How good/bad was Phil Parkinson?

Still Hate Futcher!

Re: How good/bad was Phil Parkinson?

by Still Hate Futcher! » 17 Feb 2015 13:33

As most on here have suggested, Parky was the type of player every midfield needs. Would run all day and was fully committed in the tackle, though unlike other similar legends (Mick Tait, Terry Hurlock) wasn't a red card waiting to happen. He wasn't spectacular (apart from that Wolves goal) but was tidy enough with the ball and popped up with the odd goal. Deservedly a legend though still wouldn't make my all time Royals 11 as Micky Gooding was just slightly better when it comes to legendary ballwinners.

As for the Royals job, he's regularly linked with it on here but I guess his track record as a manager, though good, hasn't been successful enough for a club with Premier League ambitions.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 Feb 2015 13:45

Dr_Hfuhruhurr In answer to BF

To sum him up, he was never the best player, but for a long time he was probably the first name on the team sheet. Mainly because he was captain, but he had no competition for that role. He was, in short, absolutely everything you wanted from a lower league footballer and represented everything that is missing from the clicheed modern footballer. He's the anti-Guthrie if you like

a) He was a great captain
b) He seemed to love the club and stayed here for ages
c) He was way more valuable to us than any other club
d) He was absolutely honest in what he said all day long - you could trust him.
e) He interacted with the fans, both during and outside the matches
f) He was utterly reliable, particularly in games against physical opponents

My most relevant memory of Parky was during a play off six pointer with Man City under Tommy Burns. By that point we'd collected a whole team of the worst type of mercernaries - lower league, possibly alcoholic, mercernaries. Of course, we were awful that day, but Parky was head, shoulders, chest, waist and hips above everybody - only he understood that the fans in the stadium that day really wanted to see a result, and he bust a gut to do it. Ive never met him personally but you hear nothing but good things about him.

For Visiting Bradford Fans

The reason he doesnt get mentioned in our managerial searches is because there is a feeling that he made a bit of a meal of his time at Hull and Charlton and there is still a bit of a feeling that he's a lower league manager; and that contradicts the feeling at the club for us to stay Championship or better. Saying that, I also saw a Colchester game (Away to Oldham, I believe) and he was really in the middle of a purple patch, so he can have a really positive affect on a club. Although, I really hope he gets nothing out of the QF game, Id like to see him have another crack at the Championship with Bradford. Because if he was just inexperienced before and is a proper championship manager now, we'll have him when Clarke leaves, thank you very much. He has to prove it though.

took you a year and a half for your first post and you get a A* can you post more please

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 17 Feb 2015 13:52

Parky is a Reading legend. Although he was no way near technical or as skilful as say Danny Williams, he really is everything I want from another Reading player in the future. The only player who really has got as close is Graeme Murty. I would take Parkinson over any of our current midfield just for the blood and thrust he use to give in the centre of the park. I think we need that. Very few teams have had that sort of player as recently - I can only think of a couple at the moment (Ferguson & Everton; Adams & Arsenal) but they can really gel a team with their passion.

I am sure he was jumping up and down like a jack in the box when our name came out the hat after Bradford's as I am sure he loves this club and although I believe he will be genuinely hurting inside if he puts us out of the FA Cup, he is an honest professional and I don't expect him to do anything but rev his team up for the win.

Major Inconvenience

by Major Inconvenience » 17 Feb 2015 13:53

My lasting memory of Parky is him turning up to a HNA curry night, and having to fend of the attentions of a group of interspaz-mongtards, but not once threatening to break anyone's legs. Amazing scenes.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Feb 2015 13:54

Reading 4 Eva I believe he will be genuinely hurting inside if he puts us out of the FA Cup

You had to take it too far didn't you :|

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 17 Feb 2015 13:56

floyd__streete
Reading 4 Eva I believe he will be genuinely hurting inside if he puts us out of the FA Cup

You had to take it too far didn't you :|

I think he would be, but he is a professional. His team will be up for this, they want another day out at Wembley

