MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

183 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 18:33

Royal_jimmy Still can't believe fans are happy with a draw against a dog shit Wigan side

Who is happy?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2023 18:36

Vision Honestly thought the first half was the best we've played in a while , certainly in terms of intent, tempo and closing down.

Unlike many I thought Hoilett was excellent until he inevitably ran out of steam and Hendrick kept making 3rd man runs which we missed on several occasions.

It's so difficult to try to be progressive when you've spent most of the season chasing shadows without the ball and aimlessly lumping it in the general direction of a striker on the rare occasions we do have it.

All may not be lost but it feels like it is. However what I saw today was, for the most part, a team that was more lacking in confidence as much as lacking in ability.

Really? I thought we were dreadful. Played a bit better second half after the subs. Barely mustered an effort on goal first half. Certainly not of note.

I thought we were better against Luton and Burnley than that (though not great in them either but more energy and structure)

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Apr 2023 18:40

Just heard Noel Hunts interview. I'll be honest, I don't want him near the first team. I have no idea what game he was watching but to say we could have been 5-0 up at half time.
His selection today was pants....A burnt out Long on the wing was a terrible decision. I have no idea what his tactics were today but god knows how anyone thinks we will get anything at Huddersfield with him in charge. Another bloke who doesn't know how to use subs....

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Apr 2023 18:42

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy Still can't believe fans are happy with a draw against a dog shit Wigan side

Who is happy?

Read page 8?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Apr 2023 18:43

Ascotexgunner Just heard Noel Hunts interview. I'll be honest, I don't want him near the first team. I have no idea what game he was watching but to say we could have been 5-0 up at half time.
His selection today was pants....A burnt out Long on the wing was a terrible decision. I have no idea what his tactics were today but god knows how anyone thinks we will get anything at Huddersfield with him in charge. Another bloke who doesn't know how to use subs....

Still a legend for me but I don't think I want him in charge next season either. I'd rather give it to someone like Murty if we're going down the club legend route.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Apr 2023 18:46

Hound
Vision Honestly thought the first half was the best we've played in a while , certainly in terms of intent, tempo and closing down.

Unlike many I thought Hoilett was excellent until he inevitably ran out of steam and Hendrick kept making 3rd man runs which we missed on several occasions.

It's so difficult to try to be progressive when you've spent most of the season chasing shadows without the ball and aimlessly lumping it in the general direction of a striker on the rare occasions we do have it.

All may not be lost but it feels like it is. However what I saw today was, for the most part, a team that was more lacking in confidence as much as lacking in ability.

Really? I thought we were dreadful. Played a bit better second half after the subs. Barely mustered an effort on goal first half. Certainly not of note.

I thought we were better against Luton and Burnley than that (though not great in them either but more energy and structure)

The first 10 minutes of the 2nd half against Luton aside, I'd definitely not agree with you ;-)

We were closing down high up the pitch. That hasn't happened for ages. We got men forward (even if we overhit the pass that would have got us in on goal) way more than in recent times.

Hoilett, McIntyre and Yiadom all very good in my opinion.

Casadei, Joao and McIntyre all had more than decent chances. I'm not saying we were great but i think we at least tried to play on the "front foot"

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Apr 2023 18:47

Royal_jimmy
Ascotexgunner Just heard Noel Hunts interview. I'll be honest, I don't want him near the first team. I have no idea what game he was watching but to say we could have been 5-0 up at half time.

Still a legend for me but I don't think I want him in charge next season either. I'd rather give it to someone like Murty if we're going down the club legend route.

Of course he's a legend but he just isn't cut out for management at this level.
Personally I want a proven manage.
No newbies,
No foreign managers who have never managed in England,
Someone we have heard of,
Someone who has achieved something.
No club legends....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 18:49

Vision
Hound

The first 10 minutes of the 2nd half against Luton aside, I'd definitely not agree with you ;-)

We were closing down high up the pitch. That hasn't happened for ages. We got men forward (even if we overhit the pass that would have got us in on goal) way more than in recent times.

