MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

183 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

by CountryRoyal » 29 Apr 2023 22:56

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal We failed to beat a poor Wigan side at home where we have some semblance of form.

We have to beat a Huddersfield side who've lost just 1 in 6, away where we are utterly abject.

It's done. It's been done for a while.

Yeah probs, it’s the hope that kills you.

Hope left Snowflake towers a long time ago. :)

I’ve mostly been recovering last few months so haven’t been as unfortunate as all you lot who’ve had to endure this every week.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Apr 2023 22:58

Vision Honestly thought the first half was the best we've played in a while , certainly in terms of intent, tempo and closing down.

Unlike many I thought Hoilett was excellent until he inevitably ran out of steam and Hendrick kept making 3rd man runs which we missed on several occasions.

It's so difficult to try to be progressive when you've spent most of the season chasing shadows without the ball and aimlessly lumping it in the general direction of a striker on the rare occasions we do have it.

All may not be lost but it feels like it is. However what I saw today was, for the most part, a team that was more lacking in confidence as much as lacking in ability.

I agree and fair play to Noel Hunt who has had the players fighting. There's that but we really do look like a midtable league one team. This is the worst Reading side I remember since 1999

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Apr 2023 23:03

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound The effort was there but we have no quality. Azeez showed flashes but he was inexplicably on the bench

Thought Hunt got it very wrong. Poor team selection, Hoilett and Long both absolute passengers. Had flashes in the second half but obvs conceded just as it looked like we might grab the lead

Subs were poor (should have brought Hoilett off a lot earlier, and Mbengue for NGW? Bizarre)

Hendrick sums this side up. Works hard, runs around, clearly cares but is just not up to standard

Fornah was exceptionally bad wben be came on.

Deserve to go down to be fair. That’s our level

Hendrick was absolutely dreadful. When he wasn't hiding at RW to avoid his midfield responsibility he was second to every ball in behind, passing out of play and blazing into orbit. Absolute arseclown.

NGW was making quite a few mistakes before coming off, and may have been one of those not tracking for the goal so I get that.

Azeez looked poor with the odd flash. Hoilett obviously wasn't fit. Casadei tried, we gave Joao almost nothing. Yiadom put a huge shift in. Sarr and Holmes were ok but so often given absolutely zero option to pass out. Lumley did fairly well.

That cross from Fornah. :roll:

The Toms looked bereft at the end.

NGW’s crossing and long throws looked our best route to score - and we were 1 down

Hendrick was absolutely all over the place and not in a good way. He seemed to be centre forward half the time. Like some over enthusiastic u10 player. I really won’t miss him despite having respect for his effort etc

Thought Azeez did pretty well considering the situation and being shifted about. Almost scored a nice goal, decent cross for Casadei at the end as well.

I like Casadei but stuff just doesn’t seem to come off for him very often. He’ll be a good player though

Correct on yiadom, he had a good day

Sadly NGW showed why Wimbledon fans were happy to bin him despite his age. He may become a great player for us and I see his potential but right now he's nothing more than a poor lower league player

183 posts