Pauno out

3542 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pauno out

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2022 15:32

Snowflake Royal
Hound Tbf there was a lot of anti Bowen sentiment on here, but I think he had a clear plan and I for one was annoyed when he got the boot. Looks a big mistake now

Oh how we could do with some of his desire to make playing against us unpleasant.

In Pauno's defence, he's made watching us extremely unpleasant.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Jan 2022 16:26

Bowen was definitely better than Pauno. Pauno is as bad as Gomes and Clement. Only prefer him to Stam as the football we play is a bit less shit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2022 16:37

Actually thought Clement had us on an improving path

He inherited an absolute mess (and didn’t help it by then signing some more expensive injury prone players) but I did feel we were going in the right direction at the time

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Jan 2022 16:39

Hound Actually thought Clement had us on an improving path

He inherited an absolute mess (and didn’t help it by then signing some more expensive injury prone players) but I did feel we were going in the right direction at the time

Sam BaLOLdock

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Jan 2022 17:01

I’ve read some absolute nonsense on Twitter about how the Dais have been clearing up the mess they inherited.

Might be me having a short memory, but from what I recall, the Thais inherited an absolute mess, and did a relatively good job. I wasn’t happy with the Brian sacking at the time though as it was clear that squad needed a complete reset. They made some mistakes (club anthem for example) but the intentions were right & I had some faith in their stewardship.

When the Dais took over, we weren’t in that bad a situation, much better than we are now. Not firing Stam early enough was detrimental. I feel his comments did a lot of harm to the fanbase, many who haven’t returned after he publicly criticised us.

An interesting poll would be which action has done us the most damage contributing to our decline.

Obviously Gourlay was a big issue, but that was all under Dai’s watch. And transfer/contract decisions haven’t been much better since. Not maximising income on players can’t be thrown at Gourlay as Dai pulled the plug on both Moore & Loader.

The Bowen sacking was another nail in the coffin. I feel a lot of anger towards the Dais…some may be misplaced, maybe it’s just my interpretation of some of the decision-making. But I told them fully responsible for our current financial situation. And have no faith they will sort out the issues

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Jan 2022 17:01

I’ve read some absolute nonsense on Twitter about how the Dais have been clearing up the mess they inherited.

Might be me having a short memory, but from what I recall, the Thais inherited an absolute mess, and did a relatively good job. I wasn’t happy with the Brian sacking at the time though as it was clear that squad needed a complete reset. They made some mistakes (club anthem for example) but the intentions were right & I had some faith in their stewardship.

When the Dais took over, we weren’t in that bad a situation, much better than we are now. Not firing Stam early enough was detrimental. I feel his comments did a lot of harm to the fanbase, many who haven’t returned after he publicly criticised us.

An interesting poll would be which action has done us the most damage contributing to our decline.

Obviously Gourlay was a big issue, but that was all under Dai’s watch. And transfer/contract decisions haven’t been much better since. Not maximising income on players can’t be thrown at Gourlay as Dai pulled the plug on both Moore & Loader.

The Bowen sacking was another nail in the coffin. I feel a lot of anger towards the Dais…some may be misplaced, maybe it’s just my interpretation of some of the decision-making. But I told them fully responsible for our current financial situation. And have no faith they will sort out the issues

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2022 17:34

He made some positive changes, and I think he should have had a bit more time. A lot went wrong or failed though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2022 18:04

Snowflake Royal

He made some positive changes, and I think he should have had a bit more time. A lot went wrong or failed though.

Yep fair. He wasn't 'good' by any stretch of the imagination but did think we were turning a corner. Very slowly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2022 18:40

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Yep fair. He wasn't 'good' by any stretch of the imagination but did think we were turning a corner. Very slowly.

He at least knew what to try to do. Which you can't really say was true for Gomes and probably Pauno. Stam knew what he wanted to do I suppose, it was just bollox.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2022 18:50

I didn’t really see that improvement and felt he needed to go. The players were pretty scathing about not understanding what he was trying to implement. I couldn’t fault his honesty in post match interviews. He just told it as it was

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 09 Jan 2022 21:15

Notts Royal I’ve read some absolute nonsense on Twitter about how the Dais have been clearing up the mess they inherited.

It’s the people the Dai’s have running the club that are the issue. There certainly not an innocent party but I believe they are getting some very bad advice. It doesn’t matter who the manager is until these people are gone we are going to be in the same position or worse. It’s no coincidence we keep repeating the same cycle with managers.

We all know about what Kia is doing to the club and it’s why no British based manager is interested in joining Reading as it’s well know the mess they will inherit.

