Pauno out

3542 posts
McDermolenko

Re: Pauno out

by McDermolenko » 12 Jan 2022 13:46

Coming up to 2pm and he’s still not been sacked.

Genuine question, if he is not sacked now when will he be?!

‘Losing to and being absolutely outplayed by sixth tier Kidderminster before a walloping off Fulham is one thing, but losing to Middlesbrough, that’s taking the biscuit!’ said no-one ever.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jan 2022 13:54

YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT 7-0 loss at home should be the final straw. I can't believe it's 1pm the next day and no sign he's been shown the door.

In 27 years watching my beloved home town club, I've never known things to be this bad.

Crap manager after crap manager, financially in trouble, as a club we have zero assets which should frighten every one, we don't hire scouts any more to save money, yet throw money at a parasite like Kia to bring over-paid garbage from abroad, the fans have zero relationship with the owner or CEO, there's a total disconnect from the players, and the fans have fallen away in their tens of thousands.

Our result used to make or break my entire week. Now I can't bring myself to go to a game, and I barely shrug my shoulders when we lose yet another game. The passion for the club has gone and I miss it, but also no longer miss it. I don't know how I find my way back to wanting to be at games. I'm not sure I will now. Gone are the days I'd joyfully sit in the car 4 hours to games and home again, and throw in an hour sat in the car park listening to Ady summarise the game.

It's desperately sad to think others feel the same.

We need the owner to tell us his plan and his vision for starters.
Secondly we need a passionate British manager who can galvanise the team and bring through the youth, and then hark back to the 00's when we signed young hungry players from L1, L2 and even the likes of Antonio from lower down the pyramid.
And start reaching out to fans to bring us all together again. We need to desperately reconnect, otherwise everything SJM worked for and that we dreamed of and realised for a time, will be wasted.

Agree with everything other than the British manager part. Not that I disagree with the reasoning, but they don't have to be British for this to happen.

I certainly agree with the fact it's 1:30pm and we still haven't received word that he has been sacked yet, surely he hasn't taken training today?

No training today. Unless they've been dragged in after that shitshow last night.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 13:56

Pepe the Horseman No training today.

So nothing's changed then.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Jan 2022 13:56

McDermolenko "that’s taking the biscuit!’ said no-one ever.

Unless you were buying a copy, back in the good old days ;)

Last edited by Uke on 12 Jan 2022 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 12 Jan 2022 13:58

PATRIQT 7-0 loss at home should be the final straw. I can't believe it's 1pm the next day and no sign he's been shown the door.

In 27 years watching my beloved home town club, I've never known things to be this bad.

Crap manager after crap manager, financially in trouble, as a club we have zero assets which should frighten every one, we don't hire scouts any more to save money, yet throw money at a parasite like Kia to bring over-paid garbage from abroad, the fans have zero relationship with the owner or CEO, there's a total disconnect from the players, and the fans have fallen away in their tens of thousands.

Our result used to make or break my entire week. Now I can't bring myself to go to a game, and I barely shrug my shoulders when we lose yet another game. The passion for the club has gone and I miss it, but also no longer miss it. I don't know how I find my way back to wanting to be at games. I'm not sure I will now. Gone are the days I'd joyfully sit in the car 4 hours to games and home again, and throw in an hour sat in the car park listening to Ady summarise the game.

We need the owner to tell us his plan and his vision for starters.
Secondly we need a passionate British manager who can galvanise the team and bring through the youth, and then hark back to the 00's when we signed young hungry players from L1, L2 and even the likes of Antonio from lower down the pyramid.
And start reaching out to fans to bring us all together again. We need to desperately reconnect, otherwise everything SJM worked for and that we dreamed of and realised for a time, will be wasted.

This !!!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Jan 2022 14:01

SouthDownsRoyal

Top post, could t agree more

Yes good post. Couldn't even bring myself to pay to watch it on RoyalsTV last night. Why? Because I knew we would lose and every game I've watched recently leaves me angry and frustrated. I don't need that sort of baggage around me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2022 14:12

McDermolenko Coming up to 2pm and he’s still not been sacked.