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Feb 2015 14:12

WoodleyRoyal
Dr_Hfuhruhurr In answer to BF

To sum him up, he was never the best player, but for a long time he was probably the first name on the team sheet. Mainly because he was captain, but he had no competition for that role. He was, in short, absolutely everything you wanted from a lower league footballer and represented everything that is missing from the clicheed modern footballer. He's the anti-Guthrie if you like

a) He was a great captain
b) He seemed to love the club and stayed here for ages
c) He was way more valuable to us than any other club
d) He was absolutely honest in what he said all day long - you could trust him.
e) He interacted with the fans, both during and outside the matches
f) He was utterly reliable, particularly in games against physical opponents

My most relevant memory of Parky was during a play off six pointer with Man City under Tommy Burns. By that point we'd collected a whole team of the worst type of mercernaries - lower league, possibly alcoholic, mercernaries. Of course, we were awful that day, but Parky was head, shoulders, chest, waist and hips above everybody - only he understood that the fans in the stadium that day really wanted to see a result, and he bust a gut to do it. Ive never met him personally but you hear nothing but good things about him.

For Visiting Bradford Fans

The reason he doesnt get mentioned in our managerial searches is because there is a feeling that he made a bit of a meal of his time at Hull and Charlton and there is still a bit of a feeling that he's a lower league manager; and that contradicts the feeling at the club for us to stay Championship or better. Saying that, I also saw a Colchester game (Away to Oldham, I believe) and he was really in the middle of a purple patch, so he can have a really positive affect on a club. Although, I really hope he gets nothing out of the QF game, Id like to see him have another crack at the Championship with Bradford. Because if he was just inexperienced before and is a proper championship manager now, we'll have him when Clarke leaves, thank you very much. He has to prove it though.

took you a year and a half for your first post and you get a A* can you post more please

Dr H is revered poster from days of yore.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Feb 2015 14:22

Parky was before my time. Am I right in thinking he was a pre-Steve Sidwell version of Steve Sidwell?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Feb 2015 14:23

Parky always used to say hello to me at the top shops in Cav Park so he'll always be a legend in my eyes.

Karacan would probably spit on my shoes in the same scenario.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Feb 2015 14:32

Maguire Karacan would probably spit on my shoes in the same scenario.

#FLAMES

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2015 14:35

el_presidente He once gave me free tickets outside Gigg Lane.

Outside Boundary Park for me 8)

All in all a top whole bloke who gave 100% in every game for every ball, cared for the club and the community. No he wasn't the greatest technical player but you can't win or build anything with a team without players like Parky.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 17 Feb 2015 14:53

As mentioned before Parky was not graced with silky skills but was a hard tackling competitive grafter who lead by his giving 100% to the cause.Kind of player you definately want on your side.
Delivered a chicken Tikka Masala to him a few times back in the day and he was thoroughly decent bloke and gave a tip :)

One Richie Bowman

by One Richie Bowman » 17 Feb 2015 15:10

Parky was an honest player who gave 110% every single game, great captain and ambassador for the club and for that he will always be a Reading legend .... and for his trademark run out across the pitch at the start of each match. There have been many more skilful Reading players over the years but for me when I pay my money over to watch Reading I would rather trade a bit of skill for 100% effort, as nothing more frustrating than getting outfought in a match. As someone once said about watching Stuart Pearce when he pulled on an England shirt, you knew you would never be short changed. Same with Parky in a Reading Shirt. Probably why Jimmy Kebe will never be a Reading legend for me, as he had the skill to play in the premiership for most of his career but only put in a shift once every 5 or 10 games. Anyone ever see Parky lose the ball and not give every ounce of energy and effort to win the ball back because if so it wasn't in a game that I ever watched him play. Unlike the Jimmy who would often just stand around and pull a face when he lost the ball, in fact it was often too much of an effort to pull a face as that would mean he cared. That's the difference with Parky he cared every single match and was a great example to everyone who ever managed, played with or watched him regularly. Wouldn't make my best ever Reading 11 team in terms of ability but in terms of favourite ever Reading players wouldn't be far behind Richie Bowman, as he never left anything behind when he came off that pitch. Be interested to hear back if you have a top 11 Reading Players who you felt always gave everything every match? Don't think many would leave Parky off that list who watched him play.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Feb 2015 15:38

