Back from the Game - Barnsley

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Barnsley

by Jackson Corner » 25 Sep 2010 19:41

I don't now what sort of crowd you expected? On the back of a poor showing at Boro against one of the worst away supports in this league and with a far more atarctive game on Tuesday. Just under 15k is a decent turn out. QPR would be happy with that.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Sep 2010 19:45

under 14k at the fakies

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Sep 2010 19:51

15 thousand and we still made some decent noise.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Sep 2010 19:51

Apart from the result I thought we were pretty poor.

It was good to Kishanishvili back in the team and we rarely looked troubled apart from on the break, although we were lucky not to go in at half time behind to a poor Barnsley side.

Kebe and McAnuff both did quite well, and Federici's important saves, one in each half, made up for the 3 or 4 times he fumbled the ball but got away with it.

We need more quality or to maintain this good fortune at home to stay above mid-table.

Poor decision for the red card too.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 25 Sep 2010 19:57

Cummings is growing in confidence following a run in the team. Had a very good game today, getting forward much more and usually with an end profduct. Only recall him givng the ball away once. Therre is obvioulsy a player in there somewhere.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Sep 2010 20:07

Hoop Blah Apart from the result I thought we were pretty poor...we were lucky not to go in at half time behind to a poor Barnsley side.

Unbelievable comments. You've gotta be taking the p1ss! Yes, they could have had one or two in the first half (and one or two in the second) but we could have had six more in each half. A couple of weak Long headers, Kishwillis's blast from 9 yards where somehow he missed the target, balls bobbing all over the 6 yard box like a game of pinball, a couple of dubious offsides when we could have been through from a lino who surely was born in Barnsley. That was the best Reading performance I've seen in a year, at least. 22/24 corners and 3-0 with ten men says it all. (Poor deliveries from dead balls in the first half - I'll admit that.)

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Sep 2010 20:14

Jackson Corner I don't now what sort of crowd you expected? On the back of a poor showing at Boro against one of the worst away supports in this league and with a far more atarctive game on Tuesday. Just under 15k is a decent turn out. QPR would be happy with that.

This.

Add to the fact the club has shown no ambition in the transfer market. What do people seriously expect?

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 25 Sep 2010 20:16

Good result and great last ten minutes.

Concerned again about our strikers though. Long and Church posed no threat at all to the Barnsley goal - we need at least one loan striker.

HRK changed the game and has done enough to earn a start on Tuesday night.

My team would be:

Feds

Cummings Mills Ivar/Pearce Harte

Armstrong Karacan

Kebe HRK Mcanuff

Hunt

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Sep 2010 20:24

Really pleased to see Armstrong back.
Kebe was quite brilliant-we bought him as a Premiership player and nowadays he really looks like one(let's hope he is not fast-tracked there in January).
Fed made important saves and how they contrived to miss that chance in the first half when they had 3 against our one I don't know.
That came about because Harte was taking yet another corner from the right and we were left totally exposed.
Harte's free-kick had goal all over it when Barnsley naiively let Hunt join the end of the wall but is it really necessary for him to trundle across and take corners on the right,none of which came to anything out of so many?
The bloke behind me was moaning all game about Harte's delivery and said "Just wait and see he'll score from a free-kick and everyone will go on about how good he is at set-pieces"-well said m8.
Good result because we did eventually do what we do well-score on the break.
Also Kish showed his normal calm and positional sense that we know has been missing and thank goodness he will miss just the one game-I didn't realise he had been booked already so was a bit surprised to see him shown red.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 25 Sep 2010 20:44

Not really sure why people care about the attendance. All I care about is me being there. It could be an empty stadium and I'd still enjoy watching us play.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Sep 2010 21:06

For me, being able to occupy my seat for the first time this season was a result in itself (with a young bloke called Doug now replacing the more mature Skyline in the seat next to me :P )

I couldn't agree with Mick Gooding's assessment of our performance prior to Kish's outrageous sending off. We were unlucky not to be 2 goals to the good by half time although I agree we wasted too many set pieces.

Barnsley, midtable like ourselves this morning, were simply dire, and if they are a fair example of this seasons average Championship side, in the months ahead there could be plenty of humble pie being forced down the throats of the Chairman Slaggers/Doom Mongers/ Boo Boys & Demonstrators who infest this forum like vultures around a rotting corpse.