Genuine question, if he is not sacked now when will he be?!

‘Losing to and being absolutely outplayed by sixth tier Kidderminster before a walloping off Fulham is one thing, but losing to Middlesbrough, that’s taking the biscuit!’ said no-one ever.

Perhaps if the owners had spent money on researching to find and appoint the best quality manager they could instead spending it on signing loads of players who didn’t fit whatever system the club plays and/or were continually injured the club wouldn’t be so much in the mess it is now. But no! They jump from one unknown, and presumably cheap, “experiment” to another so all this is no surprise really.

Think we were told this by Chicago Fire fans when he was appointed, VP’s issues tend to be a team that plays slow tempo games and a fixation over 4-2-3-1 and what do we see nearly every game?

To be honest I don’t know where we go know. Personally I think enough is enough and, if nothing else, the club should make the change to try and break the dynamic as player confidence must be through the floor and a lot of fans now are completely apathetic at best if not actively wanting each game to turn into a bit of a shambles.

As to who comes in, I can only suggest looking for a stopgap, offering them terms to the end of the season with a bonus on keeping the club up. Hopefully there’s someone out there with the confidence that they can do it. Then use the remainder of the season to look for the right manager to take the club forward next season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Jan 2022 14:14

Getthebeerens If Pauno is not sacked before the Boro game then I am starting to get concerned that the owners have checked out and we are heading the same way as there other clubs.

Owners have dug themselves a very large hole. With the CEO being little more their puppet and no substantive management presence in the UK. Operating the club from China is nigh impossible. No one left on board who is capable of managing the team or making football related decisions on an interim basis.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Jan 2022 14:17

The more I listened to Brian McDermott this morning, the more I realised that the DOF is crucial now for how we progress. It's not just about the manager. If Paunovic is staying, he needs help. The people above are clueless.
McDermott for me sounded hungry and desperate to help.
I would appoint him like a shot. He has the connections and experience.
Big up for Simon Cox as well. Best opinion I've heard in his interview. He called out the fake oligarch and Gourley. Top bloke.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Jan 2022 14:22

Ascotexgunner The more I listened to Brian McDermott this morning, the more I realised that the DOF is crucial now for how we progress. It's not just about the manager. If Paunovic is staying, he needs help. The people above are clueless.
Big up for Simon Cox as well. Best opinion I've heard in his interview. He called out the fake oligarch and Gourley. Top bloke.

Don't do that to me, don't give me hope.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2022 14:23

Ascotexgunner The more I listened to Brian McDermott this morning, the more I realised that the DOF is crucial now for how we progress. It's not just about the manager. If Paunovic is staying, he needs help. The people above are clueless.

+1000000

Brian I would have back for a third time. You know what you get and you know his teams fight to the end. Quite possibly one of the better choices if relegated too.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Jan 2022 14:25

YorkshireRoyal99
Elm Park Kid TBF to the owners - if they're spending the day making sure that all the necessary due diligence is done with the firing then whether the press release is made at 1pm or 6pm doesn't make any difference. Would be a complete joke of a club that does things badly just so it can placate a few people on the interest asap.

I do agree however you'd still feel that someone somewhere would be getting word of what is happening, if anything is happening. I haven't even heard a single thing on this yet and surely he can't be staying longer than today?

It's far better than the owners inform him, his staff, players and everyone it impacts before they hear it from the press/internet. It might just be a case of decent media management for once.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 12 Jan 2022 15:23

Sutekh

+1000000

Brian I would have back for a third time. You know what you get and you know his teams fight to the end. Quite possibly one of the better choices if relegated too.

Hear hear.

I must admit that BM frustrated me in his last spell, as his football just can't cut it in the top flight, but we are a million miles from the PL now and he would be absolutely perfect for us - but I also agree we need a DOF who works like Hammond did; not poking his nose and always working closely with the manager on what he wants. BUT... I don't think that's possible while we rely on the parasite Kia for transfers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2022 16:25

YorkshireRoyal99
andrew1957
Sanguine Well, I think we were right to stick with him to this point, and my argument previously has been that I wasn't convinced that another manager would do better with our situation - but now I'll flip that around and say that a new manager couldn't possibly do any worse than our most recent results.

