CONFIRMED - Michael Hector to Chelsea

323 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Michael Hector to Palace

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2015 16:37

Recently made vice captain too....
Obviously clubs will sniff around good, young, English talent and obviously if stupid money is on offer deals will happen (unless you are Bristol City ). But would Palace pay the sort of money we'd ask for a player who probably is a year away from being good enough for regular Premiership football ? I suppose if they can get him cheaper now than in a year it would make sense....

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Aug 2015 17:12

It worked well when they signed Mariappa & Kebe from us for a decent fee - so might as well send Hector the same way.

Also, we will probably whack a couple of mil on too cos of the whole Glenn Murray saga - when Pards fcuked us over by keeping him there and not honouring the "option to buy" part of the loan.

jar95

by jar95 » 21 Aug 2015 17:15

Nameless Recently made vice captain too....
Obviously clubs will sniff around good, young, English talent and obviously if stupid money is on offer deals will happen (unless you are Bristol City ). But would Palace pay the sort of money we'd ask for a player who probably is a year away from being good enough for regular Premiership football ? I suppose if they can get him cheaper now than in a year it would make sense....

Good job Hector spent the summer playing for Jamaica then isn't it 8)

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 21 Aug 2015 17:20

jar95

Oh dear :shock:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Aug 2015 17:52

jar95

As far as club competitions are concerned, Hector is as English as Milner, and so is Fabregas. He's both home grown and, you know, English. Playing for Jamaica doesn't stop him counting as a home grown player, nor does it suddenly force him to re-adjust to English culture.

Anyway, Hector right now is a poor man's Mariappa. Stronger and taller, and more daring on the ball, but not as strong on the mental side of the game. I think we'd probably ask for about £6m, but that would be terrible value for Palace.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 21 Aug 2015 18:01

With the silly fees being banded around, he can go for £8m, or I'd take Gayle and £2m. Can't see this happening at all tho. A Palace fan has been trying this rumour out for the best part of a month. Hopefully it just escalated from there.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 Aug 2015 18:17

I will probably ask for a refund on my ST if Hector is sold.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Aug 2015 18:50

Unbeaten since he's been out of the team.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2015 19:33

palacefaninpeace Appreciate this may not go down well.

There has been some talk on our message boards that a deal for hector is in the works.
Wondering if
a)Anyone here has heard similar
b)You rate him highly
C) He would command a big fee.

Remember him playing very well against arsenal, but im afraid thats all ive seen of him.

We rate him highly.
With age, contract and Nicky Hammond negotiating you're looking at a high fee for sure.

Upwards of £5m I'd say... maybe into the realms of £8m+

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2015 19:38

P!ssed Off I will probably ask for a refund on my ST if Hector is sold.

Rather than pay £350 to watch a bloke sit on a bench you could have hung around Broad Street where loads of them do it all day, and it would have cost you nothing.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 Aug 2015 19:40

Nameless

Rather than pay £350 to watch a bloke sit on a bench you could have hung around Broad Street where loads of them do it all day, and it would have cost you nothing.

Thank goodness I'm not paying £350 to watch this crap.
And has Steve Clarke PM'd you to say Hector will be on the bench all season, or are you talking rubbish?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Aug 2015 20:04

Would take anything over a million, rivals Alex McCarthy for most overrated Reading player ever.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 21 Aug 2015 20:16

palacefaninpeace Appreciate this may not go down well.

There has been some talk on our message boards that a deal for hector is in the works.
Wondering if
a)Anyone here has heard similar
b)You rate him highly
C) He would command a big fee.

Remember him playing very well against arsenal, but im afraid thats all ive seen of him.

Would be a very good longer term investment. About a couple of seasons away from being a very good premiership player. If it wasn't for the form of Anton Ferdinand he would be an automatic choice. He's only young still so would command a fee of around £5m probably including a sell on clause. Only problem with him at the moment is that he tends to be a bit over-confident and this sometimes gets him in to trouble. A good buy and could be worth a lot more in a couple of years.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 21 Aug 2015 20:33

What's the point we won't actually spend any off the money we get in any kind of meaningful way, more just fritter it away on 8-9 signings over the next 6 years.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2015 21:40

P!ssed Off
Nameless

Thank goodness I'm not paying £350 to watch this crap.
And has Steve Clarke PM'd you to say Hector will be on the bench all season, or are you talking rubbish?

Well you started with the rubbish, so just thought it was polite to respond in kind.....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Aug 2015 22:28

sandman Would take anything over a million, rivals Alex McCarthy for most overrated Reading player ever.

He's only been overrated for a year tbf to him.

For example, in 2012, retro royal said:

Be very suprised if either become first team regulars for us, after tonights game. Know it's only one game but Hector seemed overawed by the game and Obita hasn't got enough pace and strength for Premiership/Championship

The first positive thing I can find someone saying on here is that he was a better first team prospect than Jack Mills and Angus MacDonald 8)

palacefaninpeace

by palacefaninpeace » 22 Aug 2015 01:35

McCarthy overrated?

Early doors, but was terrific against arsenal last weekend.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Aug 2015 01:43

palacefaninpeace McCarthy overrated?

Ignore him.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Aug 2015 06:45

palacefaninpeace McCarthy overrated?

Oh he's a good player, just overrated and prone to kicking or throwing the ball to the opposition striker.

Had actually forgotten he'd signed for Palace.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Aug 2015 10:11

Basically everyone on here used to really aggressively overhype McCarthy and would be hyper critical of Adam Federici even when we won the league and Federici was the best player in the team for large parts of the season. So I turned that around and started mimicking them and being hyper critical of McCarthy, they couldn't see their own behaviour and got really upset.

I've never really, possibly a few times in jest, disliked McCarthy but I also think that while he is good the "future England number 1" stuff spouted about him on here is and was a more than a little over the top. He may get in the squad and maybe play a few friendlies but he's not displacing Hart anytime soon. There are other prospects who are just as good as him, who are also younger and have room to grow.

We have had the same sort of hype with Hector. His first home game last season against Ipswich at home saw a passing post match comment from Anton Ferdinand about how Hector's display was reminiscent of his brother turned into a week of "he's the new Rio" on this portal. Sean Morrison, our ex captain who had just left for Cardiff, was inundated with messages on social media calling him all the names under the sun and crowing about how we didn't need him because we had Hector. Remember, this was after Hector had played one game.

I do get it, you bring a player through your own system who is even moderately good and people automatically want them to succeed, it's the same at all clubs. However, the only one that has really gone on to become an established PL regular and somewhat justify the HNA? hype is Gylfi.

323 posts