Casadei, Joao and McIntyre all had more than decent chances. I'm not saying we were great but i think we at least tried to play on the "front foot"

Midfield was often awol and my did we lack quality, but yeah... its the first time in forever I've seen us 'dominate' an opponent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 18:51

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal

Who is happy?

Read page 8?

I did. And I just did it again. You're hallucinating.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Apr 2023 19:17

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Still think we might salvage it but we certainly don’t deserve to.

We failed to beat a poor Wigan side at home where we have some semblance of form.

We have to beat a Huddersfield side who've lost just 1 in 6, away where we are utterly abject.

It's done. It's been done for a while.

Yeah probs, it’s the hope that kills you.

under the tin

by under the tin » 29 Apr 2023 19:27

Been a long time coming.
The whole club has been managed dreadfully, on and off the pitch, for the best part of ten years now.
Hopefully, the Great Reset in Division 3 is upon us now.
If Bowen has still got a job next season (which given our track record of late, is highly unlikely, given our latter day hire and fire mentality), then he must get a proper, experienced team manager on board who will be given *all* the time necessary to develop a distinctive playing style. This must be the policy across all the club's teams moving forward.

Only this approach will allow academy/youth team players to graduate seamlessly into the first X1 moving forward.
It will also make things easier in terms of recruiting players (not necessarily expensive ones) who will fit into our system (the right DNA).
If we learnt anything with the 106 team, it showed us that the whole was greater than the sum of the parts, proof positive It can be done on a sensible budget.
Our club's long term viability is not worth sacrificing to pay the inflated wages of the Aluko's and Joao's of this world.

I just wish that I could trust our Chinese owners to sanction this type of approach.
I'm not holding my breath
URZZ RTID

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 19:30

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Still think we might salvage it but we certainly don’t deserve to.

We failed to beat a poor Wigan side at home where we have some semblance of form.

We have to beat a Huddersfield side who've lost just 1 in 6, away where we are utterly abject.

It's done. It's been done for a while.

Yeah probs, it’s the hope that kills you.

Hope left Snowflake towers a long time ago. :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2023 19:38

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Hound

Midfield was often awol and my did we lack quality, but yeah... its the first time in forever I've seen us 'dominate' an opponent.

I think that says far more about the opponent than us tbh

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 19:52

Yes

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 21:05

Bugger me, I remember why I stopped going to the stadium. 12 hour day, 20k steps, £55 for the train and a drab draw against Wigan.

Or 2 hours watching the game from home for half the ticket price.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Apr 2023 21:47

Dai and Kia were there today, both left 10 minutes before the end.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2023 21:51

windermereROYAL Dai and Kia were there today, both left 10 minutes before the end.

Was tempted to do the same tbh

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2023 21:51

Snowflake Royal Bugger me, I remember why I stopped going to the stadium. 12 hour day, 20k steps, £55 for the train and a drab draw against Wigan.

That was one of the more entertaining games this season :)

Where did you sit - 1871?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2023 22:26

Hound
Snowflake Royal Bugger me, I remember why I stopped going to the stadium. 12 hour day, 20k steps, £55 for the train and a drab draw against Wigan.

Yeah, stood in 1871.

I also hate not knowing all the songs and not being able to remember / work out the words.

Prefer the view from the side near the halfway line, but not the sitting quietly surrounded by moaning arses. All about the atmosphere.

For a 'sell out' lots of empty seats around the ground.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Apr 2023 22:32

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Yeah, stood in 1871.

I also hate not knowing all the songs and not being able to remember / work out the words.

Prefer the view from the side near the halfway line, but not the sitting quietly surrounded by moaning arses. All about the atmosphere.

For a 'sell out' lots of empty seats around the ground.

Sitting in Y20 I find it very noticeable that c1871 sing more modern songs while the drummer group in the NE tend to start off the old school chants.

183 posts