If Cardiff and QPR are to run away with the automatic places, it seems certain to me that a club like ours will get the third spot that now enjoys the huge, guaranteed windfall of a year in the Prem plus four seasons of parachute payments.

At times it seemed like there might have been a whole division betwen these 2 teams and scoring 3 times whilst being a man down merely confirmed the gulf in class.

As I left the ground, I had to laugh at South Yorskhire voices suggesting 3-0 wasn't a fair reflection of the afternoons entertainment :P It should have been 6 or 7 and probably would have been had it not been for Barnsley's 2 extra men in the form of today's atrocious West Stand linesman and the man in charge (but he lost it long before half time :| ) of todays proceedings. If we needed any further proof of just how poor today's officials have become these 2 gentleman didn't let us down. And, we can be sure these dire performances have already been consigned to history :evil:

In Kebe and Kish we have 2 Premiership performers so I was delighted to see the latter finally get the start he deserved. He oozed class all afternoon. I thought his first yellow was harsh and the 2nd courtesy of one of the biggest idiots to ever run the line down the West stand. Jimmy, these days, operates from his own pedestal far above the mere mortals who inhabit the same pitch. Beyond that, Stretch made his long awaited return in the form of an accomplished performance in the centre of midfield (if Mr Angry had had that prediction on his betting slip he would have gone home with a few quid in his pocket :P) and Cummings continues to show that players can improve immeasurably in a short space of time and we have many fans who need to bear this in mind.

I was surprised by the 4-4-2 but wonder how much this had to do with the lack of options available to replace the suspended Howard, I would still like to see Jimmy given a go in the centre (and HRK's very impressive cameo can only increase the chances of this being tried) but I guess you can't everything :P

Wrist slitters please take note; Chairman Tight Wad's team are 7th this evening and, if he's dining out on some of that Gylphi dosh, not only would it be no more than he deserves, rest assured that McD has yet to spend all of his share.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 25 Sep 2010 21:26

Woodcote Royal For me, being able to occupy my seat for the first time this season was a result in itself (with a young bloke called Doug now replacing the more mature Skyline in the seat next to me :P )

I couldn't agree with Mick Gooding's assessment of our performance prior to Kish's outrageous sending off. We were unlucky not to be 2 goals to the good by half time although I agree we wasted too many set pieces.

Barnsley, midtable like ourselves this morning, were simply dire, and if they are a fair example of this seasons average Championship side, in the months ahead there could be plenty of humble pie being forced down the throats of the Chairman Slaggers/Doom Mongers/ Boo Boys & Demonstrators who infest this forum like vultures around a rotting corpse.

If Cardiff and QPR are to run away with the automatic places, it seems certain to me that a club like ours will get the third spot that now enjoys the huge, guaranteed windfall of a year in the Prem plus four seasons of parachute payments.

At times it seemed like there might have been a whole division betwen these 2 teams and scoring 3 times whilst being a man down merely confirmed the gulf in class.

As I left the ground, I had to laugh at South Yorskhire voices suggesting 3-0 wasn't a fair reflection of the afternoons entertainment :P It should have been 6 or 7 and probably would have been had it not been for Barnsley's 2 extra men in the form of today's atrocious West Stand linesman and the man in charge (but he lost it long before half time :| ) of todays proceedings. If we needed any further proof of just how poor today's officials have become these 2 gentleman didn't let us down. And, we can be sure these dire performances have already been consigned to history :evil:

In Kebe and Kish we have 2 Premiership performers so I was delighted to see the latter finally get the start he deserved. He oozed class all afternoon. I thought his first yellow was harsh and the 2nd courtesy of one of the biggest idiots to ever run the line down the West stand. Jimmy, these days, operates from his own pedestal far above the mere mortals who inhabit the same pitch. Beyond that, Stretch made his long awaited return in the form of an accomplished performance in the centre of midfield (if Mr Angry had had that prediction on his betting slip he would have gone home with a few quid in his pocket :P) and Cummings continues to show that players can improve immeasurably in a short space of time and we have many fans who need to bear this in mind.

