another anonymous performance. Loum is the opposite in that he gets involved but gets a lot wrong. Both started with extreme promise after the Blackburn and Boro games and have got progressively worse, whereas I think Hendrick started poorly but has come into the season a bit

Do think it’s our weakest position currently which is why I’d like to see Hutch in there when possible

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Dec 2022 16:01

URZZZZ
Zip

Would personally associate that description more with Fornah. Again, it’s another midfielder who does the odd neat and tidy thing but doesn’t exert much influence on the game. He did OK at Watford but was then subsequently subbed off early against Hull after another anonymous performance. Loum is the opposite in that he gets involved but gets a lot wrong. Both started with extreme promise after the Blackburn and Boro games and have got progressively worse, whereas I think Hendrick started poorly but has come into the season a bit

Do think it’s our weakest position currently which is why I’d like to see Hutch in there when possible

No doubt both Loum and Fornah have dropped off their early season form. Agree Hutchinson will help improve matters.
Hendrick did drop deep to help the defence out last week but he so often seems in no man's land. I'm just not a fan.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Dec 2022 08:44

Hendrick is a rock in the position he plays. How that goes unnoticed amazes me. You only have to look at how solid we are now and ask yourself why particularly as its a similar defence to last year. Just because some users on here think Laurent, Rhinomota and Swift had cool hairstyles, wore nice trainers and signed autographs doesnt mean that they are decent footballers in that midfield we had. League table from their current clubs might tell you all you need to know.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Dec 2022 09:08

paultheroyal Hendrick is a rock in the position he plays. How that goes unnoticed amazes me. You only have to look at how solid we are now and ask yourself why particularly as its a similar defence to last year. Just because some users on here think Laurent, Rhinomota and Swift had cool hairstyles, wore nice trainers and signed autographs doesnt mean that they are decent footballers in that midfield we had. League table from their current clubs might tell you all you need to know.

I think it's worth noting that the change in management and system also has a part to play. When we were missing Rino for the final half a dozen (or so) games last season, I was fearing the worst, losing who I thought was considered our best ball winning midfielder missing for the season and, to be honest, we didn't struggle as much as I thought we would.

I think it comes down to personnel and systems. Under Pauno, which Ince has referenced, we lacked all sorts of discipline which is probably typical at the end of a managers time at a club, so that will have impacted how we played. Having said that, Swift is a quality footballer that needs a team built around him, whereas Laurent and Rino are proving to be decent, yet unspectacular, Championship footballers. Nothing much wrong with the latter two, but with our situation coupled with the wages they would have both commanded means we are probably better off without them. Hendrick, Loum, Fornah and, to a lesser extent, Hutchinson has room for improvement, but are more than competent.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2022 09:53

paultheroyal Hendrick is a rock in the position he plays. How that goes unnoticed amazes me. You only have to look at how solid we are now and ask yourself why particularly as its a similar defence to last year. Just because some users on here think Laurent, Rhinomota and Swift had cool hairstyles, wore nice trainers and signed autographs doesnt mean that they are decent footballers in that midfield we had. League table from their current clubs might tell you all you need to know.

Our current League position is all about how we have been set up and how we play as a team. We are set up not to lose games rather than go out and win them which is fair enough given our restrictions.

We are also set up to be more physical and cynical. Again nothing wrong with that as we were far too soft last season.

Hendrick doesn't excel at anything.
He is often caught in possession or gives the ball away. He has scored a goal but is not at all creative apart from v Bristol City where he played very well in the second half.

The squad is also fitter than in recent seasons. We don't look out on our feet during the second half of games Our injury problems are also much lower than in recent years.

So lots of reasons why we are more solid.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Dec 2022 10:04

I haven't compared it to the rest of the league, but Hendrick averages just over 26 passes per game and completed just over 76% of them, it works out at about 20/26 per game which isn't bad I don't think. He doesn't tend to play too many long balls, less than 1 per game.

He's a steady away player. If he couldn't keep the ball well enough, lost it often and was caught out a lot positionally, then I don't think he'd be in the side. He's an experienced player with a decent profile and is doing a solid enough job for us in the main.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2022 10:18

We’re a much better, stronger, balanced and fitter side than last year all round (and we’re still not great)

Hendrick has played a role in that but it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest he is why we’re conceding a lot less goals

According to the bbc, when we played wba and lost this time last year we had

Southwood
Holmes Moore Dann
Ashcroft Tetek Laurent Baba

Defending the goal - I think the current line up is well ahead of that

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2022 12:01

Hound We’re a much better, stronger, balanced and fitter side than last year all round (and we’re still not great)

Hendrick has played a role in that but it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest he is why we’re conceding a lot less goals

Southwood
Holmes Moore Dann

Yep.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2022 12:03

Hound We’re a much better, stronger, balanced and fitter side than last year all round (and we’re still not great)

Southwood
Holmes Moore Dann

Yep

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2022 12:04

Southwood
Holmes Moore Dann

It really is a very big stretch re Hendrick. He looks like an average Championship player at best. His passing stats are OK but let's be honest most of his passes are short and sideways.
Last edited by Zip on 16 Dec 2022 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Dec 2022 12:04

Southwood
Holmes Moore Dann

Agree - I think the individuals form part of the collective really, if the collective is good then the individuals in the side are doing something right as well as the systems and tactics being right as well. There will always be room for improvement in players and in what we do, but it's very satisfactory on the whole at the moment.

17460 posts