I don't have the bizarre spitting hatred of Paunovic that Ian obviously does. Clearly a good guy who has tried his best and for me has at times got the team playing very good, and effective, football. But injuries, finances and the rest has made it a really tough task to get a consistent tune from the team, and I think his time is now run.

If we could convince Steve Bruce to join us (clue, we can't) I'd be happy. Warnock, yeah I'd probably close my eyes, hold my breath, and support the guy. Alex Neil would be my preference, but I don't know why he'd join us.

Just not Pulis, Hughton or Monk, please.

Good post and pretty much sums up my thoughts. Just don’t see a way back for Pauno with the fans after the last 2 results. And the players seem to have stopped playing for him too. But I just don’t have any confidence in the owners selecting a better replacement. We are likely to end up with another overseas manager with zero Championship experience and that will almost certainly mean relegation.

It is very hard to find any positives at the moment.

Said this above, our last two foreign managers, Pauno and Gomes, achieved short-term success with the club, which is what we needed under Gomes to survive and also delivered our best season since the play off final under Stam in Pauno. Even Stam himself was a success.

You can argue that Bowen and Clement (in some aspects) have been our worst appointments and they aren't foreign either. I don't think it should be overlooked as that's where the bulk of our success has come from during the Dai's era, it's just it's on borrowed time and we end up back in the same situation. But what we do need right now is short-term success, half a dozen victories that should see us survive.

Bowen did far better than Gomes. Not only did he take us from similar shitness to safe, he took us to mid table. And wasn't permitted the time to crash and fail into a relegation fight the next season.

Clement is basically on a par with Gomes, he did what Gomes did after him, after Stam. And then performed badly the next season to a similar extent.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 16:27

These discussions bore me.

Basically debating who has been "a bit less shit" than whom. Bowen, Gomes, Pauno, Clement, Clarke, etc etc

Shit after shit after shit, let''s be honest.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Jan 2022 16:29

Yes it’s like saying baby spice was the least ugly spice girl

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Jan 2022 16:33

Millsy These discussions bore me.

Basically debating who has been "a bit less shit" than whom. Bowen, Gomes, Pauno, Clement, Clarke, etc etc

Shit after shit after shit, let''s be honest.

It doesn’t get much better when you move away from the managerial front and look elsewhere within the club to portion blame.

Fact is, no matter which way you look at it, by and large it’s been pretty miserable for a long time.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jan 2022 16:35

Yep good post. There is no doubt Pauno has been dealt a very poor hand with what appears to be precious little support. Quite why we don’t have a DoF is beyond me. He badly needs help if he is to stay.

Pauno is also fronting all the criticism with the owners nowhere to be seen. On one hand I feel very sorry for him. On the other I just don’t think he is up to it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Jan 2022 16:37

PATRIQT
Sutekh

+1000000

I must admit that BM frustrated me in his last spell,

Six months with an inherited squad full of loanees. No chance (just like Bowen) to put his mark on the squad. Looking back that's when it all started going awry and the club losing it's identity. Money doesn't buy success as Manure are now experiencing. Trippier on a £100k a week at Newcastle. No longer a sport but a billionaires plaything.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jan 2022 16:49

I have never known the anger expressed by every Reading fan I talked to last night having walked out when the fourth went in.

We usually have a pretty passive fan base. Last night everyone I spoke to without exception.....around twenty people were livid. Everyone wanted Pauno out. One idiot blamed him for the loss of Academy players last season which was absurd. I was disagreeing with him on the bus about that. He was seething.

I am very surprised he is still in post. I cannot see him turning things around and expect another heavy defeat at the weekend.

I have felt for a while we were a club on the way down and unless we are able to somehow strengthen in the next few weeks just don’t see how we will stay up.

Sad times.

3542 posts