I was surprised by the 4-4-2 but wonder how much this had to do with the lack of options available to replace the suspended Howard, I would still like to see Jimmy given a go in the centre (and HRK's very impressive cameo can only increase the chances of this being tried) but I guess you can't everything :P

Wrist slitters please take note; Chairman Tight Wad's team are 7th this evening and, if he's dining out on some of that Gylphi dosh, not only would it be no more than he deserves, rest assured that McD has yet to spend all of his share.

Spelt Gylfi wrong. :roll:

And this is a perfect example of unfounded optimism after one good result. Neither Long nor Church scored today, which concerns me.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Sep 2010 21:37

Whilst yours is a perfect example of the ignorance that has driven many from these pages

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 25 Sep 2010 21:53

Got to the game, just - Bl**dy Bracknell

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 25 Sep 2010 21:53

Isn't it great when justice is done at the end of the 90 minutes?; this Division is tough enough without having to play against an extra couple of Barnsley players who managed to be on the field of play wearing yellow this afternoon. A truly appalling display by the officials.

Barnsley came for the point; this was clear from the 2nd minute when their bench deliberately threw a spare ball onto the pitch to stop play. They were so devoid of ambition that only a break was ever going to trouble us - and Barnsley's utter ineptitude was encompassed in their total inability to convert a 3 on 1 break (with the 1 being Cummings) to even end with an attempt on goal. A total embarrasment.

We had so many half decent opportunities, the only surprises were that we hadn't scored after an hour, and that Ian Harte's set piece delivery was malfunctioning; clearly the plan at corners was for him to drop it onto Kebe's head at the near post and then snaffle the flick on, but it didn't work - even with 24 chances to perfect the tactic!

The turning point was the sending off; Kish gets fouled, there is some 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other type contact between him and the Barnsley forward to try and get the ball, ending with the single most theatrical dive seen since Martin Williams trod on the turf at the Mad Stad - if you haven't seen it on SSN yet, do, it is simply hilarious. But somehow the Yorkshireman running the line by the West Stand flags for a freekick against Kish, and the inevitable 2nd yellow. However, the decision galvanised Reading, and if anything it looked more and more like the extra player was wearing blue and white rather than red (or red and yellow).

HRK comes on and supplies a sublime cross for Kebe to thunder in a header; Ian harte buries a great free kick and HRK finishes with a run from inside our own half to score.

Everyone played well, though Church needs to watch the offsides; clearly, without Sigi, 442 is better for the available players as Long looked better today, and worked well with Church.

A hugely satisfying afternoon, only spoilt by Mills not scoring first!! :wink:

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 25 Sep 2010 22:00

Really great stuff. We had played OK, but didn't quite look like getting the goals our possession and Kebe deserved. The red card changed everything, as did the attacking substitution. Everybody contributed in some way today, especially Cummings and HRK, but Kebe was fantastic: the club have done well to keep him for at least the first half of this season.

I don't see how you can consider Hunt for a lone striker role at the moment, but playing HRK in a 5-man midfield might work well - he could be a better bet than Howard or Church for replacing Sigurdson.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 25 Sep 2010 22:04

Listen to Robin's interview on the bbc website. He was VERY disappointed in the performance...

He also said that we should have had another sent off and that Scunthorpe beat us 3-0 on the first day of the season. Well done Mark :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Sep 2010 22:15

Woodcote Royal
Wrist slitters please take note; Chairman Tight Wad's team are 7th this evening and, if he's dining out on some of that Gylphi dosh, not only would it be no more than he deserves,

Personally I think he deserves some salmonella to go with his meal! Plenty of shyte to match that he spouts about ambition:twisted: His credit ran out some time ago,he deserves no more *rse licking.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Sep 2010 22:28

Unless we find someone else to pour millions into this club, the day SJM's "credit" really does run out will be day you have something worth moan about.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Sep 2010 22:39

Bit of a strange game today, but delighted with the chances we created in the first half and pleased with 2 good goals in open play.

As mentioned before on here, Robon-Kanu changed the game for me, and another exciting prospect coming to fruition.

Many positives, and one big negative, i.e. Kishi and a match ban coming up. Look a more solid team with him in the side.

I will leave the final word with a Barnsley fan, and a quote from their site, could not say it better myself.

Dont know if he always plays like that but there No 14 Kaba I think was easly the best player on the pitch a class act