John MacBeath is another name who you won’t see on the payroll as he is on the board of directors and Man City. Some believe he is running the club into the ground so investors can buy the club on the cheap. That’s how bad some of the decisions have been.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2022 21:20

The Dai's failed a fit and proper persons test when wanting to buy Hull City before they eventually took the reigns with ourselves. Even when that happened, it was met with caution as well. I still don't know who made the decision to push this through, but it's been a disaster since minute one with so little benefit.

Reading should be an absolutely wonderful place to play football. Good location, excellent facilities, youth development should be centred around our club as we churn out more than enough talent for the level we are at and it should be a good place to come and watch football. The ground is very good, great location, easily accessible straight off the M4, the fans (ourselves) have been great for years despite all the uncertainty since our PL relegation but yet, for whatever reason, none of that theory is a reality other than the facilities.

I've just put on another thread about Pauno's replacement but I'll say it again, why would any manager want to come here and why would any of the 40+ players want to renew their contracts at the club?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2022 21:52

Getthebeerens
Notts Royal I’ve read some absolute nonsense on Twitter about how the Dais have been clearing up the mess they inherited.

It’s the people the Dai’s have running the club that are the issue. There certainly not an innocent party but I believe they are getting some very bad advice. It doesn’t matter who the manager is until these people are gone we are going to be in the same position or worse. It’s no coincidence we keep repeating the same cycle with managers.

We all know about what Kia is doing to the club and it’s why no British based manager is interested in joining Reading as it’s well know the mess they will inherit.

John MacBeath is another name who you won’t see on the payroll as he is on the board of directors and Man City. Some believe he is running the club into the ground so investors can buy the club on the cheap. That’s how bad some of the decisions have been.

:| They appointed and sacked Gourlay. They moved Howe out. They oxf*rd over Bowen. They appointed the current CEO. They refused the Moore etc transfers.

This is bullshit. Kia Jorabchian does not run the club. They do. They choose to have a relationship with him. They make the really really shitty decisions.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2022 23:37

Snowflake Royal
Getthebeerens

:| They appointed and sacked Gourlay. They moved Howe out. They oxf*rd over Bowen. They appointed the current CEO. They refused the Moore etc transfers.

This is bullshit. Kia Jorabchian does not run the club. They do. They choose to have a relationship with him. They make the really really shitty decisions.

You can tell you’re not an executive.

They entrust people to run the club and as he says they’re fcuking up. And as he also says the Dais are ultimately responsible.

Not sure why you’re being all Ian Royal about what he said.

Oh hold on….

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 09 Jan 2022 23:49

Not sure I really understand the hate for the owners.

You might look and say that we should have sold X or shouldn't have bought Y, but at the time those decisions did not necessarily seem like bad ones.

The owners have shown they have the funds and willingness to spend. I actually think they've just been a little naive to the number of money-hungry vultures in UK football.

The bones of the 05/06 side we're laid down by pardew and brought together by SSC over 6/7 years. Difficult to see any manager at any club getting long enough to do that these days

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2022 01:01

Hound
Zip
Hound Tbf there was a lot of anti Bowen sentiment on here, but I think he had a clear plan and I for one was annoyed when he got the boot. Looks a big mistake now

He wasn’t scared to drop big characters. It’s clear he wanted Moore out and had that happened it would have saved the club a lot of money. I get the impression Pauno wouldn’t have the balls to drop him.

And brought in arguably our best signing of the last 3 years or so. Right idea - young hungry lower league players

I maintain he deserved a chance to have a full season with us as he’d helped stabilise us after what was an awful start under Gomes and the signing of Laurent was seemingly a step in the right direction, in terms of characters within the group. The desire Bowen instilled in the group in the first couple of months was refreshing but we were pretty much consistently awful from January onwards barring the odd game here and there

21 points from his last 21 league games (IIRC post contract extension too) I.e. relegation form. Some absolute dire performances within that selection (Hull, Bristol, Millwall, WBA, Wigan, Brentford, Swansea all spring to mind), a lot of them being home games too. The hunger and desire initially instilled was gone and the football was directionless towards the end of his reign

Obviously he was dealt an awful hand with such a bloated squad (around 28 first team players?) and as a result, it would have been very hard to keep a positive dressing room (rumours that he’d fell out with a couple of big players)

I do think it’s hard to tell how we’d have done keeping Bowen given how poor the second half of the season was but it was his first (and only?) managerial gig and it was a difficult set of players to manage so agree he should have been afforded more time

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2022 01:05

Zip

I didn’t really see that improvement and felt he needed to go. The players were pretty scathing about not understanding what he was trying to implement. I couldn’t fault his honesty in post match interviews. He just told it as it was

Wrong man with the right plan? Good coach by all accounts but not imposing enough as the leader

I did see some improvements but they were incremental. One loss in the last five games (much better compared to previous blocks) and even that was a 1-0 defeat to top of the table with McNulty missing a last minute penalty

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2022 01:22

Jagermesiter1871
The Green Programme I think we need a reality check.