Maguire Parky always used to say hello to me at the top shops in Cav Park so he'll always be a legend in my eyes.

tbf you started it

One thing not mentioned in the "why does he not get mentioned as a potential Royals manager?" discussion is that, at least from my point of view, I'd hate it when things inevitably went the way of the pear and we felt we had to call for his head, I'm more than happy to enjoy his success as a manager vicariously* thank you very much

*but not in the next round of the FA cup, I'm not an idiot

Portsmouth Royal

by Portsmouth Royal » 17 Feb 2015 15:41

Parky was a proper 100% player. Not the most talented but ALWAYS busted a gut. Think he found his level as a top end 3rd tier player. Without a doubt in the 93/94 side we looked half the team when he wasn't playing (Cardiff away in our natty third strip was one such occasion from memory).

Other strong Parky memory is the little drag back which was his only trick, and one he used to pull out of the box every game without fail.

A Reading player from a time when I felt I could relate to them rather more as people.

As others have related, I wouldn't want to see him managing this club till he has the track record to show he earned it on merit...not memories.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 17 Feb 2015 15:41

One Richie Bowman Parky was an honest player who gave 110% every single game, great captain and ambassador for the club and for that he will always be a Reading legend .... and for his trademark run out across the pitch at the start of each match. There have been many more skilful Reading players over the years but for me when I pay my money over to watch Reading I would rather trade a bit of skill for 100% effort, as nothing more frustrating than getting outfought in a match. As someone once said about watching Stuart Pearce when he pulled on an England shirt, you knew you would never be short changed. Same with Parky in a Reading Shirt. Probably why Jimmy Kebe will never be a Reading legend for me, as he had the skill to play in the premiership for most of his career but only put in a shift once every 5 or 10 games. Anyone ever see Parky lose the ball and not give every ounce of energy and effort to win the ball back because if so it wasn't in a game that I ever watched him play. Unlike the Jimmy who would often just stand around and pull a face when he lost the ball, in fact it was often too much of an effort to pull a face as that would mean he cared. That's the difference with Parky he cared every single match and was a great example to everyone who ever managed, played with or watched him regularly. Wouldn't make my best ever Reading 11 team in terms of ability but in terms of favourite ever Reading players wouldn't be far behind Richie Bowman, as he never left anything behind when he came off that pitch. Be interested to hear back if you have a top 11 Reading Players who you felt always gave everything every match? Don't think many would leave Parky off that list who watched him play.

Completely agree. We had a couple in 1995 who wouldn't give up. Ady Williams, Scott Taylor, Dylan Kerr, Lee Nogan. Thats the main reason why it will still grate on me that we were robbed of the chance of seeing that team in the Premier League

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 17 Feb 2015 16:32

It wasn't just us supporters who held Parky in such high esteem, I remember Jeff Hopkins spending over £3,000 to fly himself and his family over from Australia for Parky's testimonial, and Jeff wasn't even playing!

It's also no coincidence that Bradford are a team of grafters, not afraid of anyone, who will keep going till the end........ remind you of anyone?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Feb 2015 16:51

Silver Fox
Maguire Parky always used to say hello to me at the top shops in Cav Park so he'll always be a legend in my eyes.

tbf you started it

One thing not mentioned in the "why does he not get mentioned as a potential Royals manager?" discussion is that, at least from my point of view, I'd hate it when things inevitably went the way of the pear and we felt we had to call for his head, I'm more than happy to enjoy his success as a manager vicariously* thank you very much

*but not in the next round of the FA cup, I'm not an idiot

Will you be posting the Parkinson song on here should Bradford knock you out? :lol:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Feb 2015 17:08

If only there was some sort of clue in the text you've quoted

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 17 Feb 2015 18:09

As a relatively young fan my love for Parky comes from being told by my old man that that's how I should be playing football on a Sunday morning. I can't really remember many individual performances but I remember being nudged by my dad whenever he won something he had no right to and that's always stuck with me.