We have a mass of injuries.

If our squad was at full strength, we’d be competing for the play offs even with a six point deduction.

Pauno has done very well on the whole with a devastated squad and no money.

He has brought in and developed youngsters and has without doubt motivated the likes of Drinkwater and Carroll and Rahman and Dann and Halilovic, all of whom have shown real commitment and definitely more commitment than many previous loans and free transfers.

I thought that West Brom away was going to be a tough one; possibly a heavy defeat; they are a strong, aggressive, team that are highly motivated.

They are one of the best three teams in the league.

We had our best creative players missing and our two top strikers missing all season; our two best defensive midfielders missing; our first choice right back missing etc..,

We could’ve nicked a point. We lost to a single goal and had two very good chances to equalise and didn’t take them.

Let’s get a grip….

Hughton et al, reallly???

I literally feel physically sick at the thought of the dreariness of it all; reminds of Gourlay/Clement…. And that really was a dreadful, dreadful period of our history which haunts us today…

Finally some sense!

There’s a fair amount to pick up on here. COVID and injuries have decimated plenty of squads, not just ours. It’s a common theme in football dealing with adversities (but our manager seemingly can’t). It’s also impossible to say how well a full strength team would do (also considering the full strength squad won one game in 11 at the back end of last season)

This “devastated” squad contains players of an international standard, players that have played in the Champions League (and Prem) and players touted for a move to the Prem. Sure, in the case of Dann, Drinkwater, Carroll etc, it’s evident they’re not as good as they used to be but still more than good enough to be fighting at the lower end of the Championship

I don’t particularly see a committed side, I see a side that crumble and lose leads on a regular basis (and also a side that consistently conceded quick fire goals)

I’m also not sure why you were expecting a heavy defeat at West Brom considering they’ve scored just 6 goals in their last 11 league games, winning just 3 in the process. They also had more injury/COVID cases than us if we go back to that excuse. They battered us from the get go so not sure we “could’ve” got a point, would have been daylight robbery

I think you’re off the mark telling people to get a grip whilst basing your response on things that “could” and “should” have happened

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 10 Jan 2022 02:58

Let's be honest, should Pauno be sacked then his replacement is more likely to be someone already on the Dai's or Kia's books so let's not get our hopes up.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 10 Jan 2022 08:50

Football is a competitive sport.

No decisions guarantee success.

There are very few Clubs who win things or get promoted.

We have had big success and also flirted with success for almost 30 years.

Our fan base has shown itself to be just a little fickle. 20,000 plus when really successful; 12 to 14,000 with moderate or no success.

We are a small Club with no right to success.

Clement was way out of his depth; every interview demonstrated this.

Gomes was a breath of fresh air but had very little substance; and Brian (Part 2) and Bowen proved them selves to be unable to produce the kind of speedy, significant success that Stam almost achieved.

Gourlay and the signings made at that time were terrible for the Club.

In fact all the big money signings that the Club has made down the years have been proven to be flawed.

Even Lita (big money at the time) was the least consistent of the dream trio of Lita, Kitson and Doyle.

Our success has been built upon hungry, young, talented, ambitious players; on their way to the Premier League; scouting and developing combined with one or two hard, experienced, fit, aggressive campaigners.

And a wise, positive, passionate, supportive coach (Pardew, Brian and SC).

Paying Moore huge sums and keeping Loader and buying Aluko and Puscas and Joao; all overpriced and flawed; were decisions based on agents’ advice, ego and public image rather than strategy and wisdom.

I think for the time being we must stick with Pauno and then completely reset everything in the summer.

And then have a sustainable plan over the next few years; around an ‘Ainsworth’ type (or indeed Ainsworth himself); passion, hunger, drive and competitiveness.

And our support needs to get back to 15 to 20,000.

The club assets and the owners have financed the Club for a decade whilst the fan base has dwindled.

And as fans we continue to demand more from less and less.

We may escape relegation this season but wholesale change must take place in the Summer otherwise, we shall drop to League One which is where our resources and our current fan base numbers would be more at home.

Saturday was a shambles.

3542 posts